East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:52:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 11515 times)
Brother Jonathan

« on: December 30, 2020, 06:47:34 PM »

Jabez Parsons, activities from December 2004 to June 2005
November 2004: Re-elected as State Senator for District 17
December 2004: Help organize the GOP State Senate caucus for the upcoming session. Visit Washington DC to meet with old friends Sens Lugar, Warner, and McCain to discuss politics, and former Sec. of States Eagleburger, Schultz, and Kissinger to discuss foreign policy.
January 2005: Meet with Rep. Jeb Bradley at his New Hampshire office.
March 2005: Preside as Moderator at Chester Town Meeting
April 2005: Host fundraiser for the New Hampshire Republican Party
May 2005: Discuss the possibility of a campaign with family and close friends. Dinner with the Bradley family in Wolfeboro during House recess.

June 2005, 1st-20th
June 2nd- Host dinner for members of State Senate and House leadership
June 3rd- Dinner with former Manchester Mayor and Executive Councillor Raymond Wieczorek
June 4th- Reception for the State House leadership and Committee chairs at the Portsmouth Sheraton
June 5th- Meeting with NHFBF leadership to discuss farm issues
June 11th- File in-person to run for Congress
Jabez Parsons for Congress
Announcement Speech, June 21st, 2005
At the Parsons family farm, Chester
Reporting from the New Hampshire Union Leader
State Senator Jabez Parsons today entered the race to replace retiring Congressman Jeb Bradley as the Representative for New Hampshire's 1st Congressional District, launching his campaign from the family farm in Chester on the 217th anniversary of New Hampshire's ratification of the Constitution... Parsons acknowledged that, while he knew he was likely to face a diverse field of candidates, he was confident in his ability to win over voters from across the ideological spectrum and offer the voters "a voice for sensible, conservative, and Republican policies" in the general election... Parsons, in his announcement speech, stressed his reputation as an effective legislator with considerable experience in New Hampshire politics and made frequent reference to his deep roots in his hometown of Chester. Parsons outlined his view for an "ideas-driven campaign" that would "promote real debate and find real solutions to the challenge we are facing and will face in the future"... Parsons, a Republican Party grandee in New Hampshire, is seen as a formidable potential candidate in a general election...
June 21st-30th
June 21st- Announcement Speech and barbeque at the Parsons family farm in Chester
June 22nd- Town Hall at Salem High School
Question: What makes you different from the other Republicans running?
Well, that's a good question. First I will say I wouldn't be surprised to see more Republicans enter this race, and I welcome them. Debate truly is vital to a functioning Republic, and here in New Hampshire especially we should welcome it. I'll tell you, as a Town Moderator, I've seen first hand how this state likes a good debate, and I love it! I will say, though, that I think there are a few things that make me different, not just from most of the Republicans running but really from most politicians. For starters, I'll tell it like it is. It's not my job to tell you what you want to hear, what you want me to say. Edmund Burke noted that "Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion". I happen to agree with him. If you want a poll-watching, news chasing, smooth-talking pol with his finger in the air and talking out of two sides of his mouth to two different voters, I'm not your man. But if you want someone who will work tirelessly for this district, work to represent you while also being straight with you on the issues we face, then I'm you guy, and frankly, I think that's what New Hampshire has always demanded of her Representatives.
June 23rd- Lunch with Union Leader Editorial Board
June 24th- Town Hall at Manchester Memorial High School
June 25th- Fundraiser at the family farm in Chester
June 26th- Speech to the Portsmouth Chamber of Commerce
June 27th- Town Hall in Hampton
How would you vote on the CAFTA deal recently introduced in the House?
I would vote yes on the deal, and frankly, I think it is a good deal for the United States and Central America. There is a lot of fear-mongering about free trade from across the aisle these days, but the record is clear. In the first year after NAFTA was implemented, New Hampshire added over 14,000 jobs, and that was just in the first year. Today, almost 12 years later, New Hampshire has created over 100,000 jobs. Our unemployment rate in December 1993, right before NAFTA was implemented was 5.6%, today that's down to 3.6%. So whenever anyone tells you that free trade is scary, that it is coming for your job, just ask them where on earth those 100,000 jobs came from. And as far as farmers are concerned, the deal would make American goods more competitive abroad, not less, but still gives us the power to use import quotas to support family farmers, especially in times of economic need. The benefits from this deal aren't just restricted to domestic job growth and business, though, it has all sorts of benefits. I know I'm concerned about immigration. Where do you think most of the immigrants on the southern border are coming from? An increasing number are coming from Central America, where jobs and opportunities are scarce. This deal makes those economies more competitive and gives the citizens of those nations a chance to succeed in their country, rather than have to make the dangerous trek to the United States. And deals like these are vital to building the international alliances that are really the key to an effective foreign policy in the 21st century.
June 28th- Fundraiser at the Victoria Inn in Hampton
June 29th- State Senate session in Concord
June 30th- Speech and Question and Answers with National Federation of Independent Business-New Hampshire in Manchester, discussing plans for small business at the State level and what Sen. Parsons would do to address the needs of small businesses in Congress.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 04:09:31 PM »

July Schedule
July 1st- Fundraiser and Meet and Greet at Tuckerman Brewing Company, Conway
July 2nd- Town Hall at Kennett High School
July 3rd- Fundraiser at Zorvino Vineyards, Sandown
July 4th- Perform functions as Grand Marshal of the Chester 4th of July parade
July 5th- Dinner with fellow State Senators
July 6th- Fundraiser at the Manchester SNHU Conference Center
July 7th- Flight to Washington DC to meet with Senators and Representatives to discuss local issues
July 8th- Meet with Representatives Bradley and Bass, discuss New Hampshire issues. Dinner with Senators Gregg and Sununu to discuss New Hampshire issues.
July 9th- Throw reception with other visiting state legislators for members of the House and Senate Appropriations Committees.
July 10th- Meet with Republican members of the House Agriculture Committee, lunch with other state legislators and Speaker Hastert. Dinner with Brent Scowcroft.
July 11th- Breakfast with Senator Lugar. Lunch at the American Enterprise Institue. Meet with members of the Senate Armed Services Committee.
July 12th- Return to New Hampshire, public speech to the Republican Senate caucus about the trip
Here in New Hampshire, we are lucky to have such a responsive and hard-working state government. We are a fiercely independent state, and I fully believe that we will be able to meet the challenges of the future. But it is vital that we have a partner in the federal government, that we have a Congress that is willing to work with the states, not against them. I was honored to be one of many state legislators who traveled to Washington DC to meet with federal officials to discuss the issues that we will face over the coming years...
July 13th- Interview with The Portsmouth Herald

Sen. Parsons interview with The Portsmouth Herald

Q: Sen. Parsons, what would be your top priority if you were elected to serve as Representative for the 1st Congressional district?

Parsons: Well, first and foremost, I will work tirelessly to represent the people of the 1st District. I think a Congressman should never forget who elected him, and that means you have to be an advocate for your district. I'm proud to say I am a lifelong resident of Chester, and I have represented Chester and other surrounding towns with great dedication at multiple levels of state government, and I intend to bring that same dedication to Washington DC when I am fighting for the 1st Congressional district.

Q: Why do you think you are best equipped to represent the 1st District in Congress?

Parsons: Well, I've been a State Representative, a State Senator, a town moderator, an advocate for the interests of family farmers, and I have deep roots in this district.  I don't think you'll find any candidate running, on either side, who has the record I have of representing folks and getting things done for people. I have wide experience at the local and state level, and I feel that I can use these skills to get things done for the people of the 1st District in Washington.

Q: You are just back from a trip to Washington DC with other state legislators. Do you feel Washington is doing enough to help New Hampshire?

Parsons: No, I don't, and to be honest I think if you talk to anyone in Washington they will tell you that they feel things aren't working there. I mean, talking to Senator McCain you really do get this sense of great frustration, you see that these are good, decent, people but the whole system is just a mess. We need some commonsense reforms, and I would work with people like Sen. McCain to pass the type of reforms that we need to really get Congress working for the people of New Hampshire, and everywhere else for that matter.

Q: What type of reforms?

Parsons: Well, for one thing, you can start cracking down on pork-barrel spending. If we ever want to have a hope of balancing the budget over the long run, we are going to have to change the rules so you don't have federal money going to study the feasibility of growing pineapples in Idaho. That's not helping anyone except the Congressmen who are getting these projects bankrolled to placate their donors.

Q: One last question: What's your favorite summer ice cream stop?

Parsons: Well, I'm quite a fan of ice cream so I've stopped at quite a few places, but I guess I'd have to say that the Center Scoop in my hometown of Chester is my favorite.

July 14th- Town hall at Coe-Brown Northwood Academy, Northwood
July 15th- Fundraiser at Sea Dog Brewing Co. in Exeter
July 16th- Fundraiser at Massimo's in Portsmouth
July 17th- Town hall in Bedford
Question: What is your position on taxes, broadly speaking?
As a State Representative and a State Senator, I have fought against any attempt to create new taxes in the state of New Hampshire, and have worked hard at every possible opportunity to lower those taxes that we do have. I firmly believe that we need to lower the tax burden on middle-class Americans, and a key part of that is reforming our tax code. We need to simplify it, closing loopholes and reducing rates. Washington has a spending problem, and raising taxes is just going to feed the beast even more. We need common-sense tax reform, and I will fight for just that in Congress.
July 18th- Fundraiser at the Hoodkroft Country Club, Derry
July 19th-22nd- Meetings with State legislative leaders to discuss legislation
July 23rd- Interview with the New Hampshire Business Review

Sen. Parsons interview with the New Hampshire Business Review

Q: Sen. Parsons, what experience do you have with small business ownership?

Parsons: Well, I founded my own law firm, and for years now I've run the family farm, which is an enterprise of its own. I've also consistently been an advocate for small businesses in state government, and I'm proud of the work I have done to strengthen opportunities for entrepreneurs and business owners in New Hampshire.

Q: You have said you support the President's trade deal with several Central American countries. Are you concerned about any potential negative impacts on New Hampshire?

Parsons: A decade ago we were debating NAFTA, and you had a lot of people talking about job losses and economic catastrophe across the country. A lot of people in New Hampshire were worried. Ten years later, and we see that it was a boon for New Hampshire. We've added over one hundred thousand jobs and opened our businesses up to all sorts of opportunities they wouldn't otherwise have. It's basic economics, free trade is good for everyone involved, and I firmly believe that this deal will open up new markets for American goods and will help New Hampshire businesses in our truly integrated and global 21st-century economy.

Q: What would you do in Congress to support New Hampshire businesses?

Parsons: Well, for starters, I would fight for meaningful tax reform. I think we've seen that closing loopholes and reducing rates is a recipe for growth, and I would work hard to pass a bipartisan tax reform bill that would help small and medium-sized businesses everywhere. I also think Congress needs to pass legislation that will bring our economic policies and regulations into the 21st century, where every business no matter how small is an international company in this day and age.  

July 24th- Meet with the New Hampshire Union Leader editorial board
July 25th- Fundraiser at the Manchester Country Club
July 26th-30th- Write an op-ed for the Union Leader Sunday edition

Jabez Parsons: What Washington Could Learn from Concord
Op-ed published in the New Hampshire Sunday News (Union Leader)

Frustration with Washington DC seems to be a perennial part of our politics, but today it seems that this frustration has reached a new high. It’s not just that Washington is distant, it’s always been distant. The problem today is that Washington is dysfunctional. It’s filled with people who are at the beck and call of their parties, who don’t think for themselves. Not only has this created a Washington lacking the strong, dynamic leaders that our legislative branch requires, but has created a Washington starkly divided between two parties who can’t seem to see past the letters after their names. Washington today is divided, our Congress is weaker as an institution, and our country is rightly fed up with these growing problems.
   Here in New Hampshire, things are different. Our legislature is filled with independent thinkers who stand by their principles even when their parties try to bend them (just ask the party leaders!) and who stand up for those that elected them. We work across the aisle, forming the complex, long-lasting alliances and coalitions that help to preserve what Gov. Merril called “the New Hampshire Advantage”. Republicans and Democrats alike in New Hampshire can be proud of our state legislature, the largest and most democratic in the country, where the voice of the people is truly heard. Washington should learn from New Hampshire, and understand that the key to legislating isn’t enforced groupthink, polarization, and division, but rather independent legislators, bipartisanship, and a sense of national purpose.
   There are good people in Washington, in fact most of the nation’s Senators and Representatives are well-meaning and intelligent people who truly want to make a difference. What we need are determined leaders in Washington DC who can break the gridlock, put people over party, and see past short-term political issues and talking points and really fight for those who elected them. At the end of the day, we all have the same aspirations, and we need a Congress that recognizes that. I think most Americans are fed up with partisan bickering, and this anger and frustration is made all the worse by the fact that we know it could be better, that we know how things could be different. We know that with strong, independent legislators who work across party lines you can find a meaningful compromise on the major issues of the day. We know that with thoughtful leadership you can overcome any challenge, and help build a better nation for the next generation. And here in New Hampshire especially, we know that leaders with integrity can truly work together to change policy for the betterment of all.
   Our frustration with Congress is one born from a belief that things can, and should, be different. Here in New Hampshire, we have seen that the legislative process can work for everyone and that it can tackle the challenges of today and tomorrow. In Concord, we don’t let lobbyists and special interests set the agenda. We listen to the people, we listen to the experts, and then we get to work for the good of all. Money simply doesn’t talk in Concord, the people do.
   Washington could also benefit from taking a page put of Concord’s book when it comes to spending and taxes. Washington loves to tax and spend, to throw money at pet projects all over the country to appease special interests and donors at the expense of the people. Our federal bureaucracy, though it does much good, is far too bloated, and the fat is getting in the way. Congress needs to cut down on the massive, wasteful boondoggles that politicians use to appease donors and bribe voters. Money doesn’t grow on trees, so we can’t afford to burn through it like leaves. In Concord, we keep a tight hand on the purse strings. We don’t grease the wheels with handouts to donors or pet projects. We keep spending and taxes low, creating an environment in which business can flourish. Our state government is lean and efficient, and when contrasted with the clunky, slow, and inefficient lemon at the federal level, our state government is truly a sports car.
   Concord is far from perfect, of course, and New Hampshire faces very real problems when it comes to things like school funding. But in New Hampshire, we actually try to face these problems, rather than dance around them. We let the people’s voice, not money or ambition, guide our decisions, and we act with an eye towards the future. At the end of the day Washington, the final word is politics, while in  Concord, it’s all about the people. That’s the biggest difference between the two capitals, and it is one that truly gets to the heart of many of the issues in our politics today.
   Reforming Washington won’t be easy. The division and gridlock on Capitol Hill today has deep roots, and it will take serious reforms to prune back the weeds that have ground Congress down. The special interests and donors who have for so long sought to siphon off federal money for their own causes will have to be confronted, and the politicians who are looking out for themselves (rather than the people who elected them) will have to be reminded of what their job is really about. These are difficult tasks, and with every passing day, the tangled web of problems in our federal government only becomes more tangled and convoluted, and therefore even harder to reform. But Washington can and must change, and if it could look just a little more like Concord, then the country would be much better off. It will take leadership, courage, and experience to get the job done, but I truly believe that New Hampshire can and must teach Washington a thing or two about how to govern, and I believe that our granite state is more than up to the task.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 10:45:18 PM »

August Schedule

August 1st- Town Hall meeting in Ossipee
August 2nd- Website launch with developers and designers in Manchester
Manchester is a city that speaks to the vitality and ingenuity of New Hampshirites. The story of our state is one of innovation, improvement, and development, and I am proud to see Manchester blossoming into the type of 21st century, next-generation city that our nation needs more of. I encourage you all to visit our website and to check out the sort of great work that developers and designers are doing right here in the Granite State.
August 3rd- Fundraiser in Manchester
August 4th- Calls to early supporters, thanking them for support and updating them on the race
August 5th-9th- Meetings with State Senate colleagues
August 10th- Door to door campaigning with staff in Manchester
August 11th- Town hall meeting at Lakes Region Community College in Laconia
August 12th- Town hall in Brentwood
August 13th- Fundraiser at Abenaqui Country Club in Rye
August 14th- Town hall in Rye
August 15th- Meeting with the Chamber Collaborative of Greater Portsmouth to discuss issues facing small businesses.
August 16th- Town hall in Durham
August 17th-22nd- Working with State Senate colleagues
August 23rd- Interview with the Carriage Towne News

Experts from Sen. Parsons Interview the Carriage Towne News

Q: Sen. Parsons, your recent op-ed in the Union Leader made much of your expressed desire to see greater bipartisanship in Congress. How would you, if elected, help to promote bipartisanship?

Parsons: First, you can make sure we have Representatives who aren't afraid to buck the party line. If I am your Representative in Congress, I can confidently state that what I see as right and wrong, what I consider good or bad legislation, will not be derived from marching orders handed down by the party leadership. Other people in Washington have this attitude, and I would actively seek those members out and try to work with them to promote the culture of cooperation that is central to functioning government. I would also actively seek out Democratic members to work with me on some of my top priorities. For example, I think we can all agree that the tax code could benefit from some simplifaction, and I would be proud to lead the charge in finding support among the Democrats for common sense, fair-minded tax reform.

Q: What New Hampshire specific policies would you pursue in Congress?

Parsons: Well, for starters, I will fight hard to keep Portsmouth Naval Shipyard a vital part of our nation's preparedness and naval development infrastructure. I would also try to promote trade legislation that will open up new markets for New Hampshire's many products, and legislation to help transition New Hampshire based businesses into the modern and globally integrated economy

August 24th- Meet and Greet at the Raymond VFW
August 25th- Town hall in Milton
August 26th- Meet and Greet in Dover, followed by town hall
August 27th- Meetings with General Court leadership to discuss upcoming legislation
August 28th- Fundraising barbeque at the family farm in Chester
August 29th- Town hall at the American Legion in Kensington
August 30th- Meetings with constituents in Chester
August 31st- Meetings with State Senate leadership to discuss the upcoming legislative session

Brother Jonathan

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 12:44:18 PM »

September/October Schedule

September 1st- Fundraising dinner in Manchester
September 2nd-8th- Working with State Senators to prepare for the upcoming session
September 9th- State Senate session
September 10th- Meetings with fellow State Senators
September 11th- Attend 9/11 memorial service at Chester Congregational Baptist Church
September 12th- Co-host dinner for Rockingham County first responders with a bipartisan group of State lawmakers
September 13th- Speak to the Greater Rochester Chamber of Commerce
September 14th- Town hall at Oyster River High School (Durham)
September 15th-17th- Meeting with State Senate leadership
September 18th- Meetings with New Hampshire Republican Party to discuss legislation for next session
September 19th- Fundraising dinner at the family farm in Chester
September 20th- Constituency work in Chester
September 21st- Town Hall at Manchester West High School
Q: It's become quite clear in recent weeks that the federal government's response to Hurricane Katrina, which recently devastated the gulf coast, was inadequate and poorly managed. What would you do in Congress to prevent tragedies like this from happening again?
Well, I think Michael Brown, the FEMA Director, leaving was a good start. Clearly our emergency response services at the federal level need an overhaul. To that end, I would be happy to work with members of either party and preferably both parties, to pass an act to really overhaul FEMA, increasing transparency and accountability within that organization, and making sure that our government is prepared to handle any sort of natural disaster that hits our country, whenever or wherever it hits.
September 22nd-23rd- Law work at home, and Partners Meeting in Concord
September 24th- Host annual New Hampshire District Judicial and Legal Picnic (with Jabez's famous American sing-along, which always manages to animate Judge Sherman Horton)
September 25th- Duck hunting with sons and retired Justice Horton
September 26th- Fundraiser at Garwoods Restaurant in Wolfeboro
September 27th-29th- Legal affairs (representing clients) in Boston
Septemeber 30th- Dinner with Executive Councilor Raymond Burton at the family farm

October 1st- Town hall at Auburn Village School
October 2nd- Town hall at Pinkerton Academy
October 3rd-7th- Meetings with State Senators to discuss legislation for the next session
October 8th- Meeting with Gov. Lynch as part of a delegation of State Legislature Republicans
October 9th- Deacon's Meeting at Chester Congregational Baptist Church
October 10th- Fundraiser at Exeter Inn in Exeter, New Hampshire
October 11th- Town hall at Exeter High School
October 12th- Speech to Exeter Republican Party at the Exeter Inn, celebrating the founding of the Republican Party in New Hampshire
Exerpt from the Speech Commemorating the Meeting of October 12th, 1853 at Major Blake's Hotel  in Exeter
One hundred and fifty-two years ago today, one Amos Tuck, a lawyer of Exeter and a Congressman for the 1st District of New Hampshire, called a meeting of civically-minded opponents of slavery in New Hampshire not far from here, just down Front Street a way, at what was then known as Major Blake's Hotel. From that meeting, ladies and gentlemen sprang a new party, determined to give voice to the cause of liberty for all, an end to that most pernicious practice of slavery. This party, ladies and gentlemen, is the one we today are members of, the Republican Party, born of the lofty hopes of a determined group of old Yankees to bring forth unto our nation what President Lincoln would call "a new birth of freedom", to wash away but to never forget that evil stain of slavery that for so long marred our nation...
We here, in New Hampshire, shall never forget that we are the party of Tuck and Lincoln, men who stood for freedom and liberty and fought for it no matter the cost. We gather here not only to mark the occasion of the founding of the party we are all dedicated members of, but to recommit ourselves to the values this party stands for; equality before the law, a society of opportunity and success for all those willing to work for it, a healthy culture of debate and discussion, and liberty and justice for all. Liberty and justice, let those be today our watchwords, as over one hundred and fifty years ago they were for men like Tuck and Lincoln.
October 13th- Town Hall at Kennett High School, North Conway
October 14th- Help out at the Chester library for Candy Apple Making Day
October 15th-17th- Meetings with State Legislative leaders to plan for the next session
October 18th- Fundraising dinner at the Common Man Merrimack
October 19th-23rd- Work on home and farm, preparing for winter and doing routine repairs
October 24th- Take hazardous waste to the transfer station on Hazardous Waste Day
October 25th- Town hall in Merrimack
October 26th- Door knocking with Volunteers in Seabrook
October 27th- Dinner for campaign staff and volunteers at the family farm in Chester
October 28th- Town hall in Nottingham
October 29th- Tour Parkland Medical Center with State Legislative Delegation
October 30th- Law firm work
October 31st- Hand out candy at Chester Library
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 09:45:59 PM »

November Schedule

November 1st- Town hall in Manchester
November 2nd- Door knocking with volunteers in Manchester
November 3rd- Town hall in Kensington
November 4th- Pancake breakfast fundraiser in Conway
November 5th- Town hall in Raymond
November 6th- Meet with fellow State Senators to discuss legislation
November 7th- Fundraiser in Manchester
November 9th- Law firm work
November 10th- Town hall in South Hampton
November 11th- Fundraising dinner in Exeter
November 12th- "Balancing the Budget" discussion in Newington
We cannot afford to continue to pay for today's programs with tomorrow's money. It is not only irresponsible but an abdication of our moral duty to continue to pile on debt. We really need to take a look at programs of all types, and we need to really look at our tax code. We can balance our budget and we can do it without raising taxes.
November 13th- "Free Market Environmentalism" discussion in Madbury
November 14th- "Putting Small Businesses First" discussion in Wolfeboro
November 15th- "Reforming Congress" discussion in Strafford
November 16th- State Senate session
November 17th-19th- Law firm work
November 20th- Tour of Portsmouth Naval Shipyard with State Senate delegation
November 21st-23rd- Meetings with state legislative leaders to discuss legislation
November 24th- Thanksgiving with the family in Chester
November 25th- Town hall in Danville
November 26th- Town hall in Stratham
November 27th- Door knocking in Hampton Falls with volunteers
November 28th- Door knocking in Hampton with volunteers
November 29th-30th- Meetings with legislative leaders
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 05:41:25 PM »

Jabez Parsons- Debate Answers

Opening Statement:

Thank you Russel, and thank you to our hosts, the Chamber of Commerce, and to the Strand Dover for housing us. And of course, thank you to our audience. The challenges that face our nation today are numerous. We are forced to reckon with the scourge of international terrorism, with a difficult situation in Iraq, and a world filled with new and resurgent enemies. At home, we have an economy that continues to be in need of improvement, though it is much improved over what it was six years ago. We must also address the great challenges in our Congress, which while it is supposed to work for the American people, has become ever more distant from them. I, in my career in public service, have always fought to defend the interests of the voters, and I am asking for your vote so that I may work across the aisle to make Washington work for you. Thank you.

What is your view on the American presence in Iraq?

Iraq has been a feature of American foreign policy since Saddam Hussien, in an act of unwarranted aggression, invaded Kuwait. We should, before going any farther, agree that the world today is safer, more secure, and fundamentally freer than when Saddam Hussien was able to brutalize his people, threaten his neighbors, and terrorize the world with impunity. Of course past realities notwithstanding, we must now address the widespread violence that has sprung up in Iraq. Our concern now is not with invasion, that is done, but what happens now nearly three years hence. What are our next steps? We must create a viable strategy for defeating the insurgency, and I think that only by taking concrete steps to build up Iraqi security capacity will that be possible. In order to do that, you need to keep American troops and trainers in the country, but with a lower profile, to provided needed help while the Iraqi government builds up a multi-ethnic, homegrown security force to provide for the defense of what will, with time I think, become yet another proud member of that noble band of democracies.

What is the first bill you would introduced if elected?

I hope, within my first term, to introduce a bill to truly reform the American tax code, reducing rates while closing loopholes. This is not a partisan issue. We all know that our taxes are too complicated, and the tax system is to blame for that. Reforming our tax system, and simplifying the tax code, would go a long way to creating not only a simpler tax system but a fairer one. Not only that, but tax reform will increase revenue while decreases taxes, closing loopholes that are being exploited. This type of legislation is good for all, and I think it is something that Congress should be able to get behind with the right leadership on the issue.

You have spoken a lot about reducing the deficit, specifically by eliminating earmarks. But in 2005, total Earmark spending only made up approximately 8.5% of the budget deficit. Many conservative fiscal experts and Councillor Smith have said it will take comprehensive entitlement reform to balance the budget. Do you agree?

Well, I would start by saying that earmarks and or barrel spending is just part of the equation. Waste in government is sadly all too common. We need to look at entitlements, of course, no one here disputes that and I don't think very many Democrats would even dispute that our long term fiscal health will require a look at reforming entitlements. But we need to also look at cutting down on waste in Pentagon procurement, and wasteful misallocation of funding. There is a coast guard weather station in West Virginia, which is landlocked. The cost of building it was one thing, but the absurdity of spending taxpayer dollars, year after years, on the maintenance of a Coast Gaurd weather station in a landlocked state seems to me to be a clear indictment of the current system of earmarks, and so I do believe that reforming that system would go a long way to getting our fiscal house in order.

Closing Statement

Debates like these really are at the heart of our democratic process, and I am proud to stand before you today as a candidate for Congress. It is easy, in times like these, to find faith in our political system hard. But I am always reminded of the word of Henry David Thoreau, who wrote of the character of the New England town meeting, a number of which I have had the pleasure of presiding over. He wrote, "When, in some obscure country town, the farmers come together to a special town-meeting, to express their opinion on some subject which is vexing the land, that, I think, is the true Congress, and the most respectable one that is ever assembled in the United States.". I, for one, heartily agree. I am also reminded of Daniel Webster, who wrote of our beloved granite state that "Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men". We are a great state, and even in these often difficult times that old New Hampshire spirit which has always animated me will prevail. I am running to bring that spirit to Washington, and I ask for your help. Thank you.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 05:53:12 PM »

December Schedule

December 1st- Meeting with State Senators
December 2nd-5th- Law firm work
December 6th- Town hall in Hampton Falls
December 7th- Attend Pearl Harbor remembrance service in Portsmouth
December 8th- Dinner with State legislative leaders to discuss legislation
December 9th- Town hall in Lee
December 10th- Fundraiser in Durham
December 11th- Fundraiser in Bedford
December 12th- Town hall in Manchester
December 13th-15th- Law firm work
December 16th- Town hall in Bedford, phone call with Sen. Lugar
December 17th- Town hall in Freedom
December 18th-20th- Legislative meetings and Christmas shopping
December 21st- Fundraiser in Rochester
December 22nd- Town hall in Dover
December 23rd- Meet with State Senate leadership
December 24th- Christmas Eve service with family in Chester
December 25th-26th- Christmas with family in Chester
December 27th- Law firm work
December 28th- Fundraising dinner in Manchester
December 29th- Town hall in Deerfield
December 30th- Town hall in Hooksett
December 31st- New Years Eve party of locals in Chester
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 10:15:52 PM »

Rebuttal Period
To Benjamin Smith:

Mr. Smith has clearly misunderstood my statement. I do not think we need to draw down troops, quite clearly that will do nothing but increase violence. I said we needed to keep a low profile. Any expert in counter-insurgency will tell you that a high profile US presence in a multi-ethnic nation, like Iraq, which is experiencing national and ethnic conflicts will only exacerbate the situation. We need more troops, but they need to be working clearly alongside Iraqis and with a smaller footprint in-country. If we want to secure a democratic Iraq, we need to do so alongside our brave Iraqi allies, with training as our first priority. I think this is a clear case of planning failures on the part of the administration, but I think they are learning and we can still stabilize Iraq provided we follow strategies like the one I support, which have been advocated by experts in counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency operations.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 05:06:33 PM »

January/February Schedule

January 1st- New Years Rally with Mayor Frank Gunita and Frm. Rep Bill Zelif in Manchester

Mayor Guinta: I am proud to endorse Jeb Parsons for Congress. In the State Senate, he’s been a proud defender of the New Hampshire Advantage and has worked with legislators from across the partisan divide to deliver for the people of New Hampshire. He’s a real legislative leader and independent thinker, and I know he will bring that same attitude to Washington DC.

January 2nd- Meeting with Union Leader editorial board
January 3rd-  Lunch with Sen. Gregg in Manchester
January 4th- State Senate sessions
January 5th- National Security Town Hall in Bedford
January 6th- Speech on economic policy at Manchester Chamber of Commerce

“The future of our economy is in technology, and Manchester is a real example of the sort of success that comes to areas that were once home to paper and textile mills when they create an environment conducive to business and with an eye toward the future. Mayor Guinta, who is with us today, has been a leader nationally in getting our cities to adopt smart policies that help to create dynamic and prosperous communities. We need a federal government that encourages these sorts of policies, and that makes sure the United States is going to be competitive throughout the 21st century. Critics call this a race to the bottom, but nothing could be farther from the truth. By getting rid of unneeded regulations and reducing taxes, we reward success. It’s hard to look at the medical and technological miracles coming out of cities across this country and really believe that this rising tide won’t in time lift all boats.”

January 7th- Meeting with NH Farm Bureau to discuss agricultural issues
January 8th-9th- Law firm work
January 10th- State Senate session
January 11th- Town hall in Wolfeboro
January 12th-15th- Meetings with State legislative leaders
January 16th- Tax policy town hall in Portsmouth
January 17th- Fundraiser in Manchester
January 18th- State Senate session
January 19th- Meeting with State Senators
January 20th-22nd- Meetings with State legislative leaders
January 23rd- Fundraiser in Bedford
January 24th- Town hall in North Conway
January 25th- Town hall in Seabrook
January 26th-28th- Law firm work
January 29th- Town hall in Manchester
January 30th- Dinner for State Senate leadership
January 31st- Law firm work

February 1st- Town hall in Auburn
February 2nd- State Senate session
February 3rd-7th- Meetings with Governor and state legislative leaders
February 8th- Town hall in Newfields
February 9th- Meeting with local business leaders in Ossipee
February 10th- Town hall with Rockingham Sheriff on law enforcement issues in Derry
February 11th-13th- Law firm work
February 13th-15th- Meetings with legislative leaders to prepare for the upcoming session
February 16th- State Senate Sessions
February 17th- Meeting with Union Leader reporters to discuss legislative priorities
February 18th- Town hall in Laconia
February 19th- Meet with Young Republicans group at the University of New Hampshire
February 20th- Town hall in Somersworth
February 21st-22nd- Preparing for State Senate session
February 23rd- State Senate session
February 24th- Town hall in Dover
February 25th- Lunch meeting with seacoast business leaders
February 26th- Law firm work
February 27th-28th- Meetings with state legislative leaders

Brother Jonathan

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 12:06:41 PM »

March/April Schedule

March 1st- Town hall in Deerfield
March 2nd-5th- Meetings with New Hampshire Republican leadership
March 6th-8th- Meeting with State legislative leaders
March 9th- State Senate session
March 10th- Town hall in Laconia
March 11th- Dinner with Sen. Gregg and family
March 12th- Dinner with Speaker Scamman to discuss the legislative session
March 13th- Meetings with Chester clerk/select board to prepare for town meeting
March 14th- Town meeting day in Chester, serving as moderator
March 15th- Meeting with State Senate colleagues
March 16th- State Senate session
March 17th- Participate in Manchester “St. Pats Parade”
March 18th- Lunch with Chester clerk
March 19th- Town hall on education issues in Durham
March 20th-21st- Meetings with state legislative leaders
March 22nd- State Senate session
March 23rd- Fundraiser at Manchester Radisson
March 24th- Town hall in Hampton
March 25th- Town hall in East Kingston
March 26th- Town hall in Rye
March 27th- Phone town hall with voters from across the district
March 28th- Speak briefly by phone with Gen. Scowcroft, and frm. Sec Kissinger and Eagleburger to discuss foreign policy in preparation for an upcoming speech
March 29th-30th- Law firm work and speech writing
March 31st- Speech on foreign policy in Manchester

“The United States has long practiced and must continue to practice, a pragmatic and results-oriented foreign policy. But pragmatic does not mean vapid or unscrupulous, rather it means that we must act with reason and calculation in the pursuit of our lofty goals. We all want a safer world, a more secure world, safer for democracy and liberty, and the best way to bring that world into existence is to act wisely now to preserve and defend liberty as it comes under attack.”

April 1st- April fools pranks at the state house
April 2nd- Town hall on tax policy with Mayor Guinta in Manchester
April 3rd-5th- Meeting with state legislative leaders
April 6th- State Senate session
April 7th- Travel to Boston
April 8th- Law firm work, dinner with Charles Fried in Boston
April 9th- Return to Chester, dinner with Sherm Horton
April 10th- Fundraiser with Mayor Guinta in Manchester
April 11th-12th- Meetings with state legislative leaders
April 13th- State Senate session
April 14th- Town hall in Jackson with frm. Rep. Bill Zeliff
April 15th- Fundraiser at Black Mountain Ski Area
April 16th- Fundraiser in Rye
April 17th- Meeting with Union Leader editorial board
April 18th-19th- Meetings with legislative leaders, the Governor
April 20th- State Senate session
April 21st- Republican Senate caucus press conference in Concord
April 22nd- Meeting with small business leaders in Manchester
April 23rd- Speech to New Hampshire Lodging and Restaurant Association

“Small business is the backbone of the American economy, and here in New Hampshire that means our many restaurants and independently owned and operated hotels. We have a truly vibrant culture of entrepreneurship and small business ownership in this state, and in Congress, I will fight for a tax code that encourages businesses, rather than penalizes them.”

April 24th- Fundraiser in Exeter
April 25th- Town hall in Nottingham
April 26th-27th- Law firm work
April 28th- Foreign policy town hall in Portsmouth
April 29th- File in person for Congressional primary; press conference and speech to supporters afterward
April 30th- Host gala for state Republican leaders at the Exeter Inn
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 03:49:23 PM »

May/June/July/August Schedule

May
May 1st-2nd- Meetings with State legislative leaders
May 3rd- State Senate session
May 4th- Meeting with the Governor, along with other legislators
May 5th- Town hall in Manchester with Mayor Guinta
May 6th- Town hall in Hampton
May 7th-10th- Meeting with legislative leaders
May 11th- State Senate session
May 12th-13th- Law firm work
May 14th-15th- Record audio for television ad
May 16th- Town hall in Bartlett
May 17th- Town hall in Conway
May 18th- Fundraiser in Manchester
May 19th- Town hall in Auburn
May 20th-23rd- Meetings with the Republican caucus
May 24th- State Senate session
May 25th- Meetings with Republican leadership
May 26th-27th- Law firm work
May 28th- Town hall in Portsmouth
May 29th- Attend Memorial Day service in Chester
May 30th- Law firm work
May 31st- Town hall in Rye

Jabez Parsons for Congress ad: "New Hampshire Values"

The Common, Chester, NH
Unknown authorUnknown author, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

"I was born in New Hampshire, and I've always called her home..."

Manchester New Hampshire skyline
Graham Nadig, CC BY 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

"From her vibrant cities, full of small businesses and family shops..."

Lake Winnipesaukee and the Ossipee Mountains
Don Kasak, CC BY-SA 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

"To herwelcoming wilderness, where there is always something new to explore..."

Flag of New Hampshire
from the xrmap flag collection 2.7, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

"But what really makes New Hampshire special is her people. Fiercely independent, strong-willed, and above all, hard-working lovers of liberty..."

"I'm Jabez Parsons, and I'm running to give you a voice in Washington, to fight for our values, and to show this country what some real New Hampshire leadership can do. I pledge to fight for a fair tax code, with lower rates for all, closing loopholes, reducing government waste, and protecting our nation from those who would do us harm. But most of all, I will be fighting for you. I'm Jabez Parsons, and I approve this message."

June
June 1st- Law firm work
June 2nd- Town hall in Laconia
June 3rd- Town hall in Manchester
June 4th- Town hall in Candia
June 5th- Rally in Freedom with Gene Chandler and Bill Zeliff
June 6th- Dinner with state legislative leaders
June 7th-10th- Law firm work
June 11th-15th- Summer retreat for State Republican leaders
June 16th- Fundraiser in Portsmouth
June 17th- Dinner with Steve Duprey
June 18th-19th- Meetings with state legislative leaders
June 20th- Town hall in Newfields
June 21st- Town hall in Exeter
June 22nd-23rd- Meetings with Republican leadership
June 24th- State Senate session
June 25th- Meeting with Union Leader editorial staff
June 26th- Rally with Mayor Frank Guinta in Manchester
June 27th- Meeting and Q&A session with Seacoast small business owners
June 28th-29th- Meetings with State legislative leaders
June 30th- Town hall in Londonderry

July
July 1st- Town hall in Lee
July 2nd- Town hall in Milton
July 3rd- Town hall in Plaistow
July 4th- March in Chester 4th of July Parade, help with town fireworks display
July 5th- Town hall in Ossipee
July 6th- Telephone town hall with farmers
July 7th- Telephone town hall with small business owners
July 8th- Town hall in Durham
July 9th- Barbeque for local Republicans in Chester
July 10th- Rally in Portsmouth
July 11th- Fundraiser in Manchester
July 12th-14th- Law firm work
July 15th- Meetings with Republican leadership
July 16th- Town hall in Merrimack
July 17th- Town hall in Tuftonboro
July 18th-20th- Law firm work
July 21st- Town hall in Sandwich
July 22nd- Fishing with local Republican officials
July 23rd- Town hall in Rollinsford
July 24th- Town hall in Derry
July 25th- Town hall in Meredith
July 26th- Town hall in Hooksett
July 27th- Town hall in Seabrook
July 28th- Launch “Fighting for the First District” tour in Merrimack
July 29th- Town halls in Bedford and Goffstown
July 30th- Two town halls in Manchester
July 31st- Town halls in Londonderry and Auburn

August
August 1st- Town hall and rally in Derry
August 2nd- Town halls in Hampstead and Sandown
August 3rd- Town halls in Danville and Kingston
August 4th- Town halls in Plaistow and Newton
August 5th- Visit Smith’s Corner Historic District in South Hampton, town hall in Seabrook
August 6th- Town hall in Hampton, dinner at the Orchard Grille in Hampton Falls
August 7th- Town halls in North Hampton and Rye
August 8th- Rest day in New Castle
August 9th- Breakfast at the Wentworth by the Sea, town hall in Portsmouth
August 10th- Tour the airport in Newington, discuss funding, and town hall in Greenland
August 11th- Town halls in Stratham, Exeter, and Kensington
August 12th- Town hall in East Kingston
August 13th- Town halls in Brentwood and Freemont
August 14th- Rally and relax in Chester
August 15th- Town halls in Hooksett, Candia, and Raymond
August 16th- Town halls in Deerfield, Northwood, and Nottingham
August 17th- Town halls in Epping and Newmarket, small party in Newfields
August 18th- Town halls in Lee, Durham, and Madbury
August 19th- Town halls in Dover, Rollinsford, and Somersworth
August 20th- Town halls in Rochester, Barrington, and Strafford
August 21st- Rest day
August 22nd- Town halls in Farmington, Milton, and Wakefield
August 23rd- Town halls in Brookfield, Middleton, and New Durham
August 24th- Town halls in Alton, Barnstead, and Gilmanton
August 25th- Town halls in Belmont, Laconia, and Gilford
August 26th- Town halls in Meredith, New Hampton, Center Harbor, and Moultonborough
August 27th- Town halls in Tuftonboro, Wolfeboro, Ossipee, and Effingham
August 28th- Town halls in Freedom, Eaton, Madison, and Tamworth
August 29th- Town halls in Sandwich, Albany, Conway, and Chatham
August 30th- Town halls in Jackson, Hart’s Location, Hale’s Location
August 31s- Rally to mark the end of the “Fighting for the First District” tour in Bartlett
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 04:10:55 PM »

Jabez Parsons- Debate Answers

An Opening Statement

Well thank you, and thank you to New Hampshire PBS. And I a special thank you to my alma mater the University of New Hampshire for hosting this debate. It's good to be back!

Ladies and gentlemen, Washington needs to change. We've allowed ourselves to be blinded by partisanship and stalled by gridlock. We need to remember the wisdom of our founders, remember the duty of the leader and the statesman, and we have to work together to address the grave issues this nation faces. Ladies and gentlemen, I am running for Congress to work for you, not for the special interests or even for my party. I am running to lead, not to follow, and I am running to fight for you. Let's send a message to Washington, and let's tell them it's time to get to work.

What is your view on abortion and Roe vs. Wade?

I think abortion is a difficult subject, and it is one I have had to wrestle with. But if you, like me, have ever had the privilege of hearing a fetal heartbeat, of seeing those images of a small human, so innocent and so peaceful, I think you pretty quickly start having trouble with the idea of unrestricted abortion. I will say, without hesitation, that the Court was wrong, simply wrong, in Roe. There is no Constitutional right to an abortion. And we should, as soon as possible, ban late-term abortions. Beyond that, I think it should broadly be up to the states, and I would hope we could all recognize the real gravity of the matter.

How should America get to energy independence?

Well, there are a couple of pretty common-sense solutions we can start with. For one, you can increase the research and development tax credit. That not only stimulates the energy sector, but the entire economy, and we know from experience that policies like that do indeed stimulate new energy development. We need to expand our usage of renewables, but we don't want the government picking winners and losers in the economy, but we can get rid of unnecessary regulations and help all of our businesses, and reduce costs for consumers in the process. Finally, you can expand oil exploration on federal lands, balancing that with environmental concerns, which not only helps us expand our energy potential but also generates revenue through leasing fees and taxes.

What do you think is the biggest national security threat to the United States?

I'll have to take a page from my old friend Senator Lugar's book here and say that it is nuclear proliferation, and more broadly that it is the threat that all weapons of mass destruction pose to the entire world. I have spoken and worked with some of this nation's leading foreign and security policy thinkers, and I can safely say I have more foreign policy experience than any candidate in either party in this election. Whatever threats we face, I know I will be ready to meet them. That is why not only Senator Lugar but Senator Warner, a decorated war hero and chair of the Senate Armed Services Committee, has also endorsed me.

Closing Statement

Well, I think I'll end this debate where it began, by thanking all of you for watching tonight, and our gracious host for hosting us, and our experienced moderators for managing a really smooth debate. Ladies and gentlemen, I am asking for your vote to be your voice in Washington, to fight for our New Hampshire values, and to stand up against the failed policies of the past and for the policies best suited to build our bright future. Thank you.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 07:20:51 PM »

For Congress—For You

September 1st-12th

September 1st- Door knocking in Manchester during the day with Mayor Guinta. Rally with Mayor Guinta and Bill Zeliff, focus on principles and fighting for New Hampshire

I'm running for Congress because I believe New Hampshire deserves Representatives as independent-minded as her people, because I want to bring integrity and leadership back to Washington, because I believe it is time that Congress lead again and not just flail around while good ideas and good policy are left out to dry. In Concord, I've been a principled fighter for lower taxes, more efficient government, and our New Hampshire advantage. I will bring this same spirit to Washington, where I will fight first and foremost for the people of New Hampshire's first district.

September 2nd- Door knocking in Portsmouth, a rally that night with Rockingham County Sheriff and Treasurer

You know what our motto is in New Hampshire folks, live free or die. That's the type of attitude I intend to bring to Congress. It's that firey New Hampshire spirit, the same spirit that led the brave patriots of New Hampshire to storm Fort William and Mary to seize the powder and shot that the British went to look for in Lexington and Concord. It was that fire spirit that made New Hampshire the first colony to declare its independence. That's the spirit that makes our state great, and I am determined to bring it back to Congress!

September 3rd- Door knocking in Bedford and Merrimack, a rally that night with State Sen. Carl Johnson and Mayor Guinta

We've got to get our fiscal house in order in this country, and we have to do it while making sure we don't slide backward in the fight against terrorism, or by raising taxes on hardworking Americans. We need to fight to end wasteful pork-barrel spending, end the abuse of earmarks by Congressman just looking to win another term, and we have to make sure our tax system is fair and transparent. That's what I plan on doing in Congress. I will never vote to raise taxes, and I will fight tirelessly to balance our budget.

September 4th- Door knocking in Manchester, rally with Mayor Guinta, W. Douglas Scamman, Gene Chandler, and Bill Zeliff

Senator Gregg and I talk from time to time, and he's always fond of telling me, "Jabez, God love ya, but never run for Congress." Now naturally this got me interested in the idea, being as I am stubborn as an ox, and so I asked him one day, I asked "Senator Gregg, why shouldn't I run for Congress?" "Well," he said, "first, you have a great face for radio, and that would have done just fine when Styles Bridges was running but today," he said "today they televise the whole thing." Well, naturally I decide right then and there to run.

September 5th- Door knocking in Laconia, rally with Gene Chandler and Bill Zeliff that night

We've got to make sure we never forget that there are people in this world who hate us for who we are. I don't mean people who hate us for our ethnicity, I mean people who hate us because we don't hate others for their ethnicity. I don't mean people who hate us for our respective faiths alone, I mean people who hate us because you and I can disagree about God, can disagree about his very existence, and never cast stones at one another. I don't mean people who hate us because we live in the United States, I mean people who hate us because we live in a nation dedicated to freedom, to human flourishing, to democracy. Bin Laden and his ilk hate us, and we have to do everything in our power to show them, and any who might cheer them on, that we are not afraid. We will fight for liberty, defend it at home and abroad, and that you and I, you and your neighbor, that we will all be able to live together, imperfections and differences included, while respecting our shared humanity

September 6th- Door knocking in Conway, a rally that night with Gene Chandler

We need an economic policy that will help the north country and places like Conway and Bartlett thrive in the 21st century. The economy is changing, and that means cleaner fuel, better access to information, the creation of entirely new industries, and thousands of new jobs with them. But we need to make sure that those jobs are open, that those industries set up shop here, and that the American economy remains competitive in this new era.

September 7th- Door knocking in Derry and Londonderry, a rally that night

I've been a town moderator long enough to know that in New Hampshire, we don't like taxes. I wish you could say the same thing about Washington. No sooner have we started getting tax rates down, the code simplified, and already you hear talk all over the country about raising them again. I promise to you I will fight against tax increases in Congress and will work without ceasing to simplify and streamline our tax code.

September 8th- Door knocking in Durham, Rochester, and Dover. Rally in Dover

I will level with you: if you want a party-line voter, I'm not your guy. If you want someone who will show up, clock in, and go through the Congressional revolving door, I'm not your guy. If you want someone who won't ask questions, won't raise a fuss, then I'm not your guy. And I never have been. The reason my party leadership have endorsed me is simple, and they'll tell you: I fight for my constituents, I fight for my principles, and I get the job done. I know what legislating takes, it takes leadership, it takes principle, and it means working hard for the people who elected you. So if you want another empty suit voting aye or nay at his party beck and call, never thinking for themselves at all, then I'm not your guy and I never will be. But if you want a Representative, if you want someone who will fight for you, fight to get stuff done in Washington, then I'm your guy and I want your vote.

September 9th- Door knocking in Hampton, rally that night

Hampton, I have a good feeling. I think people are ready to change Washington, to have a strong voice, and to have that New Hampshire attitude represented. This state has always been by home, my family has lived here for generations, and I am proud as can be to stand before you today as a Granite stater. Let's show Washington what the Granite state is made of!

September 10th- Door knocking in Manchester, "Last Town Hall" and rally with Senators Lugar and Warner, Mayor Guinta, and Bill Zeliff

I know they billed this as the "last" town hall, but I hope that isn't the case, because if we win this primary folks, we will hit every town in the district, again! We did it once already, and I am proud to say I will visit every town in this district again, and I will do it every year as your Representative. That's what being in Congress is about, tackling the big challenges, working for your constituents, and dealing with the biggest problems and the smallest. That's why I am running. Now, let's get to it and have some questions!

September 11th- Attend memorial service in Chester, no campaign activities

September 12th- Rally in Manchester with Senators Lugar and Warner, Mayor Guinta, Speaker Scamman, Gene Chandler, and Bill Zeliff

I am running to represent you, to fight for you, to listen and to lead. We hear a lot a talk in Washington, really we hear a lot of talk in politics in general, but I have the record to back it up. Back home in Chester, in Concord, in position at every level in this great state, I have fought and won important battles. I have helped preserve our New Hampshire advantage, I've helped keep school costs and taxes down at both the state and local level, while still working to give New Hampshire one of the best education systems in the country. Ladies and gentlemen, you may hear a lot of talk on the campaign trail, but it's time now for leadership, for principled leadership, and that's why I am running.

It's time we had members in Congress who will stand up to earmarks and wasteful pork-barrel spending, to no-bid contracts that only help special interests, to a tax code that is making our nation less competitive and our taxes too complicated. Congress needs to lead again, it needs to legislate again, and right now it is too bogged down. We don't need more empty suits, what we need now is real, principled leadership that is dedicated not to rhetoric, but results.

Senator Warner and Senator Lugar are examples of leadership in Congress, second to none. I am proud to have their support. Stand up, please!

These men aren't afraid to lead, to fight to get stuff done, to pass meaningful legislation that goes a long way to making our nation a better place to live, legislation that is helping to build our nation up and make it competitive in the 21st century. I am proud to have their support and hope to be able to work with them and many others, from both the House and the Senate, to pass meaningful legislation to help the people of New Hampshire's 1st District. 

Look, I've been around long enough to know that people are sick of talk, or to put it more truthfully they are sick of empty talk, of politicians who are all bark and no bite. Well I have been called many things by the party leaders on stage here tonight, but they will be the first to tell you I don't back down from a fight or give up on a good idea. And that's what we need in Congress. I pledge to you, as I have throughout this campaign, that I will fight for a simpler tax code, a more efficient military, and a more transparent government...

Now let's get out there and win this thing!
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 08:19:17 PM »

Schedule, September 12th to October 31st

September 12th- Primary Victory Rally- “Fighting for You”

Ladies and gentlemen, tonight we start the next leg of this campaign. I’m running to represent the people of New Hampshire’s 1st Congressional district, and I will continue to fight this campaign as I always have, and with the same spirit I will bring to Washington; that of independent determination and a firm belief that the people of this District deserve a Congressman who will work for them. Thank you all! Let’s win this thing!

September 13th- Unity Breakfast with fellow Republicans, Rally in Manchester with Mayor Guinta
September 14th- Town hall in Portsmouth with Sen. Lugar before his departure
September 15th- Fundraiser in Portsmouth, rally that night
September 16th- Town hall in Hampton
September 17th- Visit Rochester Fair, meet with volunteers staffing the booth
September 18th- Door knocking in Derry, rally that night
September 19th- Town hall in Conway
September 20th- Speech on campaign finance reform at Manchester West High School

We cannot allow for special interests to hold our government hostage, to set the agenda and call the tune. Washington needs to have independent leaders, willing to speak their minds, and we need people in Congress and at every other level of government who will fight for what they think is right no matter what the special interests say. I think McCain Feingold is a good start, but we need a comprehensive campaign finance reform bill that will, once and for all, put independent leaders in the driver’s seat once again. I will fight for just that sort of legislation in Congress.

September 21st- Barnstorming Wolfeboro, Tuftonboro, and Moultonborough
September 22nd- Door knocking in Manchester
September 23rd- Breakfast at the Red Arrow dinner, door-knocking in Manchester with Mayor Guinta
September 24th- Telephone town hall with small business leaders around the state
September 25th- Meeting with Manchester area charities to discuss federal policy
September 26th- Special State Senate session
September 27th- Rally in Exeter
September 28th- Door knocking in Exeter, Newfields, and Newmarket
September 29th- Fundraiser speech in Rye
September 30th- Attend opening of Deerfield fair

October 1st- Barnstorming Deerfield, Northwood, Nottingham, and Epping
October 2nd- Barnstorming Barrington, Madbury, and Dover
October 3rd- Barnstorming Bartlett, Chatham, Jackson, Conway, Hale’s Location, and Albany
October 4th- Telephone town hall with local farmers on agriculture issues
October 5th- Barnstorming Hampton, Rye, New Castle
October 6th- Fundraising speech in Portsmouth
October 7th-8th- Meetings with campaign staff
October 9th- Town hall in Durham for UNH students
October 10th- Interview at the New Hampshire Institute of Politics, Saint Anselm College
October 11th- Door knocking in Bedford
October 12th- Barnstorming Bedford and Merrimack
October 13th- Rally in Wolfeboro
October 14th- Roundtable with local business leaders in Manchester
October 15th- Meeting with NH YMCA leadership to discuss federal legislation and local programs
October 16th- Barnstorming Candia and Raymond
October 17th- Kick-off “Around The District” Tour with Rally in Bartlett, barnstorm Hart’s Location, Jackson, Hale’s Location, and Chatham
October 18th- Town halls in Conway and Madison, barnstorming Eaton, Albany, and Freedom
October 19th- Town halls in Tamworth and Ossipee, barnstorming Sandwich and Effingham
October 20th- Town halls in Moultonboro and Wolfeboro, barnstorming Tuftonboro, Center Harbor, and New Hampton
October 21st- Town halls in Meredith, Gilford, and Alton
October 22nd- Town hall and rally in Laconia
October 23rd- Town hall in Belmont, barnstorming Barnstead and Gilmanton
October 24th- Town hall in Wakefield, barnstorming Brookfield, Middleton, and New Durham
October 25th- Town halls in Milton, Farmington, Rochester, and Somersworth
October 26th- Town halls in Rollinsford and Dover, barnstorming Madbury, Barrington, and Strafford
October 27th- Town halls in Durham, Lee, and Epping
October 28th- Town hall in Portsmouth, barnstorming Rye, New Castle, Greenland, and Newington
October 29th- Town halls in Stratham, Newmarket, Newfields and Exeter
October 30th- Town halls in Nottingham, Northwood, Deerfield, and Raymond
October 31st- Hand out Halloween candy at Chester town library
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 08:47:13 PM »

1. An Opening Statement
Well, thank you Russel, and thank you to our hosts for having us here this evening to discuss the issues that matter to the people of the Granite State. I am running to represent the people of this district, to represent you. I am not running to be anyone's rubber stamp or a party-line voter. I am running to be your common sense, independent-minded Representative. If you elect me, I promise to fight for fairer and lower taxes, more transparency in government, and I will always fight for the people of this district. My roots in New Hampshire are deep, and I know that Granite Staters are independent-minded, hard-working people. That's what we demand of our Representatives as well, and I promise to fill that role. And I know you'll hold me to it.

2. What is the biggest national security threat to America today?
Terrorism remains perhaps the single greatest threat to this country, simply because it is a threat that does not conform to old methods of crisis management. Terrorists are not countries you can hit back at when they hit you. They are shadowy groups that take root in places where poverty and anger motivate far too many young men to find a cause and a purpose in a radical struggle against our values. We can deal with China, or with Russia, and we can deal with terrorism too, but it takes a certain type of thinking which doesn't conform to our standard foreign policy prescriptions. We are dealing with people who hate our way of life, our freedoms, and we have to be willing to stand up to that. We have made a lot of progress recently in this fight, but we can't now take our eye off the ball now.

3. How serious is the threat of a nuclear Iran?
A nuclear Iran is a very serious threat for several reasons. In the first instance, a nuclear Iran is likely to be even more aggressive than it is at the moment, secure behind its nuclear shield. Not only that, but a nuclear Iran may very well supply terrorist groups or other rogue states like Syria with the capabilities to make their own weapons, and frankly those weapons are going to be pointed at us and our allies. We have to step up our sanctions on Iran and try to get them to the negotiating table, we have to show them that the costs of getting a nuclear weapon are not going to be worth it, and that will take a real commitment on our part, but it is one we have to make in order to secure a safer future.

4. Generally speaking, is government the problem or the solution?
Well, generally speaking, the government is the problem. Ask any small businessman what the biggest problems they face today and almost always it comes back to some government policy or other. We have an overcomplicated and inefficient tax code, we have a bloated bureaucracy that over-regulates us with red tape, we have too many loopholes and exemptions that let the small sliver of people with the most wiggle their way out of taxes, shifting the burden down. These are big problems, but they have common-sense solutions. You start by simplifying the tax code, you cut rates while closing loopholes, you reduce regulations on business, and give job creators room to breathe. I think we have seen, both in this country and around the world, that this is how you get things on the right track.

5. Do you believe the American economy is sound?
Well, yes, I do think it is strong, but we do face some long-term challenges. But at the end of the day, the engines of American growth remain strong. Our small businesses and entrepreneurs remain just as innovative as ever, helping to build the economy of the future right here in New Hampshire. I was talking with some web developers in Manchester just the other day, updating my campaign website, and I mean it really is remarkable how far we have come since I was using slide rulers in high school. It won't be all sunshine and rainbows forever, but I have no doubt that the spirit of innovation and entrepreneurship the built this country are just as alive and well as they were in 1776, and I have no doubt our best days are ahead of us. It is our job, as a government, to help and not hinder this economic progress by streamlining regulations and reforming our tax code for the 21st century.

In a recent interview, you came out against the PATRIOT Act, supported by most Republicans. Care to elaborate on your position?
Certainly. I support efforts to combat terrorism, I think some provisions of the PATRIOT Act were good, but at the end of the day, I would have had to join the Republicans and Democrats who opposed the act on the grounds, which I think are right, that the Act went too far, and endangered our civil liberties. We cannot forget our values in this fight against terrorism, that is why we are in it, and while I think the PATRIOT Act had a lot of decent provisions, I simply think it went too far and I would have opposed it. With some changes, I think it would make a fine law, but I would not have supported it.

Closing Statement
Well, thank you again to our hosts here in Manchester and to all of you watching at home for joining us. I am proud that ours is a state with such a high voter turnout, I think it is a reflection of the fact that in New Hampshire we demand more of our elected officials than simply party lines and platitudes. We demand real leaders, real independent thinkers who stand up for their values and for the values of Granite Staters. I can promise you that as your Congressman, I will always put our New Hampshire values first, and I will always strive to live by those immortal words of John Stark "Live free or die, death is not the worst of evils". Thank you.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 07:41:03 AM »

Rebuttal

I'm frankly offended that Mrs. Winters would echo the talking points of radicals across the political spectrum in declaring that attacks like those on September 11th were somehow the fault of this nation, the somehow our global presence alone has brought this upon us. Yes, our influence has made us more likely to be hit in a terrorist attack, but that is because our values and the triumph of our values are a direct threat to the bigoted and violent worldview of the Islamic extremists who now threaten us. We could withdraw behind the seas and through up our walls, but still, they would hate us because here we cherish free expression, free worship, and free people. We can blame America first all we want, but I for one am proud that this nation has stood for a fairer, more just world. We have made enemies for it, yes, but I am proud to say we have time and time again stood up for freedom and democracy, using the flame of liberty to illuminate some of the darkest and most hopeless places in the world.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 03:19:09 PM »

Schedule, November 1st to 7th

November 1st- Town halls in North Hampton, Hampton Falls, and Seabrook. Rally with former President George H. W. Bush

We cannot afford to let our guard down now. We face today a threat from terrorism that, however much we wish we could simply will it away, must be confronted and fought wherever it rears its ugly head. I will never apologize for this nation, and I will never allow the values of our nation to be compromised by terrorists who hate our freedom and the very fabric of our free society. We can be sure of our moral purpose in this cause, and we must act with even-handed resolve to defend our nation and our shared values.

November 2nd- Town halls in Kensington, East Kingston, South Hampton, Newton, and Brentwood. Rally in Kingston with Rudy Giuliani

As Mayor Giuliani well knows, the will of our enemies to strike us at home has always been strong. We are a beacon to the rest of the world, a shining city on the hill. We must never dim our light, must never back down from a challenge. We must remember the words of President Kennedy, and let the word go forth that we will bear any burden, support any friend, and oppose any foe to ensure the survival and the success of liberty. Our national interest are the interests of free people everywhere, and we must never flag in our sense of moral purpose.

November 3rd- Town halls in Plaistow, Hampstead, Danville, Freemont, and Sandown. Town hall and rally in Chester with Senator John McCain

We need more leaders like Senator McCain in Congress, more Representatives who are willing to stand up for their values and the values of those they represent no matter what party they come from. I will not be a party-line vote. I share, as Senator McCain does, the values and convictions of the Republican party in most respects, but I will never surrender my judgment or our values for any reason.

November 4th- Town halls in Candia, Auburn, and Hooksett. Rally in Derry with Mitt Romney.

America is a nation of entrepreneurs, strivers, and hard workers, and it must be the role of the government to support the creation of jobs and the development of new technology by trimming regulations and getting out of the way of our cutting edge businesses. We cannot tax and regulate our businesses into oblivion.

November 5th- Town halls in Goffstown and Bedford, rally in Merrimack with state Republican leaders

As your representative in Congress, I will be a tireless fighter for our New Hampshire values, a fighter for the interests of New Hampshire, and a Congressman for all the people of this great district. I will never shy away in the face of adversity, I will always stand up for the 1st District, and I will be your independent voice in Congress.

November 6th- Rally in Londonderry with Senator John McCain and frm. Rep Bill Zeliff

Daniel Webster was quoted as saying something along these lines; 'Everywhere you go, men hang signs to show you the products of their labor. A cobbler hangs a sign with a show, a cooper a barrel, a tanner place hides in front of his shop. In New Hampshire, it seems, God has hung out a sign to say that he makes men." This state has a character like no other, a fierce independence that it demands of all of its leaders, a love of liberty as can be found nowhere else in the same quantity or quality. If I have learned anything in my time serving the great people of the Granite state it is this; we don't simply elect representatives, we elect leaders. We don't simply demand commitment, we require a sense of duty. Ladies and gentlemen I ask for your vote so that I can represent this great district in Congress with that same sense of spirit and determination that this state has instilled in generations of Parsons.

November 7th- "Fighting for You" final rally in Manchester with Mayor Guinta, frm. Rep Zeliff, Gene Chandler, and family

Over the course of this campaign, I have visited every town in New Hampshire's lovely first district not once but twice. From the great northern wilderness of Bartlett and Jackson, to the lovely lakes region, our beautiful seacoast, and neighborhoods throughout Rockingham and Hillsborough county. I have spoken to thousands of voters, answered just as many questions, and I promise to you today that I will bring this same commitment to Washington DC. I am running to represent you, and I will never forget where my roots are—right here in this New Hampshire soil that my family has farmed for generations.

Since the start of this campaign, I have held over 200 town halls across the district, and everywhere I went this spirit pervaded. I am running because I believe I best embody that spirit, that independent streak, that firey determination to live free or die, for death is not the worst of evils. As your Congressman, I will fight tirelessly for the reforms we need to create a more competitive tax system, a strong and growing economy, and work hard to keep our country safe from those who threaten us. In years of public service, I have worked tirelessly to promote the interests of New Hampshire however I could, and as your Congressman, I will redouble those efforts, and remind Washington that New Hampshire is not to be trifled with, that our state, our granite state, demands more.

I ask for your vote so that I can continue to represent the values of our district, to be your voice in a Washington so often drowning in idle chatter. Let's cut through the gridlock and get things done for New Hampshire. Thank you!

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies