Israel General Elections || 23.03.2021
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:23:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel General Elections || 23.03.2021
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 40
Author Topic: Israel General Elections || 23.03.2021  (Read 69660 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: March 29, 2021, 08:29:15 AM »

Every left pundit under the sun is suggesting imaginary coalitions. From Benny Begin as caretaker PM, to a gang of four.

I really wish they would realize a fifth cycle is imminent instead of wasting futile efforts on this nonsense

I can only guess its because constructive negotiations have yet to break down, even though it seems inevitable. There's also the fact that Lapid may somehow be the first to try and attempt to build said coalition if Bennett refuses to recommend Bibi. Also nobody wants to tell their readers its time for round 5 immediately after round 4.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #601 on: March 31, 2021, 02:50:35 PM »

Per Jerusalem Post, Ra’am is going to back Netanyahu and will make it official on Monday
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #602 on: March 31, 2021, 03:00:47 PM »

Per Jerusalem Post, Ra’am is going to back Netanyahu and will make it official on Monday

Where are you seeing this? Its not a story up on their website or on twitter.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #603 on: March 31, 2021, 04:05:59 PM »

https://m.jpost.com/israel-news/politics-and-diplomacy/bennett-to-decide-coalition-after-netanyahu-lapid-meetings-663632/amp

Sorry, I thought I included the link.  They bury the lead a bit (it comes late-ish in the article) and the announcement will be tomorrow rather than Monday.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #604 on: March 31, 2021, 04:25:07 PM »

How would someone from 2010 react to being told that in 2021 Likud's government would be held up by the support of Abbas and the United Arab List?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #605 on: March 31, 2021, 04:32:40 PM »

https://m.jpost.com/israel-news/politics-and-diplomacy/bennett-to-decide-coalition-after-netanyahu-lapid-meetings-663632/amp

Sorry, I thought I included the link.  They bury the lead a bit (it comes late-ish in the article) and the announcement will be tomorrow rather than Monday.

If this happens... Did they just get straight cash from Netanyahu, enough to all retire and leave politics? Because I can't imagine anyone who voted for Ra'am this time ever voting for them again after propping up Netanyahu, and Ra'am is explicitly an Islamic party so can't even get Christian or Druze Arab votes, where there might be some support for Netanyahu. And I doubt the Joint List would let them back on next time around.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #606 on: March 31, 2021, 04:41:43 PM »

Sorry, I thought I included the link.  They bury the lead a bit (it comes late-ish in the article) and the announcement will be tomorrow rather than Monday.

The funny thing is that Mansour Abbas says he could change his mind in case there's a better offer from the opposite camp, but anyway there's no room for that manoeuvre since the announcement is tomorrow. So we have an Islamist kingmaker (it's not strange JPost tries to conceal that) who likes trolling and is about as despicable as their Zionist and Ultra-orthodox counterparts. Amazing developments to come in Dystopia
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #607 on: March 31, 2021, 04:53:49 PM »

If this happens... Did they just get straight cash from Netanyahu, enough to all retire and leave politics? Because I can't imagine anyone who voted for Ra'am this time ever voting for them again after propping up Netanyahu, and Ra'am is explicitly an Islamic party so can't even get Christian or Druze Arab votes, where there might be some support for Netanyahu. And I doubt the Joint List would let them back on next time around.
As I understand it, Ra'am's whole platform this election was promising to work with anyone to get into government in exchange for various policies (more public sector jobs for Arabs, that kind of thing) — they were elected by people who want them to do exactly this. On its face, propping up Netanyahu's government may be unpopular, but once we get a university and an international airport in every random Bedouin village, maybe not.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #608 on: March 31, 2021, 05:04:13 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2021, 06:33:19 PM by Oryxslayer »

Perpetual reminder that it doesn't matter if Ra'am/Abbas wants to work with Netanyahu, Smotrich and Bennett won't if they/he supports the government. The Haredim have come around in their own ways (Degel HaTorah in UTJ for instance was maneuvering yesterday) as they always would, but the National Religious have drawn their lines in the sand - because that's what their racist settler base voted them in to do - and have repeated them more than once. There's a reasonable chance then that this is just more positioning cause one can pretend Ra'am/Religious Zionists are not incompatible and then justify later moves when it officially becomes unworkable.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #609 on: March 31, 2021, 07:26:39 PM »

Technicratic government headed by jreg perhaps:p
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #610 on: April 01, 2021, 03:07:04 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2021, 04:08:17 PM by Oryxslayer »

Anyway, it looks like Jpost assumed things were to rosy for Netanyahu and ended up April Fools-ing everyone, which wouldn't be the first time. Abbas did have a big press conference today in Nazareth where he spoke in Hebrew for an Israeli audience. He however DID NOT speak about endorsing anyone nor align himself with any supposed Block. All he did was express his desire for supporting a government and changing past paradigms.

Bennett meanwhile refused to endorse Lapid (obviously coming) but so far has not expressed any desire to endorse Netanyahu either. There's an expectation he recommends himself which means nobody will have 61 when it comes to PM recommendations.

Ironically Jpost summarized today's events fairly well, though they obviously downplay the mutual incompatibility between the national Religious and Ra'am.

There is now more clarity about where this theory emerged from. There's apparently a Ra'am senior source who has said they would prefer a Likud govt because that one is theoretically more stable. Likud posses all the coercive carrots and sticks of a dominant-party system after all. They would demand founding for the Arab sector, municipality reform, and changes to the nation state law among other things. They would also demand the isolation of Ben Gvir. All in all, rather rational. The issue is that their desires are incompatible with Yamina and the rest of the Religious Zionists, so the Right-Ra'am option currently has only 50 in favor.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #611 on: April 03, 2021, 09:05:58 AM »
« Edited: April 03, 2021, 11:22:53 AM by Hnv1 »

Bibi isn’t trying to form a government. It’s a sham, he doesn’t want to be in the mercy of Bennett. He’s trying to make Ra’am up their demands so high so no one else could agree to give them what they want.

As I predicted two years ago, the presidential election is where the focus will be now. The fifth cycle is looking grim to him atm, he’ll try going in with more mustard.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #612 on: April 03, 2021, 10:38:34 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2021, 07:43:51 PM by Hash »

By the moment Mansour Abbas is crowning himself as the leader of the Palestinian citizens of Israel and possibly this Islamist counterpart is what the Jewish Israelis deserve

https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-speech-to-jewish-israel-abbas-crowns-himself-new-leader-of-countrys-arabs

Love him or hate him, Mansour Abbas has proven himself to be an adept politician. He has defied expectations at every turn: first, breaking off from the Joint List alliance rather than submit to party orders; then, running a disciplined electoral campaign that carried his party, all on its lonesome, well over the voter threshold.

Now Abbas seems poised to complete his hat trick: to make his Arab Israeli party an active player in a right-wing government. And not just any right-wing government, but one run by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is widely reviled among Arab Israelis for years of race-baiting remarks and advancing legislation denounced as discriminatory

(...)

"I, Mansour Abbas, a man of the Islamic Movement, am a proud Arab and Muslim, a citizen of the state of Israel, who heads the leading, biggest political movement in Arab society,” Abbas said, a reference to his victory over Hadash.

Odeh has ceaselessly preached the values of Arab-Jewish partnership, coexistence, equality, and mutual respect. But he has done so on terms unacceptable until now to Jewish Israeli politicians, as he refuses to compromise on invoking the Palestinian national cause. Nor would he have ever have considered sitting with Netanyahu.

But the Joint List head had to be clenching his fists while watching Thursday night’s broadcast from Nazareth. After all, if the center-left had been either as courageous or as desperate as Netanyahu may well be today, it could have been Odeh standing on that platform last year, seeking to usher in a new era in Arab-Jewish relations within the Green Line.

Bibi isn’t trying to form a government. It’s a sham, be doesn’t want to be in the mercy of Bennett. He’s trying to make Ra’am their demands so high so no one else could agree to give them what they want.

As I predicted two years ago, the presidential election is where the focus will be now. The fifth cycle is looking grim to him atm, he’ll try going in with more mustard.

I don't live there,  nor follow Israeli politics on a daily basis. I suspect, however, but even if I was an insider I'd be unable to predict the immediate future. I guess Netanyahu will do whatever is neccessary to survive and fear that your country is in a full descent into hell. I mean the real country shared by Jewish and Palestinians under a regime of apartheid, not only the ethno-state containing a despised Arab minority

jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #613 on: April 03, 2021, 11:17:41 AM »

All these haters mad because I'm so established
They know I'm a beast, yeah I'm a f**king savage
Haters you can kill yourself, uh

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #614 on: April 03, 2021, 11:20:18 PM »

Bibi isn’t trying to form a government. It’s a sham, he doesn’t want to be in the mercy of Bennett. He’s trying to make Ra’am up their demands so high so no one else could agree to give them what they want.

According to Akiva Novik, there might be a loophole in the law that allows the Speaker to get all of the President's roles and responsibilities if he doesn't hold an election before the final possible date. This could really get explosive if Levin tries that. What do you think?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #615 on: April 04, 2021, 02:11:45 AM »

According to Akiva Novik, there might be a loophole in the law that allows the Speaker to get all of the President's roles and responsibilities if he doesn't hold an election before the final possible date. This could really get explosive if Levin tries that. What do you think?

Doesn't the new Knesset get to elect a new Speaker? The 2020 Knesset elected Gantz at the start of the term, for instance. The coalition that elected Gantz as Speaker a year ago still has a majority...
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #616 on: April 04, 2021, 04:10:21 AM »
« Edited: April 04, 2021, 04:15:57 AM by Hnv1 »

That's crackpot commentary by Novik and the rest. The Basic Law is crystal clear:

5. Date of election:   
The election of the President of the State shall be held not earlier than ninety days and not later than thirty days before the expiration of the period of tenure of the President in office. If the place of the President of the State falls vacant before the expiration of his period of tenure, the election shall be held within forty-five days from the day on which such place falls vacant. The Chairman of the Knesset, in consultation with the Vice-Chairmen, shall fix the day of the election and shall notify it to all the members of the Knesset in writing at least three weeks in advance. If the day of the election does not fall in one of the session terms of the Knesset, the Chairman of the Knesset shall convene the Knesset for the election of the President of the State.

The Speaker has no discretion to simply not hold a vote. The apparent problem of consulting with the Vice-Chairmen that are non-existent is not a problem as the consultation isn't a necessary requirement for the vote, if there are no Vice-Chairmen then he should simply set the date within the time frame himself. Refusing to set an election date, and then refusing the swift SC writ to hold the vote is not a loophole. They're a coup d'etat. If Levine wants to go down this route I wouldn't treat him as caretaker President, I will have him arrested.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #617 on: April 04, 2021, 04:15:11 AM »

Doesn't the new Knesset get to elect a new Speaker? The 2020 Knesset elected Gantz at the start of the term, for instance. The coalition that elected Gantz as Speaker a year ago still has a majority...
The Basic Law is vaguer here, the Speaker of the existing Knesset continues in his role until a new one is elected, the new one can be elected at the latest before the swearing of a new government. Edelstein was an interim speaker for two Knessets. When there was a majority to oust him of 61 MKs and he refused to hold the vote the SC issued a writ which he refused to comply with leading to a little crisis, Gantz was picked as Speaker as Bibi threatened to pull the plug on the rotation negotiations if someone from YA was elected.

Levine at the time called on Edelstein to refuse even to resign and called for the Courts Police to come to Knesset (basically as usual for that total nutjob calling for a civil war). It seems he would do the same now if they would try to replace him, though I'm not sure there are 61 MKs for voting him out atm so the SC might not intervene.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #618 on: April 04, 2021, 04:43:22 AM »

The Basic Law is vaguer here, the Speaker of the existing Knesset continues in his role until a new one is elected, the new one can be elected at the latest before the swearing of a new government. Edelstein was an interim speaker for two Knessets. When there was a majority to oust him of 61 MKs and he refused to hold the vote the SC issued a writ which he refused to comply with leading to a little crisis, Gantz was picked as Speaker as Bibi threatened to pull the plug on the rotation negotiations if someone from YA was elected.

Levine at the time called on Edelstein to refuse even to resign and called for the Courts Police to come to Knesset (basically as usual for that total nutjob calling for a civil war). It seems he would do the same now if they would try to replace him, though I'm not sure there are 61 MKs for voting him out atm so the SC might not intervene.

Yeah, until Ra'am or Yamina join the anti-Bibi side there's no majority for ousting Levin.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #619 on: April 04, 2021, 06:00:13 AM »

Yeah, until Ra'am or Yamina join the anti-Bibi side there's no majority for ousting Levin.
Ra'am are not going to join the anti-Levine coalition. They have good working relationship with him and they know that if they do that then their negotiations with the right (however phony) will be over. Bibi has all his eyes on the speaker's position atm.
Now as there is no majority of the house that wants a vote, unlike last year where 61 MKs demanded in writing a vote be held, I'm not sure the SC will intervene. If Yamina joins this move it will be very much later on towards June, as like Ra'am removing Levine will end negotiations with Likud.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #620 on: April 05, 2021, 03:06:55 AM »

The president flat out says he sees no way of forming a government, alas he has to give to mandate to someone at least once. He did hint he'll use value judgments in the process.

Akonis (Likud) told him no single-digit party leader got the mandate, that is false. Rozen got the mandate in 1951 with 4 seats, granted with a different basic law where the person with mandate didn't have to lead the government.

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #621 on: April 05, 2021, 03:13:43 AM »

Gantz will recommend Lapid. Joint List won't recommend anyone, ensuring Netanyahu has the highest number of recommendations. Joke party- the Arab public is justified in voting for representatives who are willing to work with zionist parties to achieve results.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #622 on: April 05, 2021, 03:20:26 AM »

I feel a massive upset in the cards for everyone. Fits the rag-president we have with his corrupt history.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #623 on: April 05, 2021, 03:25:13 AM »

I feel a massive upset in the cards for everyone. Fits the rag-president we have with his corrupt history.

What do you mean?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #624 on: April 05, 2021, 03:56:49 AM »

What do you mean?
In what part? The first, well I feel he might not give the mandate to either Bibi or Lapid, something unexpected. Or give it to Bibi with a soft condemnation.

As to the second, you can research his purgery in the Deri'i trial or his relations to David Appel
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies