Israel General Elections || 23.03.2021 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:50:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel General Elections || 23.03.2021 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Israel General Elections || 23.03.2021  (Read 69728 times)
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

« on: March 23, 2021, 06:37:17 PM »

Admittedly I am ignorant of Israeli domestic issues, but man, I am very very surprised Israel's incredible vaccine rollout didn't help bibi all that much.

It seems to me (and I could be wrong here) that roughly half the country hates Bibi and there is nothing that he could do to change their mind. The other half, while not in love with him (although he does have his cultists), see him as the only individual possible that could be Prime Minister and this is why there hasn't been a conclusive election result since 2015.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 08:32:36 PM »

Would that even be enough to change what's going on? Bibi could always offer some obvious stand-in for himself as a candidate for Prime Minister. (Or just keep running and promise to change the law to re-qualify himself if he wins, since arguably the point of the whole 2019-present political crisis is the immunity law, which Bibi wouldn't want if he weren't Prime Minister.)

The formation of New Hope seemed to offer a, well, new hope to end the crisis by convincing pro-Bibi voters over to the anti-Bibi side, but its total flameout suggests that was never going to happen. If persuasion over the course of repeated elections doesn't work, then the crisis keeps going until Likud chooses, voluntarily, to get rid of Bibi and come up with a different candidate who can convince the Yisrael Beiteinu and New Hope people to rejoin their coalition. That's probably not possible unless/until Bibi actually goes to jail.

(Kind of looking forward to Gantz taking over in November at this point.)

So, if there isn't a new government in place by November, will Gantz become caretaker Prime Minister under the previous rotation agreement? If so, that's both fantastic and hilarious!
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 06:34:07 PM »

Mandate has returned to Rivlin, and will likely pass to the Lapid-Bennett alliance.

How likely is it that the Lapid-Bennett alliance produces a government?

This. I have been hearing about the possible end to Netanyahu's premiership for years now—just make it end already!
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 10:12:19 AM »

So, Lapid's mandate expires at midnight in Israel, right? That's less than six hours away as I am typing this...is there any worry that they are not going to have a deal set in stone by that time?
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 01:57:36 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2021, 03:53:23 PM by AndyHogan14 »

I think Odeh said that there would be some Joint List support for the new government in the confidence vote (if they need it). So, there isn't too much of a risk of there is another Yamina defection.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies