Israel General Elections || 23.03.2021
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:23:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel General Elections || 23.03.2021
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40
Author Topic: Israel General Elections || 23.03.2021  (Read 69888 times)
Hnv1
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: June 06, 2021, 02:21:49 PM »
« edited: June 06, 2021, 02:26:21 PM by Hnv1 »

The new government will change the basic law to avoid the dirty trick with the budget. The initial budget structure remains the same (both sides want it so it makes sense), the 2023 budget which will be Bennett's last is a mine. Hence, if Bennett fails to pass a budget then Lapid becomes main-PM and has additional 90 days to pass one. (I have doubts about the legality of such a move considering the SC decision last month about temporary constitutional changes).
Also, if 2 MKs of New Hope\Yamina vote against the government then Lapid will become the PM for the transitional government if and when. (less than than the 12 agreed between Bibi and Gantz)

It feels again like Covid, Israel is an experiment in a modern duumvirate government, in a model that might be replicated elsewhere (Ireland already gone to a non constitutionally binding rotation). The Deweyan pragmatist in me loves the inquiry, the Israeli public law lawyer in me feels like we're in a banter country.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #926 on: June 06, 2021, 02:51:19 PM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #927 on: June 06, 2021, 03:04:05 PM »

How long would it take after he stops being PM for Bibi to be indicted, tried, and (hopefully) imprisoned?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #928 on: June 06, 2021, 03:21:08 PM »

How long would it take after he stops being PM for Bibi to be indicted, tried, and (hopefully) imprisoned?

He has already been Indicted and appeared in court. Under the present law this prevents him from holding any cabinet office but the PM. Final results and potential conviction are a ways off under this judicial and criminal investigation.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #929 on: June 06, 2021, 04:35:19 PM »

He has already been Indicted and appeared in court. Under the present law this prevents him from holding any cabinet office but the PM. Final results and potential conviction are a ways off under this judicial and criminal investigation.

Ah, thank you. For some reason I thought only his family members were being indicted and he couldn’t be indicted as long as he was prime minister.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #930 on: June 06, 2021, 09:50:25 PM »

Netanyhu went full Trump today in front of Likud MKs. He continues to try and tie this to the GOP, despite then having no power to influence the situation.

Orbach also hasn't decided, but I suspect we are heading for 60 in favor, 57-59 oppose, and enough abstentions to pass.
Who's Abbas seated next too ? any choice must be ackward.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #931 on: June 06, 2021, 10:28:03 PM »

Netanyhu went full Trump today in front of Likud MKs. He continues to try and tie this to the GOP, despite then having no power to influence the situation.

Orbach also hasn't decided, but I suspect we are heading for 60 in favor, 57-59 oppose, and enough abstentions to pass.

Merav Michaeli of Labor, though they are all distanced cause COVID. She was also a source of memes because of this photo in particular:

Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #932 on: June 06, 2021, 10:34:18 PM »

Would be an easier choice if he were in opposition. Ra'am, Shas, UTJ and Religious Zionists are four sides of the same theocratic coin. It must be a strange coin, but such is Israel.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #933 on: June 06, 2021, 10:34:43 PM »

Would be an easier choice if he were in opposition. Ra'am, Shas, UTJ and Religious Zionists are four sides of the same theocratic coin. It must be a strange coin, but such is Israel.
It's a hypercube
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #934 on: June 06, 2021, 10:36:26 PM »

Merav Michaeli of Labor, though they are all distanced cause COVID. She was also a source of memes because of this photo in particular:

Oh do link to the memes.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #935 on: June 06, 2021, 10:47:19 PM »

Oh do link to the memes.

They showed up In my twitter earlier today when the pics came out, but I couldn't find them again cause the timeline was too long. I would have linked then in that post.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #936 on: June 08, 2021, 02:33:14 AM »
« Edited: June 08, 2021, 02:36:28 AM by Hnv1 »

Special session on Sunday:
Speaker election
Confidence vote

The coalition agreements leaked yesterday (I believe by Elkin), nothing too interesting on substantial level. Labour become a pressure group for US reforms and Bar Mitzvas with a guitar. YB has an economic plan built around BOT infrastructure projects. Saar is finally going to try and split the Solicitor-general prosecutor-general roles held by the government legal counsel.

Unless Likud is planning a final hoorah where Bibi resigns and calls for snap elections for someone from Likud to form a government that’s that. They might also try to lure someone with a placement in Likud‘s lost for next time
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #937 on: June 08, 2021, 03:33:29 AM »

Orbach officially supports the government (after getting a ministry). So unless someone from Yamina defects it’s a done deal (I’m watching you Haskel)
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #938 on: June 09, 2021, 05:16:41 AM »

Ynet said that Edelstein and Barkat are intending to run for Likud leadership, is it happening?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #939 on: June 09, 2021, 06:47:40 AM »

Ynet said that Edelstein and Barkat are intending to run for Likud leadership, is it happening?
Well it’s not happening as no leadership election was set. If Bibi is ousted on Sunday I suppose he’ll push for one as fast as he can. Katz and Barkat already said they’ll run, Edelstein is popular with members (though I think he overrate that popularity), and I suppose Hanegbi/Dichter/Gallant might give it a pop as well. Gilda Ardan is the US and likely to stay there so he’s out.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #940 on: June 11, 2021, 06:31:47 AM »

No they aren't. Ra'am is not "theocratic" and neither are the religious zionists.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #941 on: June 11, 2021, 08:16:45 AM »

No they aren't. Ra'am is not "theocratic" and neither are the religious zionists.
The religious zionist are the most theocratic of the four...at least the Smotric faction influenced by Rabbi Cook and his followers Rabbi Tau and Druckman.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #942 on: June 11, 2021, 03:52:40 PM »

In terms of how their communities are governed, i disagree.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #943 on: June 11, 2021, 03:55:37 PM »

How is an internal communal form of organisation directly relevant to political philosophy? The Druze then are hyper theocratic
warandwar
United States

« Reply #944 on: June 11, 2021, 03:57:46 PM »

How is an internal communal form of organisation directly relevant to political philosophy? The Druze then are hyper theocratic
How is it not relevant to Shas and (especially) UTJ?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #945 on: June 11, 2021, 04:53:12 PM »

I assume what you mean by this is that the Haredi will follow their Rabbi's off a cliff if that is what they want...and they kinda did when Coronavirus surged in places like Bnei Brak. This of course applies to politics, with UTJ, Shas, and the concentrated community in greater NYC. If this is what you mean, it is a Haredi phenomenon.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #946 on: June 12, 2021, 01:30:31 AM »

Neither has an ambition to create a theocratic state, their internal constitution is besides the point
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #947 on: June 12, 2021, 07:47:44 AM »

Neither has an ambition to create a theocratic state, their internal constitution is besides the point

I wouldn’t put forming a theocratic authoritarian state past the Religious Zionism Party if they ever got half a chance.  Bezalel Smotrich is one of the worst apples in Bibi’s basket of deplorables. 
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #948 on: June 12, 2021, 12:04:48 PM »

I wouldn’t put forming a theocratic authoritarian state past the Religious Zionism Party if they ever got half a chance.  Bezalel Smotrich is one of the worst apples in Bibi’s basket of deplorables. 

I think what Hnv1 is saying is that Shas and UTJ aren't really interested in Israel itself being a theocracy, just in being allowed to run their own communities in a theocratic way. My understanding is that that's exactly what distinguishes them from the national religious.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #949 on: June 12, 2021, 12:49:04 PM »

No they dont, but their parties are run as theocracies, which was my point
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies