Feminism and the ordination of women as priestesses and ministers. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:14:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Feminism and the ordination of women as priestesses and ministers. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Feminism and the ordination of women as priestesses and ministers.  (Read 3575 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: December 28, 2020, 03:29:18 PM »

This is something I privately disagree with my Church on but it's not a key issue for me, mostly because it's, for whatever reason, not a key issue for most of the Christian women I know. If they were more up in arms about it I probably would be too, and if I were more up in arms about it I probably wouldn't be an observant Catholic.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 12:38:23 PM »

I’d be interested in hearing the opinion of those who follow the internal affairs of the Catholic Church closely as to how likely they think it is that the Church will in the foreseeable future (or ever) permit the ordination of women. More and more Protestant denominations have been doing so, but my guess for the Catholic Church would be “not very likely”.

It will never happen. John Paul II, Benedict XVI, and now Francis have all infallibly taught the ordination of women is an impossibility.

But there is some dispute among otherwise orthodox theologians about the infallibility of Ordinatio sacerdotalis, in a way that there is not about, say, the infallibility of the teachings against abortion and euthanasia in Evangelium vitae.

It's still very unlikely, though, because whether it's technically infallible or not, it's definitely placed at a pretty high level of theological certitude (for reasons I, personally, still don't really understand). What's likelier is that new vocational options for women will end up being developed, since--other than marriage and holy orders, which we have had and will have come hell or high water--what vocations are available to Catholics aren't static, and vary from culture to culture. (Who, for example, has met a beguine recently?)
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 09:37:04 AM »

It's always struck me as pretty bizarre when people who aren't conservative have called me narrow-minded for having this as an absolute deal breaker (if not allowed) on ever belonging to a church.

Serious question: would you then not be Christian until contemporary times? I'm not aware, nor is a precursory research, of any form of Christianity that would have ordained women until very recently. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but Christianity seems central to your identity. I'm just curious how you would reconcile the historical lack of the practice with this ultimatum.
The fact that I might have to make compromises on such a thing in the past (although in America some Congregationalist churches have ordained women before the US was a country) doesn't mean I can't refuse to make compromises on such things in the present.

This might surprise you a little since this isn't a non-negotiable issue for me (if it were I wouldn't be Catholic!), but I'm actually very proud that my alma mater, Boston University School of Theology, produced some of the first women ministers in the American Wesleyan tradition.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 03:14:11 PM »

Open question.

If the ordination of women isn't a deal breaker for those who otherwise believe in equality, why is that specific concession made?

In my case it was because the non-RC options that are near me had issues with them that were even bigger poison pills (I don't think I've ever said this on the forum before, but for me the last straw with the Episcopal Church wasn't any of the Having of Sex chestnuts the Ordinariate people tend to complain about but the fact that my local parish stopped saying the Nicene Creed during its services!), and secondarily because (sorry BRTD) I have a family background and intuitive familiarity with Catholicism in a way that I just don't with the other liturgical traditions. If I had moved permanently to Boston with its beautiful old egalitarian-but-small-t-traditional Anglo-Catholic parishes then I might very well still be an Episcopalian to this day.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 04:19:26 PM »

The feminist position is to seek the destruction of organized religion, not to try to get equality within it, since organized religion as an institution is inherently and inseparably designed in such a way as to subjugate women into sub-human roles in society.

Do you have a working definition of "organized religion" that one might use to assess this allegation?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies