anomolous/outlying areas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:25:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  anomolous/outlying areas
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: anomolous/outlying areas  (Read 613 times)
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 30, 2020, 10:59:18 PM »

It seems like 2016 and 2020 have so realigned politics along cultural lines that you don't see the sort of outliers that you did even in 2012 when you still had Elliot County going for Obama while some Fairfield County suburbs voted heavily for Romney. Are there still any counties or even towns that to this day have voting patterns that don't make sense in the current alignment?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 11:25:29 PM »

I’d say most of rural New England don’t make “sense” as far as trends go. They should well be in the Republican column looking at the demographics of the area. SLC suburbs, Tulsa and Oklahoma City the same but the opposite directions.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 11:26:27 PM »

ANACONDA-BUTTE, MONTANA!

Well, more Anaconda than Butte.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 12:35:57 AM »
« Edited: December 31, 2020, 12:46:00 AM by Asenath Waite »

I’d say most of rural New England don’t make “sense” as far as trends go. They should well be in the Republican column looking at the demographics of the area. SLC suburbs, Tulsa and Oklahoma City the same but the opposite directions.

Well maybe they do make sense if we understand the current realignment as being shaped by regional and cultural factors as much (and probably moreso) then class ones. Working class new england yankees were Republicans (maybe the most blue collar of rockefeller republicans) when working class white southerners were Democrats so maybe it makes sense from a continuity perspective that they wouldn't be in the same party now either.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 12:52:33 AM »

Well maybe they do make sense if we understand the current realignment as being shaped by regional and cultural factors as much (and probably moreso) then class ones. Working class new england yankees were Republicans (maybe the most blue collar of rockefeller republicans) when working class white southerners were Democrats so maybe it makes sense from a continuity perspective that they wouldn't be in the same party now either.

I wasn’t so much thinking of class and more density. Across the country rural area whites are turning for the pubs while Urban areas are trending blue. Ofc it’s not so black and white
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 01:10:21 AM »

ANACONDA-BUTTE, MONTANA!

By the same token, you could also say that Duluth and surrounding areas belong in this category.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 01:18:05 AM »

ANACONDA-BUTTE, MONTANA!

By the same token, you could also say that Duluth and surrounding areas belong in this category.

Of course. Although Duluth proper is urban enough to make it not that anomalous.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 08:21:48 AM »

Isn't there one rural working class white county in Montana that even to this day is still firmly democratic? That might be the spiritual successor to Elliott, Kentucky I suppose
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 08:22:42 AM »

On the Dem side, the only ones really left are Deer Lodge, MT, Lake and Carlton, MN and Bayfield and Ashland, WI, in terms of rural WWC areas. Worth noting that Dems still hold a handful of state legislative seats in southern WV and eastern KY coal country.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 08:53:36 AM »

Isn't there one rural working class white county in Montana that even to this day is still firmly democratic? That might be the spiritual successor to Elliott, Kentucky I suppose

Yeah, that’s Deer Lodge County, MT. It’s certainly a unique place, and its continuing Democratic loyalty can be attributed to its history as the centre of the Anaconda copper mining company. As for why it is one of the only mining counties left to vote Democratic, it appears there are three main interrelated reasons:
a) Mining has been unviable there for decades now, so, unlike in Appalachia, there is no prospect of bringing it back which compels them to vote Republican.
b) Mining led to severe environmental degradation there, so voters are actually support Democratic environmental policies.
c) More generally, the Anaconda Company was absolutely despised by the workers and residents, with a history of labour conflict; this class-based voting seems to persist to this day.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 11:31:12 AM »

...it's exactly what I mentioned. Deer Lodge County (Anaconda).
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2020, 11:37:13 AM »

Calling Deer Lodge County "rural" is sort of mistaken. It's one quite compact small city surrounded by essentially uninhabited wilderness. The below street view (random street in Anaconda) doesn't scream "rural" to me, but this is where nearly all of the people in Deer Lodge County live.

https://goo.gl/maps/5tvcNMyAk3Zfd6FA6
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2020, 11:53:58 AM »

Although they're much smaller today due to depopulation, the Butte area was once upon a time the most important city in the region, and Anaconda was its industrial suburb. It isn't so different from the old working class suburbs along the Monongahela or Ohio outside of Pittsburgh--see Clairton, McKees Rock, Sewickley, etc. Both of those areas still vote D.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2020, 11:56:52 AM »

I wasn’t so much thinking of class and more density. Across the country rural area whites are turning for the pubs while Urban areas are trending blue. Ofc it’s not so black and white

I guess in that sense rural New England isn't so much an outlier as counter-cyclical. Same thing with Riley County Kansas.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 12:08:20 PM »

I guess in that sense rural New England isn't so much an outlier as counter-cyclical. Same thing with Riley County Kansas.

What makes New England an outlier is how many people went to college.  That's probably what's keeping it in the Dem column, especially the smaller, more homogenous states.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 12:17:18 PM »

Calling Deer Lodge County "rural" is sort of mistaken. It's one quite compact small city surrounded by essentially uninhabited wilderness. The below street view (random street in Anaconda) doesn't scream "rural" to me, but this is where nearly all of the people in Deer Lodge County live.

I certainly wouldn’t say that’s urban, especially when you look at the background. It seems quite classically small-town. If I was just shown that place and asked to guess how it voted, I would say Republican without any further context.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2020, 12:29:42 PM »

I certainly wouldn’t say that’s urban, especially when you look at the background. It seems quite classically small-town. If I was just shown that place and asked to guess how it voted, I would say Republican without any further context.

A lot of small town centers, even these days, vote Democratic, even as their outlying areas have gotten redder.

Tbh, that picture from Anaconda looks a lot like most residential urban areas in North Carolina in terms of density and architecture.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2020, 05:19:52 PM »

What makes New England an outlier is how many people went to college.  That's probably what's keeping it in the Dem column, especially the smaller, more homogenous states.

Democrats do far better with non college whites as well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies