Answer the previous poster's question. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:03:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Answer the previous poster's question. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Answer the previous poster's question.  (Read 4605 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: December 27, 2020, 07:27:02 PM »

Yes, he's pretty indispensable to a number of humanities fields.

Was Ludwig Wittgenstein autistic?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 04:32:20 PM »

The latter. And it's not an argument entirely without merit, because laws not concerning morality were to be fulfilled in the Second Covenant.

Is it possible to believe that non-human animals have a right to humane treatment without elevating animals to the same status as humans? Can non-humans have any rights?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 09:26:15 AM »

Assuming you are referring to ancient war gods and goddesses, in paganism, I don't see why not? Is it a popular belief? I'm not pagan, but I would hazard a guess that veneration of war deities is mainly reserved for Varg-type pagans - people who celebrate war for war's sake as part of their warped ideology and toxic spirituality - and not the peaceful ones. (Catholics and Anglicans have patron saints for people at war, and of course Christians venerate Archangel Michael, but I don't think that's what you're referring to.)

Is the universe fundamentally devoid of absolutes?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 11:35:23 AM »

I very much doubt that the universe has no absolutes, and thus is meaningless, thereby tempting one  to down into the "absurdist" rabbit hole, but I am not sure. Assuming it is true that there are absolutes, I am quite sure that I don't know for sure what those absolutes are, and certainly don't know their parameters, but I don't find seeking such absolutes to be a very productive exercise for me. I live my life based on parsing the probabilities, and what, for whatever reason gives my life meaning, and comports with my own ethical compass. I feel no need to try to escape from the absurdist paradox or dilemma. Indeed, uncertainty is a necessary element of giving my life meaning. The journey is the thing for me. And sometimes, when I do reach a destination, I feel a sense of letdown. In that sense I am, and always will be, a seeker.

It's funny you mention absurdism, because that basically is my philosophy. It's most commonly associated with Camus, but it has its roots in Kierkegaardan thought. To Kierkegaard, embracing the absurd meant making that "leap of faith" and accepting Christianity and its miracles (miracles themselves being absurd almost by definition). We embrace the absurd in other ways, like the ones you mentioned. Unlike Mr. Camus, however, I cannot imagine Sisyphus happy. His journey is not much of a journey at all, as it comes to no meaningful resolution even after great struggle.

But this discussion is better suited to its own thread. Tongue

[skip me and answer Torie's question]
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 02:56:19 PM »

The latter. Ricky Gervais likes to hear himself talk.

A man takes a bullet for a complete stranger during a robbery. If the man decided to sacrifice himself for the stranger based on his beliefs, and his beliefs are not under his direct control, does the man really have free will?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies