East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:38:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 11780 times)
Kuumo

P P
« on: December 30, 2020, 09:41:15 PM »

Lauren Winters for Congress
December 2004 - June 2005

December 2004: Attend meetings with other Strafford County Democratic officials to discuss politics and future strategies for the party following Senator Kerry's defeat in the Presidential election.
February 2005: Discuss possible congressional campaign with other veterans of Howard Dean's New Hampshire campaign.
April 2005: Speak at University of New Hampshire event about involvement of young people in politics co-hosted by the College Democrats and College Republicans.
May 24th: Formally file exploratory committee.
May 25th: Hire the former assistant director of Howard Dean's New Hampshire campaign as campaign manager along with a few other staff members.
May 27th: Hire two web developers; one of them is a close college friend who helped create her campaign website for town administrator in 2001.
Late May-June: Set up campaign website to try to reach more younger voters.
June 3rd: Meet with the New Hampshire chapter of the League of Conservation Voters and tout green initiatives passed during term as Durham Town Administrator.
June 8th: File to run for Congress.
June 9th: Officially announce campaign at event in downtown Durham.

Quote from: Lauren Winters
For too long, Washington politicians have lost touch with the people of New Hampshire they are supposed to represent . . . tragically putting the interests of big corporations before those of the honest hard-working people we all know and love . . . It is unfortunate that the delegation of our state voted in favor of a trade deal that fails to protect our exports . . . The current President is willing to privatize social security while there continue to be millions of Americans without access to affordable healthcare . . . Big businesses continue to focus on their bottom lines without regard to the safety of the natural environment that we treasure here in the Granite State . . . That's why I'm running for Congress . . . As a fourth-generation New Hampshirite and the proud daughter of a long line of manufacturing and textile workers, I know your struggles and will fight tirelessly for the communities of the Merrimack Valley!

June 11th: Town hall in Dover.
June 12th: Dinner with environmental activist leaders in Dover.
June 16th: Town hall in Rochester.
June 17th: Meet with police and firefighter unions in Rochester.
June 18th-20th, 25th-27th: Barnstorm Strafford County, talking to voters in every single city and township in the county.
June 30th: Co-host dinner event in Dover with a bipartisan group of other local female officeholders encouraging more women in politics.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 09:00:41 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2021, 01:14:52 AM by Kuumo »

July 2005 - August 2005

July 4th: Give remarks as Durham town administrator before official Durham Independence Day events.
July 8th: Town hall and meet and greet in Portsmouth.
July 11th: Interview with New Hampshire Public Radio in Concord.

Lauren Winters' NHPR Interview (July 11th, 2004):
Jackie Stein: From WEVO in Concord, I'm Jackie Stein. The race for the House in 2006 is already ramping up, with Democrats seeing a chance at winning both seats in New Hampshire after Senator John Kerry's narrow victory in the state last year. With current Congressman Jeb Bradley's retirement in New Hampshire's first district, a large number of candidates have thrown their hats in the ring on both sides of the aisle. Today I'll be speaking with Durham town administrator Lauren Winters, who is running for the Democratic nomination in the first district.

Stein: Hello, Lauren.
Winters: Thank you for having me.
Stein: So to start off, what made you decide to run for Congress?
Winters: About five years ago, I looked at the problems in my community and decided that I wanted to take an active role in fixing those problems rather than just be a lawyer for the rest of my life. As Durham's town administrator, I have strived to reduce homelessness, promote education, and protect the environment in my hometown. With all the issues facing the country today, from the millions of uninsured Americans to the war in Iraq, I felt the same inspiration to get out there and do something about it.
Stein: What are the most important issues that you hope to address?
Winters: The people of New Hampshire have been ignored in Congress for too long. I hope to secure more funding to address the opioid epidemic that has ravaged our state and help reform the healthcare system to reduce the number of uninsured Americans. I will also fight for our manufacturing industry that has been hit hard by free trade in recent years. Finally, I believe we should begin scaling down our combat troop numbers in Iraq and make preparations to end the war as soon as we can.
Stein: Could you elaborate on your opinions on the war in Iraq?
Winters: The number one issue facing this country right now is the Iraq War. Too many of our men and women in uniform have given their lives in this war. I remember when I was seven and my uncle Frank died in the line of duty in Vietnam shortly before Thanksgiving. Growing up without him reminded me of the human cost of overseas entanglement. Ever since then I've been generally critical of U.S. involvement in wars overseas. The invasion of Iraq may have seemed like a good idea to many people two years ago, but it's now clear that the invasion has not benefitted America or Iraq and has not helped us put the perpetrators of 9/11 to justice.
Stein: What makes you stand out from the rest of the candidates?
Winters: I grew up in a close-knit family of six in Rochester. My father is a machinist who works for Albany International, so I'm no stranger to the struggles of the manufacturing industry in southeast New Hampshire. In my years as administrator of a small town, I haven't lost touch with my friends and neighbors and live just down the road from my alma mater UNH. I've also opposed the Iraq War from day one and will do everything in my power to end it and bring our troops back home.
Stein: If you are elected, you would be the first woman to represent New Hampshire in Congress. What is your advice to other women interested in entering politics?
Winters: To any woman who's on the fence about getting involved in politics, don't be afraid to put yourself out there. I remember having some doubts before running for town administrator as an unmarried woman with no prior political experience, but I'm confident today that I made the right choice.

Stein: That was Democratic congressional candidate Lauren Winters; we'll be back after a short break.

July 14th: Town hall and meet and greet in downtown Manchester.
July 15th: Meet with police, firefighters', and teachers' union leaders in Manchester.
July 16th-17th: Barnstorm Manchester.
July 18th: Barnstorm small towns and rural areas in Hillsborough and Merrimack counties within the district.
July 22nd: Town hall and meet and greet in Derry.
July 23rd-24th: Barnstorm Derry and surrounding towns.
July 30th: Town hall and meet and greet in Exeter.
July 31st: Town hall and meet and greet in Seabrook.
August 5th: Town hall and meet and greet in Laconia.
August 6th-8th: Barnstorm Belknap County, visiting each of the ten townships.
August 13th: Give speech in Wolfeboro about the importance of protecting the environment.
August 14th: Town hall and meet and greet in Conway.
August 19th: Give speech at fundraising dinner hosted by the New Hampshire chapter of the League of Conservation Voters in Manchester.
August 20th: Meet with pro-choice activists in Manchester.
August 26th-28th: Barnstorm Carroll County.
August 31st: Host voter registration drive on UNH campus in Durham.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 08:35:12 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2021, 02:21:15 AM by Kuumo »

September 2005

September 1st: Sign lease on office space in Manchester for second campaign office.
September 2nd: Town hall and meet and greet in Hampton.
September 3rd: Barnstorm Seacoast communities between Seabrook and Portsmouth.
September 4th: Barnstorm Portsmouth.
September 8th-11th: Help organize and host 9/11 memorial ceremony at Durham town hall.
September 16th: Town hall and meet and greet in Deerfield.

Quote from: Lauren Winters, Deerfield town hall, September 16th, 2005
Question: Would you support tightening restrictions on gun sales?
I do not support increased regulations on gun ownership. The vast majority of gun owners are responsible citizens who follow in a long tradition of hunting in our wild places here in New Hampshire. Mass shootings can be more effectively minimized through greater funding and accessibility of mental health services.

Question: Would you consider raising taxes, and if so, under what circumstances?
I would not vote to raise taxes on the middle class; I would only increase taxes on the moneyed elites who are all too willing to ship our jobs overseas and send our young men to war in the name of profit. America works best when we all pay our fair share and play by the rules.

September 17th: Barnstorm small towns and rural areas in northwestern Rockingham County.
September 19th-20th: Help set up Manchester campaign office.
September 23rd-24th: Town hall, meet and greet, and voter registration drive at SNHU in Manchester.

Quote from: Lauren Winters, Southern New Hampshire University town hall, September 23rd, 2005
Question: What is your position in the same-sex marriage debate?
Marriage itself is a religious matter that is not the business of the state. The role of public officials in this case is not to define marriage, but to ensure an acceptable quality of life for married couples and families. We live in a country founded on life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, where we strive to protect every person equally under the law. I support civil unions for same-sex couples because the opportunity to found a family is a universal human right.

Question: What are the primary sources of funding for your campaign?
My campaign raises our money through small individual donors here in the Granite State through our events and our website at www.laurenwintersfornh.com. We have also received donations from community activist groups across the state. We depend on people like you for our funding, not on mega-corporations and out-of-state lobbying groups.

September 25th-26th: Meet and greet and second voter registration drive at UNH in Durham.
September 30th: Meet and greet and voter registration drive at Great Bay Community College in Portsmouth.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 10:37:59 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2021, 12:22:37 AM by Kuumo »

October 2005

October 1st: Give speech at Manchester Community College announcing support for increasing the federal minimum wage to $8.50 per hour and making public two-year community colleges tuition-free for low-income, first-time students.

Quote from: Lauren Winters, Manchester Community College, October 1st, 2005
I've listened to people from Laconia to Portsmouth, and many of them have told me that the current system is broken. I've met countless parents who work multiple minimum wage jobs just to make sure there's enough food on the table for their children. I've spoken with college graduates the same age as me who are still paying off their student debt. Our current leaders in Washington say that we all just need to stop complaining and pull ourselves up by our bootstraps. They say that this is how America has always been, and that this is how America is supposed to work. They want you to think that everything is fine and there's nothing you can do to make a difference. But we will prove them wrong! We will make our voices heard in the halls of power and let them feel the power of the people. When I'm in Congress, I will not follow in the footsteps of my predecessors. I will fight to raise the minimum wage to $8.50 an hour. I will fight to make public community college tuition free. I will fight for a more equitable healthcare system. I will fight to end the war in Iraq. But most of all, I will do my part to speak out on behalf of people like you. You are the future of our community and of our great nation. Thank you! Thank you, and may God bless America.

October 5th: Meet with New Hampshire AFL-CIO in Hooksett and reiterate opposition to CAFTA-DR and support for raising the minimum wage to $8.50.
October 7th-9th: Barnstorm Manchester area.
October 13th: Dinner with State Senator Iris Estabrook in Portsmouth, discuss policy and possible endorsement.
October 15th: Co-host fundraiser for NARAL in Concord, pledging to oppose any future restrictions on abortion or contraception.

Quote from: Lauren Winters, Concord, October 15th, 2005
If I have the honor of serving as the first congresswoman from New Hampshire, I promise to always stand up for a woman's right to control her own body. I also hope to reform the healthcare system to minimize out-of-pocket expenses and improve coverage in poorer areas of our state.

October 18th: Moderate debate for Durham town administrator candidates.
October 20th: Meet with New Hampshire chapter of the Sierra Club in Concord and announce support for a ban on drilling in the National Arctic Wildlife Refuge and increasing funding for the EPA and Interior Department.
October 21st: Campaign rally in Dover.
October 22nd-23rd: Barnstorm Durham, Lee, Madbury, Dover, Rollinsford, and Somersworth.
October 28th: Campaign rally in Rochester with father Mark and younger sister Sarah, emphasizing opposition to CAFTA-DR and support for gradually raising the federal minimum wage to $8.50.
October 29th-30th: Barnstorm Rochester, Barrington, Strafford, Barnstead, Alton, New Durham, and Farmington.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 03:26:26 PM »

Lauren Winters Debate Answers

Opening Statement

Good evening. I would like to start by thanking WENH and my fellow candidates for making this debate possible. I’m standing on this stage tonight because I have a vision. A vision of a country where everyone has access to a stable job, sound infrastructure, clean air and water, quality education, and affordable healthcare. A vision of a country that doesn’t send its people overseas to fight the battles of others. A vision of a country that truly realizes the promise of the American dream. But the country we currently live in struggles with low wages, crumbling infrastructure, polluted waterways, underfunded education, skyrocketing premiums, and a never-ending war. As the daughter of a family of textile and manufacturing workers, I am no stranger to these issues. During my formative years, my uncle died in the line of duty, and my father lost his job during a recession. As the leader of the town council here in Durham, I have done my part to address some of these issues by crafting policies to improve infrastructure, protect the environment, and guarantee strong, functional schools. I hope to bring my perspective as an average American and small-town mayor to Washington and stop the inaction there.

How would you reform the American healthcare system?

I’ve talked to people across our state, and it’s clear that the current healthcare system is broken. Under the current system, health insurers are free to deny coverage to people with pre-existing conditions. Premiums have increased much faster than wages in the past ten years. Americans spend more money on healthcare than people in any other first-world country. The time for action is now. As Democrats, we need to go to back to owning our legacy as the creators of the New Deal and the Great Society. It’s far past time we had a public option for healthcare in this country. For starters, we need to stand up to big pharma to cut prescription drug costs. We need to pass legislation making it illegal for insurance providers to deny coverage based on pre-existing conditions. And most important of all, we should finish the work started under Lyndon Johnson by making Medicare an option for all Americans dissatisfied with their current insurance plan.

What is the biggest issue facing Granite staters today?

In addition to healthcare, the biggest issue here at home is the crumbling infrastructure. The massive flooding this month caused by a dam breaking in Alstead should be make it clear that there are serious consequences for bureaucratic negligence of our roads, bridges, and dams. My first action in Congress would be to co-sponsor a national infrastructure bill. Targeted investment in infrastructure would both boost our local economies and prevent tragedies like the devastating flooding across southwest New Hampshire. I believe that even in these polarized times we will be able to find common ground with our colleagues across the aisle on a large-scale federal infrastructure bill. The passage of such a bill would start to revitalize many corners of our state and our country that have been left behind by the Bush economy.

You've gotten attention from environmental groups for coming out against drilling in the ANWR. What should be America's energy independence strategy if not new drilling in Alaska? How would you fight for lower fuel costs for Granite staters?

I stand by my promise to oppose drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge. The amount of oil and natural gas produced by drilling there would be limited compared to the amount of money invested and the widespread environmental damage it would cause. My thoughts and prayers go out to the communities devastated by Hurricane Katrina, a sobering reminder of the deadly costs of our current energy policies. We will continue drilling for oil only in areas already open for drilling. In addition, we need to modernize our economy by transitioning from coal and oil to natural gas to decrease the amount of carbon emissions into the atmosphere. The domestic production of natural gas will also help maintain energy independence and lower fuel costs nationwide. At the same time, we should invest more federal funds into developing wind, solar, and nuclear power to ultimately both minimize carbon emissions and end U.S. dependence on foreign oil.

Rebuttal Period, To David O'Connor

I do not doubt that Mr. O’Connor means well in his support for green energy and opposition to the war in Iraq. But do we really want him to represent us in Congress? He is part of the Washington establishment that has failed us for decades. He has spent much of his time at big donor fundraisers while I’ve been out talking and listening face-to-face with viewers like you. While Mr. O’Connor was profiting off corporate tax cuts at a Boston bank, I was working two jobs while in undergrad at UNH to help support my family in the early 1980s recession. I would also like to remind you that while I have consistently opposed military intervention my entire career, Mr. O’Connor says he will be a congressman like Senator Kerry, who, while being someone I deeply respect as a veteran and public servant, made a serious mistake in voting to authorize military force in Iraq. One of my personal political heroes is the late Senator Paul Wellstone, who was never afraid to vote his conscience even at the cost of political expediency. His entire career was spent tirelessly fighting for those left behind by the system. Weeks before an election, he bravely took a stand and voted against intervening in Iraq despite political pressure to support it. So ask yourselves this: would you prefer a career politician who would serve as just another foot soldier for the party leadership or would you prefer an independent voice with sincere convictions willing to stand up for her family, friends, and neighbors here in New Hampshire.

Closing Statement

I offer my thanks again to WENH, my fellow candidates, the moderators, and our viewers. I hope to serve as an independent voice for the Granite state not beholden to the special interests that have plagued both parties in recent decades. I hope to bring our party back to its roots as the party that listens, the party that understands, the party unafraid to think big in times of crisis. But most of all I hope to continue looking out for the people of my community as I have in my years in Durham’s town hall. Thanks again, and good luck to all of you viewers on making your choice.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 05:35:29 PM »

November 2005 - December 2005

November 4th: Barnstorm Wakefield, Wolfeboro, and Tuftonboro.

Quote from: Winters Campaign Press Release, November 4th, 2005
It is unfortunate that Rep. Sanders's amendment to prevent searches of library and bookstore records with Justice Department funds under the USA PATRIOT Act was cut from the final SSJC appropriations bill passed today. Lauren Winters strongly supports the repeal of such government surveillance policies that violate the individual liberties our country was founded to protect.

November 5th: Barnstorm Ossipee, Effingham, Freedom, Madison, Tamworth, and Sandwich.
November 6th: Attend a League of Conservation Voters dinner.
November 11th: Preside over annual Veteran's Day parade in Durham.
November 12th: Town hall and meet and greet in Conway.
November 13th: Barnstorm Conway, Bartlett, and Hart's Location.
November 24th-27th: Thanksgiving with family in Rochester.

December 1st: Meet with small business owners in Manchester.
December 2nd-3rd: Barnstorm Manchester, disseminate campaign flyers.
December 6th: Co-host League of Women Voters voter registration drive in Dover.
December 9th: Pledge to protect public lands in speech outside White Mountain National Forest.
December 10th-11th: Barnstorm Portsmouth, disseminate campaign flyers.
December 13th: Meet with State Senator Maggie Hassan in Exeter, discuss education, healthcare, and trade policy and possible endorsement.
December 16th-18th: Barnstorm Dover and Rochester, disseminate campaign flyers.
December 22nd-23rd: Volunteer at charity in Manchester wrapping presents for homeless children.
December 24th-26th: Christmas with family in Rochester.
December 27th-31st: Help organize New Year's Eve festivities in Durham.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 08:35:22 AM »

January 2006

January 1st: Celebrate New Year's at home in Durham.
January 3rd: Meet with Professional Firefighters of New Hampshire in Concord and thank them for endorsement.
January 6th: Town hall and meet and greet in Manchester.
January 7th-8th: Barnstorm Manchester.
January 10th: Phonebank with supporters in Rochester.
January 13th: Town hall and meet and greet in Dover.
January 14th-15th: Barnstorm Dover and Rochester.
January 21st-22nd: Voter registration drive at UNH.
January 23rd-24th: Barnstorm Laconia, Wolfeboro, Ossipee, and Conway.
January 24th: Speak at meeting of SNHU chapter of the College Democrats in Manchester.
January 25th: Voter registration drive at SNHU.
January 27th: Campaign event with State Senator Iris Estabrook in Portsmouth.
January 28th-29th: Barnstorm Durham, Portsmouth, Hampton, and Exeter.
January 31th: Meet with State Senator Maggie Hassan in Concord, discuss healthcare and environmental policy and possible endorsement.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 08:23:31 PM »

February 2006 - April 2006

February 3rd: Town hall in Hooksett.
February 4th-5th: Barnstorm Hooksett and other towns surrounding Manchester.
February 7th: Moderate second debate for Durham town administrator candidates.
February 10th: Phonebank with supporters in Dover.
February 11th: Barnstorm Dover.
February 16th: Speak at meeting of UNH College Democrats.
February 17th-19th: Barnstorm Epping, Deerfield, Derry, Londonderry, Kingston, Seabrook, Hampton, and Rye.
February 24th-26th: Barnstorm Rochester and Portsmouth.
February 27th: Speak at meeting of UNH College Feminists.

March 3rd: Town hall in Durham.
March 4th: Barnstorm Durham, Madbury, Lee, Newmarket, Newfields, and Exeter.
March 7th: Help administer Durham town elections.
March 8th-20th: Oversee town council transition period.
March 21st: Term as town administrator expires, successor sworn in.
March 23rd: Rally outside Wapack National Wildlife Refuge calling for more stringent protections for public lands and increased funding for the EPA and Department of the Interior.
March 24th: Town hall in Laconia.
March 25th-26th: Barnstorm Belknap County, disseminate campaign flyers.
March 29th: Town hall in Conway.
March 30th-31st: Barnstorm Carroll County, disseminate campaign flyers.

April 6th-8th: Barnstorm Manchester area, disseminate campaign flyers.
April 11th: Visit nursing home in Manchester, call for increasing Medicare benefits.
April 14th-15th: Barnstorm Rochester and Dover, disseminate campaign flyers.
April 16th: Attend church, take break from campaigning on Easter.
April 20th: Phonebank with supporters in Manchester.
April 21-23rd: Barnstorm Portsmouth and Seacoast region, disseminate campaign flyers.
April 24th-28th: Work with campaign staff on drafts for radio and YouTube ads.
April 29th: Co-host fundraiser for League of Conservation Voters in Concord.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 03:10:19 AM »
« Edited: March 08, 2021, 07:24:40 PM by Frémont Nationalist Old Idahoan »

May 2006

May 1st: Voter registration drive in Rochester.
May 2nd: Phonebank with supporters in Rochester.
May 3th-6th: Barnstorm Rochester and Dover.
May 8th: Rally in Exeter with State Senator Maggie Hassan.
May 9th: Voter registration drive in Derry.
May 10th-13th: Barnstorm Derry, Londonderry, Auburn, Candia, Bedford, and Merrimack.
May 16th: Town hall and voter registration drive in Manchester.
May 17th-20th: Barnstorm Manchester.
May 22nd: Campaign ads released on YouTube and radio.

Quote from: Lauren Winters campaign ad
*YouTube version shows Winters standing in the central square in Rochester*

"Hello, I'm Lauren Winters. I'm running for Congress because everyday Americans are being left behind. In recent years, our factories have closed, our wild places have been polluted, and our healthcare and education costs more than ever. Career politicians in Washington continue to ship our jobs out of the country and waste our taxpayer dollars on costly wars overseas. Growing up in Rochester, I experienced the very human costs of these policies firsthand when my uncle Frank died in Vietnam and when my father was laid off from his job as a machinist. As mayor of Durham, I expanded public education, enacted green policies, and kept in touch with my friends and neighbors. As your Representative, I will bring a fresh, open perspective to Washington and stop the cycle of inaction."

"I'm Lauren Winters, and I approve this message."

May 23rd-24th: Barnstorm Portsmouth.
May 25th-27th: Barnstorm Rye, Hampton, Hampton Falls, Seabrook, Kensington, and Kingston.
May 29th: Meet with Iraq Veterans Against the War members in Manchester, highlight opposition to the Iraq War and support for overhauling the mental health care system in the military.
May 30th-31st: Barnstorm Wolfeboro, Ossipee, Effingham, Freedom, and Conway.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 02:42:00 AM »
« Edited: March 08, 2021, 07:27:02 PM by Frémont Nationalist Old Idahoan »

June 2006 -  August 2006

June 1st: Town hall in Farmington.
June 2nd-3rd: Barnstorm Farmington, Milton, Wakefield, Brookfield, Middleton, New Durham, Wolfeboro, and Alton.
June 6th-8th: Barnstorm Durham, Madbury, Lee, Nottingham, Deerfield, Northwood, Strafford, and Barrington.
June 9th-10th: Barnstorm Rochester.
June 12th: Phonebank with supporters in Dover.
June 13th-16th: Barnstorm Dover, Somersworth, Rollinsford, and Newington.
June 19th: Town hall in Portsmouth.

Quote from: Lauren Winters, Portsmouth town hall, June 19th, 2006
Question: Is it true that you support a move toward automatic voter registration in New Hampshire and other states?
Yes; I strongly support expanding access to voting because it encourages more civic participation from people in all walks of life. This is just the logical next step of the Motor Voter Act that made it easy to register to vote after applying for a driver's license. Anyone who didn't want to register would be able to opt out; the insinuations from the right about lack of choice are unfounded. The only people who should fear automatic voter registration are those who would prefer fewer people voting so they can ignore the concerns of the less fortunate.

June 20th-22nd: Barnstorm Portsmouth.
June 23rd-24th: Barnstorm New Castle, Rye, North Hampton, Hampton, Seabrook, Exeter, and Epping.
June 26th: Phonebank with supporters in Manchester.
June 27th: Meet with tech startup leaders in Manchester. Announce support for more government investment in the tech industry.
June 28th-30th: Barnstorm Manchester.

July 1st: Barnstorm Manchester.
July 3rd: Town hall in Derry.
July 4th: Celebrate Independence Day in Durham.
July 5th-7th: Barnstorm Derry, Londonderry, Auburn, Candia, Raymond, Fremont, Kingston, and Newton.
July 8th: Joint rally with State Senator Iris Estabrook in Portsmouth.
July 10th: Phonebank and sign wave with supporters in Portsmouth.
July 11th-12th: Barnstorm Portsmouth.
July 13th: Attend a Sierra Club fundraiser in Concord.
July 14th: Joint rally with State Senator Maggie Hassan in Brentwood.
July 17th: Town hall in Somersworth.
July 18th: Phonebank and sign wave with supporters in Dover.
July 19th-20th: Barnstorm Dover.
July 21st: Meet with October 2005 flood survivors and town fire department in Alstead. Announce support for infrastructure programs to maintain rural bridges and roads and assist with planting new trees in the town.
July 24th-25th: Discuss possible new strategies and campaign ads with campaign manager.
July 26th: Phonebank and sign wave with supporters in Rochester.
July 27th-28th: Barnstorm Rochester.
July 29th: Co-host fundraiser for Strafford County Democratic Party in Dover.
July 31st: Work with campaign staff on new ads.

August 1st-2nd: Work with campaign staff on new ads.
August 3rd: Town hall in Manchester.
August 4th: Phonebank and sign wave with supporters in Manchester.
August 5th: Joint rally with Democratic state house candidates in Rochester.
August 7th: Meet with Rochester fire department, highlight support for increased protections for firefighters, rural infrastructure development, and raising the minimum wage to $8.50 per hour.
August 8th-9th: Barnstorm Rochester.
August 10th: Town hall in Dover.
August 11th-12th: Barnstorm Dover.
August 14th-15th: Work with campaign staff on finalizing ads.
August 16th-19th: Barnstorm Portsmouth.
August 21st: Town hall in Exeter.
August 21st: New YouTube ad goes online.

Quote from: Lauren Winters new YouTube campaign ad
*slideshow with photos of abandoned factories, war zones in Iraq, and Hurricane Katrina destruction accompanied by somber music*

Lauren Winters: "The world today is an unforgiving place. Decades of inaction by America's leaders haven't made it any better."

*video cuts to Winters standing at the top of a peak in the White Mountains*

"That's why I'm running for Congress. As a lifelong New Hampshirite, I've always stood for protecting our public lands, safeguarding our jobs, and defending our healthcare. I'm not afraid to challenge the system to fight for the livelihoods of my family, friends, and neighbors and for the future they will pass on to their children. So chip in just one dollar for the future."

"I'm Lauren Winters, and I approve this message."

August 22nd-25th: Barnstorm Manchester.
August 26th: Phonebank with supporters in Durham.
August 27th-30th: Debate preparation.
August 28th: New radio ad goes on air on WGIR in Manchester and WQSO in Rochester, Dover, and Portsmouth.

Quote from: New radio ad
Russel Morgan: "Councilor Benjamin Smith."
Benjamin Smith: "I am running for Congress because I believes New Hampshire needs a conservative voice to stand with President Bush."

Tom Griffith: "How do we get back to a balanced budget?"
Benjamin Smith: "Democratic administrations have refused to address the issues that Social Security and Medicare are becoming financially insolvent. I believe we need to privatize these programs at least partially to free up some funding for the federal government, and I commended President Bush's efforts on this front."

Russel Morgan: "What is your view on the American presence in Iraq?"
Benjamin Smith: "I believe that we should consider a surge of troops in Iraq."

Narrator: "Benjamin Smith proudly supports privatizing your Social Security and Medicare and can't wait to send a surge of more troops to Iraq. Do you really want an conservative extremist congressman for southeast New Hampshire?"

*ominous music*

Lauren Winters: "I'm Lauren Winters, and I approve this message."
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 12:25:27 AM »

Opening Statement

Hello, I’m Lauren Winters. I would like to thank WENH and the New Hampshire Gazette for hosting us tonight. Our nation stands at a crossroads today. Do we want to continue standing by while millions cannot afford healthcare, our men in uniform continue to die in Iraq, our environment is recklessly exploited, and our crumbling infrastructure leaves us vulnerable to natural disasters? Or do we want to get to work and start addressing these problems? In my years as mayor of Durham, I worked with and listened to my friends and neighbors to strengthen our community, and I will do the same for the people of southeast New Hampshire.

Should President Bush be impeached?

I know that some of my supporters may be disappointed to hear this, but it’s too early for me to commit one way or the other. We certainly must have Congress investigate to determine whether he committed impeachable offenses. The Scooter Libby incident and the President’s false claim that Iraq was developing "weapons of mass destruction" show that we cannot take the current administration at their word. The lack of oversight in the federal government is another major problem that sorely needs change, and if we take back the House this November, we’ll bring that accountability back to the American people.

How would you bring more jobs to New Hampshire?

For starters, we should consider the impact of some of our recent trade deals such as CAFTA-DR on our local economy. The last few decades have been brutal for the manufacturing industry in cities like Manchester and Rochester. We need to renegotiate these trade deals and protect the exports that made our state what it is today. In addition to protecting existing jobs, we have a great opportunity to pass an infrastructure plan to revitalize our rural areas and invest in our budding tech industry to bring more jobs to our cities.

You’ve made a few statements indicating potential support for a Canadian-style single payer system. Care to elaborate?

Thank you for asking. I do support a single payer healthcare plan. Contrary to common belief, this would not eliminate private insurance. In Canada and many other first-world countries, private insurers still have a place in providing supplemental coverage for benefits such as dental care and prescription drugs not covered by the public healthcare system. We are well past the time for half measures. Thanks to their undue influence in Washington, the big insurance and pharma companies are still free to deny care to individuals with pre-existing conditions and charge exorbitant prices for life-saving drugs that are affordable north of the border. Healthcare is a right, not a privilege. In earlier generations, not every American had the right to vote. There were no restrictions on child labor and no minimum wages. Some of our older viewers remember a time before Medicare and Medicaid were options. What I’m proposing isn’t spooky, scary socialized medicine; it’s the logical next step to making America a place where anyone can have the opportunity to succeed.

Closing Statement

I’d like to offer my thanks again to WENH and the New Hampshire Gazette for making this debate possible. But most of all I want to thank all of you viewers for tuning in this evening. I stand here today not as a hero, but as a neighbor and friend. I’ve spent the last year travelling across our state and listening to people from all walks of life. Whether you live in a town or on a farm, whether you’re young or old, whether you’re a Democrat, a Republican, or an Independent, I want your voice to matter. If there’s one thing I want you to take away from tonight, go out and vote. While I hope that you’ll support me, your participation in the civic process strengthens our country by telling it what you think is best. Thank you!
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2021, 03:50:57 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2021, 06:09:30 PM by Frémont Nationalist Kuumo »

September 1st, 2006 - September 12th, 2006

September 1st: Town hall and voter registration drive at UNH, barnstorm Durham.
September 2nd-3rd: Barnstorm Rochester.
September 4th: Meet with leadership of Teamsters 633 TCWH Local, IBEW 2320, and Professional Firefighters of New Hampshire in Manchester, thank them for endorsements and share contact information of member supporters to assist with get out the vote efforts.

Quote from: Lauren Winters, Manchester Labor Day event, September 4th, 2006
I am proud to accept your support on this day commemorating the accomplishments of the American labor movement! Generations of hard work from people like you made our country great. Unfortunately, our current representatives in Congress have favored multinational corporations over their own state's workers through one-sided trade deals and reckless deregulation. Under my watch, your concerns won't go ignored in Washington any longer. If elected, I promise to fight for the safety and security of the working men and women of New Hampshire.

September 5th: Town hall and voter registration drive at SNHU, barnstorm Manchester.
September 6th: Barnstorm Manchester.
September 7th-8th: Barnstorm Dover.
September 9th: Rally in Portsmouth with State Senators Iris Estabrook and Maggie Hassan.

Quote from: Lauren Winters, Portsmouth rally, September 9th, 2006
Are we angry about the rampant corruption, overseas outsourcing, meddling with Social Security, and never-ending wars? You bet we are. We're going to send a message to George W. Bush and his lobbyist friends in Washington! As President Truman would have said, the buck stops here. Remember to vote on Tuesday, everyone!

September 10th: Barnstorm Portsmouth.
September 11th: Attend 9/11 memorial ceremony in Durham hosted by new town council.
September 12th: Rally in Manchester with Senator Russ Feingold and Representative Bernie Sanders.

Quote from: Lauren Winters, Portsmouth rally, September 12th, 2006
Senator Feingold and Congressman Sanders are here with me today because we share a vision. A vision of a nation where affordable, quality healthcare is available to everyone. A vision of a nation where we can live free without fear of government surveillance. A vision of a nation where our wild places are valued and preserved for future generations. And most of all, we want a nation that fully lives up to the ideal of "government of the people, by the people," and "for the people." That's why we're counting on you to make a difference by going out and voting in full force! I'm feeling good about our chances today! Thank you, and may God bless America!
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2021, 04:55:38 PM »

Surrogate Schedules

Iris Estabrook

September 1st: Rally in Portsmouth.
September 2nd-3rd: Barnstorm Portsmouth, Rye, and Dover.
September 8th: Rally in Rochester.
September 9th: Rally in Portsmouth with Lauren Winters and Maggie Hassan.
September 10th: Barnstorm Newington, Greenland, Newmarket, and Durham.
September 12th: Rally in Dover.

Russ Feingold

September 8th: Rally in Manchester.
September 9th: Rallies in Durham and Dover.
September 10th: Rally in Portsmouth.
September 12th: Rally in Manchester with Lauren Winters and Bernie Sanders.

Maggie Hassan

September 1st: Rally in Exeter.
September 2nd-3rd: Barnstorm Exeter, Stratham, Hampton, Seabrook and Kensington.
September 8th: Rally in Derry.
September 9th: Rally in Portsmouth with Lauren Winters and Iris Estabrook.
September 10th: Barnstorm Dover.
September 12th: Rally in Exeter.

Bernie Sanders

September 8th-10th: Recorded robocalls go out to numbers of Winters supporters in Dover, Durham, Manchester, and Portsmouth.
September 12th: Rally in Manchester with Lauren Winters and Russ Feingold.

Campaign volunteers barnstorm all over the district for the two-week period, particularly in the Conway, Deerfield, Derry, Dover, Durham, Manchester, Laconia, Londonderry, Portsmouth, Rochester, Seabrook, and Wolfeboro areas.

Rented campaign buses transport supporters without cars to the polls in Dover, Manchester, Portsmouth, and Rochester on Election Day.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 03:19:40 AM »

September 13th, 2006 - October 31st, 2006

September 13th-14th: Help plan for the general election with campaign staff.
September 15th: Town hall in Manchester.
September 16th-18th: Barnstorm Manchester, Auburn, Hooksett, Goffstown, Bedford, and Merrimack.
September 19th: Phonebank with supporters in Dover.
September 20th: Meet with union leaders in Dover.
September 21st: Town hall in Hampstead.
September 22nd-24th: Barnstorm Derry, Londonderry, Hampstead, Chester, Raymond, Deerfield, Epping, Brentwood, and Kingston.
September 27th: Town hall in Seabrook.
September 28th-30th: Barnstorm Rye, North Hampton, Hampton, Seabrook, South Hampton, Kensington, Exeter, Newfields, and Newmarket.

October 1st: Phonebank with supporters in Portsmouth.
October 2nd: Town hall in Dover.
October 3rd-5th: Barnstorm Dover, Rollinsford, Somersworth, Newington, and Portsmouth.
October 6th: Meet with union leaders in Rochester.
October 7-8th: Barnstorm Rochester, Milton, Farmington, Middleton, Wakefield, and Wolfeboro.
October 10th: Voter registration drive at SNHU in Manchester.
October 11th: Meet with union leaders in Laconia.
October 12th: Town hall in Alton.
October 13th: Barnstorm Alton, Barnstead, Gilmanton, and Center Harbor.
October 14th: Rally in Laconia with Kyle Millenberg.
October 15th: Barnstorm Laconia and Gilford.
October 16th: Meet with environmentalist activist leaders in Manchester.
October 17th: Voter registration drive at UNH.
October 18th: Town hall in Deerfield.
October 19th: Barnstorm Deerfield, Nottingham, Barrington, and Northwood.
October 20th: Meet with pro-choice activists in Portsmouth.
October 23rd: Town hall in Freedom.
October 24th-27th: Barnstorm Wolfeboro, Tuftonboro, Moutonborough, Ossipee, Effingham, Freedom, Madison, Conway, Jackson, Bartlett, and Hart's Location.
October 28th: Rally in Conway with Bill Fiske.
October 29th-30th: Debate preparation.
October 31st: Hand out candy to trick-or-treaters in Durham.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 03:58:01 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2021, 01:21:04 PM by Frémont Nationalist Kuumo »

Opening Statement

Thank you to PBS, the Union Leader, and WMUR for making this debate possible. I’m not running for Congress today as another promise big, do nothing, career politician. I’m running as a no-nonsense community member who will fight to bring openness and accountability back to Washington. I’ve worked hard to build a stronger community as mayor of Durham by improving infrastructure, protecting the environment, and guaranteeing strong schools. And I hope to continue my mission on a wider scale as a member of Congress.

What is the biggest national security threat to America today?

The greatest threat to America right now is Islamic terrorism. We must remain vigilant overseas and at home to combat this threat, while making sure not to violate human rights. We need to tackle this issue at its root; this battle will never end if we just try to kill all the terrorists. We should consider the reasons this became a problem in the first place. When our influence reaches every corner of the globe, for better and for worse, it’s inevitable that the people of other countries will be colored by what they see of us. When they see a foreign nation invading their country and bombing their homes, it makes it easier for them to be swayed by hateful leaders who seek to murder us. We must be tough but humble; we must stand for our own interests without encroaching on the rights of others.

How serious is the threat of a nuclear Iran?

A nuclear-armed Iran would be a catastrophe for any possibility of peace and stability in the Middle East. We have seen Iran fund terrorist groups in Iraq and threaten the sovereignty of its neighbors. Their current leadership incites sectarian violence and wants Israel ‘wiped off the map.’ A successful Iranian nuclear program would destabilize the region even further. To prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons, we need to get on the same page with our European allies and agree to a multinational sanctions strategy with the other world powers to deter Iran from continuing their nuclear program.

Generally speaking, is government the problem or the solution?

If we truly lived in a fair and equal society, we wouldn’t need much of a government. But I’ve met many honest, hard-working people who barely scrape by paycheck to paycheck, some of them with young children, that deserve better than what our system has to offer. I’ve met people who lost their jobs to outsourcing. I’ve met people with serious health conditions that don’t have healthcare. I’ve met people who were financially ruined when their homes were destroyed by flooding. Cutting red tape for corporations isn’t going to make these people’s lives better. What we need are better safeguards to prevent them from falling through the cracks. We didn’t get out of the Great Depression by slashing the corporate tax rate. We recovered through targeted programs to get everyday Americans back to work and stimulating the economy again. And I don’t hate businesses. I’ve talked to owners of small-town mom-and-pop restaurants and founders of tech startups here in Manchester that want a stronger social safety net and more aggressive anti-trust laws and penalties against outsourcing. Only by using government action when necessary will we achieve the fair and equal society that we strive for.

Do you believe the American economy is sound?

The numbers for the economy look great if you only look at the stock market. And this would be an accurate assessment for the people and companies who put money in the stock exchange. But we also have to consider everyone else. Over the last 20 years, wage growth has not kept up with GDP growth because the top earners are reaping the lion’s share of gains in our current economy. Looking at past periods of growth like this, it’s not sustainable. The last few times we had unchecked speculation, we hit a recession five or ten years down the line. If we don’t act to protect our workers and consumers, I fear the same could happen again.

Why do you support single-payer healthcare?

I support single-payer healthcare because it would cover more people and provide higher quality care than our current system. We have an inconsistent, dysfunctional healthcare system where insurers can deny coverage to people with pre-existing conditions. Where premiums have skyrocketed while wages have stagnated. Where common prescription drugs like insulin cost five times as much as north of the border. The big insurance and pharma companies have run roughshod over consumers for too long. A single-payer system would expand affordable healthcare to millions of currently uninsured Americans and bring accountability to the drug industry.

Rebuttal

I’m curious which portions of the Patriot Act Senator Parsons supports and which he opposes. For a person typically glad to dig into policy, he didn’t point to any specific provisions such as roving wiretaps or sneak-and-peek warrants or National Security Letters that he objected to. Instead, there were just a few mundane statements about supporting efforts to combat terrorism and supporting civil liberties and not much of substance. He is right to oppose the Patriot Act, but I can’t help but question the sincerity of his opinions on the matter.

Closing Statement

Well, thanks again Russel, Wesley, and Ray for hosting us. And also thank you to our viewers for tuning in tonight. Twenty-five years ago, I never would have guessed I would be standing here today. My father had just been laid off as I was starting college at UNH. It felt like it was all over. But we overcame with a lot of hard work and the moral support of family and friends. I am forever thankful to them for making me the person I am now. I hope to repay the people of my community by fighting to help them in hard times as they did for me. Thank you again, and good luck on making your choice.

Note: I accidentally edited this post instead of creating a new post. I have kept the words as they were when I posted the first time.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 01:04:00 PM »

Rebuttal 2

Let me remind our viewers that I have supported our actions in Afghanistan to combat radical Islamic terrorism. Like the Pearl Harbor attacks before it, we were attacked on our own soil on 9/11 and needed a strong response to put its perpetrators to justice. What I don't support is the constant cycle of forever wars in far-flung corners of the globe. Particularly when the invasion of a foreign country is based on the lie of "weapons of mass destruction"! Sometimes wars are justified. American will rid the world of Nazism in World War II. But when our President sends our men in uniform to fight and give their lives in a years-long battle on the other side of the world based on a false pretense with no clear objective, we need to reconsider our foreign policy. As someone with an uncle who died in the line of duty, we cannot treat our own peoples' lives as if they are expendable. I am frankly offended that Senator Parsons would question my patriotism based on my willingness to protect American lives and belief that we should fight only our own battles.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 05:12:44 PM »

November 1st, 2006 - November 7th, 2006

November 1st: Rally in Manchester with Senator Barack Obama, barnstorm Manchester.

Quote from: Lauren Winters, Manchester rally, November 1st, 2006
Over the last few years, we've had to deal with the consequences of an incompetent and out-of-touch President. We've had cuts in funding for struggling public schools. We've seen more of our manufacturing jobs shipped off to sweatshops in China and Mexico. We've seen a disastrous response to one of the deadliest and costliest hurricanes ever. And we've become embroiled in a years-long conflict in Iraq based on a false pretense. I am here with Senator Obama today because we both have hope for a brighter future. At the end of the day, a vote for Senator Parsons is a vote for the status quo. A vote for me will give you a voice for lasting change in Washington. Thank you!

November 2nd: Barnstorm Manchester, Hooksett, Candia, Londonderry, and Derry.
November 3rd: Rally in Portsmouth with Mayor Steve Marchand, barnstorm Portsmouth.
November 4th: Rally in Seabrook with Governor John Lynch, barnstorm Seabrook, Hampton Falls, Hampton, Rye, and Portsmouth.
November 5th: Rally in Exeter, barnstorm Exeter, Epping, Nottingham, Deerfield, Northwood, Strafford, and Laconia, rally in Laconia with Kyle Millenberg.

Quote from: Lauren Winters, Laconia rally, November 5th, 2006
It's time that we stop electing people beholden to corporate donors who constantly change their positions based on what paid consultants tell them. I am have proudly refused the donations of corporate PACs in my campaign and will stay true to my values by fighting for campaign finance reform in Congress. I will also fight to protect the civil liberties we hold dear in the "Live Free or Die" state. I will stand strong against FBI overreach into your phone and electronic records by introducing amendments to the Patriot Act limiting the use of roving wiretaps and unwarranted searches of private communications and financial statements.

November 6th: Rally in Conway with Bill Fiske, barnstorm Conway, Wolfeboro, Freedom, Ossipee, and Rochester, rally in Rochester.

Quote from: Lauren Winters, Rochester rally, November 6th, 2006
This place is my home. Ever since my great-grandparents moved here from Massachusetts 100 years ago, my family has lived and worked in the Rochester and Dover areas. I could easily have been one of the typical ladder-climbing politicians who go off to law school far from home, mingle with the ultra-rich, work various prestigious jobs in Washington to build up their resumes, and return to their former homes to run for office as a ticket to try to join the ranks of powerful elites they always looked up to. Instead, I was eager to return to my family and community where I truly belong. I am running for Congress today as someone who has strived to make her community better as Durham's mayor. Throughout my life, it has pained me to see the closure of the factories and warehouses that brought my ancestors to this state a century ago. It hurts to see how many people here have to get by without healthcare. I've witnessed the effects of crumbling infrastructure and an ever-worsening opioid epidemic. As mayor of Durham, I did my best to make my town a better place but always wished to address these vital issues for my state and country.

November 7th: Barnstorm Rochester, Dover, Rollinsford, and Somersworth, final rally in Dover.

Surrogate Schedules

Bill Fiske
November 1st-3rd: Barnstorm Carroll County.
November 4th: Barnstorm Dover.
November 5th: Barnstorm Portsmouth.
November 6th: Barnstorm Durham, Newmarket, Exeter, Stratham, Rye, Hampton, and Seabrook.
November 7th: Barnstorm Conway, Madison, Eaton, and Freedom.

John Kerry
November 5th: Barnstorm Dover.
November 6th: Barnstorm Manchester.

John Lynch
November 4th: Rally in Seabrook with Lauren Winters.
November 5th-6th: Recorded robocalls go out to numbers of Winters supporters throughout the district.

Steve Marchand
November 1st-7th: Barnstorm Portsmouth, lead GOTV efforts in the Portsmouth area.

Kyle Millenberg
November 1st-3rd: Barnstorm Belknap County.
November 4th: Barnstorm Deerfield, Candia, Raymond, Chester, Derry, Sandown, Hempstead, and Kingston.
November 5th: Rally in Laconia with Lauren Winters.
November 6th-7th: Barnstorm Belknap County.

Barack Obama
November 1st: Rally in Manchester with Lauren Winters.
November 2nd: Barnstorm Manchester.
November 3rd: Barnstorm Rochester and Dover.
November 4th: Barnstorm Portsmouth.

Jeanne Shaheen
November 1st-4th: Barnstorm Strafford County.
November 5th: Barnstorm Portsmouth.
November 6th: Barnstorm Manchester.

Firefighters', industrial, and teachers' unions lead GOTV efforts in Dover, Laconia, Manchester, Portsmouth, and Rochester from November 4th-7th.

Campaign volunteers barnstorm all over the district for the one-week period, particularly in the Conway, Deerfield, Derry, Dover, Durham, Manchester, Laconia, Londonderry, Portsmouth, Rochester, Seabrook, and Wolfeboro areas.

Rented campaign buses transport supporters without cars to the polls in Derry, Dover, Manchester, Portsmouth, and Rochester on Election Day.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies