East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:59:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 11778 times)
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -1.57

P P P

« on: December 30, 2020, 11:11:05 AM »
« edited: December 30, 2020, 06:54:58 PM by SouthCarolinaAaron »

Brian Wilson Schedule - June 2005
Logo made myself

June 1: Formally file exploratory committee
June 4: Meet with senior citizens in Derry
June 5: Radio interview with WQSO in Rochester
June 7: Meet with Governor Lynch to begin pursuing his endorsement
June 10: Meet with the Small Business Owners Association
June 13: Barnstorm in Laconia
June 17: Hold town hall at the University of New Hampshire - Manchester
June 19: File papers to officially run for Congress
June 20: Formally announce candidacy in an interview with WMUR*
June 27: Open volunteers office in Rochester

Announcement Interview with WMUR

James: Good morning and welcome back to the 9:00 news, here on WMUR. I'm Tom James. With me now is State Senator Brian Wilson, who I'm told has a big announcement that he'd like to share this morning. Senator Wilson, what're you here to announce?

Wilson: Well thank you for having me this morning, Tom. I'm here today to announce that I will be running for Congress in 2006. Throughout my time as a small business owner, in a military family, and as a State Senator, I've been able to see firsthand the struggles regular people face every day, and I want to be their fighter in Congress.

James: Well you've got quite the race ahead with an expected crowded field on the Democratic side. Let's dive right into the issues of the day. President Bush is expected to give an address on the Iraq War in the coming days. What's your take on the war with the information currently present?

Wilson: My brother was deployed to Iraq when the war first started. He would often write heartfelt letters to us back here in New Hampshire. One of the last letters he wrote to us before he passed away told us that he "saw no end in sight." The last few weeks, I've been talking to people from Laconia to Derry, and one thing is for sure, the people are tired of this endless war. Too many young men and women have died, and for what? We've got nothing to show for it. If I'm elected, I'm gonna make sure that we start waning down troop levels to the lowest possible so that we can finally end this endless war.

James: Quite a plan, Senator. Let's talk about the Bush tax cuts. What're your thoughts and would you have voted for the legislation?

Wilson: Just to start, I want to make it abundantly clear that I do support tax cuts for the middle and lower classes. The problem with the Bush tax cuts is that's not what they do. The name "tax cuts" automatically sounds like a good thing, but what it's doing is giving President Bush's donors a break. The other side says this is stimulating the economy so more jobs are being made. More jobs are being made, but jobs for big businesses. Small business are struggling under this administration, and when I'm in Congress, I'll be their fighter.

James: Finally, let's talk about the continuing debate on gay marriage. What's your opinion of DOMA and do you support gay marriage?

Wilson: I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman. However, gay people are people too and they deserve the same type of benefits a straight couple gets. I'm strongly in favor of civil unions, but I'm against calling it "marriage." I have a younger sister who happens to be gay and she's just as talented, just as bright, and just like any other young woman in the United States. She shouldn't have to be treated differently just because of her sexuality.

James: Thank you so much, Senator Wilson. Good luck on the campaign trail. Coming up, new bear cubs are coming out on display at the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center in Holderness, where you can get your tickets and more after this commercial break. Stay with us.
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 10:37:24 AM »
« Edited: January 06, 2021, 12:25:19 PM by SouthCarolinaAaron »

July-September Schedule

As State Senator Brian Wilson's campaign went off in full swing after launching his campaign in June, he was prepared to start going on a fundraising blitz. Throughout the month of July, Wilson spent most of his time going on local radio stations and TV shows during the day, and at night going to fundraisers to garner support for his campaign for Congress.

In August, Brian and his family went on a brief hunting/fishing trip during the first week of that month. After the break, Brian went back on the trail to start mostly getting his name out. Knocking on doors, speaking at churches and community centers, calling voters at his headquarters in Manchester, and talking anywhere anyone would listen.

As the race starts to heat up, with more and more candidates plunging into the race, Brian starts honing his craft. Targeting suburbanites and small business owners. At an event in Laconia, Brian gave a powerful speech about hearing the news of the passing of his brother, who fought in the Iraq War.

It was just a little over a year ago, around Christmas time. And my kids, my brothers and sisters, my parents, everybody was back home in Manchester. All together, for the first time in years. But there was one notable exception, my brother, George. We were all sitting around the fire, eating Christmas cookies and watching movies when we got a knock on our door. My Mom and Dad went to go answer it and there was a decorated gentleman in uniform with a folded flag in his hand. Immediately, we knew...we knew what that meant. He said to my parents, "Mr. and Mrs. Wilson, I'm sorry to let you know that your son, George, was shot and killed in Baghdad." There's nothing you can say in that moment. Total and utter shock filled the room. George's wife and his two-year-old son were sitting right next to me and my wife. Immeasurable sorrow and sadness, is the only way I can describe that feeling we all felt. Soon, as time went on, and we began to mourn, sadness turned to anger and disappointment. How could our leaders let a war that has killed thousands of innocent civilian and military live? After George died, I made it my mission to do everything in my power to stop the war. We protested, we knocked on doors, we told the truth. God has led me and my family to leadership roles to spread this message. And I hope to get your vote so that we can make sure that our men and women in uniform did not die in vein.

After Brian's speech went "viral", if that's what you could even call it in 2005, Brian started to see more name recognition in the district, allowing him to focus more on his policies and plans as he went into September. Flyers were posted all over the district in urban, rural, and suburban areas, flaunting his tax policy (lowering taxes for small businesses and the middle class), his policy and story on Iraq, and his education policy (improved curriculum and increased funding for K12 schools and after-school programs).
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 12:27:35 PM »

October Schedule - Wilson for New Hampshire
Logo made myself, background image from Wikimedia Commons

October 1: Town hall at Manchester Memorial High School
October 3: Attend dinner with State Senate Democratic leadership
October 6: Host a local fundraising dinner with small business leaders at Wilson's home in NH
October 9-12: Help deliver yard signs, make phone calls, knock on doors
October 15: Meet with retirees at St. Francis Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
October 20: Tour a local hospital, speak with nurses and doctors along with patients to talk about the need to properly fund and expand medicare
October 22: Participate in a drive-thru food drive in Manchester
October 25: Rally voters outside at a public park in Laconia, focusing on Washington dysfunction highlighting "Washington should work more like New Hampshire, not the other way around!"
October 27: Meet patients at a VA hospital, speak about the impact of the Iraq War, highlighting his experience as a part of a military family and the need to end the Iraq War ASAP
October 31: Trick-or-treat with wife and family around neighborhood in Manchester

VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 06:50:16 PM »

Brian Wilson Debate Answers

An Opening Statement
Good evening everyone. I want to start by thanking WENH, PBS, and the New Hampshire Union Leader for hosting us tonight, and I wanna thank my fellow candidates for being here tonight. Every 2 years, leaders in Washington and the media tell you that this is the most important election of your lifetime. But, this year is different. This election is the most important midterm for New Hampshire in a lifetime. We face crisis in Iraq, a President who doesn't truly represent New Hampshire values. Leaders in Washington have, for too long, looked at everything they do with the mindset of "we win, you lose". When I'm elected to Congress, we're gonna shake things up. I will not be the puppet of Democratic leadership. I am running to be YOUR Representative, New Hampshire. I am NOT running to represent more of the same in Washington. I think it's about time we have someone that puts New Hampshire first. Thank you.

How would you reform the American healthcare system?
I know what it's like to not have been able to make enough money one month. I've had to have the difficult conversation thousands of New Hampshires have every month. They have to make the decision on whether they should start splitting their pills, whether they should skip a needed doctor's appointment, making difficult decisions about their own healthcare simply because they can not afford it. That is not a decision Americans should have to make. Health care is not for the privileged few, it's imperative that we put a plan in place to cover the estimated over 47 million Americans that are uninsured. I would prefer to see a partnership between the private sector and the federal government. A plan that prioritizes simplicity, cost, and consumer choice. If you have insurance through your employer and you like your plan, you've got every right to keep that plan. I'd like to see businesses be required to offer insurance to employees or contribute to a government fund that would help people that are, in fact, uninsured. The only way we can do that is through a tax subsidy for small businesses to help them afford the cost of coverage for employees. Thank you for the question.

What is the biggest issue facing Granite staters today?
I believe that the biggest issue facing Granite staters today is healthcare, which was mentioned earlier, taxes, and the Iraq War. Every election cycle politicians talk about taxes. One side accuses the other of wanting to raise taxes on the rich or the poor. There are simply too many loopholes for big business and wealthy individuals. As a small businessman myself, there is simply no loophole or option for owners like myself. My priority is to close the loopholes and hold the wealthy accountable. You have to pay your fair share. We also have to lower taxes for our lower and middle class citizens. They are the backbone of our economy. They are the backbone of New Hampshire. They ought to be rewarded for their hard work, not punished. Now, moving on to Iraq. Iraq affects all Americans. My brother went to serve his nation and he wasn't able to come home. I was there with my family when the military officials knocked on our door to give us the terrible news. It's a gut-punch. Too many Granite Staters have had that message brought to them that a loved one isn't coming home. We demand answers from our leaders. In Congress, I will fight to bring justice to the lives lost in Iraq and hold President Bush accountable.

Why does New Hampshire need a small businessman in Congress?
New Hampshire needs a small businessman because I will be their champion. When the founding fathers wrote Article II, creating the United States Congress, it was not meant for incredibly wealthy people, corrupted by special interests to go to Congress for their own special interest. It was created so that people, regular people, could go to Congress and represent their fellow Americans, their brothers and sisters, their neighbors. I've had to go through the tax code, I want to make it fair. Like I said earlier, my brother gave his life to this country, I will be a champion for Granite State vets. I will be a fighter for Granite Staters in Congress, someone the Granite State needs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wilson Campaign Summary - October-January

As the campaign begins to turn into full swing, Wilson will begin advertising his connections to popular Governor Lynch, his accomplishments in the State Senate, and his experience as a small businessman.

Frequent stops will include other small businesses, retirement homes, and city hotspots. Mr. Wilson will mainly be courting college students and retirees. By attending town halls at major colleges and universities in the district, Wilson will begin to establish a connection to young New Hampsherites.

Wilson plans to take a one week break from the campaign between Christmas and New Years, celebrating the holidays with his family and mourning the anniversary of the death of his late brother.

Wilson also plans on more passionately courting the endorsement of Governor Lynch, who may just be Wilson's key to winning the primary.
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 01:33:52 PM »

WILSON TO SUSPEND CAMPAIGN, ENDORSES ANNIKA

State Senator Brian Wilson has announced he will suspend his campaign for Congress, following disappointing poll numbers. Wilson said in a statement issued a few moments ago:

Over the past few months, I've had the great pleasure to meet with and speak with the voters of New Hampshire. We talked about the need for low taxes, an end to the Iraq War, and holding George W. Bush and his cronies accountable. Unfortunately, I do not see a path forward to the nomination. We need to have a united party as we enter the general election and that's why I'll be endorsing Jennifer Annika.

Wilson, who's been spending the past several months on the campaign trail, and courting Governor John Lynch for his endorsement, focused on his small business credentials. However, in fundraising and in the polls, he didn't make the splash he thought he would.

Wilson also said he'll be running for another term in the State Senate, where he will face off against Republican candidate Norm Hull.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies