Answer the previous poster's question. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:14:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Answer the previous poster's question. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Answer the previous poster's question.  (Read 4606 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: July 27, 2021, 10:10:01 AM »

I very much doubt that the universe has no absolutes, and thus is meaningless, thereby tempting one  to down into the "absurdist" rabbit hole, but I am not sure. Assuming it is true that there are absolutes, I am quite sure that I don't know for sure what those absolutes are, and certainly don't know their parameters, but I don't find seeking such absolutes to be a very productive exercise for me. I live my life based on parsing the probabilities, and what, for whatever reason gives my life meaning, and comports with my own ethical compass. I feel no need to try to escape from the absurdist paradox or dilemma. Indeed, uncertainty is a necessary element of giving my life meaning. The journey is the thing for me. And sometimes, when I do reach a destination, I feel a sense of letdown. In that sense I am, and always will be, a seeker.

"In the shade I lie and ponder while the sun's rays beat up yonder
I shall seek valleys enchanted, I shall find lakes that are haunted
Heat, cold wind, sun or rain, a wanderer I shall remain.
My one wish is that I may wander the world till I die."

My parents used to sing that song together by the campfire out in the desert. I shall never forget.

What is the relationship between dreams (while sleeping) and creativity?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 03:08:56 PM »

I very much doubt that the universe has no absolutes, and thus is meaningless, thereby tempting one  to down into the "absurdist" rabbit hole, but I am not sure. Assuming it is true that there are absolutes, I am quite sure that I don't know for sure what those absolutes are, and certainly don't know their parameters, but I don't find seeking such absolutes to be a very productive exercise for me. I live my life based on parsing the probabilities, and what, for whatever reason gives my life meaning, and comports with my own ethical compass. I feel no need to try to escape from the absurdist paradox or dilemma. Indeed, uncertainty is a necessary element of giving my life meaning. The journey is the thing for me. And sometimes, when I do reach a destination, I feel a sense of letdown. In that sense I am, and always will be, a seeker.

It's funny you mention absurdism, because that basically is my philosophy. It's most commonly associated with Camus, but it has its roots in Kierkegaardan thought. To Kierkegaard, embracing the absurd meant making that "leap of faith" and accepting Christianity and its miracles (miracles themselves being absurd almost by definition). We embrace the absurd in other ways, like the ones you mentioned. Unlike Mr. Camus, however, I cannot imagine Sisyphus happy. His journey is not much of a journey at all, as it comes to no meaningful resolution even after great struggle.

But this discussion is better suited to its own thread. Tongue

[skip me and answer Torie's question]

Indeed, and philosophical abstractions are admittedly not a forte of this particular legal mind. Journeys however need not necessarily involve retracing one's steps, and certainly have not been in my case. Perhaps you have noticed some evolution during the time we have "known" each other. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies