Do rich people who support economic leftist policies go against their self interest?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:26:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do rich people who support economic leftist policies go against their self interest?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: .
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Do rich people who support economic leftist policies go against their self interest?  (Read 1352 times)
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2020, 11:44:03 PM »

Everyone supporting economic leftist policies is going against their self-interest. Rich people are not unique in this.

What exactly are economic rightist policies these days? Being opposed to deficit spending when a Democrat is President, but supporting deficit spending when a Republican is President?

That's the closest I can think of, and that's no policy at all.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2020, 12:48:12 AM »

Not really for two reasons:

1. Most economically leftist policies save money in the long run anyway by not forcing them to pick up the scraps later. More immediately though, such as with universal healthcare, it means not having to provide the thing yourself and deal with all those middlemen.

2. It's easier to lose money than attain it, what happens when the self-interests naturally changed and you bit yourself in the a because "it could never happen to me". In that sense, even if premise one were not true, just by the possibility of losing it all...it's in the self-interests to bet against the short term in case it all goes to hell.
Asta

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2020, 02:22:00 PM »

Everyone supporting economic leftist policies is going against their self-interest. Rich people are not unique in this.

Please enlighten me. I'm fairly fiscally conservative, but supporting redistributionist policies is not acting against the poor's self-interest.

My guess is that you think lower taxes = benefit everyone. A single mom with multiple children that have to work multiple jobs just to make ends meet is likely better off voting for redistribution, at least in the short term.

I don't know how you can think otherwise.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2020, 03:16:59 PM »

Please enlighten me. I'm fairly fiscally conservative, but supporting redistributionist policies is not acting against the poor's self-interest.

My guess is that you think lower taxes = benefit everyone. A single mom with multiple children that have to work multiple jobs just to make ends meet is likely better off voting for redistribution, at least in the short term.

The idea that literally everyone is going to be better off if one's preferred economic policies are implemented is one of the most transparently delusional quasi-religious certainties in politics. And, yes, both sides do it.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2020, 03:24:21 PM »

The idea that literally everyone is going to be better off if one's preferred economic policies are implemented is one of the most transparently delusional quasi-religious certainties in politics. And, yes, both sides do it.

The idea that political policy is nothing more than a series of trade-offs between various demographic groups whose interests are inherently opposed is one of the most transparently dangerous and tribalist certainties in politics. And yes, both sides do that as well.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2020, 03:31:01 PM »

The idea that political policy is nothing more than a series of trade-offs between various demographic groups whose interests are inherently opposed is one of the most transparently dangerous and tribalist certainties in politics. And yes, both sides do that as well.

Well, yes, the extremes of both of these models of politics are similarly dangerous, and I try my best to avoid both. I call out both sides. Come on, man. I love being a centrist.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2021, 10:26:26 PM »

No, because sometimes, the masses need to be placated. The alternative is revolution.
I don’t know if you are trolling as usual but this is legitimately correct. If we keep voting for “fiscal conservatives” in the current mold, our economic system will collapse. It’s ironically GOP policies which will lead to communism.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2021, 11:13:50 AM »

Of course they do. People in general don’t vote based on their self-interest. They vote based on what they think is best for the country.

L O f**king L

Of course they do. People in general don’t vote based on their self-interest. They vote based on what they think is best for the country.

Bro what are you talking about. How many people do you talk to.

In an ideal world, yes. In practice, most people just support whoever promises them more free stuff.

I agree with whitesox. Everyone who recites the Pledge of Allegiance ends the Pledge with the words, "with liberty and justice for all," not the words "with liberty and justice for ME." Most Americans vote according to ideals, not self-interest. But we obviously have different ideals -- different ideologies -- about what is an appropriate amount of liberty and how to define justice.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2021, 02:47:21 PM »

I agree with whitesox. Everyone who recites the Pledge of Allegiance ends the Pledge with the words, "with liberty and justice for all," not the words "with liberty and justice for ME." Most Americans vote according to ideals, not self-interest. But we obviously have different ideals -- different ideologies -- about what is an appropriate amount of liberty and how to define justice.

What planet are you living on?
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2021, 05:09:30 PM »

No, because sometimes, the masses need to be placated. The alternative is revolution.
I don’t know if you are trolling as usual but this is legitimately correct. If we keep voting for “fiscal conservatives” in the current mold, our economic system will collapse. It’s ironically GOP policies which will lead to communism.

More likely you'll end up with Neo Feudalism. This is also what the religious and wealthy elites that control the Republican Party hierarchy want.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies