East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:23:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 11777 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« on: December 30, 2020, 10:01:40 AM »

[1]
East of the Merrimack
A 2006 Congressional District Game

Now, let us begin! This is where gameplay will occur. Where candidates from each party travel New Hampshire to win votes for Congress. Where the national debate unfolds, and where the excitement and joy will occur. There will be a news and additional information update that starts each new turn. Please keep questions and discussion to the other thread. Enjoy!

[1] Wikimedia Commons
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 10:02:05 AM »
« Edited: December 30, 2020, 03:16:53 PM by KaiserDave »

Turn I: June 1st-October 1st 2005

[1]

Tom Griffith: Hello, good morning, and welcome back to WMUR New Hampshire broadcasting from Manchester. It's a fine 58 degrees and sunny in Manchester today, with light winds no more than 5 miles an hour.

Jennifer Vaughn: Definitely a good day to bring the news, and a good day to enjoy the outdoors. If with a light vest. This morning we're bringing to you the latest in eastern New Hampshire politics. In New Hampshire's first congressional district, where the seat will be open in the 2006 Midterms, a poll has been conducted on the mood of the voters.

Tom Griffith: Now New Hampshire's second district is made up of all of Stafford and Carroll County, most of Belknap and Rockingham county, and parts of Hillsborough county. President Bush won the district by 3% last November. And it's been represented by Republicans since 1985, including by Senator Sununu. However the poll has some surprising results.

Generic Democrat: 43%
Generic Republican: 42%
Undecided: 15%

Tom Griffith: Lots of undecided voters, and a razor thin race. We could see a very competitive congressional race here in east New Hampshire.

Jennifer Vaughn: Of course the election remains well over a year away, but the campaign may soon be well underway. There have been musings of a run from Belknap County Treasurer Kyle Millenberg on the Democratic side, and it seems like Chester Attorney Jabez Parsons may run.

Tom Griffith: Well, it certainly won't be long before campaign season is underway in New Hampshire once again. And this one seems like a real nail biter.

News over the Duration of the Turn

• Congress Narrowly ratifies CAFTA, New Hampshire's entire congressional delegation votes in favor
  • President Bush nominates John Roberts to replace Sandra Day O'Connor
  • Hurricane Katrina strikes New Orleans and Gulf Coast, causing mass displacement and 108 Billion in Damages, long recovery begins

Welcome to the First Turn of East of the Merrimack. This turn starts one June First and stops on October First. It will last in RL time for a week and a half or perhaps a bit more to give people time. For this time you are free to post schedules for that period. You don't need to necessarily start with an announcement, you can show public interest, exploratory committees, media clippings and snippets on your early activities, all escalating to your entry to the campaign. Your schedules can include events before June 1st if you want. Advertising will be limited to only the wealthiest of self funders for this term, and even that is limited. You are free to post your own interviews like this one Wink, but I will operate a first come first serve basis for interviews from me which will appear in local media and could greater effect your candidates visibility. The News is meant to act as things to react to and keep the game dynamic and interesting and remind you of pressing issues of the day. There won't be a debate this turn, this is your chance to begin to roll out your messages and begin to craft your image as a candidate. Remember, first impressions often stick! And one more thing, remember to use the pre 2010 map of the district for your campaigning. Not the modern one. Have fun!

[1] Wikimedia Commons, media logo used under Fair Use
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 10:37:15 PM »

Midturn Update: June 1st-October 1st 2005

[1]

Tom Griffith: Hello, good morning, and welcome back to WMUR New Hampshire broadcasting from Manchester. It's a fine 74 degrees and sunny in Manchester today, not a cloud in the sky.

Jennifer Vaughn: It's a fine August Day in the Granite State, it's certainly been a fine summer. With several more warm and sunny days to go. What else is going on in east New Hampshire lately Tom?

Tom Griffith: Well the race for Congress has certainly heated up early. Several candidates have hit the trail early, gathering support, getting acquainted with voters, courting endorsements. Once again our state is at the center of the national debate. Democrats like David O'Connor and Jennifer Annika are making waves, and Belknap County Treasurer Kyle Millenberg has already stirred up some controversy with his attacks on what he calls an out of touch national party. Several Republican candidates are on the move, Manchester's own Tyler Medford is one, and Chester Attorney Jabez Parsons has emerged as a potential Republican stand bearer. But it was businessman Buck Wilton who sparked the most controversy with a comment that we needed to "teach the Arabs a lesson" after 9/11. The Islamic Society of Manchester co-signed a letter with various Lebanese, Iraqi, and Arab Catholic Churches calling the comment "a gross generalization and unfairly bigoted comment." 

Jennifer Vaughn: So far it doesn't seem like there's much outrage from other constituencies. But today we have anti government populist Francis McGuinty, who has spent a lot of time telling folks the old Reagan adage that government is the problem, not the solution. Today we have him here.

Francis McGuinty: Thank you for having me on Jennifer.

Tom Griffith: So Mr. McGuinty, ultimately for me the big question is always, why are you running for Congress? Why you? Why Francis?

Francis McGuinty: I am running because I am very passionate about the issues of the day, I have been trying to make a difference with activism for many years now and I believe that Congress is the best place from where to bring change for District 1. It is, in my opinion, the root of all evil, with irresponsible politicians and the establishment handing out the fiscal health of the nation in exchange for advantages with donors or a few hundreds of votes at the next election. I want to earn the honor of representing these great people in Washington and in their name I will shake the system up and bring their voices to the table. I will fight for every penny from their taxes to be spent responsibly and for every bill proposed to the floor of Congress to have a positive impact on this district.

Jennifer Vaughn: You've talked a lot Francis, if I may, about how government is inefficient, and about how it spends and taxes too much. What is then, the proper size and scope of the federal government?

Francis McGuinty: The proper size and scope of the federal government is big enough to be able to help and small enough to not block growth or become unsustainable. The latter has become the reality, unfortunately. It is unsustainable to have a deficit of hundreds of billions of dollars year after year after year. Eventually we will not be able to pay for it anymore and the next generations will suffer trying to piece together the resources to survive the massive amount of debt. Let me make something clear, I do not want to take away vital functions of the government of which lives of people are at stake. I want to cut needless pork and redundant agencies that do absolutely nothing and only serve to block the development of the economy and the private sector. We need a smaller, more effective government and that is what I will try to accomplish in Congress.

Tom Griffith: You've called for balancing the budget, like you have right now, you've been very consistent on calling for reducing spending. Now, we currently have a deficit of about 350 billion dollars. How do we balance that, how do we get back to a surplus?

Francis McGuinty: This is such a great question. Not by raising taxes of course, as you obviously know I am a proud signer of the Taxpayer Protection Pledge, which means that I am committed not to have the citizens of this district pay anymore in taxes. I will do it by forcing the government to tighten its belt instead. I will first of all fight to ban earmarks and pork-barreling, the worst budgetary practices of Congress which cause at least in part those horrendous deficits of the government. Then, I want to cut wasteful and redundant spending, which is something all politicians say, I know, but I am not a politician. I am a small business owner who unlike the people in charge, know how to balance the books in order to get a surplus. There are countless of programs worth hundreds of billions that are fraudulent, useless or blatant overreaches. For example, we would save millions by cutting the B.J. Stupak Olympic Scholarship Program, which is a narcissistic program of a Michigan congressman that only ends up benefitting a Michigan university.

Tom Griffith: Certainly a strong commitment to fiscal issues, to reducing taxes, reducing spending. Taking the government out of the affairs of business. But many Americans, including here in New Hampshire are talking about more than dollars and cents. They're talking about very contentious issues, cultural issues. Where do you stand on abortion?

Francis McGuinty: Abortion is a very disturbing and dividing issue. As a proud Christian, I can only disapprove of the practice as a private person, but I wish not to do any harm and further galvanize segments of the society against each other. As a Congressman I will focus on our common goals and desires and seek to unite the people of New Hampshire to the best of my abilities. In the House, I will fight to protect the Hyde Amendment and the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act and I support parental consent for minors wishing to go through this procedure.

Jennifer Vaughn: Thank you for coming on Francis. See you again on the trail.

Francis McGuinty: See you then!

Tom Griffith: Well we'll certainly be seeing him again. Now, we've got more than that today, onto the latest in sports, where the Red Sox, in search of a division win, fall to the Devil Rays. More after the break.

A Simple Mid Turn update. Keep on going, turn doesn't end until this weekend.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 05:45:04 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2021, 07:07:03 PM by KaiserDave »

Turn II: October 1st 2005-January 1st 2006

[1]

Tom Griffith: Hello, good morning, and welcome back to WMUR New Hampshire broadcasting from Manchester. It's a surprisingly warm October day, a bit of wind, but with no rain expected. In the news today, we have more reports from the disaster site in Louisiana, commentary on Governor Lynch's budget conference, talk on what we can expect from the ski season, and the Red Sox crush the Yankees 10-1, tying for the AL East, and sending both teams to the playoffs. And a courageous story on congressional candidate and National Guardsman Michael Ashdown being deployed to New Orleans. But for now the latest in the race for Congress in east New Hampshire.

Jennifer Vaughn: Definitely a lot of news, with a very competitive race expected. First we have a new candidate entering the field, Republican David McLeod of Portsmouth. We're going to have another one of those Republican candidates with us in a moment. That would be Councilor Ben Smith. We've also got a poll, and some early endorsements isn't that right Tom?

Tom Griffith: Yes, we've gotten a poll. The University of New Hampshire partnered with Braun Research to bring us this poll of both primaries, with a field of registered voters reached by telephone and mailer. Let's pull up the graphic.

Republican Primary Poll
Sample Size: 546
MoE: +/- 4.2%
Undecided/Unfamiliar/Other-47%
Jabez Parsons-13%
Francis McGuinty-9%
Buck Wilton-8%
Benjamin Smith-8%
Tyler Medford-6%
David McLeod-4%
Anna Hammond-3%
Ethel Beavers-2%

Democratic Primary Poll
Sample Size: 502
MoE: +/- 4.7%
Undecided/Unfamiliar/Other-44%
David O’Connor-15%
Kyle Millenberg-10%
Lauren Winters-8%
Bill Fiske-7%
Jennifer Annika-6%
Brian Wilson-5%
Michael Ashdown-5%

Tom Griffith: Lots of undecided voters, many voters who aren't at all familiar with the race occurring at all! But certainly a wide open race. We're perhaps looking at Jabez Parsons and David O'Connor as early leaders, but it's really anyone's game.

Jennifer Vaughn: With the primary just below a year away, anything can happen Tom. If sure New Hampshire election watchers will be in for quite the treat.

Tom Griffith: Well, the campaign is certainly heating up. People are picking sides, making their positions known. The Log Cabin Republicans of New Hampshire, a group of gay Republicans, released a statement, here is a portion.

We're proud to support Senator Tyler Medford for the open seat in the U.S. Congress. Not only is he fighting for an open, inclusive Grand Old Party, but he'll stand up for low taxes, limited government, and a balanced budget. We're encouraging all of our proud donors and supporters to back his bid for Congress.

Senator Medford made some headlines with his loud and proud support for civil partnerships for same-sex couples, a position not shared by many statewide Republicans.

Jennifer Vaughn: The Log Cabin Republicans weren't the only interest group to make an endorsement. The New Hampshire Liberty Alliance, an anti tax, anti government, group concerned with personal liberty issued a statement supporting small government activist Francis McGuinty. Out of Washington, Virginia Senator John Warner was asked by a New Hampshire reporter after a meeting with Jabez Parsons if he had any comment on the primary. Senator Warner said, "Mr. Parsons is eminently qualified, and I hope he wins."

Tom Griffith: On the Democratic side we've had a bit more action. Emily's List made a splash with a statement declaring Jennifer Annika, a Doctor from Dover with a history of political activity "the best candidate for Congress in New Hampshire's First District." Perhaps causing a bit of tension with Lauren Winters, the other female Democrat in the race. IBEW Local 104, a union of electrical workers, endorsed Massachusetts transplant David O'Connor, after meeting with representatives from his campaign including Bill Shaheen.

Jennifer Vaughn: This race is really heating up. Why are so many groups and individuals remaining on the sidelines?

Tom Griffith: Well people don't quite know the candidates yet, not everyone has been put in the hot seat. Things are just getting started and people haven't spoken on every issue. Heck we haven't even had a debate, though there will be one for each party before the year is up. Now, as our time wraps up, we're finding some time for Executive Councilor Benjamin Smith. Hello Ben.

Benjamin Smith: Hello Tom! Happy to be on the program.

Tom Griffith: So, I'm asking everyone, first, the big question. Why you, why are you running for Congress?

Benjamin Smith: I am running to provide a reasonable, conservative voice to the people of New Hampshire. I believe first and foremost in small government, I believe in low taxes and I believe in job creation. I want to go to Washington and lower your taxes and create new jobs here in New Hampshire.

Tom Griffith: There's definitely appetite for a small government conservative, pro jobs conservative in the state party. I see you're bringing up taxes and spending, it begs the question, how do we get back to a balanced budget?

Benjamin Smith: I believe we need to consider some cuts to entitlements. Democratic administrations have refused to address the issues that Social Security and Medicare are becoming financially insolvent. I believe we need to privatize these programs at least partially to free up some funding for the federal government, and I commended President Bush's efforts on this front.

Tom Griffith: That's definitely a question lots of people shy away from, I'm happy you're giving us a candid answer. Here's another big issue, where people want a straight answer. Iraq. What is the future of American forces in Iraq?

Benjamin Smith: I think we need to take a long hard look at Iraq. I believe we need to everything in our power to ensure that the democracy that we have set up survives. I absolutely believe that we can pull some troops out of Iraq, but we must keep a significant amount to ensure that Iraq does in fact transition to democracy.

Tom Griffith: Alright then, I'll ask you this, what issue do you believe is most important in the U.S. right now?

Benjamin Smith: I believe that the most important issue is taxation. My utmost belief is that you should keep more of your money and businesses should keep more of theirs, so that they are encouraged to give more of it to you. I believe that if your employer pays less, they will be incentivized to give you more, and I also believe that many of you are being hard-pressed to make ends meet and you need a break, and I want to give you that break.

Tom Griffith: Well that's all the time we have, thank you Councilor Smith.

Benjamin Smith: My pleasure Tom.

Jennifer Vaughn: Alright, thank you Tom, and now we'll head to a break. When we get back we have many more stories for you. See you then!

• After John Roberts is confirmed as Chief Justice. President Bush nominates Harriet Miers for the Supreme Court for Judge O'Connor's seat, she goes on to withdraw her name from consideration after backlash. Judge Samuel Alito is nominated for the seat
  • U.S. Forces Deaths in Iraq reach 2,000. Secretary Rumsfeld announces troop drawdowns after Iraqi elections
  • Vice Presidential adviser Scooter Libby resigns after indictment for obstruction of justice and perjury

Welcome to the Second Turn of East of the Merrimack. This turn starts on October 1st and stops on January First. It will last in RL time for two weeks or perhaps longer if the debate makes requires more time (as it probably will). For this time you are free to post schedules for that period. There will be a debate this turn. I will post the rules and how we will organize it soon. I will still accept turn one schedules. Turn one was great, keep up the good work! And remember to use the pre 2010 map of the district for your campaigning. Not the modern one. Have fun!

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 05:45:28 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2021, 10:06:46 PM by KaiserDave »

Endorsements List

Republicans
Francis McGuinty:
The New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
Jabez Parsons:
U.S. Senator from Virginia John Warner
Tyler Medford:
The Log Cabin Republicans of New Hampshire
U.S. Senator from Vermont Jim Jeffords

Democrats
David O'Connor:
IBEW Local 104
Jennifer Annika:
Emily's List

If there is anything you believe to be missing, or things I should include that you should have to start, just tell me.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 11:21:35 PM »

Debate Rules and Regulations

Welcome to the first debate of East of the Merrimack. Debates in this game will be important in delineating differences between candidates, and forcing you to take tough positions. It will give you a chance to attack your opponents, and show why you're the best candidate. This opens up potential endorsements and other sources of support. Debates will be judged on the cohesiveness of your answers (not, cohesiveness is not grammar, people don't always speak in good grammar), and rhetorical skill. There will also be a randomized element for scoring. There will be an opening statement, two general questions, and a personalized question. You are also invited to post another written statement, rebutting the views of others or attacking other candidates. If you are posting your debate responses before everyone else and you want to wait to see what others do, you can post a response to what others have posted after you. But do not edit it after you post it (I will notice). Naturally there will also be a closing statement. Answers should be of reasonable lengths. Not four sentences, and also not two paragraphs. Responses are due on the 29th. I look forward to the joy this will bring!

Chamber of Commerce Republican Debate

Russel Morgan: Welcome to the Chamber of Commerce Republican Debate here at the Strand Dover. I'm Russel Morgan of the New Hampshire PBS, I'm joined by Mr. Hank Jackson of the Chamber, and Anne Baxter of the Foster's Daily Democrat. Today we're moderating the first Republican debate for Congress in New Hampshire's First District. Let's begin.

1. An Opening Statement

2. What is your view on the American presence in Iraq?

3. What is the first bill you would introduced if elected?

Personalized Questions:
To Tyler Medford: You've attracted attention for your support for civil partnerships for gay couples. This is a position that remains unpopular with many Republican voters. Could you justify this position?
To Francis McGuinty and Jabez Parsons: You have both spoken a lot about reducing the deficit, specifically by eliminating earmarks. But in 2005, total Earmark spending only made up approximately 8.5% of the budget deficit. Many conservative fiscal experts and Councillor Smith have said it will take comprehensive entitlement reform to balance the budget. Do you agree?
To Buck Wilton: You have criticized the American presence in Iraq. What do you make of the American presence in Afghanistan?
To Benjamin Smith: Do you support raising the retirement age? And if so, to what?
To David McLeod and Anna Hammond: What would you consider when voting on legislation concerning taxation?

4. Rebuttal Period

5. Closing Statement

WENH Democratic Debate

Tim Black: Welcome to the WENH Democratic debate, televised by WENH and PBS. I'm here with Harold Galster from the Union Leader. Let's begin.

1. An Opening Statement

2. How would you reform the American healthcare system?

3. What is the biggest issue facing Granite staters today?

Personalized Questions:
To Brian Wilson: Why does New Hampshire need a small businessmen in Congress?
To Michael Ashdown: As a veteran, what do you have to say about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan?
To Jennifer Annika: Why does New Hampshire need a Doctor in Congress?
To David O'Connor: You moved to New Hampshire only around two years ago. Why should New Hampshire voters trust you to represent them?
To Kyle Millenberg: You worked to reform the Treasurer's office in Belknap county? What financial reforms would you implement nationally?
To Bill Fiske: Do you think the Central American Free Trade Agreement will be good for New Hampshire jobs?
Lauren Winters: You've gotten attention from environmental groups for coming out against drilling in the ANWR. What should be America's energy independence strategy if not new drilling in Alaska? How would you fight for lower fuel costs for Granite staters?

4. Rebuttal Period

5. Closing Statement

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 11:42:29 PM »

Turn III: January 1st 2006-May 1st 2006

[1]

Tom Griffith: Hello, good morning, and welcome back to WMUR New Hampshire broadcasting from Manchester. It's a freezing January Day here in the New Year. Winds of up to 12 miles per hour and cold, cold conditions. We'll be checking in on the Mount Washington station today, In the news today, Tom DeLay, rocked by scandal says he won't seek his old post as Majority Leader. And new highs from the Dow, approaching a shocking 11,000 points. We've also got analysis on the race for Congress here in New Hampshire.

Jennifer Vaughn: Well both parties held their first debates, giving voters a real look at the candidates. On the Democratic side, various candidates called more government involvement in getting people health insurance, and all spoke loudly against the ongoing war in Iraq. David O'Connor, a banker who recently moved to New Hampshire, got attention for his cutting words, here's the tape

David O'Connor: Even to this day, the Bush/Cheney administration is pioneering wars for oil across the globe, sending brave young men and women to die in a war that we are just now beginning to understand the goal. That goal is to continue the dependance of the American people on oil, I want to see an America where we fight not for oil in a foreign land, but for the future of our children.

Jennifer Vaughn: Certainly harsh words from Mr. O'Connor.

Tom Griffith: For sure, and he wasn't the only one to gain attention. Lauren Winters, Mayor or Durham was attacking O'Connor, when she called him "part of the Washington establishment that has failed us for decades." Bill Fiske, Attorney from Conway attacked Winters for her support of new natural gas production. Definitely drawing battle lines. A WENH online poll of 112 people who said they saw the debate had Kyle Millenberg and Lauren Winters as the winners of the debate, though such a poll is highly unscientific.

Jennifer Vaughn: And what about the Republicans?

Tom Griffith: A fierce contest to be sure, with fire exchanged between Senator Medford, Mr. Parsons, and Councillor Smith. Medford accused Smith of trying to raise the retirement age, Smith accused Parsons of giving up on the fight in Iraq, and Parsons defending himself. We'll see if Republicans are making up their minds, and you know we will see, because thanks to the UNH Survey Center. Here we are, new polls in both primaries.

Republican Primary Poll
Sample Size: 504
MoE: +/- 4.7%
Undecided/Unfamiliar/Other-40%
Jabez Parsons-16%
Benjamin Smith-14%
Francis McGuinty-13%
Tyler Medford-11%
David McLeod-6%

Democratic Primary Poll
Sample Size: 511
MoE: +/- 4.6%
Undecided/Unfamiliar/Other-33%
David O’Connor-15%
Lauren Winters-12%
Bill Fiske-12%
Kyle Millenberg-11%
Jennifer Annika-9%
Brian Wilson-8%

Tom Griffith: Still lots of undecided voters, but we're starting to get a race here folks. On the Republican side I'm seeing gains from Councillor Smith, who has really carved out a niche as the most conservative, pro-Bush candidate. Parsons remains ahead, as many in the New Hampshire Republican establishment rally behind him, like Manchester's New Mayor Frank Guinta, he just made headlines by rallying behind Parson's candidacy.

Jennifer Vaughn: Are there any other endorsements we should know about?

Tom Griffith: Well there's a few, including Representative Bernie Sanders of Vermont. But the biggest one is John Kerry of Massachusetts, the Democratic presidential candidate just two years ago who won New Hampshire's primary, who has gotten behind his friend David O'Connor, and says he's putting all his resources behind getting him elected. And as well, the National Education Association here in New Hampshire endorsing Bill Fiske. That could be very very big. We've got more on that and other news after the break.

Jennifer Vaughn: Thanks Tom. We'll get onto that and more very soon, stick with us.

• Ben Bernanke appointed to Chair Federal Reserve
  • AIG settles for 1.64 billion with regulators after accusations of deceptive business practices
  • Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shoots lawyer while quail hunting

Welcome to the Third Turn of East of the Merrimack. This turn starts on January First and ends on May First. It will last in RL time for about 2-3 weeks. For this time you are free to post schedules for that period. There might be a debate this turn if people want another one. I will still accept turn two schedules. Turn two was another good one! Keep going!

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 01:39:48 PM »

Endorsements List

Republicans
Francis McGuinty:
Citizens Against Government Waste
Republican Liberty Caucus of New Hampshire
Jabez Parsons:
U.S. Senator from Indiana Richard Lugar
Manchester Mayor Frank Guinta
Bill Zeliff, Former U.S. Representative from NH-1
Charles Massahos*, Sheriff of Rockingham County
Scott Priestley*, Treasurer of Rockingham County
New Hampshire Lodging and Restaurant Association (Republican Endorsement)
Tyler Medford:
New Hampshire Young Republicans
Ted Gatsas, State Senator
Benjamin Smith:
Americans for Tax Reform
Former Secretary of Commerce Peter G. Peterson
The Heritage Foundation
Tom DeLay, U.S. Representative for TX-22
Newt Gingrich, Former Speaker of the House

Democrats
David O'Connor:
IBEW Local 104
U.S. Senator from Massachusetts John Kerry
Attorney and 2004 Kerry New Hampshire Campaign Chair Bill Shaheen
Norman D'Amours, Former U.S. Representative from NH-1
UA Local 131 Plumbers & Steamfitters
Jennifer Annika:
Emily's List
New Hampshire Nurses's Association
Bill Fiske:
National Education Association-New Hampshire
Mayor of Portsmouth Steve Marchand
Kyle Millenberg:
Belknap County Democratic Party (Each Local Committee voted to endorse, County Committee does not endorse)
Dean 2004 Campaign Manager Joe Trippi
United Steelworkers Laconia
Brian Wilson:
Business and Industry Association
New Hampshire Lodging and Restaurant Association (Democratic Endorsement)
New Hampshire Public Interest Research Group
Lauren Winters:
U.S. Representative from Vermont Bernie Sanders
Professional Firefighters of New Hampshire
Iris Estabrook, State Senator

If there is anything you believe to be missing, or things I should include that you should have to start, just tell me.

*Can't find the names for the people who held these offices in 2006, so using the modern names for convenience's sake and as a placeholder
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 06:26:26 PM »

Turn IV: May 1st 2006-September 1st

[1]

Tom Griffith: Hello, good morning, and welcome back to WMUR New Hampshire broadcasting from Manchester. It's a temperate May morning, we've got some wind going on here, some clouds in the sky, make sure to wear a sweater if you go out, the wind makes the chill chillier! Red Sox fans rejoice, as they defeat the Orioles, hopefully on their way to competitive Autumn Baseball. But the season is really just beginning. For automobile fans, good news, as Fiat announces Alfa Romeo will be returning to the United States, if you can afford it! We've got more stories coming to you today on spring events in the Granite State, but first, we've also got analysis on the race for Congress here in east New Hampshire.

Jennifer Vaughn: Well the campaign is really heating up, State Senator Maggie Hassan delivering the last shake up with an endorsement for Durham Mayor Lauren Winters. David O'Connor, Bill Fiske, Kyle Millenberg have all been in the press lately with their aggressive campaigning. Dr. Jennifer Annika on the other hand, has made news for the skiing accident that has kept her off the trail as of late.

Tom Griffith: On the Republican side things are no less heated. Jabez Parsons and Benjamin Smith are fighting for conservative votes, while Tyler Medford and Francis McGuinty are rising among those looking for an alternative to the usual goings on of politics. That race is no less close. The UNH Survey center has also supplied numbers to that effect, and in the Democratic primary, here they are.

Republican Primary Poll
Sample Size: 543
MoE: +/- 4.3%
Undecided/Unfamiliar/Other-20%  
Jabez Parsons-23%
Benjamin Smith-21%
Francis McGuinty-20%
Tyler Medford-18%

Democratic Primary Poll
Sample Size: 525
MoE: +/- 4.4%
Undecided/Unfamiliar/Other-19%
David O’Connor-20%
Bill Fiske-17%
Kyle Millenberg-15%
Jennifer Annika-15%
Lauren Winters-14%

Tom Griffith: A very competitive race, still with a lot of voters undecided, and remember there's that big margin of error, so who's to say what the make up of things really is.

Jennifer Vaughn: Anything else shaking up the race Tom?

Tom Griffith: Well Senator Chris Dodd has gotten behind O'Connor, the Human Rights Campaign, a homosexual rights advocacy group has endorsed Fiske, and there's a lot others, this race is a real exciting one. We'll cover it all after the break, including the next televised congressional debate!

• Al Qaeda in Iraq Leader Abu Musab Al Zarqawi is killed in a US air raid
  • North Korea tests long range missile Taepodong–2, reportedly a failure
  • Henry Paulson sworn in as new Treasury Secretary
  • Comair Flight 5191, carrying 50 people, crashes shortly after takeoff from Blue Grass Airport in Lexington, Kentucky

Welcome to the Fourth Turn of East of the Merrimack. This turn starts on May First and ends on September First. It will last in RL time for about 2-3 weeks. For this time you are free to post schedules for that period. There will be a debate this turn. I will still accept turn three schedules. Turn three was great, though I notice people are often cramming in the last few days. Do we not need as much time? I will keep the same week framework though this time because of the debate. The next turn will be brief but very exciting! Keep going!

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 09:40:04 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2021, 09:44:40 PM by KaiserDave »

Endorsements List

Republicans
Francis McGuinty:
Gun Owners of New Hampshire
U.S. Representative from TX-14 Ron Paul
FreedomWorks
Free State Project
Jabez Parsons:
Former U.S. Solicitor General Charles Fried
Former State House Speaker Gene G. Chandler
State House Speaker W. Douglas Scamman
Tyler Medford:
U.S. Senator from Maine Olympia Snowe
Ret. Colonel Scott Brown
UNH College Republicans
NH Firearms Coalition
Benjamin Smith:
Americans for Tax Reform
The Heritage Foundation
Executive Councillor Raymond Wieczorek
Former U.S. Senator Bob Smith
U.S. Senator from Mississippi Trent Lott

Democrats
David O'Connor:
IBEW Local 104
U.S. Senator from Connecticut Chris Dodd
U.S. Representative from Massachusetts's 8th District Stephen Lynch
State Senator Lou D'Allesandro
SEIU Local 1984
Jennifer Annika:
Emily's List
State Senator Brian Wilson
Bill Fiske:
Human Rights Campaign
Former Senator Warren Rudman
Kyle Millenberg:
Belknap County Democratic Party (Each Local Committee voted to endorse, County Committee does not endorse)
State Senator David Gottesman
Former Vermont Governor Howard Dean (Privately)
Former Minority Leader Dick Gephardt
IBEW Local 1837
Lauren Winters:
State Senator Maggie Hassan
Granite State Progress
New Hampshire Citizens Alliance

*Can't find the names for the people who held these offices in 2006, so using the modern names for convenience's sake and as a placeholder
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 08:30:53 PM »

Welcome to the second debate of East of the Merrimack. Debates in this game will be important in delineating differences between candidates, and forcing you to take tough positions. It will give you a chance to attack your opponents, and show why you're the best candidate. This opens up potential endorsements and other sources of support. Debates will be judged on the cohesiveness of your answers (not, cohesiveness is not grammar, people don't always speak in good grammar), and rhetorical skill. There will also be a randomized element for scoring. There will be an opening statement, two general questions, and a personalized question. You are also invited to post another written statement, rebutting the views of others or attacking other candidates. If you are posting your debate responses before everyone else and you want to wait to see what others do, you can post a response to what others have posted after you. But do not edit it after you post it (I will notice). Naturally there will also be a closing statement. Answers should be of reasonable lengths. Not four sentences, and also not two paragraphs. Responses are due on March 6th. I look forward to the joy this will bring!

University of New Hampshire PBS Republican Debate

Russel Morgan: Welcome to the Chamber of Commerce Republican Debate here at the Strand Dover. I'm Russel Morgan of the New Hampshire PBS, I'm joined by Ms. Evelyn Henry, senior at UNH and from the UNH political science department, and Wesley Jones of the Union Leader. Today we're moderating the second Republican debate for Congress in New Hampshire's First District. Let's begin.

1. An Opening Statement

2. What is your view on abortion and Roe vs. Wade?

3. How should America get to energy independence?

Personalized Questions:
To Tyler Medford: You've said that gun regulations are unacceptable, why is that?
To Francis McGuinty: You're the only candidate from background not in elected politics, do you want to elaborate on what that means?
To Jabez Parsons: What do you think is the biggest national security threat to the United States?
To Benjamin Smith: You've travelled out of state to various big dollar fundraisers, some have raised concerns this leaves you out of touch with the voters. What do you say to that?

4. Rebuttal Period

5. Closing Statement

WENH Democratic Debate

Tim Black: Welcome to the WENH Democratic debate, televised by WENH. I'm here with Edmund Williams from the New Hampshire Gazette. Let's begin.

1. An Opening Statement

2. Should President Bush be impeached?

3. How would you bring more jobs to New Hampshire?

Personalized Questions:

To Jennifer Annika: What will you do to bring federal dollars to New Hampshire?
To David O'Connor: What is the biggest threat to the American middle class today?
To Kyle Millenberg: Rumor has it, DNC Chair Howard Dean thinks you'd be the best nominee. Why do you think this is?
To Bill Fiske: You've gotten endorsed by the largest Teachers Union in New Hampshire. What's your plan for education?
Lauren Winters: You've made a few statements indicating potential support for a Canadian style single payer system? Care to elaborate?

4. Rebuttal Period

5. Closing Statement

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 02:14:28 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2021, 08:57:15 PM by KaiserDave »

Turn V/Final Stretch: September 1st 2006-September 12th

[1]

Tom Griffith: Hello, good morning, and welcome back to WMUR New Hampshire broadcasting from Manchester. It's a mild September morning, we've got some decent winds, so put on a sweater before going out. In the sports world, the Red Sox edge out Toronto by a single run, and the entirety of New England eagerly awaits the inaugural Patriots game on September 10th, and the continued great deeds of Tom Brady. But Granite Staters are really paying attention to the Congressional primaries that have really heated up lately. Ads are hitting the air, candidates are traveling across the state, and people are really starting to tune in. We're expecting newspaper endorsements this week, and then primary day is on the 12th.

Jennifer Vaughn: You can say that again, the competitiveness and spirit of the primary in the first district really feels comparable to the presidential primary two and a half years ago. Folks are really intrigued, and it's reflected in the yard signs across the state. On my way to work today I walked by three yard signs for David O'Connor, a homemade Jabez Parsons sign, at least four for Benjamin Smith, one for Bill Fiske, two for Jennifer Annika, you know the list just goes on. Granite staters are seeing TV ads all the time, and in the papers and radio as well.

Tom Griffith: These ads, starting to go on the offensive too. Including across party lines, Lauren Winters attacked Benjamin Smith for his more conservative views on the issues. We've also gotten more endorsements as of late, though with New Hampshire Right to Life declining, Americans for Prosperity backing Smith, and the NRA backing Medford. Maybe putting Jabez Parsons on edge as primary day approaches, he better hope for some good writings from New Hampshire's papers. On the Democratic side, Wisconsin Senator Russ Feingold endorsed Lauren Winters, and Ohio Congressman Dennis Kucinish endorsing Kyle Millenberg. The League of Conservation Voters backed Bill Fiske, and the Sierra Club backed Lauren Winters. And of course as we covered last week, the really big one, U.S. Senator and former First Lady coming to bat for Jennifer Annika. She'll be back this week apparently to hold two rallies for her. Really really getting close.

Jennifer Vaughn: Speaking of, we've got a new poll that reflects that from NH-PBS partnering with Braun Research. Here they are.

Republican Primary Poll
Sample Size: 551
MoE: +/- 4.0%
Undecided/Unfamiliar/Other-5%  
Benjamin Smith-27%
Jabez Parsons-26%
Tyler Medford-24%
Francis McGuinty-20%

Democratic Primary Poll
Sample Size: 549
MoE: +/- 4.1%
Undecided/Unfamiliar/Other-6%
Bill Fiske-20%
David O’Connor-19%
Kyle Millenberg-19%
Lauren Winters-19%
Jennifer Annika-17%

Tom Griffith: This is really going down to the wire. Remember folks there's that big margin of error, as well as fact that we've got a lot of folks still undecided. It's really anybody's game.

Jennifer Vaughn: Well we've got about two weeks left. We'll be bringing you results as they come in on the night of.

Tom Griffith: We're going to break, when we come back, interviews with the voters on what they're thinking!

Welcome to the Fifth and final primary turn of East of the Merrimack. This turn starts on September First and ends on September 12th. Turns are due next Tuesday. For this time you are free to post schedules for that period. I will post the interviews with voters I mentioned above for flavor, and I will post the newspaper endorsements. Primary night results next week, very exciting! It's very close!

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 09:03:24 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2021, 09:57:52 PM by KaiserDave »

Endorsements List

Republicans
Francis McGuinty:
Gun Owners of New Hampshire
U.S. Representative from TX-14 Ron Paul
FreedomWorks
Free State Project
Jabez Parsons:
Former U.S. Solicitor General Charles Fried
Former State House Speaker Gene G. Chandler
State House Speaker W. Douglas Scamman
Carl R. Johnson, President Pro Tempore of the State Senate
Tyler Medford:
U.S. Senator from Maine Olympia Snowe
Ret. Colonel Scott Brown
UNH College Republicans
NH Firearms Coalition
New Hampshire NRA
Benjamin Smith:
Americans for Tax Reform
The Heritage Foundation
Executive Councillor Raymond Wieczorek
Former U.S. Senator Bob Smith
U.S. Senator from Mississippi Trent Lott
Americans for Prosperity
Cornerstone Policy Research
New Hampshire Energy Forum (of the American Petroleum Institute)

Democrats
David O'Connor:
IBEW Local 104
U.S. Senator from Connecticut Chris Dodd
U.S. Representative from Massachusetts's 8th District Stephen Lynch
State Senator Lou D'Allesandro
SEIU Local 1984
State Employees Association of New Hampshire
Robert A. Baines, Former Mayor of Manchester
U.S. Senator from Massachusetts Ted Kennedy
Jennifer Annika:
Emily's List
State Senator Brian Wilson
Planned Parenthood Action Fund
NH Democratic Women's Caucus
American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network
U.S. Senator from New York Hillary Clinton
Bill Fiske:
Human Rights Campaign
Former Senator Warren Rudman
League of Conservation Voters
Kyle Millenberg:
State Senator David Gottesman
Former Vermont Governor Howard Dean (Privately)
Former Minority Leader Dick Gephardt
IBEW Local 1837
Representative from Ohio-10 Dennis Kucinich
United Association 131 PPF Local
National Rural Letter Carriers Association
Laborer's Local 668
State Senator Martha Fuller Clark
Lauren Winters:
State Senator Maggie Hassan
Granite State Progress
New Hampshire Citizens Alliance
U.S. Senator from Wisconsin Russ Feingold
Sierra Club
Teamsters 633 TCWH Local
IBEW 2320

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2021, 09:32:54 PM »

Newspaper Endorsements

Laconia Citizen: Kyle Millenberg (D)

The New Hampshire Union Leader: Jabez Parsons (R)

Foster's Daily Democrat: Benjamin Smith (R)

The Portsmouth Herald: Kyle Millenberg (D)

Salmon Press Group: Bill Fiske (D)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 12:22:04 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2021, 12:51:29 PM by KaiserDave »

Primary Night

[1]

Tom Griffith: Hello, good evening, and welcome back to WMUR New Hampshire. It's primary night in New Hampshire as voters go the polls to conclude what has been a riveting primary season. Really riveting hasn't it Jennifer?

Jennifer Vaughn: So true Tom, these last few months have been really exciting. There has been a blitz of advertisement, and we've had an army of national politicians come down to the state to promote their vision for America here in the Granite State, including several 2008 presidential hopefuls like Senators Russ Feingold and Hillary Clinton and Congressman Dennis Kucinich. The polls show a very close race, anybody could win.

(Cuts to clips of candidates Bill Fiske, David O'Connor, Tyler Medford, and Benjamin Smith campaigning)

Tom Griffith: This last week in particular it got really intense, with protests organized in Manchester against the appearance of conservative Mississippi Senator Trent Lott.

(Cuts to clips of protests against Lott, with several protesters carrying signs for Lauren Winters and Jennifer Annika)

Jennifer Vaughn: And today we're seeing long lines at the polls, we've got Erin Fehlau and Sean McDonald at polling sites in Manchester and Dover respectively, and we've got Ray Brewer at Jabez Parson's primary night headquarters, John DiStaso at Kyle Millenberg's in Laconia, and several other of WMUR's best and brightest at events for each candidate across the state.

(camera cuts to video of all of them)

Tom Griffith: We'll be sure to get you on the ground updates from all of them. And now voters are going to the polls. And polls close in a about an hour. So, soon we'll be getting some numbers on where this stands. I'm very excited to see what happens. Jennifer?

Jennifer Vaughn: For sure Tom, stick with us folks as we get exit polls and soon, the first numbers on what New Hampshire is thinking.

Welcome to the primary election night of East of the Merrimack. Starting today and going into tomorrow I will post the results of the primary in a dramatic election night fashion. You are free to post the activities of your candidates as results come in for flavor purposes, but the results at this point, are baked in. Whatever happens, you all did stupendously, and I wish you could all win! The primary season has been fun, and I look forward to the general election turn with our two yet to be revealed primary winners. Enjoy!

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2021, 02:20:07 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2021, 03:40:43 PM by KaiserDave »

Primary Night

[1]

Tom Griffith: And we're back, and with the clock striking 7, the polls have closed. Note that if you're on line now, stay on line, and we're hearing that the lines are indeed quite long. So, now that it's 7 on the east coast we can expect results, but first we're going to present our exit polls, brought to us right now by our political director Josh McElveen.

Josh McElveen: Thanks Tom, before we get our first actual votes, we have our exit polls, which could give us a hint of where the race is at. These exit polls are something we are proud of, but they aren't perfect and we urge caution when our viewers see them, they aren't to be read into too much.

Tom Griffith: Do the candidates have this data?

Josh McElveen: Well they probably have their own data, but this information is going to be revealed to them as soon as it is revealed to our viewers.

Tom Griffith: Alright, what are the numbers?

Josh McElveen: Here they are, on the screen now.

WMUR Exit Poll
What issue do you believe is most important? (Democrats)
Corruption/Ethics: 22%
War In Iraq: 19%
Economy: 15%
Healthcare: 14%
Education: 10%
Price of Gas: 9%
Terrorism: 8%
Immigration: 6%

What issue do you believe is most important? (Republicans)

War In Iraq: 21%
Terrorism: 19%
Price of Gas: 16%
Economy: 15%
Immigration: 9%
Corruption/Ethics: 7%
Education: 7%
Healthcare: 6%

What is your ideology (Democrats)?
Liberal: 38%
Moderate: 46%
Conservative: 16%

What is your ideology (Republicans)?
Conservative: 54%
Moderate: 35%
Liberal: 11%

Do you approve of President Bush? (Democrats)
Disapprove: 90%
Approve: 6%
Undecided: 4%

Do you approve of President Bush? (Republicans)
Approve: 91%
Disapprove 7%
Undecided: 2%

How much does your union's endorsement matter when you vote? (Democrats)
Not a Union Household: 54%
A lot: 23%
A decent amount: 13%
Very Little: 8%
Not at All: 2%

What is more important to you? (Republicans)
Being an Independent Voice for New Hampshire: 64%
Standing with President Bush: 36%

What is more important to you? (Democrats)
Values of a Candidate: 76%
Winning a General Election: 23%

Jennifer Vaughn: Very interesting stuff Josh, I'm particularly intrigued by those numbers on standing with President Bush, versus being an independent voice. As we can see, Republican voters saying being an independent voice for New Hampshire is far more important than standing with President Bush. Perhaps that's bad news for conservative Ben Smith?

Josh McElveen: If he was in a one on one with the more centre-right Jabez Parsons, perhaps, but you've got to remember we've got four Republicans running, and of course New Hampshire has a rich tradition of write in candidates.

Tom Griffith: Well (looks behind him) do we have any numbers yet? No? Alright well we can look at these, and it says a good deal. Including that about a third of Democratic electorate values union endorsements. Unions endorsed many candidates but the biggest ones got behind David O'Connor, so maybe he can turn that into a win tonight. Or perhaps Lauren Winters, Bill Fiske, and Kyle Millenberg who each got labor endorsements themselves can make something happen. Bill Fiske in particular got that Teacher's Union endorsement, a very big win.

Jennifer Vaughn: And I think now at 7:19 we've got our first numbers from Hillsborough county, from Manchester township, it's limited but we've got some stuff. Let's show you what we've got.

David O'Connor: 25%-108  
Jennifer Annika: 22%-95
Lauren Winters: 21%-91
Bill Fiske: 20%-86
Kyle Millenberg: 12%-52

Tyler Medford: 35%-160
Jabez Parsons: 25%-114
Benjamin Smith: 23%-105
Francis McGuinty: 16%-73

Tom Griffith: And here we go!

If you have any questions in or out of game, don't hesitate to message me.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2021, 06:55:58 PM »

Primary Night

[1]

Tom Griffith: Alright welcome back to WMUR New Hampshire, votes are starting to trickle in, the ticker below will update as new totals come in. We're going to get to our team on the ground, first, a few projections.

(graphics appear showing the projections as Tom reads them off)

Tom Griffith: John Lynch will be renominated by the Democratic Party, not a surprise. He'll be facing State Representative Jim Coburn. Democrats are feeling very confident about holding the State House, Governor Lynch remains popular, even in the Republican Party. In the second district, Representative Bass dispatches two conservative challengers, he'll be facing attorney Paul Hodes, who has won the democratic nomination. Now back to the very competitive race here in the first district. Let's check in on John DiStaso, who is in Laconia, where Kyle Millenberg is headquartered. John, these early numbers from Manchester look pretty bad for Millenberg, placing him dead last. How's the feeling in Laconia?

(cuts to John DiStaso at an outdoor rally, with several Millenberg signs seen)

John DiStaso: They're not at all worried Tom. There's not even a thousand votes from Manchester, and they're not worried. They feel that when the more rural towns start reporting, Nottingham, Strafford, Northwood, they'll start doing better, specifically when Belknap County reports, they thing it'll vault him into the top tier.

Tom Griffith: Aren't they worried that bad performances in cities might be a problem for them?

John DiStaso: They think they have good numbers with young voters in the cities, they're very encouraged by the newspaper endorsement from Portsmouth, they're optimistic, this place is still buzzing.

Tom Griffith: Very well, I hear we're getting new numbers from outside of Manchester, so we'll go to that, thank you John. So, what are we getting Josh?

Josh McElveen: Alright we have new numbers from the seacoast. Hampton, Rye, Seabrook, and Portsmouth. As well as new Manchester numbers, so what we're seeing is very good numbers in the Republican primary for Jabez Parsons. This is Rockingham county, he's from the county, not from the coast but he should be strong here. That said, Benjamin Smith is from Portsmouth so he should have an advantage here. Right now the numbers aren't so great, he's losing in a lot of these places, barely ahead in Portsmouth, but these numbers are limited, in Portsmouth we don't even have half the vote in. But that's not even with worst news for him, remember our exit poll, we asked voters what they're prioritizing. Among the 7% of the Republicans prioritizing ethics and corruption, Benjamin Smith is below 10% with those voters.

Jennifer Vaughn: Is there any good news for Benjamin Smith?

Josh McElveen: Well these numbers are limited, and we haven't got any numbers from Carroll County, with those Lake Winnipesaukee mansions where he is expected to perform well. So he is still in a position to win, it's just that these initial results may come from places where he is not very strong.

Tom Griffith: I see we are getting results from the sliver of the district in Merrimack county as well now, but tell us about the Democratic primary Josh.

Josh McElveen: In short, good news for Bill Fiske. He was endorsed by the Mayor of Portsmouth, he spent a lot of time in this area. He appealed very strongly to white collar professionals and middle class voters. It looks like he's reaping some fruit here. He's winning Portsmouth as our count stands, and I see we're getting results from inland Rockingham county as well, Brentwood, Exeter, Chester, Epping, and a few other spots. Fiske performing well there, but you see Lauren Winters is performing well here too. Some bad news for Jennifer Annika and Kyle Millenberg, they're not exactly excelling, but our numbers are still limited.

Jennifer Vaughn: Alright, where does the race stand now?

Tom Griffith: Here are the figures. And that Medford lead has been whittled down, and O'Connor's too. Things are really moving.

David O'Connor: 22%-1,091
Bill Fiske: 21%-1,052
Jennifer Annika: 21%-1,045
Lauren Winters: 21%-1,036
Kyle Millenberg: 15%-757

Tyler Medford: 29%-1,251
Jabez Parsons: 29%-1,239
Benjamin Smith: 26%-1,134
Francis McGuinty: 15%-669

Tom Griffith: More results soon, and talking with more of reporters on the ground after the break.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2021, 08:13:09 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2021, 08:16:47 PM by KaiserDave »

Primary Night

[1]

Tom Griffith: Welcome back to WMUR New Hampshire, it is 8 on the east coast and results are starting to pour in by the thousands. Both primary races are too close to call according to the WMUR decision desk. But that won't stop us from speculating.

Jennifer Vaughn: I'm noticing Jennifer Annika who got a big endorsement from Hillary Clinton near the end of the campaign, which propelled her campaigning which had been doing mediocre in polling into the thick of it, right now she's in second place. Watch out for Dr. Annika I say.

Tom Griffith: If they've got WMUR at Annika HQ they'll certainly like the sound of that. But I want to ask Josh, where are the results coming from now?

Josh McElveen: Well now it's all over. We've got votes from Strafford, Carroll counties, more votes from Merrimack, Hillsborough, and Rockingham. Really everywhere but Belknap, where we're hearing there's been an issue with ballot counting, but we think we'll get numbers from there soon.

Tom Griffith: What do these numbers look like?

Josh McElveen: I'm looking at southern Strafford county and inland Rockingham, where a Mayor Lauren Winters is performing very well. She's the Mayor of Durham, and she's received 61% in that township. Very impressive total, in Brentwood she's ahead and in Newfields and Newmarket she's ahead. If she can run up the numbers here in southeastern New Hampshire, she may yet win it. We're expecting approximately 700 votes from Dover proper, and that will be very important to see how that splits, Annika and Winters have both made a big play there. I'm also watching Carroll County, specifically Conway where Bill Fiske is from. We have a small amount of results from Conway, where we're expecting about 100 votes, and Fiske is doing quite well. If he can run up the totals in this county he can win.

Tom Griffith: What's the situation for Kyle Millenberg, who seems to be lagging behind?

Josh McElveen: Well his numbers are improving as we get more data from rural areas. We can see in Pittsfield and Northwood he's performing a lot better than on the seacoast and adjacent areas. Two other reasons why he's still in this are, that is numbers in Manchester are improving, and that among self identified conservative Democrats, he's actually mating David O'Connor, a bit of surprise from the candidate who came in for impeaching the President. David O'Connor by the way has expanded his lead a bit as more blue collar areas of Rockingham come in, and he has chipped away at Fiske's lead in the area.

Jennifer Vaughn: In the Republican primary I see Jabez Parsons has taken the lead.

Josh McElveen: Yes that must be the full results from Chester, where Parsons crosses 60%, if only barely. But yes, Parsons doing pretty good in Rockingham in general, he's behind in Portsmouth proper, but he's winning in a lot of areas around Portsmouth. As for Tyler Medford he's got some strength in rural areas, I think that endorsement from the National Rifle Association and New Hampshire Firearms Coalition is keeping him competitive, as we can see in places like Northwood, where he is actually winning. Medford certainly has a....unique coalition.

Tom Griffith: Well we're looking at these results now, it seems like O'Connor is ahead by more, Annika it seems has fallen a bit, she'll certainly want to see those votes from Dover come in, and Millenberg is waiting on Belknap.

David O'Connor: 24%-3,284
Bill Fiske: 21%-2,932
Lauren Winters: 21%-2,912
Jennifer Annika: 19%-2,654
Kyle Millenberg: 15%-2,065

Jabez Parsons: 30%-3,972
Tyler Medford: 28%-3,722
Benjamin Smith: 27%-3,591
Francis McGuinty: 14%-1,891

34% of Precincts Reporting

Tom Griffith: More results soon, and talking with more of reporters on the ground after the break.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2021, 10:33:42 PM »

Primary Night

[1]

Tom Griffith: Welcome back to our riveting primary night results at the WMUR studio here in Manchester. And it's right here in Manchester where we've gotten more results, and we're almost at half of all polls reporting.

Jennifer Vaughn: The Republican race continues to be close, but it's somewhat static, the Democratic race on the other hand is so close the order keeps changing. And in a big way just now, as Belknap county just released half its vote.

Tom Griffith: Josh, what does this look like?

Josh McElveen: In a word? Big. Very big. Kyle Millenberg is running at 54% of the vote in Belknap County, which is far more than anybody is getting in any county. This has propelled from the bottom to near the top. He's also improving as more rural towns report, like Farmington and New Durham. Those early results were really bad for Millenberg, but these new results look like he's getting what he needs to maybe take this thing. Running in second is Winters, but with Fiske biting on her heels, and O'Connor on his.

Tom Griffith: What about the Republicans?

Josh McElveen: This county right now is fourth place finisher Francis McGuinty's best, but he's running behind...wow, Tyler Medford. This is surprising, the Manchester State Senator is actually winning Belknap County. He's just ahead of McGuinty and Smith, with Parsons last. I think the campaigns will be shocked by this. This must be those NRA mailers that went out a few days ago, and perhaps more, because Medford is doing a great job right here in Belknap.

Tom Griffith: And what else has reported.

Josh McElveen: More from Manchester, Carroll, and Stafford. And those results have been very good for Bill Fiske and Lauren Winters. Fiske is hitting his targets in Carroll County, and in Conway, and Winters is performing well in the Dover outskirts, even if there's something to be desired from Dover itself, where Annika is now winning.

Jennifer Vaughn: Now, each candidate with the Democrats, what are they looking for?

Josh McElveen: O'Connor is waiting on Rockingham. It looks like Manchester won't have the votes to put him over the top, and his performance in Belknap and Carroll won't do it, so he'll be watching Rockingham's remaining vote to lock this up. Winters will keep watching Dover, and what's left in Rockingham, that will be really crucial. Millenberg wants to keep watching these rural towns, he's winning most of em, and it looks like he'll win every one in Belknap. If he can win them all by a lot, he could win. He just wants to keep his numbers good everywhere else. Fiske needs to keep running up his numbers in Carroll, and improve in the seacoast, then he can win. Annika needs to run it up in Dover, and the remaining vote everywhere else, it's certainly achievable for anyone to take it.

Tom Griffith: Okay we're going to Sean McDonald, who just arrived at Benjamin Smith's primary night event. What's the attitude like there?

(camera cuts to Sean McDonald)

Sean McDonald: It's getting a bit tense, there was a massive feeling of disappointment when Belknap reported. They were getting really excited for a surge of votes to put them over the top, and it never materialized. Now they're watching Carroll and what remains from the seacoast to put Smith over the top, it can happen, he'll just need to hit his targets.

Tom Griffith: How much is left from Carroll and the seacoast?

Sean McDonald: Enough, but Smith will need to win about a third of what's out in those areas.

Tom Griffith: Well, we'll see if he does it. Now to a break, but here are the results as they stand.

David O'Connor: 21%-4,057
Kyle Millenberg: 20%-3,845
Bill Fiske: 20%-3,821
Lauren Winters: 20%-3,807
Jennifer Annika: 19%-3,713

Jabez Parsons: 29%-5,618
Tyler Medford: 27%-5,201
Benjamin Smith: 27%-5,185
Francis McGuinty: 16%-3,090

57% of Precincts Reporting

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 08:30:26 AM »

Primary Night

[1]

Tom Griffith: Welcome back to our continuing coverage of the New Hampshire midterm primaries, it's approaching 9 in the east and these results are not yet concluded, though we're getting there. A very close race in both primaries.

Jennifer Vaughn: Indeed, both races are razor thin, especially the Democratic one which keeps bouncing back and forth.

Tom Griffith: I understand we have new votes and more bouncing?

Josh McElveen: Yes we do, the remaining vote from Manchester and Dover, as well as more from Belknap. And Jennifer Annika has benefitted greatly, vaulting herself back into contention. She got pretty good numbers from Dover and what was left in Manchester, is it enough? We'll see, the race is close enough that we don't know. For the Republicans, the newest Belknap numbers were much better for Benjamin Smith than the last numbers, and he's now in second in the county, right behind Tyler Medford. He is within single digits, in terms of raw vote, of the Manchester State Senator.

Tom Griffith: So, what's left, and who needs it?

Josh McElveen: We've got the remaining vote in Rockingham County, Carroll County, and a small amount in Strafford and Belknap. And for the Democrats it's simply anybody's game. For the Republicans, advantage Parsons, but if Smith or Medford get lucky, who knows they could take it.

Jennifer Vaughn: Now, is there any hint you can give us on how the Democratic primary will end up?

Josh McElveen: I know as much as you know, but I'm looking at what's left. Exeter, Greenland, Stratham, Nottingham, Raymond, Tuftonboro, Bartlett, Gilmanton, a precinct is out in Portsmouth. Let's see what kind of splits we get.

Tom Griffith: Wow, this is certainly one to remember, we'll now go live to Ray Brewer, at Jabez Parson's headquarters. Ray?

(camera cuts to Ray Brewer)

Ray Brewer: Hi Tom.

Tom Griffith: So Tom, do you think we'll hear anything from Parsons tonight?

Ray Brewer: Quite likely Tom, the latest results from Dover and Manchester were very good for Parsons to the excitement here is starting to grow. On the other hand, Benjamin Smith is clawing back with these latest returns from Belknap, so there remains a palpable sense of anxiety as well.

Tom Griffith: What have you heard from the Parsons team?

Ray Brewer: Cautious optimism Tom, but they think they'll know if they've won within a half hour.

Tom Griffith: Thank you Ray, we're going to go to break, but before we go, here are the numbers as they stand right now.

David O'Connor: 21%-5,351
Kyle Millenberg: 20%-5,299
Jennifer Annika: 20%-5,247
Lauren Winters: 20%-5,211
Bill Fiske: 19%-5,056

Jabez Parsons: 29%-7,325
Benjamin Smith: 27%-6,850
Tyler Medford: 27%-6,841
Francis McGuinty: 15%-3,825

74% of Precincts Reporting

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2021, 10:32:40 AM »

Primary Night

[1]

Tom Griffith: We'r back with our continuing coverage of the primary in New Hampshire's second district, a race that remains very close, but it's past 9 now in the east and we're expecting winners very, very soon.

Jennifer Vaughn: Both races remain very close, especially the Democratic one, with the fifth and first place candidate only separated by a few hundred votes. We think there's about 5 thousand votes out, so that difference can be closed.

Tom Griffith: But you've got to get those percentages in the key townships. One remembers the New Hampshire primaries. Bill Clinton was closing the gap with Paul Tsongas, but you could see Clinton wasn't getting the percentage results he needed to actually win, so networks felt pretty good about calling the race. So Josh, we're getting new results from Rockingham County, and from Belknap and Carroll, is Benjamin Smith still in this thing? Is Tyler Medford?

Josh McElveen: It looks like it's getting much harder for them to win. We just got a lot of fully reported areas. Exeter is all in, South Hampton is all in, Stratham is all in. In Belknap, Barnstead and Belmont are all in. In Carroll, Jackson, Tuftonboro are all in. Smith improved his totals, especially when the remaining precinct in Portsmouth dropped. But he needed to win about 34% of that, and he only got 31% of that total. It becomes hard to win at that point. Tyler Medford looked like he could stage an upset early on, but he's not doing well enough in Rockingham to make that happen.

Tom Griffith: And for the Democrats?

Josh McElveen: The big beneficiaries of the latest results were Lauren Winters and Bill Fiske. It doesn't look like David O'Connor had enough in Manchester, nor Jennifer Annika enough in Dover to win it. They could still win if they get enough from the numbers still out, but, it's hard. Belknap is almost all out, so where is the remaining vote. Well it's really sprinkled everywhere. A few thousand votes are still out generally across the district, fairly evenly distributed. Anybody can win.

Jennifer Vaughn: Well, we're excited to see how takes the democratic nomination, but I think we have a projection for the Republican one.

Tom Griffith: Indeed we do. WMUR can project that State legislator and Chester Town Moderator Jabez Parsons has won the Republican nomination for New Hampshire's first district. Powered by a strong performance in Rockingham and Strafford counties, he will take the day.

(Jabez Parsons projection graphic appears)

Tom Griffith: We'll have reaction and more analysis after the break. But we know at least one of our winners tonight.

Bill Fiske: 21%-6,768
Lauren Winters: 20%-6,638
Kyle Millenberg: 20%-6,541
David O'Connor: 20%-6,476
Jennifer Annika: 19%-6,341

Jabez Parsons: 30%-9,614 ✔
Benjamin Smith: 27%-8,629
Tyler Medford: 27%-8,496
Francis McGuinty: 15%-4,762

89% of Precincts Reporting

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2021, 04:37:02 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2021, 09:22:31 PM by KaiserDave »

Primary Results

[1]

Tom Griffith: Good morning New Hampshire. Today is September 13th, and yesterday was primary day, and boy was it exciting.

Jennifer Vaughn: You can say that again Tom, two gripping, competitive and close contests, really kept us at the edges of our seats last night.

Tom Griffith: And as you said, both very close, and the Democratic one ultimately decided by a single sword stroke. Last night, State Senator and Chester Town Moderator Jabez Parsons was nominated by the Republican Party as their candidate for New Hampshire's First District, and Durham Mayor Lauren Winters was nominated by the Democratic Party as their candidate.

Jennifer Vaughn: Mayor Winters was powered by a broad coalition of very liberal Democrats who liked her anti war and pro universal healthcare stance and some more moderate attracted by her pragmatic views on trade and immigration, support for gun rights.

Tom Griffith: This race really came down to a small amount of votes, but a win is a win, I look forward to the competitive Parsons vs Winters general election. It will be something. Here is a detailed summary of results.

Lauren Winters: 20.4%-7,368 ✔
Bill Fiske: 20.2%-7,296
Kyle Millenberg: 19.9%-7,189
David O'Connor: 19.9%-7,177
Jennifer Annika: 19.5%-7,046

Jabez Parsons: 30.1%-10,417 ✔
Benjamin Smith: 27.5%-9,655
Tyler Medford: 27.2%-9,483
Francis McGuinty: 15.2%-5,295

100% of Precincts Reporting

Fellows, this was something truly amazing. It's my first time running an American election game, and I consider the first and principal half to have been a smashing success. The winner was determined by a combination of qualitative stats (my views on your campaigns, the lane you took, debate performances, schedule consistency, my take on the 2006 environment based on data) and RNG. I wish you all could have won, I really do. It's painful because you all made such amazing characters. I hope you won't hold any of this against me, it's just a game Smiley . Just know that there are always more games to be played! I'm sure we will all enjoy them together.

As for our winners, congratulations! I look forward immensely to the general election.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2021, 02:54:06 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2021, 05:07:13 PM by KaiserDave »

General Election: Turn I September 12th-October 31st

[1]

Tom Griffith: Good morning New Hampshire. Welcome to WMUR New Hampshire, broadcasting from Manchester. Watch out for the wind it's a real windy one today, temperatures in the mid fifties on this September day. Today we turn out attention to the exciting congressional race in New Hampshire's First District between Durham Mayor Lauren Winters and Chester Town Moderator and State Senator Jabez Parsons, they're starting to hit the trail for the November election, and folks are starting to pay attention.

Jennifer Vaughn: And I thought the primaries were exciting!

Tom Griffith: Well I'm very excited for the general election campaign, it should be very special, and to kick it off we have a new poll from the American Research Group, indicating where the race is at right now.

Jennifer Vaughn: I remind our viewers there's always the potential for error, especially in the campaign, but this is where the ARG says we're at right now.

American Research Group Poll: Who do you support for Congress in New Hampshire's First District?
Conducted from September 15th-September 19th
Sample Size: 545
MoE: +/- 4.3%
Jabez Parsons: 46%
Lauren Winters: 42%

Undecided/Other: 12%

Tom Griffith: Early advantage to Senator Parsons it seems, but with over 10% undecided. I thing we can say for sure that this race will be close. I'm very excited to see where this goes. And I look forward to interviewing both of the candidates.

Jennifer Vaughn: I'm not sure they're looking forward Tom. You ask the tough questions and we all know how politicians move.

Tom Griffith: What can I say? I ask the tough questions, I look forward to meeting Mr. Parsons and Ms. Winters.

Welcome to the first of two terms of the General Election phase of East of the Merrimack. I'm very excited folks! You will be expected to post your schedules for the amount of time specified above, September 12th to October 31st. There will be a debate this turn, and you will also be sent questions for a TV interview with Tom Griffith which will be very important to how voters just now paying attention perceive you. It is very important, as is the debate. Looking forward to the schedules this turn! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Former candidates are free to show their activities, but naturally this is optional.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2021, 01:55:21 PM »

Tom Griffith Interviews

[1]

Tom Griffith: Hello WMUR viewers. This week I had the privilege of sitting down with the two major candidates for Congress in the First District, Durham Mayor Lauren Winters and Chester Native State Senator Jabez Parsons. Here's what we discussed.

Winters Interview

Tom Griffith: Welcome Ms. Mayor, happy to be sitting across from you today.

Lauren Winters: It's my pleasure Tom.

Tom Griffith: Well, let's begin. How are you feeling about the general election?

Lauren Winters: I’m feeling good about the progress we’ve made. When we started this campaign, no one outside of Durham knew who I was. After a year of going out and spreading our message to every corner of southeastern New Hampshire, we won a competitive primary over better funded and more established opponents. I’m optimistic about the general election but not taking anything for granted.

Tom Griffith: Alright, alright. In that case, what do you think New Hampshire is looking for in a Congressperson?

Lauren Winters: From my experiences talking with people in various places and professions and across the political spectrum, I’ve found that most voters here hope for a Representative who serves as an independent voice and shares their experiences and values. My campaign has not taken money from large corporate donors and largely relies on small individual donations for funding. I’m not beholden to the powerful interest groups that hold undue influence in our government. My family has deep roots in New Hampshire, and I’ve lived here for almost all my life. While I’ve been fortunate enough to live relatively comfortably today, in my younger years, my family was no stranger to some of the kitchen table issues that still affect many of us today.

Tom Griffith: Do you approve of Governor Lynch, do you think he’s done a good job?

Lauren Winters: Yes, I do approve of John Lynch’s performance as governor. He has proven to be a capable leader for our state who doesn’t get bogged down in trivial partisan squabbles. Governor Lynch’s many visits to the Alstead area to take an active role in helping flood survivors recover and rebuild last fall show the sincerity of his mission to improve the well-being of our state. Our government in Washington would be less toxic and dysfunctional if it had more leaders like John Lynch.

Tom Griffith: Do you approve of President Bush, do you think he’s done a good job?

Lauren Winters: I disapprove of Bush’s performance as President because he’s left behind the American people. It’s become clear that he favors enriching the already wealthy under the guise of small government. His attempts to privatize Social Security and the No Child Left Behind Act show that he doesn’t have our interests in mind; cutting benefits for retirees and cutting funding for struggling public schools do not help anyone. The President has also enabled a culture of secrecy among his cabinet and advisers. The Scooter Libby scandal and the false pretense of ‘weapons of mass destruction’ are part of a larger pattern that illustrates the need for better oversight of the federal government.

Tom Griffith: What are your priorities in federal budgeting?

Lauren Winters: My biggest priorities in federal budgeting are infrastructure, healthcare, and education. They are the most important things for building strong communities: infrastructure to ensure local economies operate smoothly and safely, healthcare to protect the elderly and treat the sick, and education to train the next generation.

Tom Griffith: Will you support Nancy Pelosi for Speaker?

Lauren Winters: While I have not been shy about criticizing Democratic leadership on some issues, I would be inclined to support Nancy Pelosi for Speaker if Democrats retake the House this November. She has been a capable Minority Leader who has so far been able to unite a geographically and ideologically diverse caucus. It’s important to consider multiple perspectives when drafting major legislation, so we need to be unified as a party to ensure that we accomplish our top priorities.

Tom Griffith:  How would you like to see a withdrawal from Iraq play out?

Lauren Winters: I think we could feasibly start gradually withdrawing troops next spring and have all of the combat forces out of the country by the end of 2008. We should consider leaving a few non-combat troops behind to advise the Iraqi military as they rebuild their country.

Tom Griffith: What’s an example of a proposal from the House Democrats or party leaders you would have or will oppose?

Lauren Winters: There have been some disturbing trends of increased support for expanding the surveillance state and disregard for workers’ rights among some members of my party. A recent example of the latter are some of the proposals for guest worker programs such as in the defeated McCain-Kennedy immigration bill that do not provide adequate workplace protections for migrant workers and leave us more vulnerable to illegal immigrants driving down wages for workers in the farm industry.

Parsons Interview

Tom Griffith: Welcome Mr. Senator, happy you made it all safe and sound.

Jabez Parsons: Thank you Tom, good to see you.

Tom Griffith: Well, let's get started. How are you feeling about the general election?

Jabez Parsons: Very good, Tom. I believe that the people of the New Hampshire First want an independent voice in Congress, and I am proud to say I can offer them that voice. I will also get things done for this district, and I have a legislative record to back up my promises. I think the voters know we will face tough choices in the future, and I believe I am more than capable of keeping their trust and making those hard votes.

Tom Griffith: Alright then. What do you think New Hampshire is looking for in a Congressperson?

Jabez Parsons: New Hampshire has always valued independence, it’s that “live free or die” spirit that really permeates the state. I think the voters of New Hampshire want an independent voice in Congress, someone who will stand up for them, not for any party or President. That’s why I am running, to stand up for this district, and I think the voters of New Hampshire want someone who will do just that.

Tom Griffith: Do you approve of Governor Lynch, do you think he’s done a good job?

Jabez Parsons: I’ve been able to work with Governor Lynch on a lot of legislation in Concord, and I respect him. We don’t agree on much, but I think Governor Lynch is an intelligent, well-intentioned, and open-minded leader who has been more willing than many Democrats in this state and across the country to work with Republicans to get things done for the people of this state. I think we need more of that attitude, and I hope to be able to bring the same spirit of cooperation between ideological opposites that we have in Concord.

Tom Griffith: Do you approve of President Bush, do you think he’s done a good job?

Jabez Parsons: Well, I respect President Bush, I voted for him in 2004, and I think he is a true believer in his message. I think he has done a lot to protect this nation from terrorism, and I think he has been willing to really fight for what he believes in. Of course, he’s made mistakes, but every President does. I believe President Bush is a man of character, with a positive vision for this country, and though I don’t agree with him on everything, I think he has done a lot of good for the nation.

Tom Griffith: How would you work to balance the federal budget?

Jabez Parsons: Well, I would fight pork-barrel spending tooth and nail, for starters. I think we also need to get a real handle on procurement costs, which are frankly too high. I would go through line by line and fight waste wherever it can be found, and I will work across the aisle to get it done. I plan on releasing reports every year I am in Congress, working with my staff and like-minded colleagues to identify wasteful spending, and I will personally revive Senator Proxmire’s Golden Fleece Award. We need to get a grip on waste in Washington, that’s the bottom line.

Tom Griffith: Will you support Dennis Hastert for Speaker?

Jabez Parsons: I’ve met Speaker Hastert, and he is a competent legislative leader, but I  can see a case for new leadership. I couldn’t really comment until I knew who was running, and I won’t pledge my vote to anyone for Speaker at this time.

Tom Griffith: Hundreds of casualties, billions of dollars, and three years later, why are we still in Iraq?

Jabez Parsons: We are in Iraq because, whether or not you supported the war, it is now a reality. To up and leave, as simple as that seems, would only invite even further calamity later on down the road. I have a lot of friends who opposed the war, or said it was misguided, people I deeply respect and I disagreed with, but now we are all on the same page; we have to see this through. A destabilized Iraq would be a haven for terrorists, a pawn in Iran’s pocket, and within a decade we would likely find ourselves once again threatened by the prospect of an aggressive Iraq. We could go ten rounds on “should we have gone in?” but that’s not the question Tom. The question is “how do we deal with it now that we are in it?” and I think the only answer is to see this through, build up the capacity of the Iraqi government, and build a free society out of the ruins of war.

Tom Griffith: You've said repeatedly you are a maverick, someone who won't vote the party line. What's an example of a proposal from the House GOP or President Bush you would have or will oppose?

Jabez Parsons: Off the top of my head; No Child Left Behind, the PATRIOT act, and the upper-income range of the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts. I think we need to get our deficit under control and I think I might butt heads with my party over the specifics of that, certainly I know some will take issue with my opposition to wasteful pork-barrel spending and earmarks. I’m a proud Republican, but that’s not why I am running for Congress. Ultimately, Tom, I’m running to represent the people of this district, not my party, and I know the voters will hold me to that.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2021, 01:58:43 PM »

Welcome to the first and only general election debate East of the Merrimack. Debates in the GE will be important in differentiating the candidates, forcing you to take tough positions, and encouraging rhetorical combat. Debates will be judged on the cohesiveness of your answers (not, cohesiveness is not grammar, people don't always speak in good grammar), and rhetorical skill. There will also be a randomized element for scoring. There will be an opening statement, four general questions, and a personalized question. You are also invited to post another written statement, rebutting the views of others or attacking other candidates. Naturally there will also be a closing statement. Answers should be of reasonable lengths. Not four sentences, and also not two paragraphs.

University of New Hampshire PBS Debate

Russel Morgan: Welcome to the PBS Congressional Debate here at the Palace Theatre in Manchester. I'm Russel Morgan of the New Hampshire PBS, I'm joined by Wesley Jones of the Union Leader, and Ray Brewer of WMUR. Today we're moderating the first and only debate for the first congressional district of New Hampshire. Let's begin.

1. An Opening Statement

2. What is the biggest national security threat to America today?

3. How serious is the threat of a nuclear Iran?

4. Generally speaking, is government the problem or the solution?

5. Do you believe the American economy is sound?

Personalized Questions:

To Jabez Parsons: In a recent interview, you came out against the PATRIOT Act, supported by most Republicans. Care to elaborate on your position?
To Lauren Winters: Why do you support single payer healthcare?

6. Rebuttal Period

7. Closing Statement

Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies