East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:39:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 11762 times)
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: December 30, 2020, 12:27:46 PM »

David O’Connor for Congress

The Early Days: December 2004-May 2005

With the defeat of Senator Kerry. David O’Connor a longtime Democratic fundraiser, and political operative needed a change. Having known Ted Kennedy since his childhood, and Senator Kerry since their time together at Yale. Though his relationship with Kennedy has not been the same since O’Connors support of President Carter in 1980. Even now though, O’Connor would make inquiries with both Senators over their possible support for a Congressional run in 2006. Reasoning that the Democrats needed a strong candidate if they wished to take back control of the district which had been solidly Republican leaning for decades.

While running for Congress was surely a step up in the political life of David, he had been in a high profile role for quite a long time. The first actions he did following his private decision to run was move his official residence to New Hampshire and meet with some of the New Hampshire political operatives he had met over the years. The most prominent of these would be Former Governor Jeanne Shaheen, he had met Jeanne during President Carter’s battle for renomination in 1980 when she served as the Presidents state director. They had kept in touch and David had been one of her early supporters in her runs for the Governors mansion and later her run for US Senate in 2002. O’Connor was one of the keys to getting Shaheen to sign on with the Kerry campaign in 2003. The two have maintained a close relationship since then.

With the important meetings with Senators Kerry and Kennedy out of the way, David would now move to meeting with important New Hampshire politicos and local community leaders. From his home in Dover he would invite numerous New Hampshire elected officials to visit and discuss the status of the party in the state. There he would discuss the possibility of Democrats regaining the House in 2006 for the first time in over a decade. He would also inquire over any possible names they had heard of that could be contesting the 1st district. This is primarily done with those David already has a relationship with, while spending most of his time in Massachusetts David still had numerous connections among New Hampshire politics having served as a prominent fundraiser for Democrats across New England.

In the early spring David would visit the University of New Hampshire at Manchester where he would tour the campus and make a $50,000 donation. He would also begin interviewing a potential staff for his run for Congress. If Senators Kerry and Kennedy granted him access to their previous infrastructure in the Granite state then he would use those to build his campaign staff, he would also attempt to hire Bill Shaheen the husband of Former Governor Jeanne Shaheen and a prominent operative in New Hampshire. In early May he would form an exploratory committee allowing for him to form a campaign committee, he would spend the entire month of March fundraising from his extensive list of contacts and hoping to reach an impressive $250,000 in the first month to attempt to scare other Democrats out of the race. He would also self fund $250,000 of his own money to ensure that he was the most well funded candidate in the Democratic field.

The final major action would be setting up an online team, while it wouldn’t be entirely efficient and David thought it wouldn’t make a difference. There were those on the staff who were veterans of the Dean campaign in 2004. He would post on the campaigns MySpace account weekly and he would also post Q&As on this online platform. This social media would be an attempt to bring in a younger audience to the fold. The online Q&As would focus primarily on issues important to young people such as the war in Iraq. They would also begin spending a limited amount on radio and newspaper ads to build name recognition they would also establish his support for Social Security and Medicare.

Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 09:21:14 PM »

David O'Connor Schedule - June 2005

June 1: Officially file the papers to run for Congress in Dover
June 2: First campaign speech in Dover near the O'Connor home
June 4: Meet with officials from the State AFL-CIO and leaders in the State House and State Senate.
June 7: Meet with representatives from the Communication Workers of America and promise to revitalize the technology sector in New Hampshire.
June 9: Announce opposition to CAFTA in Portsmouth at a meeting with UNITE HERE workers
I am here today to tell you that I am opposing the Central American Free Trade Agreement. I think that this CAFTA agreement unfairly puts a burden on textile workers here in New Hampshire and I believe that we need more protection and a bigger say for the workers that would be displaced by this legislation. I am not against trade that is good for the workers and people of New Hampshire, but I will oppose legislation that will kill jobs in New Hampshire. I think that with changes this legislation could be acceptable, but I will oppose it until it protects New Hampshire textile and needle trade workers.
June 10: Meet and Greet at a senior home in Manchester
June 12: townhall Q&A at a VFW hall in Portsmouth
June 13: Meet with the editorial board of the Manchester Union Leader (Pursue Endorsement)
June 15: Boston fundraiser with allies throughout New England
June 16: Meet with Senator Kerry in Boston, request public support.
June 18: Fly to Washington and meet with Senators Bradley and Gregg, stressing bipartisanship.
June 20: Begin purchasing print space and recording for newspaper and radio ads in papers and radio stations throughout the state.
June 21: Meet with senior campaign staff and discuss campaign strategy
June 23: Launch an internet campaign to register new volunteers and garner small dollar donations
June 24: Open the campaign's first major office in Dover, a similar opening in Rochester later in the day.

Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 03:36:56 PM »

David O'ConnorSchedule - June 2005

July 1: Meet with the leadership of the Sierra Club and the League of Conservation Voters in Dover. (Pursue Endorsement)
July 2: Announce opposition to the war in Iraq, in a lunch with reporters in Manchester.
July 3: March with anti war demostraters at the University of New Hampshire-Manchester
July 4: Serve as Grand Marshal of the Dover city 4th of July parade.
July 7: Meet with Campaign Chairman Bill Shaheen and discuss a potential early media campaign to boost name recognition.
July 9: Meeting with the state AFL-CIO, announce support of a $7.25/hour minimum wage nationwide.
July 10: Meet with Senator Kennedy and continue courting his endorsement.
July 11: Meet with top Kerry staffers in the state and court their support.
July 13-30: Begin a listening tour in Dover, spend the rest of July on a tour of New Hamsphire municipalities focusing on small group setting and targetting traditionally Republican groups.

Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 09:40:17 PM »

David O'Connor Debate Answers

An Opening Statement

Hello, I would like to begin tonight by thanking PBS, and everyone that made this debate possible including our moderator and my fellow candidates for the Democratic nomination. Tonight, we are a nation at a crossroads. For the last 5 years, we have had an administration that has shown a carelessness attitude towards the environment, climate change, and the problems these are causing everyday Americans. New Hampshire is an epicenter of this climate crisis, but America at a whole is at risk of a climate catastrophy. Just a few short weeks ago disaster struck New Orleans, one of America's crown jewels was struck by a hurricane of immense strength. The response by the Bush administration has been described by some in the media as callous, but I have a different description. Criminal. I am not here tonight to battle my fellow candidates over the few issues we disagree on. I am here to host a discussion about the failures in Washington. The dangerous leadership of the Bush administration is putting at risk, not only the future of our nation, but the future of our children and grandchildren. That is why, when I am elected to Congress I promise to take climate change seriously, because we all know that the Bush/Cheney administration surely isn't, otherwise over 1,000 innocent people would still have their lives. Even to this day, the Bush/Cheney administration is pioneering wars for oil across the globe, sending brave young men and women to die in a war that we are just now beginning to understand the goal. That goal is to continue the dependance of the American people on oil, I want to see an America where we fight not for oil in a foreign land, but for the future of our children. This is not an election about who will represent you for the next 2 years, but if your children will have clean air to breath in 20 years.

How would you reform the American healthcare system?

On day 1 of my term as the next Representative for New Hampshire's first, I will be proposing a new healthcare law. It will establish a public option system in the United States. This is a system that is used across Europe. It is supported by my good friend Robert Reich and it will bring healthcare to a vast majority of Americans, by offering a chance to bring collective bargaining into healthcare. I will consult organized labor in their consultation on my plans for health care and I will promise to hold numerous town hall meetings across our district to understand the need for an expansion of healthcare. I remember when President Johnson signed into law Medicaid and Medicare because those were some of the brightest days in American history, we need to ensure that all Americans have access to healthcare because it is a basic human right.

What is the biggest issue facing Granite staters today?

Today? I would say it is infrastructure. In Congress, I am going to fight to get the extra infrastructure funding we need from the United States Congress. I think that New Hampshire tax dollars should help bring good hard-working people from New Hampshire good jobs. If we wish to continue being the high tech corridor of New England we're going to have to modernize our infrastructure into the 21st century. I would also like to add onto this by saying that one of my main priorities is protecting the jobs we have currently in New Hampshire, many community leaders of New Hampshire have seen this and agree. That is why I am endorsed by the IBEW local 104. In Congress, I am going to work to continue to entrench and widen New Hampshires place as the standardbearer of the high tech corridor of the northeast and New England. On my first day in office, I will be proposing an aggressive and wide acting green energy policy that will redouble the efforts to end America's domination by fossil fuels. I am a consensus builder and compromiser, but one issue I am unwilling to compromise on is the future of our children, and the future of our planet.

You moved to New Hampshire only around two years ago. Why should New Hampshire voters trust you to represent them?

While, I may not be a born and bred New Hampshirite, I am an American. When George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin set about shaping and forming our nation, they did not picture as 13 seperate states, they pictured it as one unified nation, with liberty and justice for all. I do not think it should be an issue where I was born, I think this is something created by the media to facilitate controversy and attempt to bring in headlines. I think that we need to focus on the issues in this debate and during this campaign, we need to focus not just who will be representing this district in Congress, but the repercussions of this monumental election. Because the effects of this election will not be felt just for the next 2 years, but for the next 20. I think we need to send a representative to congress who wants to end the war in Iraq, take climate change seriously, protect and expand healthcare for the people of New Hampshire, and protect and bring new jobs to New Hampshire.

Closing Statement

I am someone who has been in American politics since the campaign of Jimmy Carter in 1976. That is when I first met my good friends Bill and Jeanne Shaheen who chaired the Carter campaign here. Today, 30 years later, Bill is chairing my campaign for Congress, and Jeanne is known as one of the best Democrats in the state for her successful time as Governor. If you honor me with the Democratic nomination in the fall of 2006, I want you to know that I am a Democrat in the style of John Kerry, Jeanne Shaheen, and Ted Kennedy. I am going to fight from my first day in Congress for things that help the residents of New Hampshire and the people of the United States of America. I think we are some of the luckiest people in the world, for the right to choose our representatives to Congress so that they may share our voice in a government that is run, by the people and for the people, because We are the people.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 11:04:38 PM »

David O'Connor for Congress
January and Feburuary Schedules

Manchester Union Leader

January

January 1-3: Celebrate New Years' with Bill and Jeanne Shaheen along with the O'Connors family at their home in Dover. Senator Kerry, and Former Representative Norman D'Amours in attendance as well.

January 4: Senator Kerry announces his endorsement of O'Connor at a rally in Portsmouth.

Hello! 2 years ago, David O'Connor was here in Portsmouth with me when we won the New Hampshire primary. I've known David for over 20 years, and he has stuck by my side every step of the way. David doesn't give up when the going gets tough, he's a fighter. When many wrote off my campaign 2 years ago, because of flailing poll numbers in Iowa and New Hampshire, David doubled down putting his reputation on the line to get much-needed cash so that we were able to win not just in Iowa and New Hampshire, but the entire Democratic primary. He has stuck up for our union workers and has been one of the loudest and proudest voices of protecting employees' rights to collectively bargain with their employers. That is why I am proud to endorse David today because we need someone in Washington who will help fight for the common people and not the business interests.

January 5: Accept the endorsement of former Representative Norman D'Amours in Manchester.

January 6: Roundtable with Union and Business leaders in Dover focus on reconciliation and support for further collective bargaining.

January 8: Meet and greet with Seniors at an assited living facility in Manchester, call for a patients bill of rights.

January 9: Meet with representatives of medical workers and healthcare providers.

January 12: Attend a strategy meeting with Bill Shaheen discussing the roll out of advertising in key areas of the state.

January 15: Announce a Workers Bill of Rights, outlining the right to a living wage, the right to collectively bargain, among others.

January 16: Announce the endorsement of  Local 131 of theUnited Association Plumbers and Steamfitters.

January 19: Speak to Union workers at a meeting of the New Hampshire IBEW.

January 21: Begin a Barnstorm of Belknap county in a campaign RV targetting possible Millenberg supporters

January 23: Meet and Greet outside the Laconia Walmart Super Center

Hello folks, I'm Dave O'Connor and I'm running to be your next Congressman. I understand that Mr.Millenberg is the county treauser here, and I respect him. Though we don't agree on all the issues, he has stated on the campaign trail that he would like to begin means testing Social Security, and I'm going to be frank and say that's a ludicrious proposal. As a Democrat, I think we should be protecting our senior citizens, and one of the rights I believe every American has the right to a dingified retirement and when I'm in Congress I won't let Social Security be gutted by President Bush and Kyle Millenberg.

January 24: Meet and Greet with Norman D'Amours in New Hampton at the local courthouse, speak on support for Medicare and Medicaid.

January 25: Continue tour of Belknap speak in Gilford on the importance of agriculture for the advancement of New Hampshire and the nation.

January 26: Speak in Tilton in opposition to CAFTA, and support for a higher minimum wage in New Hampshire across the nation.

January 27: Meet with volunteers in Meredith at a luncheon before a townhall at Interlakes High School

Voter: I voted for Senator Kerry and Congressman Jeb Bradley, why should I vote for you?

O'Connor: Well Sir, the reason you should vote for me in November is because I am going to be a check on President Bush. I understand you voted for Senator Kerry, because you thought he was either better than President Bush or you thought President Bush had failed our nation. I agree with you, and I voted for Senator Kerry as well. (pause) The reason I voted for Senator Kerry is because I have known him for many years and I truly believe he would be a great President. I am going to represent you by being a safe, moderate, and honest Congressman, who is going to oppose the war in Iraq, support Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security.

January 29: Meet and greet in Gilmantion focusing on Social Security and Mr.Millenberg's support of means testing

January 30: End the Belknap county tour with a speech in Belmont.

Feburary 2: Meet with leaders of the IBEW in Concord

Feburary 3: Meet with Senators Lou D'Allesandro and Maggie Hassen courting their endorsements in Concord

Feburary 4: Meet with national Democratic notables in Boston, highlighting connections with the national Democratic party.

Feburary 5: Meet with minority leader Nancy Pelosi in Washington.

Feburary 6: Meet with Rahm Emmanuel in Washington and discuss potential DCCC backing for the O'Connor campaign.

Feburary 9: Return to New Hampshire

Feburary 10: Meet with local Democratic leaders in Dover.

Feburary 11: Begin airing the first ads of the campaign

Feburary 12: Meet with the editorial board of the Manchester Union Leader

Feburary 13: Speak to a group of SEIU workers in Londonderry on the minimum wage increase

Feburary 15: Announce support of a further investigation into AIG, call for regulation on the insurnace industry.

Feburary 16-21: Recover from the flu at home

Feburary 22: Rally with Senator Kerry in Dover

Feburary 24: Meet with Senators Chris Dodd and Joe Lieberman in Connecticut to discuss an endorsement

Feburary 25: Meet with Planned Parenthood and other women's organizations in Concord

Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 09:49:56 PM »

David O'Connor for Congress
Campaign Schedule

Candidate Schedule

General Overview
With less than 2 weeks until the primary, O'Connor will reach into the campaign and his personal coffers. He will issue major media buys for the New Hampshire media market from Boston. These ads will focus on popular issues among the Democratic primary electorate and paint O'Connor as the candidate best prepared to win in November and to vote against President Bush's agenda. The ads will also advocate for the expansion of healthcare to more New Hampshireites, there will also be an appeal to Independents who disapprove of President Bush as the best candidate who will be able to repudiate his policies. There will be a push for an 11th-hour endorsement from Former Governor Jeanne Shaheen, and her husband Bill Shaheen will appear in campaign mailers, along with Senators Kerry, Dodd, and Kennedy. While there is a significant push among organized labor to get into contact with as many voters as possible before election day, there will door to door efforts in the more urban areas of Derry and Manchester by SEIU Local 1984, and the State Employees Association of New Hampshire. There will be efforts by other portions of Organized Labor to contact their members and to get voters to the polls in an effort to bring the election to O'Connor's side.
September 1

O'Connor plans for 3 events a day for the remainder of the campaign he begins with a meet and greets at a Retirement Center, where he reiterates the support of his campaign, then over lunch, he meets with various members of his campaign team to discuss the get out the vote strategy and phone banking potential for their organization. Following Lunch, O'Connor holds a rally with Former State Senator Lou D'Alessandro, Former Rep. Norman D'Amours, and other prominent endorsers of the campaign. At a nighttime rally he will appear with Senator Dodd and Senator Kerry in a large rally for supporters in Dover, during the night he will travel to Manchester where he will prepare for a huge rally with Kerry and Kennedy in the morning.

September 2

O'Connor will appear in Manchester where he will speak to a crowd in the Manchester Central High School gymnasium, before holding a town hall in the afternoon with citizens of Manchester and Former Manchester Mayor Robert A. Baines. In the evening he will hold the most expansive rally of his campaign, with Senators Kennedy and Kerry along with D'Amours, D'Allesandro, and Baines he will work to bring out as many supporters as he can especially among the working class as he attempts to target the electorate his opponents do as well.

September 3
O'Connor intends to appear the University of New Hampshire to appeal to the anti-war crowd of students as he points towards his opposition to the Iraq war from the beginning and his concern for the environment. Along with his plan to enact student debt reform and support the growing technology jobs in New Hampshire. He will also hold a night rally with Union leaders, specifically those state employees where he will meet with the University Staff and convince them to support his campaign.

September 4
He will begin the day barnstorming in Rochester. Before speaking to people in a more rural area at a local Walmart Super Center, where he will be accompinied with local leaders who are supporters of the campaign and Senator John Kerry. Later in the day he will rally in Durham and Derry where he will appear with Senators Kerry, Dodd, and Kennedy.
September 5
He will begin the day with door knocking in Portsmouth, before holding an afternoon rally with Union Leadership and Senator Kerry on the docks of Portsmouth attempting to get the support of blue collar workers in the area with his opposition to CAFTA, his support from many local union leaders and his proposal raising the minimum to a higher point by 2010. In the evening he will continue with a large rally in Portsmouth with his top surrogates this is where he will officially announce the endorsement of Senator Kennedy.

September 6

Meet with Former Governor Jeanne Shaheen and attempt to get an endorsement in the 11th hour to secure the support of key demographics in New Hampshire's 1st. Speak at a church in Manchester to convince members of the congregation to turnout during the primary in a weeks time. He will then meet with prominent members of the city and attempt to gain their support during the waning days of the campaign.
September 7

Rally in Dover with Kennedy and Kerry

September 8

Rally in Manchester with Mayor Baines and Norman D'Amours
September 9

September 10

GOTV begins with Union leaders in Dover, Manchester, Portsmouth, and other major points across the district

September 12

Last major rally with major endorsers.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies