Israel General Elections || 23.03.2021 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:33:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel General Elections || 23.03.2021 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Israel General Elections || 23.03.2021  (Read 69631 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: March 31, 2021, 02:50:35 PM »

Per Jerusalem Post, Ra’am is going to back Netanyahu and will make it official on Monday
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 04:05:59 PM »

Per Jerusalem Post, Ra’am is going to back Netanyahu and will make it official on Monday

Where are you seeing this? Its not a story up on their website or on twitter.

https://m.jpost.com/israel-news/politics-and-diplomacy/bennett-to-decide-coalition-after-netanyahu-lapid-meetings-663632/amp

Sorry, I thought I included the link.  They bury the lead a bit (it comes late-ish in the article) and the announcement will be tomorrow rather than Monday.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 12:56:59 PM »

It seems there is going to be a dispute between Lapid and Bennett who ought to get the mandate from the president to form the government (partially symbolic as the rotation government allows both to form one and be first\second, partially substantial as there's fear Bennett might still try to form some right-wing government).
Meanwhile, Meretz and Labour activists (with their complete misunderstanding of politics) are starting an online campaign to get major ministries in said government. Claiming that as their combined strength equals that of Sa'ar and Bennett they ought to get the same power. Well, that it is of course ridiculous because we all know they can't be allowed to appear as if they somehow thwarted the anti-Bibi government.  

Won’t Rivlin likely give the mandate to Bennett instead of Lapid simply to increase the chances of a right-wing government? 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 08:28:07 AM »
« Edited: April 25, 2021, 08:31:21 AM by Anyone But Yang! »

It seems there is going to be a dispute between Lapid and Bennett who ought to get the mandate from the president to form the government (partially symbolic as the rotation government allows both to form one and be first\second, partially substantial as there's fear Bennett might still try to form some right-wing government).
Meanwhile, Meretz and Labour activists (with their complete misunderstanding of politics) are starting an online campaign to get major ministries in said government. Claiming that as their combined strength equals that of Sa'ar and Bennett they ought to get the same power. Well, that it is of course ridiculous because we all know they can't be allowed to appear as if they somehow thwarted the anti-Bibi government.  

Won’t Rivlin likely give the mandate to Bennett instead of Lapid simply to increase the chances of a right-wing government?  
Why will he do that?
They will have to agree beforehand between them otherwise he throws it back to the house I reckon.

I don’t know, I figured as a member of Likud, he’d be more inclined to try to either give Bennett a shot at forming a right-wing government or even force yet another election than he would to give Lapid the mandate if Netanyahu is no longer an option this time around.  I was asking b/c I assume you and Parrotguy would know better than I if this is likely to happen.  

My worry is that Likud might ultimately agree to Bennett and Netanyahu doing a rotation and that Netanyahu’s coalition partners and Gideon Sa’ar’s party might go for that as well.  I suppose a sticking point might be who goes first (Sa’ar in particular might not be on board with Netanyahu going first and the latter would presumably insist doing so).  There may be no real chance of this happening, but I wasn’t sure (hence my question).  
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 05:35:33 PM »

I think it's amazing to see how passionate can be the discussion  on whether the leader of the National (Netanyahu) or the Conservative (Bennett) parties become PM, using the Afrikaner nationalist equivalents to Likud and Yamina. In the end, this situation of endless deadlock and election repetitions is a mere symptom of some malfunction
While you for sure are one of the best posters on here, your stance on Israel is disturbing. Especially coming from a Spaniard, a country which actively denies the right to self determination to Basques and Catalans, and doesn't recognize the right to unilateral secession (Kosovo). Why are Palestinians worthy of a state while others aren't?

I think talking about Basque Country and Catalonia in relation to the situation of Israel-Palestine is mixing apples and oranges. I have no problem in discussing if Basques and Catalans have the right to self-determination (surely I stated my opinion on this subject more than once), but regardless what you may think, the population of these regions is not living under an oppressive military dictatorship, apartheid or colonial regime.Catalans and Basques are Spanish citizens enjoying full rights. I know, the Spanish government is contrary to the indy-ref, but even separatists live in a democratic state and are protected from abuse by the laws ruling for all. Trying to compare these realities with the situation of a stateless people submitted to a brutal military occupation -under an apartheid or a colonial regime- must be a joke, because otherwise I don't understand what are you trying to mean with your post.

I don't support unilateral seccession as a general rule (I'm in the opinion these processes must be negotiated), even though I admit the situation of Kosovo was special because of the blatant oppression by the Milosevic regime. These matters are complex. As for the Palestinians, rather than a separate state for them, I simply advocate they enjoy the same status of the Jewish Israelis. The fact the former are not allowed to do the same things the latter are permitted, is the most obvious evidence of the existence of an apartheid regime.  Do you think is disturbing that Palestinians are allowed to vote the government that rules over their lives?

Neither do the Palestinians Roll Eyes
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 05:04:00 PM »

According to channel 12 (caution- they've been wrong in many, many occasions) Yamina has presented an ultimatum that Shaked gets Justice (rather than Sa'ar). Bunch of gluttons.

Lapid and the left shouldn’t let them get away with overplaying their (decidedly weak) hand like that
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 07:47:44 AM »

In terms of how their communities are governed, i disagree.
How is an internal communal form of organisation directly relevant to political philosophy? The Druze then are hyper theocratic
How is it not relevant to Shas and (especially) UTJ?
Neither has an ambition to create a theocratic state, their internal constitution is besides the point

I wouldn’t put forming a theocratic authoritarian state past the Religious Zionism Party if they ever got half a chance.  Bezalel Smotrich is one of the worst apples in Bibi’s basket of deplorables. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies