Feminism and the ordination of women as priestesses and ministers. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:10:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Feminism and the ordination of women as priestesses and ministers. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Feminism and the ordination of women as priestesses and ministers.  (Read 3579 times)
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« on: December 28, 2020, 12:54:13 PM »

The ordination of women is a theological impossibility as most recently infallibility declared by St. John Paul II. I do think it is odd to use this as the canon to determine the the truth of any particular religion. It would seem to me that a religion is proved or disproved long before we get into the social fault lines du jour.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 12:16:25 PM »

I’d be interested in hearing the opinion of those who follow the internal affairs of the Catholic Church closely as to how likely they think it is that the Church will in the foreseeable future (or ever) permit the ordination of women. More and more Protestant denominations have been doing so, but my guess for the Catholic Church would be “not very likely”.

It will never happen. John Paul II, Benedict XVI, and now Francis have all infallibly taught the ordination of women is an impossibility.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 06:34:05 PM »

It's always struck me as pretty bizarre when people who aren't conservative have called me narrow-minded for having this as an absolute deal breaker (if not allowed) on ever belonging to a church.

Serious question: would you then not be Christian until contemporary times? I'm not aware, nor is a precursory research, of any form of Christianity that would have ordained women until very recently. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but Christianity seems central to your identity. I'm just curious how you would reconcile the historical lack of the practice with this ultimatum.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 01:04:09 AM »

It's always struck me as pretty bizarre when people who aren't conservative have called me narrow-minded for having this as an absolute deal breaker (if not allowed) on ever belonging to a church.

Serious question: would you then not be Christian until contemporary times? I'm not aware, nor is a precursory research, of any form of Christianity that would have ordained women until very recently. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but Christianity seems central to your identity. I'm just curious how you would reconcile the historical lack of the practice with this ultimatum.

Not to answer for him, but an historic lack of female representation in secular institutions throughout history would not excuse that today. It's easy to reconcile support for democratic institutions today while recognising the historical lack of or disenfranchisment of women in those same institutions.

I suppose? There still seems a contradiction in that Christianity would not be worth of belief as recently as one hundred years ago but also affirming it now, which, I assume, includes belief that he practices the faith established by Christ, if the practice of the early Church fails to meet that ultimatum.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 01:13:38 AM »

I’d be interested in hearing the opinion of those who follow the internal affairs of the Catholic Church closely as to how likely they think it is that the Church will in the foreseeable future (or ever) permit the ordination of women. More and more Protestant denominations have been doing so, but my guess for the Catholic Church would be “not very likely”.

It will never happen. John Paul II, Benedict XVI, and now Francis have all infallibly taught the ordination of women is an impossibility.

But there is some dispute among otherwise orthodox theologians about the infallibility of Ordinatio sacerdotalis, in a way that there is not about, say, the infallibility of the teachings against abortion and euthanasia in Evangelium vitae.

I mean, the CDF asserted it was an exercise of the ordinary magisterium. http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_19951028_dubium-ordinatio-sac_en.html. There doesn't seem to be much wiggle-room on the topic. I will confess to also not understanding it whatever, but if it is then it must be.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies