Feminism and the ordination of women as priestesses and ministers. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:01:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Feminism and the ordination of women as priestesses and ministers. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Feminism and the ordination of women as priestesses and ministers.  (Read 3568 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: December 26, 2020, 03:09:06 PM »

I refuse under any circumstances whatsoever to belong to any church that does not permit the ordination of women.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 03:30:04 PM »

I refuse under any circumstances whatsoever to belong to any church that does not permit the ordination of women.

How do you square that with the Bible?

Any writings on this in the Bible were written very specifically to certain cases in certain churches and the main concern was that women at the time were not as educated. It's obsolete today.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 06:07:53 PM »

It's always struck me as pretty bizarre when people who aren't conservative have called me narrow-minded for having this as an absolute deal breaker (if not allowed) on ever belonging to a church.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 02:38:09 AM »

It's always struck me as pretty bizarre when people who aren't conservative have called me narrow-minded for having this as an absolute deal breaker (if not allowed) on ever belonging to a church.

Serious question: would you then not be Christian until contemporary times? I'm not aware, nor is a precursory research, of any form of Christianity that would have ordained women until very recently. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but Christianity seems central to your identity. I'm just curious how you would reconcile the historical lack of the practice with this ultimatum.
The fact that I might have to make compromises on such a thing in the past (although in America some Congregationalist churches have ordained women before the US was a country) doesn't mean I can't refuse to make compromises on such things in the present.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 02:01:04 PM »

Open question.

If the ordination of women isn't a deal breaker for those who otherwise believe in equality, why is that specific concession made?

At the cost of sounding like an edgy atheist, wouldn't the answer be: "Because God says so"?

Of course there is ample disagreement among Christian denominations about that point, but denominations who do believe women can't be ordained believe that it is because of that in some way.

Yeah but if you don't agree with those denominations, then you're making a concession. So why is one willing to? I'm not.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 02:41:32 PM »

Open question.

If the ordination of women isn't a deal breaker for those who otherwise believe in equality, why is that specific concession made?

At the cost of sounding like an edgy atheist, wouldn't the answer be: "Because God says so"?

Of course there is ample disagreement among Christian denominations about that point, but denominations who do believe women can't be ordained believe that it is because of that in some way.

Yeah but if you don't agree with those denominations, then you're making a concession. So why is one willing to? I'm not.

I mean yes, but that's why you don't agree with those denominations Tongue

Trying to explain myself better, if you truly believe that say, the Roman Catholic church is the one true way to interpret Christianity and the "correct" denomination; then you will believe that women should not be ordained period; because "God says so" (and I guess in Catholicism's particular example, "the Pope says so")

You may not like the decision, perhaps think it is wrong, but I assume that because it is a divine mandate, it trumps whatever your opinion is. Because it is a command from God. I don't think anyone would view it as a concession. Or if you do believe that it is a concession, then you'll suck it up because that's what Catholics do. Of course, contradictions like that can and probably do put people in a path towards questioning Church teachings, which often ends with the person in question either leaving the church alltogether or changing denominations.

Yeah but the question would apply more to people who DON'T believe that the Roman Catholic Church is the one true way to interpret Christianity or the "correct" denomination. Because if it was, it couldn't be wrong on women's ordination. And if you believe that it is not and that it's wrong on women's ordination and that God is OK with it...then why remain? And that "cultural" stuff that I constantly mock because I honestly am just completely incapable of wrapping my mind around it doesn't strike me as a valid excuse, especially if you believe the church teachings against go against the will of God (not just on this but also on LGBT issues.)

I mean I can totally understand being willing to compromise on some issues because basically everyone has to be if they belong to a church, but who can lead the church doesn't strike me as one that it's minor enough to.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies