East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:58:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 11728 times)
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2021, 09:40:17 PM »

David O'Connor Debate Answers

An Opening Statement

Hello, I would like to begin tonight by thanking PBS, and everyone that made this debate possible including our moderator and my fellow candidates for the Democratic nomination. Tonight, we are a nation at a crossroads. For the last 5 years, we have had an administration that has shown a carelessness attitude towards the environment, climate change, and the problems these are causing everyday Americans. New Hampshire is an epicenter of this climate crisis, but America at a whole is at risk of a climate catastrophy. Just a few short weeks ago disaster struck New Orleans, one of America's crown jewels was struck by a hurricane of immense strength. The response by the Bush administration has been described by some in the media as callous, but I have a different description. Criminal. I am not here tonight to battle my fellow candidates over the few issues we disagree on. I am here to host a discussion about the failures in Washington. The dangerous leadership of the Bush administration is putting at risk, not only the future of our nation, but the future of our children and grandchildren. That is why, when I am elected to Congress I promise to take climate change seriously, because we all know that the Bush/Cheney administration surely isn't, otherwise over 1,000 innocent people would still have their lives. Even to this day, the Bush/Cheney administration is pioneering wars for oil across the globe, sending brave young men and women to die in a war that we are just now beginning to understand the goal. That goal is to continue the dependance of the American people on oil, I want to see an America where we fight not for oil in a foreign land, but for the future of our children. This is not an election about who will represent you for the next 2 years, but if your children will have clean air to breath in 20 years.

How would you reform the American healthcare system?

On day 1 of my term as the next Representative for New Hampshire's first, I will be proposing a new healthcare law. It will establish a public option system in the United States. This is a system that is used across Europe. It is supported by my good friend Robert Reich and it will bring healthcare to a vast majority of Americans, by offering a chance to bring collective bargaining into healthcare. I will consult organized labor in their consultation on my plans for health care and I will promise to hold numerous town hall meetings across our district to understand the need for an expansion of healthcare. I remember when President Johnson signed into law Medicaid and Medicare because those were some of the brightest days in American history, we need to ensure that all Americans have access to healthcare because it is a basic human right.

What is the biggest issue facing Granite staters today?

Today? I would say it is infrastructure. In Congress, I am going to fight to get the extra infrastructure funding we need from the United States Congress. I think that New Hampshire tax dollars should help bring good hard-working people from New Hampshire good jobs. If we wish to continue being the high tech corridor of New England we're going to have to modernize our infrastructure into the 21st century. I would also like to add onto this by saying that one of my main priorities is protecting the jobs we have currently in New Hampshire, many community leaders of New Hampshire have seen this and agree. That is why I am endorsed by the IBEW local 104. In Congress, I am going to work to continue to entrench and widen New Hampshires place as the standardbearer of the high tech corridor of the northeast and New England. On my first day in office, I will be proposing an aggressive and wide acting green energy policy that will redouble the efforts to end America's domination by fossil fuels. I am a consensus builder and compromiser, but one issue I am unwilling to compromise on is the future of our children, and the future of our planet.

You moved to New Hampshire only around two years ago. Why should New Hampshire voters trust you to represent them?

While, I may not be a born and bred New Hampshirite, I am an American. When George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin set about shaping and forming our nation, they did not picture as 13 seperate states, they pictured it as one unified nation, with liberty and justice for all. I do not think it should be an issue where I was born, I think this is something created by the media to facilitate controversy and attempt to bring in headlines. I think that we need to focus on the issues in this debate and during this campaign, we need to focus not just who will be representing this district in Congress, but the repercussions of this monumental election. Because the effects of this election will not be felt just for the next 2 years, but for the next 20. I think we need to send a representative to congress who wants to end the war in Iraq, take climate change seriously, protect and expand healthcare for the people of New Hampshire, and protect and bring new jobs to New Hampshire.

Closing Statement

I am someone who has been in American politics since the campaign of Jimmy Carter in 1976. That is when I first met my good friends Bill and Jeanne Shaheen who chaired the Carter campaign here. Today, 30 years later, Bill is chairing my campaign for Congress, and Jeanne is known as one of the best Democrats in the state for her successful time as Governor. If you honor me with the Democratic nomination in the fall of 2006, I want you to know that I am a Democrat in the style of John Kerry, Jeanne Shaheen, and Ted Kennedy. I am going to fight from my first day in Congress for things that help the residents of New Hampshire and the people of the United States of America. I think we are some of the luckiest people in the world, for the right to choose our representatives to Congress so that they may share our voice in a government that is run, by the people and for the people, because We are the people.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2021, 03:26:26 PM »

Lauren Winters Debate Answers

Opening Statement

Good evening. I would like to start by thanking WENH and my fellow candidates for making this debate possible. I’m standing on this stage tonight because I have a vision. A vision of a country where everyone has access to a stable job, sound infrastructure, clean air and water, quality education, and affordable healthcare. A vision of a country that doesn’t send its people overseas to fight the battles of others. A vision of a country that truly realizes the promise of the American dream. But the country we currently live in struggles with low wages, crumbling infrastructure, polluted waterways, underfunded education, skyrocketing premiums, and a never-ending war. As the daughter of a family of textile and manufacturing workers, I am no stranger to these issues. During my formative years, my uncle died in the line of duty, and my father lost his job during a recession. As the leader of the town council here in Durham, I have done my part to address some of these issues by crafting policies to improve infrastructure, protect the environment, and guarantee strong, functional schools. I hope to bring my perspective as an average American and small-town mayor to Washington and stop the inaction there.

I’ve talked to people across our state, and it’s clear that the current healthcare system is broken. Under the current system, health insurers are free to deny coverage to people with pre-existing conditions. Premiums have increased much faster than wages in the past ten years. Americans spend more money on healthcare than people in any other first-world country. The time for action is now. As Democrats, we need to go to back to owning our legacy as the creators of the New Deal and the Great Society. It’s far past time we had a public option for healthcare in this country. For starters, we need to stand up to big pharma to cut prescription drug costs. We need to pass legislation making it illegal for insurance providers to deny coverage based on pre-existing conditions. And most important of all, we should finish the work started under Lyndon Johnson by making Medicare an option for all Americans dissatisfied with their current insurance plan.

What is the biggest issue facing Granite staters today?

In addition to healthcare, the biggest issue here at home is the crumbling infrastructure. The massive flooding this month caused by a dam breaking in Alstead should be make it clear that there are serious consequences for bureaucratic negligence of our roads, bridges, and dams. My first action in Congress would be to co-sponsor a national infrastructure bill. Targeted investment in infrastructure would both boost our local economies and prevent tragedies like the devastating flooding across southwest New Hampshire. I believe that even in these polarized times we will be able to find common ground with our colleagues across the aisle on a large-scale federal infrastructure bill. The passage of such a bill would start to revitalize many corners of our state and our country that have been left behind by the Bush economy.

You've gotten attention from environmental groups for coming out against drilling in the ANWR. What should be America's energy independence strategy if not new drilling in Alaska? How would you fight for lower fuel costs for Granite staters?

I stand by my promise to oppose drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge. The amount of oil and natural gas produced by drilling there would be limited compared to the amount of money invested and the widespread environmental damage it would cause. My thoughts and prayers go out to the communities devastated by Hurricane Katrina, a sobering reminder of the deadly costs of our current energy policies. We will continue drilling for oil only in areas already open for drilling. In addition, we need to modernize our economy by transitioning from coal and oil to natural gas to decrease the amount of carbon emissions into the atmosphere. The domestic production of natural gas will also help maintain energy independence and lower fuel costs nationwide. At the same time, we should invest more federal funds into developing wind, solar, and nuclear power to ultimately both minimize carbon emissions and end U.S. dependence on foreign oil.

Rebuttal Period, To David O'Connor

I do not doubt that Mr. O’Connor means well in his support for green energy and opposition to the war in Iraq. But do we really want him to represent us in Congress? He is part of the Washington establishment that has failed us for decades. He has spent much of his time at big donor fundraisers while I’ve been out talking and listening face-to-face with viewers like you. While Mr. O’Connor was profiting off corporate tax cuts at a Boston bank, I was working two jobs while in undergrad at UNH to help support my family in the early 1980s recession. I would also like to remind you that while I have consistently opposed military intervention my entire career, Mr. O’Connor says he will be a congressman like Senator Kerry, who, while being someone I deeply respect as a veteran and public servant, made a serious mistake in voting to authorize military force in Iraq. One of my personal political heroes is the late Senator Paul Wellstone, who was never afraid to vote his conscience even at the cost of political expediency. His entire career was spent tirelessly fighting for those left behind by the system. Weeks before an election, he bravely took a stand and voted against intervening in Iraq despite political pressure to support it. So ask yourselves this: would you prefer a career politician who would serve as just another foot soldier for the party leadership or would you prefer an independent voice with sincere convictions willing to stand up for her family, friends, and neighbors here in New Hampshire.

Closing Statement

I offer my thanks again to WENH, my fellow candidates, the moderators, and our viewers. I hope to serve as an independent voice for the Granite state not beholden to the special interests that have plagued both parties in recent decades. I hope to bring our party back to its roots as the party that listens, the party that understands, the party unafraid to think big in times of crisis. But most of all I hope to continue looking out for the people of my community as I have in my years in Durham’s town hall. Thanks again, and good luck to all of you viewers on making your choice.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2021, 06:53:50 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2021, 06:24:58 PM by Alcibiades »

Bill Fiske - Democrat for Congress
A voice for your community in Washington
October-November 2005 Schedule

3 October: Town Hall in Rochester
7 October: Give a talk about the role of government and private enterprise working together to combat climate change.
10 October: Roundtable discussion about affordable healthcare solutions with doctors and patients: argue for a public options.
14 October: Canvass in Dover
16 October: Meet with the NEA-NH teachers’ union, and push for an endorsement, highlighting my championing of public education throughout my campaign.
19 October: Town Hall in Manchester
23 October: Fundraiser in Portsmouth
26 October: Statement on the Iraq War:
Today marks a tragic milestone in the Iraq War. 2000 lives lost, each of them a person who leaves behind a gaping hole in their family. One death more is unacceptable, and we must get our brave men and women home as soon as possible, and instead let the people of Iraq forge their own path.
28 October:
Reporter: Bill, have you heard that Scooter Libby’s just resigned?
No, I hadn’t, but it’s about time. This whole episode has been disgraceful, especially coming from a man who no doubt claims to support those who serve our country, and it’s shameful that Vice President Cheney is still standing by him.
31 October: Hand out sweets to trick-or-treaters in Conway.

2 November: Talk to fishermen in Rye
6 November: Attend a League of Conservation Voters dinner.
8 November: Fundraiser in Dover
12 November: Canvass in Ossipee
14 November: Discussion in Manchester about revitalising postindustrial towns and cities
Manchester has led the nation in transitioning from an old mill town to a thriving 21st century city. But I know many small towns in New Hampshire are still hurting from the decline of traditional industries, and politicians in Washington DC are all to quick to write of such places as beyond help. However, I hear the hopes and dreams of the residents of these towns, and I say I will not forget you. There is no simple solution, but we can do a lot more to help: give support to small businesses, expand educational opportunities, revitalise downtowns and incentivise companies to move jobs there.
17 November: Town Hall in Exeter
20 November: Canvass in Jackson
24 November: Thanksgiving with my family in Conway
28 November: Speak to small business owners in Dover

Kuumo

P P
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2021, 05:35:29 PM »

Lauren Winters for Congress
November 2005 - December 2005

November 4th: Barnstorm Wakefield, Wolfeboro, and Tuftonboro.

Quote from: Winters Campaign Press Release, November 4th, 2005
It is unfortunate that Rep. Sanders's amendment to prevent searches of library and bookstore records with Justice Department funds under the USA PATRIOT Act was cut from the final SSJC appropriations bill passed today. Lauren Winters strongly supports the repeal of such government surveillance policies that violate the individual liberties our country was founded to protect.

November 5th: Barnstorm Ossipee, Effingham, Freedom, Madison, Tamworth, and Sandwich.
November 6th: Attend a League of Conservation Voters dinner.
November 11th: Preside over annual Veteran's Day parade in Durham.
November 12th: Town hall and meet and greet in Conway.
November 13th: Barnstorm Conway, Bartlett, and Hart's Location.
November 24th-27th: Thanksgiving with family in Rochester.

December 1st: Meet with small business owners in Manchester.
December 2nd-3rd: Barnstorm Manchester, disseminate campaign flyers.
December 6th: Co-host League of Women Voters voter registration drive in Dover.
December 9th: Pledge to protect public lands in speech outside White Mountain National Forest.
December 10th-11th: Barnstorm Portsmouth, disseminate campaign flyers.
December 13th: Meet with State Senator Maggie Hassan in Exeter, discuss education, healthcare, and trade policy and possible endorsement.
December 16th-18th: Barnstorm Dover and Rochester, disseminate campaign flyers.
December 22nd-23rd: Volunteer at charity in Manchester wrapping presents for homeless children.
December 24th-26th: Christmas with family in Rochester.
December 27th-31st: Help organize New Year's Eve festivities in Durham.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2021, 05:41:25 PM »

Jabez Parsons- Debate Answers

Opening Statement:

Thank you Russel, and thank you to our hosts, the Chamber of Commerce, and to the Strand Dover for housing us. And of course, thank you to our audience. The challenges that face our nation today are numerous. We are forced to reckon with the scourge of international terrorism, with a difficult situation in Iraq, and a world filled with new and resurgent enemies. At home, we have an economy that continues to be in need of improvement, though it is much improved over what it was six years ago. We must also address the great challenges in our Congress, which while it is supposed to work for the American people, has become ever more distant from them. I, in my career in public service, have always fought to defend the interests of the voters, and I am asking for your vote so that I may work across the aisle to make Washington work for you. Thank you.

What is your view on the American presence in Iraq?

Iraq has been a feature of American foreign policy since Saddam Hussien, in an act of unwarranted aggression, invaded Kuwait. We should, before going any farther, agree that the world today is safer, more secure, and fundamentally freer than when Saddam Hussien was able to brutalize his people, threaten his neighbors, and terrorize the world with impunity. Of course past realities notwithstanding, we must now address the widespread violence that has sprung up in Iraq. Our concern now is not with invasion, that is done, but what happens now nearly three years hence. What are our next steps? We must create a viable strategy for defeating the insurgency, and I think that only by taking concrete steps to build up Iraqi security capacity will that be possible. In order to do that, you need to keep American troops and trainers in the country, but with a lower profile, to provided needed help while the Iraqi government builds up a multi-ethnic, homegrown security force to provide for the defense of what will, with time I think, become yet another proud member of that noble band of democracies.

What is the first bill you would introduced if elected?

I hope, within my first term, to introduce a bill to truly reform the American tax code, reducing rates while closing loopholes. This is not a partisan issue. We all know that our taxes are too complicated, and the tax system is to blame for that. Reforming our tax system, and simplifying the tax code, would go a long way to creating not only a simpler tax system but a fairer one. Not only that, but tax reform will increase revenue while decreases taxes, closing loopholes that are being exploited. This type of legislation is good for all, and I think it is something that Congress should be able to get behind with the right leadership on the issue.

You have spoken a lot about reducing the deficit, specifically by eliminating earmarks. But in 2005, total Earmark spending only made up approximately 8.5% of the budget deficit. Many conservative fiscal experts and Councillor Smith have said it will take comprehensive entitlement reform to balance the budget. Do you agree?

Well, I would start by saying that earmarks and or barrel spending is just part of the equation. Waste in government is sadly all too common. We need to look at entitlements, of course, no one here disputes that and I don't think very many Democrats would even dispute that our long term fiscal health will require a look at reforming entitlements. But we need to also look at cutting down on waste in Pentagon procurement, and wasteful misallocation of funding. There is a coast guard weather station in West Virginia, which is landlocked. The cost of building it was one thing, but the absurdity of spending taxpayer dollars, year after years, on the maintenance of a Coast Gaurd weather station in a landlocked state seems to me to be a clear indictment of the current system of earmarks, and so I do believe that reforming that system would go a long way to getting our fiscal house in order.

Closing Statement

Debates like these really are at the heart of our democratic process, and I am proud to stand before you today as a candidate for Congress. It is easy, in times like these, to find faith in our political system hard. But I am always reminded of the word of Henry David Thoreau, who wrote of the character of the New England town meeting, a number of which I have had the pleasure of presiding over. He wrote, "When, in some obscure country town, the farmers come together to a special town-meeting, to express their opinion on some subject which is vexing the land, that, I think, is the true Congress, and the most respectable one that is ever assembled in the United States.". I, for one, heartily agree. I am also reminded of Daniel Webster, who wrote of our beloved granite state that "Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men". We are a great state, and even in these often difficult times that old New Hampshire spirit which has always animated me will prevail. I am running to bring that spirit to Washington, and I ask for your help. Thank you.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2021, 05:53:12 PM »

Jabez Parsons for Congress
December Schedule

December 1st- Meeting with State Senators
December 2nd-5th- Law firm work
December 6th- Town hall in Hampton Falls
December 7th- Attend Pearl Harbor remembrance service in Portsmouth
December 8th- Dinner with State legislative leaders to discuss legislation
December 9th- Town hall in Lee
December 10th- Fundraiser in Durham
December 11th- Fundraiser in Bedford
December 12th- Town hall in Manchester
December 13th-15th- Law firm work
December 16th- Town hall in Bedford, phone call with Sen. Lugar
December 17th- Town hall in Freedom
December 18th-20th- Legislative meetings and Christmas shopping
December 21st- Fundraiser in Rochester
December 22nd- Town hall in Dover
December 23rd- Meet with State Senate leadership
December 24th- Christmas Eve service with family in Chester
December 25th-26th- Christmas with family in Chester
December 27th- Law firm work
December 28th- Fundraising dinner in Manchester
December 29th- Town hall in Deerfield
December 30th- Town hall in Hooksett
December 31st- New Years Eve party of locals in Chester
RGM2609
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2021, 07:09:41 PM »

Francis McGuinty debate answers -

Opening Statement -

Good evening, New Hampshire. For those of you who do not know me, my name is Francis McGuinty. I was born in the great city of Barrington, where I founded a successful small business, just like so many of you. For over 5 years now, I have been an activist for a smaller, more effective and less wasteful government, a government which fights for people like you instead of oppressing people like you. I have done so because I know what it is like for bureaucrats in Washington to ruin your hard work with dangerous regulations and useless interventions, and I do not want that to happen to anyone again. And I am running because Congress, a glorious institution and great symbol of democracy, is no longer representing the people. It has become out of touch, and through their careless decisions they are undermining America instead of helping it. I want to change that, and you can trust me that I will keep my promises, for I have always been one of you. I am not going there as another insider, I am going there as an outsider who will shake the rigged system up and fight to make the lives of my constituents better through every proposal I submit and vote I make.

2. Thank you for your great question. Look, I want to be a voice for my constituents, so on every major vote I will have to take on the war or any other important topic, I will first come back here to my district and act the people who I am supposed to represent how do they feel about it. That I can promise you. And while some of my opponents were busy dining in DC, I was on the trail listening to people. And I have to tell, I have heard folks who are very worried about our involvement and how the war is going. I believe therefore that it is time for a more compassionate approach to the conflict. We can not leave at once and leave behind a power vacuum which would be devastating to regional stability. What we can do is to help the Iraqi governmental forces to take over the defense of their country more and more. If we do that, we will no longer need to station so many troops in Iraq and we will be able to get some of our boys back home. With more long-term planning, I am confident that democracy and hope will prevail once again over fear and radicalism.

3. That is a great question. My first bill will be about reducing needless government spending through cutting both earmarks and pork barrel spending. I would do so by making any spending that fits the definition of pork by the terrific Citizens against Government Waste group illegal. What that basically means is that the government will not be able to toy around with our money any longer. They will have to follow certain rules like all of us do. My proposal would wipe out millions upon millions of dollars in waste by the DC establishment and will be a huge step towards ensuring that your tax dollars are being spent responsibly.

4. Look, what I want to do is this - I want to cut all waste in government spending. Every last dollar of it. Which is why I have to make the following thing clear - yes, I absolutely and wholeheartedly support eliminating earmarks, which have produced some of the most outrages examples of waste in spending. But this is not all I plan to accomplish. My bill would outlaw not only earmarks but every pork-barrel as defined by the CAGW, because there are a lot more ways in which our supposed representatives are misusing our hard worked money. By this point, they might as well shoot them into the sky and it would be basically the same thing. It is outrageous. And I also plan to fight for a balanced budget not only by holding the legislative branch accountable, but also the executive branch. Because the carelessness for public funds inside some of these agencies is outrageous, and as your Representative I will be in a position to stop them for good. There are hundreds of millions of clear waste examples and I intend to fight for every last penny to be protected.

Closing Statement -

Thank you for hosting this debate, it has been truly a terrific conversation. I would like to ask our viewers this - just how many times in the past decades has some well-known insider come to you, made you big promises that he will fight for you and be different, and then went to Washington or Concord and forgot it all, then came back when it was re-election time? Well, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. They are not different this time, they never are. They will go to DC, waste your money, dine all day with their friends, come back for re-election and so on and so on until they finally leave and become lobbyists. We can send yet another politician like this to Congress, or we can finally break that vicious cycle. And that is what my campaign is all about. I want, together with you, to make a difference, and start real change in this country. I am one of you, I am with you and I will fight for you. I do not come from a government office, but from the streets of NH from where I have been an activist for taxpayer interests. It is time for us to decide - do we want another future lobbyist to represent us, or do we want to send there an outsider who is not knee deep in the swamp and can fix its problems. Thank you, God Bless you, and good night.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2021, 12:45:28 AM »

Kyle Millenberg Debate Answers

Opening Statement:

Good evening, I want to thank WENH for hosting this debate and thank the moderators and my fellow candidates for being here. New Hampshire, it's time for a change. For the last six years we've seen George Bush and his cronies sell out the working people of this country at all costs. They passed a tax cut that gave all of the benefits to the top 1%. They've stripped away and expanded the surveillance state. They've passed free trade agreements that have shipped countless manufacturing jobs overseas. We've had enough! We've lost elections in 2002 and 2004 trying to pander by taking all of the same positions. It's time the Democratic wing of the Democratic party took back the reins. When I'm elected, I won't bow down to party pressure, I'll stand up to the cronies, Every. Single. Day. Thank you.

Q: How Would you reform the American Healthcare system?

We've seen years of progress of healthcare reform be stripped away over the last 6 years with bailouts for big pharma. The first thing we need to do is implement cost sharing programs. You offer free and subsidized healthcare for those living at a certain poverty level. We can pay for this by returning the top income tax bracket to the pre-Bush rate. We also need to require states to set up healthcare exchanges where consumers can view different plan options and select the best care for them. If we get this done as a start, we can move on to creating a public option provided by the government to keep the healthcare companies competitive and lower costs for all Americans. We can do this with a Democratic congress that listens to the people, not wealthy corporations and that is exactly what I intend to do.

Q: What is the biggest issue facing Granite staters today?

As I've spoken about in the past, I believe our crumbling infrastructure is the number one issue facing our state. We're a state that relies on commerce and travel but our roads are becoming unusable, our sidewalks unwalkable. Earlier this year in March, we saw what happened during the floods. Because of this weak infrastructure, over 1,000 people had to flee their homes and we saw seven people die. The federal government absolutely has to put an end to this mess to makes sure something like this never happens to our state again.

Q: To Kyle Millenberg: You worked to reform the Treasurer's office in Belknap county? What financial reforms would you implement nationally?

The main reform I've put in place was better assessment of the county's construction loans. My predecessor took a laissez-faire approach in this regard and we saw thousands upon thousands of taxpayer dollars being wasted on projects that were never completed. I was fed up with this failure and I took him on and won in a deep red county 7 years ago. I believe in this same concept of oversight on the federal level. That's why I believe in expanding scrutiny at the federal reserve to the loans it provides. I support protecting our consumers from predatory credit card companies. I have the fiscal record to get these things done in a smart and efficient way that works for main street.

Closing Statement:

New Hampshire, I'm in this race because I care about our community. For as long as I can remember, career politicians have sold out the working people of this country. They've taken away our jobs, our roads, our civil liberties and they've left us to clean up the mess. Our party has taken hit after hit in these elections. This shouldn't be happening, but it is. Our party has fallen out of touch with the everyday American. I'm not one of those politicians. I've been grateful to serve my local community in an effecient fashion. And look what's happened, this Republican county has re-elected me every single time. I know how to speak to voters who are feeling left out and cast aside by the political system. So please, if you want an end to the don-nothing congress in Washington, consider me for congress. Thank you.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2021, 08:49:44 AM »

Bill Fiske Debate Answers

Opening Statement
Good evening. I would also like to extend my thanks to WENH, PBS and the Union Leader for agreeing to host this debate tonight. 30 years ago, I moved to New Hampshire because I wanted a great place to raise a family, where the natural beauty is only matched by the warmth of the people. And I wasn’t disappointed. I was desperate to ensure that others could enjoy the same benefits our wonderful state has offered my family and me, so I have dedicated a large part of my career to local government service, from school board member to selectman to town manager. In Conway, we’ve strengthened public schools, delivered budget surpluses year on year which demonstrate that we shouldn’t have to choose between investment in our communities and fiscal responsibility, and have seen small businesses go from strength to strength. Now I want to bring these same results to bear as your representative for New Hampshire’s 1st Congressional District. Unfortunately our state’s Republican federal representation has been more interested in cozying up to the Bush’s administration’s failed ideological agenda. I will focus on common-sense solutions to the great issues of our time: education, healthcare, the budget and the environment, not culture war posturing or partisan grandstanding, and I recognise that the impact of all of policy is ultimately felt at the local level, and I will always put our communities first. Thank you.

I believe that every American should have access to healthcare. Period. Our Constitution guarantees the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, a guarantee which cannot be realised for many citizens until we can provide them with health insurance. That’s why I support a public option for health insurance. This will enable uninsured and less fortunate Americans to get affordable, quality healthcare courtesy of the government, regardless of pre-existing conditions, while you are completely free to keep your existing private insurance plan if it works for you. This is the kind of common-sense solution which makes government work for the people it is supposed to and has a real impact upon people’s lives, which I will fight for in Washington. And of course I will protect Medicare and Medicaid from ever being watered down.

What is the biggest issue facing Granite Staters today?
I have already mentioned the key issue of healthcare, and talking to voters in communities throughout our district, it is clear to me that another top priority is education. My children are products of New Hampshire public schools, and through my service on Conway’s school board, I have seen the vital role that public education plays in our communities’ lives and expanding opportunity. Unfortunately, it is all too often ignored. We need more funding, especially for less affluent school districts, and to recognise teachers for the work they do by giving them the pay they deserve. At the same time, we should bring back joy to the classroom by reducing teaching to the test. The other vital issue is our environment. Scientists are clear that if we do not start reducing our dependency on fossil fuels, global warming will pose a grave danger to the inhabitability of our planet. New Hampshire proves that the choice between protecting our environment and growing the economy is a false dichotomy; thousands of jobs in the Granite State rely upon tourists drawn by our natural beauty, which I have worked to protect in Conway, and the expansion of green energy will create thousands more.

Do you think that the Central American Free Trade Agreement will be good for New Hampshire jobs?
On balance, I do not, as I’ve made clear in my previous statements. I believe it will hurt our farmers by making exporting more difficult, as well as hurting blue-collar jobs, such as the those in the textiles industry and small manufacturing, by weakening labour standards. In addition, CAFTA has not been accompanied by any of the jobs retraining programmes one might usually expect with such a trade deal. Furthermore, human rights and environmental groups have expressed grave concerns about its impact on Central America. I am not opposed to free trade, but it has to first and foremost be fair trade, and unfortunately I think the concerns of big businesses won out over those of ordinary people with regards to CAFTA.

Rebuttal to Lauren Winters
You say that you support natural gas as a solution to climate change. While it is cleaner than coal and oil, the uncomfortable truth is that natural gas is still a fossil fuel which releases greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. I think that if we want to show real leadership on climate change, we have to be honest that increasing fossil fuel usage in any way is irresponsible, and we must put all our effort into transitioning to renewable energy, and stop taking half-hearted measures like the one you propose. Furthermore, creating jobs in fossil fuels like natural gas is bound to not end well, as these jobs will inevitably in a few decades be neither economically nor environmentally sustainable, as we have already seen with coal, and we should instead focus on expanding the green energy sector, which provides long-term employment prospects in an industry whose future is secure.

Closing Statement
I am running for Congress because I care deeply about the communities of New Hampshire’s 1st District. Sadly, there has been a trend in recent years in Washington towards performative politics; style over substance. In local government, this is not an option available to us. We have to deliver real concrete results, or our constituents will rightfully kick us out of the job. I want to take this approach to Washington, to craft legislation to give every American access to healthcare, revitalise our infrastructure and struggling downtowns, strengthen public education, end the war in Iraq, and protect the environment. We need someone who will stand up to the Bush administration, not be a yes-man for its disastrous right-wing agenda. I am not independently wealthy, or a DNC insider. I am simply motivated by a burning desire to keep our great state moving forward, make it inclusive for everyone, and represent all the people of this wonderful district. If this approach to governance appeals to you, please consider lending your vote to me in next year’s Democratic primary election. Thank you, good night, and God bless you.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2021, 05:45:02 PM »

Turn 2: October 1-January 1

October 1: Give interview with WMUR station

October 2-5: Fly to New York to attend fundraisers and seek support for campaign from prominent donors

October 6-8: Disseminate campaign literature

October 9-10: Make calls with major GOP donors

October 11-15: Fly to New Jersey to campaign for NJ Republicans ahead of the 2005 election

October 16-21: Rockingham County, NH

October 16-19: Hold rallies in Portsmouth
October 19-21: Hold rallies in Derry

October 22-26: Fly to Virginia to campaign for VA Republicans ahead of the 2005 election

October 27-November 3: Manchester County, NH

October 27-30: Hold rallies in Manchester
October 31-November 3: Door knock in Manchester and distribute campaign literature

November 4-11: Strafford County, NH

November 4-7: Hold rallies in Dover
November 7-11: Hold rallies in Rochester

November 12-23: Councilor duties

November 24-November 27: Disseminate campaign literature

November 27-30: Make calls to major GOP donors seeking fundraising and endorsements

December 1-December 10: Rockingham County, NH

December 1-December 3: Door knock in Portsmouth and distribute campaign literature
December 4-7: Door knock in Derry and distribute campaign literature
December 8-10: Door knock in Brentwood and distribute campaign literature

December 11-14: Manchester County, NH

December 12-15: Door knock in Manchester and distribute campaign literature

December 16-22: Strafford County, NH

December 16-19: Door knock in Dover and distribute campaign literature
December 20-22: Door knock in Rochester and distribute campaign literature

December 23-27: Fly to San Francisco to attend fundraisers and seek support for campaign from prominent donors

December 28: Attend debate

December 29-January 1: Make calls with donors seeking fundraising and endorsements
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2021, 06:28:56 PM »

December 2005 Schedule

1 December: Private lunch with Fmr. Gov. Shaheen
3 December: Deliver talk to campaign volunteers about canvassing strategy:
The first thing to remember is to always be polite, and to not let yourself be dragged into long debates or try to persuade voters who are clearly not open to voting for us. In terms of the campaign’s key messages, be responsive to the voters’ key concerns, whether those are the budget, education, healthcare, Iraq or the environment, and emphasises that I am a normal citizen just like them who wants to deliver for their communities and practical needs. I know many of you are very idealistic people; that is not meant as an insult, in fact I think it’s wonderful. But just bear in mind that the average voter, even in primaries, is not particularly ideological and is more focussed on bread-and-butter issues.
6 December: Deliver a talk to students at Kennett High School’s careers fair about jobs, and getting involved, in government.
7 December: Meet with hospitality and tourism workers in Jackson and North Conway
9 December: Canvas in Laconia
11 December: Town Hall in Goffstown
13-14 December: Volunteer at a local soup kitchen
17 December: Fundraiser in Manchester
20 December: Go skiing with my family in North Conway
24-27 December: Time off for Christmas
29 December: Town Hall in Conway
31 December: Host New Year’s Eve party
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2021, 10:03:01 PM »

Debate Rules and Regulations

Welcome to the first debate of East of the Merrimack. Debates in this game will be important in delineating differences between candidates, and forcing you to take tough positions. It will give you a chance to attack your opponents, and show why you're the best candidate. This opens up potential endorsements and other sources of support. Debates will be judged on the cohesiveness of your answers (not, cohesiveness is not grammar, people don't always speak in good grammar), and rhetorical skill. There will also be a randomized element for scoring. There will be an opening statement, two general questions, and a personalized question. You are also invited to post another written statement, rebutting the views of others or attacking other candidates. If you are posting your debate responses before everyone else and you want to wait to see what others do, you can post a response to what others have posted after you. But do not edit it after you post it (I will notice). Naturally there will also be a closing statement. Answers should be of reasonable lengths. Not four sentences, and also not two paragraphs. Responses are due on the 29th. I look forward to the joy this will bring!

Chamber of Commerce Republican Debate

Russel Morgan: Welcome to the Chamber of Commerce Republican Debate here at the Strand Dover. I'm Russel Morgan of the New Hampshire PBS, I'm joined by Mr. Hank Jackson of the Chamber, and Anne Baxter of the Foster's Daily Democrat. Today we're moderating the first Republican debate for Congress in New Hampshire's First District. Let's begin.

1. An Opening Statement

Good evening, I am running for Congress because I believes New Hampshire needs a conservative voice to stand with President Bush. While I did have a more comfortable upbringing than many, my family still faced challenges. For instance my father would regularly be out of the house and my mother had to raise me and two other kids. In her eyes, I saw the determination and grit of Americans. There were so many days when you could tell she wanted to take a day off, but she didn't. Ultimately her perseverance and determination made me the person I am today. My mother's determination inspired me to enter public office. I believe that everyone should have a comfortable lifestyle, and the fact that a well-off family like mine was not able to have one convinced me that currently a comfortable lifestyle is available only to those at the very top. I want to change that and I want to make a comfortable lifestyle accessible to everyone.

2. What is your view on the American presence in Iraq?

I believe that we should consider a surge of troops in Iraq. We have done well to depose Saddam Hussein, who was a brutal dictator who was engaged in what was, quite frankly, a genocide of the Kurdish people. However, we have created a power vacuum now and we need to be cautious in our next steps. I believe we need a surge to quash any insurgents who may seek to assume control as well as any former top officials in the Ba'ath Party. Once we stabilize Iraq, what we need to do is then go to the UN and ask for some peacekeeping forces. Then they along with our troops should be stationed in Iraq until we can ensure their transition to democracy. In addition, I think we should permanently station around 5,000 troops in Iraq to protect the fledging democracy that we will seek to establish against any enemies.

3. What is the first bill you would introduced if elected?

I believe that the people of New Hampshire need to keep more of their money. Thus, my first bill proposed will be a bill to cut taxes. I will propose a bill that will cut income taxes for everyone. My bill will also cut the corporate taxes, the capital gains tax, as well as the estate tax. It is my firm belief that people should keep at least 60% of their gross income, regardless of which income bracket they fall into and I will propose a tax plan consistent with these ideals. My plan to pay for it is to clean up waste that has accumulated in the Social Security Administration as well as in Medicare and Medicaid. I believe that younger people should be allowed to invest some of their savings in the stock market, as I do not believe that the current organizations running the entitlements are running them in a prudent way, and this is dire, but I believe they will run out of money, possibly as early as 2020, if they continue at this rate.

Personalized Questions:

To Benjamin Smith: Do you support raising the retirement age? And if so, to what?

I do not support raising the retirement age. At the age of 65, many people are already disabled and are unable to work. I believe a much better way to deal with the issues of the large costs of entitlements is to cut and privatize these programs so that they can remain solvent for generations to come.

4. Rebuttal Period

Mr. Medford has stated that I support raising the retirement age when I never said anything of the sort. Mr. Medford has tried to slander my campaign and I will not sit idly by while it happens.

Mr. Parsons has said we need less troops in Iraq, yet he claims to be serious about fighting the insurgency. The insurgents have been waiting all along for us to move out. There is a power vacuum right now, and we need more troops not less to ensure that it is filled, and to ensure that we fill it. We then need to ensure that Iraq not only transitions to a democracy, but transitions to a stable one. We have come so far in Iraq and we are so close to establishing a democracy, and Mr. Parson's policies would throw all of that out and cede Iraq to the insurgents

5. Closing Statement

I am running as the true conservative voice in this election. I got involved in public office to ensure that everyone could live a comfortable life. I believe the best way to do that it to allow you to keep more of your own money so that you can decide how to do it. I am also the only candidate on this stage who has a plan on how we can create lasting democracy in Iraq. I will bring the conservative voice to Washington that New Hampshire needs, thank you!

Brother Jonathan

« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2021, 10:15:52 PM »

Rebuttal Period
To Benjamin Smith:

Mr. Smith has clearly misunderstood my statement. I do not think we need to draw down troops, quite clearly that will do nothing but increase violence. I said we needed to keep a low profile. Any expert in counter-insurgency will tell you that a high profile US presence in a multi-ethnic nation, like Iraq, which is experiencing national and ethnic conflicts will only exacerbate the situation. We need more troops, but they need to be working clearly alongside Iraqis and with a smaller footprint in-country. If we want to secure a democratic Iraq, we need to do so alongside our brave Iraqi allies, with training as our first priority. I think this is a clear case of planning failures on the part of the administration, but I think they are learning and we can still stabilize Iraq provided we follow strategies like the one I support, which have been advocated by experts in counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency operations.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2021, 11:42:29 PM »

Turn III: January 1st 2006-May 1st 2006

[1]

Tom Griffith: Hello, good morning, and welcome back to WMUR New Hampshire broadcasting from Manchester. It's a freezing January Day here in the New Year. Winds of up to 12 miles per hour and cold, cold conditions. We'll be checking in on the Mount Washington station today, In the news today, Tom DeLay, rocked by scandal says he won't seek his old post as Majority Leader. And new highs from the Dow, approaching a shocking 11,000 points. We've also got analysis on the race for Congress here in New Hampshire.

Jennifer Vaughn: Well both parties held their first debates, giving voters a real look at the candidates. On the Democratic side, various candidates called more government involvement in getting people health insurance, and all spoke loudly against the ongoing war in Iraq. David O'Connor, a banker who recently moved to New Hampshire, got attention for his cutting words, here's the tape

David O'Connor: Even to this day, the Bush/Cheney administration is pioneering wars for oil across the globe, sending brave young men and women to die in a war that we are just now beginning to understand the goal. That goal is to continue the dependance of the American people on oil, I want to see an America where we fight not for oil in a foreign land, but for the future of our children.

Jennifer Vaughn: Certainly harsh words from Mr. O'Connor.

Tom Griffith: For sure, and he wasn't the only one to gain attention. Lauren Winters, Mayor or Durham was attacking O'Connor, when she called him "part of the Washington establishment that has failed us for decades." Bill Fiske, Attorney from Conway attacked Winters for her support of new natural gas production. Definitely drawing battle lines. A WENH online poll of 112 people who said they saw the debate had Kyle Millenberg and Lauren Winters as the winners of the debate, though such a poll is highly unscientific.

Jennifer Vaughn: And what about the Republicans?

Tom Griffith: A fierce contest to be sure, with fire exchanged between Senator Medford, Mr. Parsons, and Councillor Smith. Medford accused Smith of trying to raise the retirement age, Smith accused Parsons of giving up on the fight in Iraq, and Parsons defending himself. We'll see if Republicans are making up their minds, and you know we will see, because thanks to the UNH Survey Center. Here we are, new polls in both primaries.

Republican Primary Poll
Sample Size: 504
MoE: +/- 4.7%
Undecided/Unfamiliar/Other-40%
Jabez Parsons-16%
Benjamin Smith-14%
Francis McGuinty-13%
Tyler Medford-11%
David McLeod-6%

Democratic Primary Poll
Sample Size: 511
MoE: +/- 4.6%
Undecided/Unfamiliar/Other-33%
David O’Connor-15%
Lauren Winters-12%
Bill Fiske-12%
Kyle Millenberg-11%
Jennifer Annika-9%
Brian Wilson-8%

Tom Griffith: Still lots of undecided voters, but we're starting to get a race here folks. On the Republican side I'm seeing gains from Councillor Smith, who has really carved out a niche as the most conservative, pro-Bush candidate. Parsons remains ahead, as many in the New Hampshire Republican establishment rally behind him, like Manchester's New Mayor Frank Guinta, he just made headlines by rallying behind Parson's candidacy.

Jennifer Vaughn: Are there any other endorsements we should know about?

Tom Griffith: Well there's a few, including Representative Bernie Sanders of Vermont. But the biggest one is John Kerry of Massachusetts, the Democratic presidential candidate just two years ago who won New Hampshire's primary, who has gotten behind his friend David O'Connor, and says he's putting all his resources behind getting him elected. And as well, the National Education Association here in New Hampshire endorsing Bill Fiske. That could be very very big. We've got more on that and other news after the break.

Jennifer Vaughn: Thanks Tom. We'll get onto that and more very soon, stick with us.

News over the Duration of the Turn

• Ben Bernanke appointed to Chair Federal Reserve
  • AIG settles for 1.64 billion with regulators after accusations of deceptive business practices
  • Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shoots lawyer while quail hunting

Welcome to the Third Turn of East of the Merrimack. This turn starts on January First and ends on May First. It will last in RL time for about 2-3 weeks. For this time you are free to post schedules for that period. There might be a debate this turn if people want another one. I will still accept turn two schedules. Turn two was another good one! Keep going!

[1] Wikimedia Commons, media logo used under Fair Use

Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2021, 04:02:41 AM »

End of Year Schedule for Kyle Millenberg
(LATE!)
November 1st-7th: Treasurer Duties
November 8th: Rally in Dover
November 9th: Phonebanking with supporters in Dover
November 10: Meet again with New Hampshire gun club to ask for consideration for endorsement in general election
November 11-12: Door knocking in Laconia
November 13: Rally in Laconia
November 14th-21st: Treasurer Duties
November 20: Open door fundraiser in Gilford
November 22: Tour local small businesses in Gilford
November 23: Pass out campaign flyers at Turkey trot starting line in Laconia
November 24: Take break from campaign to celebrate Thanksgiving
November 25-27: Rallies in Portsmouth
November 28-December 5: Treasurer Duties
December 5-8: Door knocking in Manchester
December 9: Meet again with Senator Lou D'Allesandro in private to court endorsement.
December 12-19: Treasurer Duties
December 20: Open Door fundraiser in Wolfesboro
December 21: Meet with State Senator Maggie Hassan to stress progressive credentials and request endorsement
December 22-23: Christmas fundraisers in Meredith and Alton
December 24: Christmas party with staff at campaign headquarters
December 25: Celebrate Christmas at home with family
December 26-December 30: Treasurer Duties
December 31: New Year's celebration at home
RGM2609
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2021, 12:01:19 PM »

Francis McGuinty - October-December 2005

In these places, Francis McGuinty will hold town halls, knock on doors, host meet-and-greets as well as have dinner in local restaurants from every town he visits, in order to meet voters who may not be so interested in politics. All of his actions will be directed towards meeting as many voters as humanly possible with the purpose of raising his notoriety and appeal to the undecided and unfamiliar voters. He will focus more on population center, but most small towns will be visited for at least 10 hours. Meanwhile, behind the scenes, his campaign will try to form a community of donors in order to boost its fundraising for the latter stages of the campaign.

October 1st - October 7th - Portsmouth

What the people of Portsmouth and of the first district truly need in the House is a maverick, someone who will fully subscribe to party lines and ideological battles and instead consider every single piece of legislation, consider its impact upon his constituents and most importantly, consult his constituents before every single vote. That is my promise to you, the voters! I will be an independent person and an actual Representative, not in-name-only, for you!

October 8th-14th - Rye, North Hampton, Greenland, Stratham, Newmarket, Epping

October 15th-22nd - Durham, Lee, Barrington, Nottingham

October 23rd-31st - Dover, Somersworth, Rochester

November 1st-7th - Exeter, Hampton, Seabrook, Brentwood

November 8th-15th - Kingston, Newton, Plaistow, Atkinson, Salem

November 15th-22nd - Derry, Chester, Sandown, Danville

November 23rd-30th - Londonderry, Auburn, Candia, Hooksett, Deerfield, Northwood

December 1st-7th - Alton, New Durham, Milton, Wakefield, Tuftonboro, Wolfeboro

December 8th-15th - Moultonborough, Ossipee, Conway, Barlett

December 16th-23rd - Manchester

December 23rd-31st - Return to Barrington to spend the holidays with family and campaign strategists, attend as many public events and celebrations in the area as possible.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2021, 01:39:48 PM »

Endorsements List

Republicans
Francis McGuinty:
The New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
Citizens Against Government Waste
Republican Liberty Caucus of New Hampshire
Jabez Parsons:
U.S. Senator from Virginia John Warner
U.S. Senator from Indiana Richard Lugar
Manchester Mayor Frank Guinta
Bill Zeliff, Former U.S. Representative from NH-1
Charles Massahos*, Sheriff of Rockingham County
Scott Priestley*, Treasurer of Rockingham County
New Hampshire Lodging and Restaurant Association (Republican Endorsement)
Tyler Medford:
The Log Cabin Republicans of New Hampshire
U.S. Senator from Vermont Jim Jeffords
New Hampshire Young Republicans
Ted Gatsas, State Senator
Benjamin Smith:
Americans for Tax Reform
Former Secretary of Commerce Peter G. Peterson
The Heritage Foundation
Tom DeLay, U.S. Representative for TX-22
Newt Gingrich, Former Speaker of the House

Democrats
David O'Connor:
IBEW Local 104
U.S. Senator from Massachusetts John Kerry
Attorney and 2004 Kerry New Hampshire Campaign Chair Bill Shaheen
Norman D'Amours, Former U.S. Representative from NH-1
UA Local 131 Plumbers & Steamfitters
Jennifer Annika:
Emily's List
New Hampshire Nurses's Association
Bill Fiske:
National Education Association-New Hampshire
Mayor of Portsmouth Steve Marchand
Kyle Millenberg:
Belknap County Democratic Party (Each Local Committee voted to endorse, County Committee does not endorse)
Dean 2004 Campaign Manager Joe Trippi
United Steelworkers Laconia
Brian Wilson:
Business and Industry Association
New Hampshire Lodging and Restaurant Association (Democratic Endorsement)
New Hampshire Public Interest Research Group
Lauren Winters:
U.S. Representative from Vermont Bernie Sanders
Professional Firefighters of New Hampshire
Iris Estabrook, State Senator

If there is anything you believe to be missing, or things I should include that you should have to start, just tell me.

*Can't find the names for the people who held these offices in 2006, so using the modern names for convenience's sake and as a placeholder
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2021, 01:33:52 PM »

WILSON TO SUSPEND CAMPAIGN, ENDORSES ANNIKA

State Senator Brian Wilson has announced he will suspend his campaign for Congress, following disappointing poll numbers. Wilson said in a statement issued a few moments ago:

Over the past few months, I've had the great pleasure to meet with and speak with the voters of New Hampshire. We talked about the need for low taxes, an end to the Iraq War, and holding George W. Bush and his cronies accountable. Unfortunately, I do not see a path forward to the nomination. We need to have a united party as we enter the general election and that's why I'll be endorsing Jennifer Annika.

Wilson, who's been spending the past several months on the campaign trail, and courting Governor John Lynch for his endorsement, focused on his small business credentials. However, in fundraising and in the polls, he didn't make the splash he thought he would.

Wilson also said he'll be running for another term in the State Senate, where he will face off against Republican candidate Norm Hull.
President Biden Democrat
mrappaport1220
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2021, 10:40:09 PM »

Tyler Medford - Fighting For New Hampshire!
January 2006 - April 2006

January 2nd, 2006: Meets with Sen. John H. Sununu

January 5th, 2006: Holds Fundraiser in Manchester, NH, raises 70k (new high)

January 7th, 2006: Meets with Gun Owners of New Hampshire
"My meeting today went very well with the Gun Owners of New Hampshire. We all believe in the second amendment and gun rights. We do not want gun reform and background checks which are unnecessary and would only cause issues. I'm proud to stand with them and will represent all responsible gun owners in Congress once elected."

January 11th, 2006: Visits critical small towns in Belknap county

January 13th-20th, 2006: In depth tour of every county in NH's 1st district

January 21st, 2006: Town hall in Manchester with voters

January 24th, 2006: Meets with group of moderate NH State Senators and Reps

January 27th, 2006: Meets with the voters in Portsmouth

January 31st, 2006: Meets with Rep. Jeb Bradley (NH-1st District)
"My meeting with the Representative went very well. We share many goals for our great state. I'm sad to see him go and retire from the House but I am excited to learn from him and hope that I will have the privilege to replace him."

February 3rd, 2006: Fundraiser in Dover, NH, raises 50k

February 7th, 2006: Meets with ME Moderate Senators Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins on ME & NH border

February 11th, 2006: Visits Rural areas in Northern part of the district

February 14th, 2006: Takes break for Valentine's Day to spend time with wife, children

February 18th, 2006: Meets with NH NRA
Today, my aides and I met with the New Hampshire National Rifle Association. This of course went very well and we spoke about many critical issues. I stand with them and will represent their values in Congress. Gun rights are very important and should be taken away for any reason.

February 21st, 2006: Fundraiser in Salem, NH, raises 40k

February 25th, 2006: Goes on local state television
Question: "What makes you different from the other candidates in the race?"
"Thank you for the opportunity tonight. I am a war veteran and an independent. I will represent and their values, and not the national party or the special interests in Washington. Their are many good candidates in this race, but I am different as I have different stances then many of the other candidates."

Question: "When you say different stances, what are you talking about exactly?"
I'm pro gun, anti corruption, and pro-civil unions. I believe as New Hampshirites, we should give people choice and should not interfere in peoples personal lives. I am for small government and believe that the government should not interfere unless when totally necessary."

Question: "What is your position on the United States' presence in Iraq and Afghanistan?"
"The United States should monitor the situation in both countries closely. I would prefer to return our troops home and leave but that might not be the smartest decision right now. We should prevent terrorism but not at the expense of our troops overseas. We need to be smart and work hard to find reliable solutions."

February 28th, 2006:
Fundraiser in Manchester, NH, raises 75k

March 5th, 2006: Meets once again with NH Moderate Republicans in the State Senate and House

March 10th, 2006, Meets with Sen. Judd Gregg

March 16th, 2006: Sunday Church, Speaks About "Christian Values"
As a Christian, I believe in Christian values that we as Republicans share. It is very important that we stand for family values and rights for all.

March 19th, 2006: Town Hall in Manchester, NH

March 23rd, 2006: Meets with local officials in Manchester on state and local issues

March 27th, 2006: Fundraiser in Rochester, NH

April 1st, 2006: Visits schools in Manchester to see how they are doing.

April 6th, 2006: Meets with Former NH Gov. Craig Benson

April 12th, 2006: Town Hall in Dover, NH

April 16th, 2006: Attends Church, Leads Parade on Easter in Manchester

April 20th, 2006: Fundraiser in Manchester with Pro-Gun Groups, raises 80k

April 24th, 2006: Visits local parks in Southern part of the district

April 27th, 2006: Meets with voters in State Senate District in Manchester, NH

Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2021, 06:35:11 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2021, 11:36:16 AM by Alcibiades »

January 2006 Schedule

4 January: Town Hall in Exeter
7 January: Accept endorsement from the NEA-NH:
Thank you. It is a great honour for me to accept this endorsement, and I feel humbled by this vote of confidence by our state’s hardworking teachers. I reaffirm my pledge to you that I will always put public education first, and fight for more and fairer funding, as well as reducing the focus on standardised testing. Education is, if done right, the great leveller in society, the tool which can enable young people to pursue their dreams from disadvantaged backgrounds. It is a crucial part of the American Dream, and politicians’ neglect of it is a major reason why that dream now seems out of reach for too many. And it is because our kids matter so much, that our teachers, in whose hands we entrust the next generation, also do, and deserve to be treated with the respect and the pay they deserve for their essential role.
11 January: Attend charity dinner for local children’s charities in Conway
14 January: Canvass in Manchester
17 January: Town Hall in Laconia
18 January: Fundraiser in Portsmouth
22 January: Meet with Carroll County state legislators to discuss investment in the region
24 January: Town Hall in Hampton
27 January: Meet with veterans with PTSD, discuss the need for greater government support:
I have been greatly touched by stories I have heard from some of the veterans I have spoken with today. It is quite simply disgraceful that our government asks these men and women to be prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice, and then all too often offers them next to nothing in return once they have been discharged, particularly with regards to their mental health. I think it is common sense to divert some of the funds unnecessarily spent on our bloated defence budget to supporting our veterans. As a nation, we owe it to them.
31 January: Canvass in Rochester
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2021, 05:06:33 PM »

January/February Schedule

January 1st- New Years Rally with Mayor Frank Gunita and Frm. Rep Bill Zelif in Manchester

Mayor Guinta: I am proud to endorse Jeb Parsons for Congress. In the State Senate, he’s been a proud defender of the New Hampshire Advantage and has worked with legislators from across the partisan divide to deliver for the people of New Hampshire. He’s a real legislative leader and independent thinker, and I know he will bring that same attitude to Washington DC.

January 2nd- Meeting with Union Leader editorial board
January 3rd-  Lunch with Sen. Gregg in Manchester
January 4th- State Senate sessions
January 5th- National Security Town Hall in Bedford
January 6th- Speech on economic policy at Manchester Chamber of Commerce

“The future of our economy is in technology, and Manchester is a real example of the sort of success that comes to areas that were once home to paper and textile mills when they create an environment conducive to business and with an eye toward the future. Mayor Guinta, who is with us today, has been a leader nationally in getting our cities to adopt smart policies that help to create dynamic and prosperous communities. We need a federal government that encourages these sorts of policies, and that makes sure the United States is going to be competitive throughout the 21st century. Critics call this a race to the bottom, but nothing could be farther from the truth. By getting rid of unneeded regulations and reducing taxes, we reward success. It’s hard to look at the medical and technological miracles coming out of cities across this country and really believe that this rising tide won’t in time lift all boats.”

January 7th- Meeting with NH Farm Bureau to discuss agricultural issues
January 8th-9th- Law firm work
January 10th- State Senate session
January 11th- Town hall in Wolfeboro
January 12th-15th- Meetings with State legislative leaders
January 16th- Tax policy town hall in Portsmouth
January 17th- Fundraiser in Manchester
January 18th- State Senate session
January 19th- Meeting with State Senators
January 20th-22nd- Meetings with State legislative leaders
January 23rd- Fundraiser in Bedford
January 24th- Town hall in North Conway
January 25th- Town hall in Seabrook
January 26th-28th- Law firm work
January 29th- Town hall in Manchester
January 30th- Dinner for State Senate leadership
January 31st- Law firm work

February 1st- Town hall in Auburn
February 2nd- State Senate session
February 3rd-7th- Meetings with Governor and state legislative leaders
February 8th- Town hall in Newfields
February 9th- Meeting with local business leaders in Ossipee
February 10th- Town hall with Rockingham Sheriff on law enforcement issues in Derry
February 11th-13th- Law firm work
February 13th-15th- Meetings with legislative leaders to prepare for the upcoming session
February 16th- State Senate Sessions
February 17th- Meeting with Union Leader reporters to discuss legislative priorities
February 18th- Town hall in Laconia
February 19th- Meet with Young Republicans group at the University of New Hampshire
February 20th- Town hall in Somersworth
February 21st-22nd- Preparing for State Senate session
February 23rd- State Senate session
February 24th- Town hall in Dover
February 25th- Lunch meeting with seacoast business leaders
February 26th- Law firm work
February 27th-28th- Meetings with state legislative leaders

Brother Jonathan

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2021, 12:06:41 PM »

March/April Schedule

March 1st- Town hall in Deerfield
March 2nd-5th- Meetings with New Hampshire Republican leadership
March 6th-8th- Meeting with State legislative leaders
March 9th- State Senate session
March 10th- Town hall in Laconia
March 11th- Dinner with Sen. Gregg and family
March 12th- Dinner with Speaker Scamman to discuss the legislative session
March 13th- Meetings with Chester clerk/select board to prepare for town meeting
March 14th- Town meeting day in Chester, serving as moderator
March 15th- Meeting with State Senate colleagues
March 16th- State Senate session
March 17th- Participate in Manchester “St. Pats Parade”
March 18th- Lunch with Chester clerk
March 19th- Town hall on education issues in Durham
March 20th-21st- Meetings with state legislative leaders
March 22nd- State Senate session
March 23rd- Fundraiser at Manchester Radisson
March 24th- Town hall in Hampton
March 25th- Town hall in East Kingston
March 26th- Town hall in Rye
March 27th- Phone town hall with voters from across the district
March 28th- Speak briefly by phone with Gen. Scowcroft, and frm. Sec Kissinger and Eagleburger to discuss foreign policy in preparation for an upcoming speech
March 29th-30th- Law firm work and speech writing
March 31st- Speech on foreign policy in Manchester

“The United States has long practiced and must continue to practice, a pragmatic and results-oriented foreign policy. But pragmatic does not mean vapid or unscrupulous, rather it means that we must act with reason and calculation in the pursuit of our lofty goals. We all want a safer world, a more secure world, safer for democracy and liberty, and the best way to bring that world into existence is to act wisely now to preserve and defend liberty as it comes under attack.”

April 1st- April fools pranks at the state house
April 2nd- Town hall on tax policy with Mayor Guinta in Manchester
April 3rd-5th- Meeting with state legislative leaders
April 6th- State Senate session
April 7th- Travel to Boston
April 8th- Law firm work, dinner with Charles Fried in Boston
April 9th- Return to Chester, dinner with Sherm Horton
April 10th- Fundraiser with Mayor Guinta in Manchester
April 11th-12th- Meetings with state legislative leaders
April 13th- State Senate session
April 14th- Town hall in Jackson with frm. Rep. Bill Zeliff
April 15th- Fundraiser at Black Mountain Ski Area
April 16th- Fundraiser in Rye
April 17th- Meeting with Union Leader editorial board
April 18th-19th- Meetings with legislative leaders, the Governor
April 20th- State Senate session
April 21st- Republican Senate caucus press conference in Concord
April 22nd- Meeting with small business leaders in Manchester
April 23rd- Speech to New Hampshire Lodging and Restaurant Association

“Small business is the backbone of the American economy, and here in New Hampshire that means our many restaurants and independently owned and operated hotels. We have a truly vibrant culture of entrepreneurship and small business ownership in this state, and in Congress, I will fight for a tax code that encourages businesses, rather than penalizes them.”

April 24th- Fundraiser in Exeter
April 25th- Town hall in Nottingham
April 26th-27th- Law firm work
April 28th- Foreign policy town hall in Portsmouth
April 29th- File in person for Congressional primary; press conference and speech to supporters afterward
April 30th- Host gala for state Republican leaders at the Exeter Inn
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2021, 03:19:17 PM »

February-March 2006 Schedule

2 February: Attend an adult literacy class in Manchester
4 February: Reopen Cannon Mountain cablecar after repairs
6 February: Appear with Mayor Steve Marchand in Portsmouth to accept his endorsement:
Marchand: It is my great pleasure to introduce my good friend, and New Hampshire’s First District’s next representative, Bill Fiske! I’ve known Bill for several years now, and I know that he’s a no-nonsense champion for ordinary people who’ll bring his experience from local government to deliver results in Washington. He’ll do a great job for the people of Portsmouth and the whole district.
Fiske: Thank you very much for those kind words, Steve. Steve and I share a common governing philosophy, that elected officials should be judged by their actions, not their fancy rhetoric, and it’s a great honour to have the endorsement of one of this country’s best young mayors. My promise to you, the people of Portsmouth, is that I will never lose sight of whom I serve. I will fight for healthcare for all who need it, for better public schools, and for new infrastructure. I believe, if done right, these programmes will more than pay for themselves.
9 February: Town Hall in Laconia
13 February: Canvass in Somersworth
15 February: Fundraiser in Dover
18 February: Interview with The Laconia Daily Sun
A lot of politicians say that they will bring a cleaner, fresher style to Washington, yet many simply prove to be typical career politicians? Why will you be different?
I understand why many voters have this concern, and quite frankly, it’s totally justified when you look at many of the people elected to office. What I say to them, to you, is look at my record. I’ve spent two decades in local government, a level of government from which far too few federal politicians are drawn. I haven’t spent this time playing politics, because I can’t. I have real, solid achievements, driven by a genuine passion for helping my constituents - if you’re in local government, it’s not because you’re looking to make a lot of money! I promise not to lose those values if I go to Washington.
22 February: Visit Great Bay National Wildlife Refuge; pledge support for conservation and and endangered species legislation.
25 February: Town Hall in Pinardville
28 February: Canvass in Barrington

2 March: Open new community centre in Conway:
I am very proud to open this centre, which will serve as a hub and support centre for everyone in our community, but particularly our most vulnerable youth and adults. This is yet another example of we in Conway showing that meaningful investment in public services and fiscal responsibility, as we have delivered another budget surplus, are not mutually exclusive, and indeed reinforce each other. This is the kind of leadership I will bring to Washington if I have the honour of being chosen as your US Representative.
5 March: Canvass in Wolfeboro
9 March: Present annual award for most inspiring New Hampshire teacher
12 March: Town Hall in Epping
16 March: Fundraiser in Manchester
17-18 March: Volunteer at a food bank in Portsmouth
21 March: Canvass in Ossipee
24 March: Visit The Palace Theatre in Manchester, give speech about support for increased arts funding:
The arts play such a vital role in our communities. They provide employment and generate revenue, but more importantly, they enrich everyone’s lives and bring joy to them. Unfortunately, they are all to easy a target for politicians railing against wasteful spending, who claim that they are of little utility. I recognise that quite the opposite is true, and too many of our theatres and galleries are barely surviving, so I will work towards increased funding for the arts if I am elected.
27 March: Town Hall in Jackson
30 March: Canvass in Rochester

Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2021, 06:24:38 PM »

April 2006 Schedule

2 April: Voter registration drive at the University of New Hampshire
5 April: Town Hall in Rochester
7 April: Canvass in Derry
10 April: Meet with a group of uninsured people in Manchester to discuss healthcare and a public option.
14 April: Town Hall in Tamworth:
Do you believe that gerrymandering is a serious problem?
I absolutely do. It is a scourge on our democracy which disenfranchises voters and empowers party hacks. Fortunately it is not too bad as of the moment in New Hampshire, and both of our districts our competitive, which rightfully keeps politicos like me on our toes, but it presents a major threat nationwide to representative self-government. Congress has the power to regulate its own elections federally, so I will try to pass a bill mandating nonpartisan redistricting commissions in every state.
17 April: Fundraiser in Portsmouth with Mayor Marchand
20 April: Meet with the New Hampshire branch of the Human Rights Campaign, tout support of same-sex marriage to push for an endorsement.
22 April: Canvass in Exeter
25 April: Town Hall in Laconia
27 April: Volunteer litter-picking in Conway
30 April: Canvass in Dover
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2021, 08:59:56 PM »

Early 2006 schedule for Kyle Millenberg

January 2: Meet with United Steelworkers Laconia to thank them for endorsement
January 3-6: Treasurer Duties
January 7: Fundraiser at a supporter's home in Brentwood
January 8: Meet again with State Senator Lou D'Allesandro to continue to seek endorsement
January 9-12: Door-Knocking in Manchester
January 13: Launch Youtube Channel for campaign
January 14-15: Canvassing in Tilton
January 16-17: Canvassing in Sanborton
January 20-23: Treasurer Duties
February 1-3: Door-Knocking in Laconia
February 4-5: Door-Knocking in Belmont
February 6-9: Treasurer Duties
February 10: Fundraiser in Meredith
February 11: Phonebank with supporters in Meredith
February 12: Interview on Air America Radio
Excerpt from interview with Al Franken:
Franken: So we've got an interview with a candidate for congress coming up, he's in running in Ne Hampshire's um.. First congressionald district. He's the treasurer of Balknap County, Kyle Millenberg, thanks for coming on.

Millenberg: Great to be here Al.

Franken: So you're running for congress, So there are a lot of candidates in this race, all of them have uh sort of staked themselves out as the person who can win this seat and take back the house. Give us your pitch on why you think you need to be the candidate in this race.

Millenberg: Well, I believe I'm the candidate who's most in touch with the needs of this community. You know, we can't just win this race by repeating slogans handed to us by some think tanks we need people who are out there and listening to the voter's concerns. I know a lot of people who vote for George Bush aren't happy with the way this economy is going and I've worked hard to earn the support of my mostly Republican community.

Franken: So you're saying you think like these candidates are too consultant driven?

Millenberg: Well frankly yeah. We've seen what happened to these kinds of candidates that got tied to leadership did in 2004, they all performed pretty poorly. We didn't even really comce close to winning the house and our senate leader lost re-election. I'm saying we need to re-focus the target of out campaigns.

Franken: Uh huh. Well you see as we were talking about before you came on, we were talking about, Bush uh has a pretty low approval right now, but... so does Harry Reid so yu may have a point there o detaching yourself from leadership. But I do want to get your thoughts on what happened yesterday with Dick Cheney. If I am to understand this correctly, he shot a man, he'll probably get away with it I just want to hear what you have to say.

Millenberg: Well yeah, there's no doubt in my mind that he'll get away with it, this White House has gotten away with everything basically. My hope is that when I'm elected to be on the House Oversight Committee and hopefully, fingers crossed, with a Democratic house majority we can start taking this president and this administration to task on everything they've gotten away with.

February 13: Phonebanking with supporters in Laconia
February 14-17: Door knocking in Laconia with Belknap County Dems volunteers
February 17-21: Barnstorming in Salem
February 22: Dinner with New Hampshire Assistant Whip David Gottesman, seek endorsement
February 23-26: Treasurer Duties
February 27: Meet with State Senator Maggie Hassan again to seek endorsement, emphasize progressive economic views
February 28: Fundraiser in Kingston, New Hampshire
March 1st: Meet with the IBEW 1837 at their headquarters in Dover to seek endorsement
March 2nd: Sign Wave with supporters in Dover
March 3-6th: Door knocking in Dover
March 7th-11th: Barnstorming in Somersworth
March 12-15: Treasurer Duties
March 16: First Ad to be premiered online
Start out ad with shot of Millenberg standing in field in rural New Hampshire. He walks towards camera before he begins to speak
Hi there, my name is Kyle Millenberg. I'm a veteran, a dad and a proud American who has had the pleasure to serve the community of Belknap County as it's treasurer for the last 7 years. In 1998, I broke down the walls of this Republican stronghold by bringing voters of both parties together to recognize we needed a change. Now, we need that same kind of change. For the last 5 years, George Bush and his cronies have run amok on Capitol Hill, selling out the working people of this country to rich megadonors. They spent billions on a war overseas while the people at home lose their jobs, their shelter and their healthcare. We've been lacking in leadership to stand up this president, but I can promise you this, I will never back down to protect New Hampshire and I will never fall in line for the sake of consensus. I'm in this race to deliver for our community, but I need your help. My opponents from out of state are flooding the airwaves with money, I can barely keep up as it is, so please, if you believe in bringing true progressive New Hampshire values to Washington, make a contribution, it goes a long way. Thank you
March 17: Hand out campaign fliers at St. Patrick's Day parade in Manchester
March 18-19: Door-Knocking in Manchester
March 21: Youth Town Hall with Joe Trippi at University of Manchester
March 22-28: Barnstorming in Hampstead, Rye and Stratham
March 29-31: Treasurer Duties
April 1-7: Barnstorming in Atkinson, Cambia and Londonderry to discuss infrastructure plans with voters
April 8-12: Take a few days off campaigning
April 13-16: Treasurer Duties
April 17: Door knocking in Weare
April 18-20: Barnstorming in Hampton
April 21-23: Barnstorming in North Hampton
April 24: Meet with State Senator David Gottesman
April 25-28: Treasurer Duties
April 29: Rally in Manchester
April 30: Sign wave with supporters in Wonolancet
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to: