Answer the previous poster's question.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:32:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Answer the previous poster's question.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Answer the previous poster's question.  (Read 4551 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2021, 03:00:55 PM »

I don't believe in an afterlife but when I did, I wasn't sure if it would have animals. It seemed heterodox, but it's more fun that way. If God could make Heaven however He liked, maybe He'd like a vast natural habitat for all the creatures who ever lived.

Q: Do people have free will? Is it consistent with an atheistic material universe or a universe designed by an omnipotent God?

People have more power than they realize. That doesn't mean that determinism is false.
 It is hard for me to believe in free will, because it is too abstract.
Do you think people can have a psychic sixth sense? If so can they use dreams to predict the future?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2021, 04:32:40 PM »

Do you think people can have a psychic sixth sense? If so can they use dreams to predict the future?

No.

Do you think that anyone deserves eternal damnation in Hell?

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2021, 06:10:20 PM »

No.

Do you think that anyone deserves eternal damnation in Hell?

Yes.

Does everything matter, or nothing?
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2021, 06:41:10 PM »

Does everything matter, or nothing?

The etymological root of "matter" is the Latin "mater". Everything that we know constitutes our celestial Mother.

Is there any theological space in the present age for the veneration of war deities?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2021, 09:26:15 AM »

Assuming you are referring to ancient war gods and goddesses, in paganism, I don't see why not? Is it a popular belief? I'm not pagan, but I would hazard a guess that veneration of war deities is mainly reserved for Varg-type pagans - people who celebrate war for war's sake as part of their warped ideology and toxic spirituality - and not the peaceful ones. (Catholics and Anglicans have patron saints for people at war, and of course Christians venerate Archangel Michael, but I don't think that's what you're referring to.)

Is the universe fundamentally devoid of absolutes?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2021, 10:10:01 AM »

I very much doubt that the universe has no absolutes, and thus is meaningless, thereby tempting one  to down into the "absurdist" rabbit hole, but I am not sure. Assuming it is true that there are absolutes, I am quite sure that I don't know for sure what those absolutes are, and certainly don't know their parameters, but I don't find seeking such absolutes to be a very productive exercise for me. I live my life based on parsing the probabilities, and what, for whatever reason gives my life meaning, and comports with my own ethical compass. I feel no need to try to escape from the absurdist paradox or dilemma. Indeed, uncertainty is a necessary element of giving my life meaning. The journey is the thing for me. And sometimes, when I do reach a destination, I feel a sense of letdown. In that sense I am, and always will be, a seeker.

"In the shade I lie and ponder while the sun's rays beat up yonder
I shall seek valleys enchanted, I shall find lakes that are haunted
Heat, cold wind, sun or rain, a wanderer I shall remain.
My one wish is that I may wander the world till I die."

My parents used to sing that song together by the campfire out in the desert. I shall never forget.

What is the relationship between dreams (while sleeping) and creativity?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2021, 11:35:23 AM »

I very much doubt that the universe has no absolutes, and thus is meaningless, thereby tempting one  to down into the "absurdist" rabbit hole, but I am not sure. Assuming it is true that there are absolutes, I am quite sure that I don't know for sure what those absolutes are, and certainly don't know their parameters, but I don't find seeking such absolutes to be a very productive exercise for me. I live my life based on parsing the probabilities, and what, for whatever reason gives my life meaning, and comports with my own ethical compass. I feel no need to try to escape from the absurdist paradox or dilemma. Indeed, uncertainty is a necessary element of giving my life meaning. The journey is the thing for me. And sometimes, when I do reach a destination, I feel a sense of letdown. In that sense I am, and always will be, a seeker.

It's funny you mention absurdism, because that basically is my philosophy. It's most commonly associated with Camus, but it has its roots in Kierkegaardan thought. To Kierkegaard, embracing the absurd meant making that "leap of faith" and accepting Christianity and its miracles (miracles themselves being absurd almost by definition). We embrace the absurd in other ways, like the ones you mentioned. Unlike Mr. Camus, however, I cannot imagine Sisyphus happy. His journey is not much of a journey at all, as it comes to no meaningful resolution even after great struggle.

But this discussion is better suited to its own thread. Tongue

[skip me and answer Torie's question]
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2021, 03:08:56 PM »

I very much doubt that the universe has no absolutes, and thus is meaningless, thereby tempting one  to down into the "absurdist" rabbit hole, but I am not sure. Assuming it is true that there are absolutes, I am quite sure that I don't know for sure what those absolutes are, and certainly don't know their parameters, but I don't find seeking such absolutes to be a very productive exercise for me. I live my life based on parsing the probabilities, and what, for whatever reason gives my life meaning, and comports with my own ethical compass. I feel no need to try to escape from the absurdist paradox or dilemma. Indeed, uncertainty is a necessary element of giving my life meaning. The journey is the thing for me. And sometimes, when I do reach a destination, I feel a sense of letdown. In that sense I am, and always will be, a seeker.

It's funny you mention absurdism, because that basically is my philosophy. It's most commonly associated with Camus, but it has its roots in Kierkegaardan thought. To Kierkegaard, embracing the absurd meant making that "leap of faith" and accepting Christianity and its miracles (miracles themselves being absurd almost by definition). We embrace the absurd in other ways, like the ones you mentioned. Unlike Mr. Camus, however, I cannot imagine Sisyphus happy. His journey is not much of a journey at all, as it comes to no meaningful resolution even after great struggle.

But this discussion is better suited to its own thread. Tongue

[skip me and answer Torie's question]

Indeed, and philosophical abstractions are admittedly not a forte of this particular legal mind. Journeys however need not necessarily involve retracing one's steps, and certainly have not been in my case. Perhaps you have noticed some evolution during the time we have "known" each other. Smiley
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2021, 09:25:36 AM »

What is the relationship between dreams (while sleeping) and creativity?

I think that dreams can often be a reflection of the subconscious, so a creative individual may have more elaborate and creative dreams. And often creative people may use their dreams to express their creativity through art.

My question: To what extent does consumer ethics apply? Should individuals try and limit their red meat consumption due to environmental concerns? Should a liberal-minded person avoid buying from Amazon because of how they treat their workers? Is it ethical to pay for Chris Brown’s music?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2021, 03:20:26 PM »

My question: To what extent does consumer ethics apply? Should individuals try and limit their red meat consumption due to environmental concerns? Should a liberal-minded person avoid buying from Amazon because of how they treat their workers? Is it ethical to pay for Chris Brown’s music?

It depends on who you ask and what the issue is. I personally think curtailing red meat consumption (and all meat consumption) is a good choice, ethically, environmentally and from a health perspective, but I am a hypocrite and fraud, because I love nonvegetarian food so much that I will continue eating it no matter what. And while I don't necessarily have qualms about how Amazon treats it employees, even if I did, Amazon is a must and it's simply impractical to stop using it as a silent protest. It will change nothing about how they treat their employees but just make my life harder.

My questions are this for those who support unconditionally banning the death penalty: Why do you support banning the death penalty? Do you not think a single crime is so bad someone deserves to die for committing it?
My questions are this for those who don't support unconditionally banning the death penalty: Why do you support the death penalty? What justification is there for it? In what all scenarios is it acceptable to use the death penalty?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2021, 12:05:46 PM »

My questions are this for those who support unconditionally banning the death penalty: Why do you support banning the death penalty? Do you not think a single crime is so bad someone deserves to die for committing it?

If someone is falsely convicted of a crime and is sentenced to life in prison, if we find out 10 years later that they were innocent, they can be freed and given financial compsensation.

If someone is falsely convicted of a crime and sentenced to death, and we find out 10 years later that they were innocent... they're dead, so we can't give them compensation.

Basically, we can't undo an execution. The risk of execution an innocent person is always going to be too high. Even if 1 person out of 1,000,000 is wrongfully executed, that's still too high.

My question: what would your ideal afterlife system look like?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2021, 01:28:24 PM »

Q... "My question: what would your ideal afterlife system look like?"
I think it would look a lot like my ideal world in this life... no disease.. no mental illness..
...no crime... no war etc.
Although if there is an afterlife and it is anything like this life, the fear of death would be gone, nobody would die... I think that is what we should strive for in this life, however.
(to prolong life in a healthy body as long as possible, although it may be doubtful that we could achieve immortality in this life)

My question:

How would you define "Biblical literalism" and what is your opinion of it?

(also you could comment on the contradictions in the Bible if it is taken too literally)
James Monroe

« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2021, 02:17:14 PM »

Biblical literalism, in it's definition, is a ideology which thinks all of the books are the Holy Words of the omnipresent God. We know in the States those are the people that think the universe is only 5,000 years old, that deny all scientific evidence that is not present or unacknowledged in a primitive book, whose morals include justifying rape and slavery, who literally believe in talking things. The people that are behind all this nonsense  are the most powerful people in the country, as Evangelical Fundamentalism is the name of the buck in America, a religion tide to supporting Donald Trump and his cronies.

Ricky Gervais said in The Unbelievers all babies born are atheist. Do you agree with that statement or did Gervais miss the crucial point, as in babies have no conceptual understanding of complex subject matter and though would be better describe as Apatheist?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2021, 02:56:19 PM »

The latter. Ricky Gervais likes to hear himself talk.

A man takes a bullet for a complete stranger during a robbery. If the man decided to sacrifice himself for the stranger based on his beliefs, and his beliefs are not under his direct control, does the man really have free will?
James Monroe

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2022, 01:08:24 PM »

A man takes a bullet for a complete stranger during a robbery. If the man decided to sacrifice himself for the stranger based on his beliefs, and his beliefs are not under his direct control, does the man really have free will?

Free will is an illusion that has no basis in reality. All matter of effect is determination by our natural world.

Humans are primates. Our species fall under the taxonomy of Great Apes. Christian theologies tend to bypass our family to focus on the humans species. With that all back by scientific reasoning, if you are a theist, do you believe Apes(non-Humans) go to heaven?
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2022, 06:10:59 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2022, 07:58:31 PM by LabourJersey »

Free will is an illusion that has no basis in reality. All matter of effect is determination by our natural world.

Humans are primates. Our species fall under the taxonomy of Great Apes. Christian theologies tend to bypass our family to focus on the humans species. With that all back by scientific reasoning, if you are a theist, do you believe Apes(non-Humans) go to heaven?

Humans are defined by their consciousness; humans are the only animals that have fully formed senses of self and have a true sense of our own mortality. Therefore, I believe that a living being needs a consciousness to realize God as a concept to be saved.

I don't think any non-humans are in the afterlife, but I suppose that other living beings who are fully conscious (aliens?) would be, in this scenario.

Question: Do you find the Holy Trinity to be an adequate explanation of the Christian view of God, or do you disagree?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2022, 02:28:40 PM »

I have never heard an adequate defense of a literal belief in "God in Three Persons".
I also don't see why the concept wasn't meant to be figurative like a lot of concepts in the Bible are.

Q: How do you define the term "good"?
(for example, in terms of being a good person)
James Monroe

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2022, 04:01:54 PM »

The definition of "good" can be created in your own meaning. You can be someone who thinks being a righteous good individual as just following all the society norms of your town, meaning you do not question authority, you live a life that is deemed acceptable by the people around you in life. Good can just be look as placing on the scale where it does not achieve greatness but is above the tide of mediocre or terrible. In our own unique way nobody is born with any good or bad into the universe, we just have our own conceived ways of taking the concept of good and applying to our moral standards.

Just before passing away in 1993 stand up comedian Bill Hicks contemplate the meaning of life as being just a ride, like on a rollercoaster. That the thrill of this life can be analogue to when once human goes on a amusement park ride designed by us, just traveling along a chaotic world that is superficial fast that we can not control with our perceived senses, a indifferent from the world. Do you think this is a fair description about the madness of existence itself?

"The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride." And we … kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok … But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace."
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2022, 09:58:35 PM »

I would say yes, because it is very difficult to make sense out of nonsense.

Question: Can science prove the Virgin Birth?

If you can prove this dogma, you have evidence, perhaps that Jesus was divine and Christianity hinges on this, does it not?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies