If Bush narrowly lost in 2004 while winning the NPV...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:31:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  If Bush narrowly lost in 2004 while winning the NPV...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Bush narrowly lost in 2004 while winning the NPV...  (Read 845 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2023, 11:44:08 AM »

If George W. Bush lost the 2004 election by narrowly failing to carry OH, do you think there would have been a real push to amend the constitution and abolish the EC? If only ~200k votes on OH shift, Kerry wins with 272 EVs while still losing the NPV to Bush by more than Bush himself lost to Gore.

With the EC twice producing a vote loser as prez in a row and with both parties going through the same frustration, I think there could have been a real chance for reform. Was possibly the best shot we ever had to end the EC and elect the POTUS by popular vote.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 12:13:07 PM »

Maybe not a complete repeal but you could see an amendment which would award the NPV winner like 25 or so electoral votes .

FloridaMan1845
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 10:24:47 PM »

If George W. Bush lost the 2004 election by narrowly failing to carry OH, do you think there would have been a real push to amend the constitution and abolish the EC? If only ~200k votes on OH shift, Kerry wins with 272 EVs while still losing the NPV to Bush by more than Bush himself lost to Gore.

With the EC twice producing a vote loser as prez in a row and with both parties going through the same frustration, I think there could have been a real chance for reform. Was possibly the best shot we ever had to end the EC and elect the POTUS by popular vote.
State level changes probably, like EVs being allocated proportionally or via Congressional District.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 07:48:49 PM »

I don't see a complete repeal happening, especially in the 2000s. But I could see some states adopting a format similar to Maine and Nebraska, perhaps the entire nation could have that by now if it happened.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies