2020-21 NHL Season
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:55:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2020-21 NHL Season
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: 2020-21 NHL Season  (Read 5602 times)
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2020, 09:38:10 PM »

The COVID-shortened NHL season is set to begin on January 13th with a 56-game regular season that will end on May 8th. As a result of the Canada-US Border being closed to nonessential travel, the divisions have been temporarily realigned.

The top 4 teams in each division will make the playoffs.

Teams are currently set to play in their own arenas (likely with either no fans or very limited amount of fans allowed), but could move to at least one neutral hub per realigned division should conditions change.

2020-21 Division Realignment:
  • East: Boston Bruins, Buffalo Sabres, New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals.
  • Central: Carolina Hurricanes, Chicago Blackhawks, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Detroit Red Wings, Florida Panthers, Nashville Predators and Tampa Bay Lightning.
  • West: Anaheim Ducks, Arizona Coyotes, Colorado Avalanche, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota Wild, San Jose Sharks, St. Louis Blues and Vegas Golden Knights.
  • North (Canadian): Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Montreal Canadiens, Ottawa Senators, Toronto Maple Leafs, Vancouver Canucks and Winnipeg Jets.

2019-20 Thread: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=337626.0
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 02:08:09 AM »

Colorado Avalanche and Vegas Golden Knights should be power houses in the West.

Tampa Bay Lightning should do very well in the East if they can get under the salary cap without losing Sergachev. Even then, they'll probably be a top team. Washington, Carolina, Philadelphia and the Islanders will be some of the better East teams.

Expect the Pittsburgh Penguins to decline and the Toronto Maple Leafs to do well in the regular season but collapse in the playoffs.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 03:10:53 PM »

I'm shocked they're playing.  This league depends on in person fans for $$$.  That said, I'm glad as a fan they are playing.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 01:43:31 AM »

What if the playoffs come and Canada still hasn't opened the border (which seems likely at this point)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 11:22:30 AM »

The COVID-shortened NHL season is set to begin on January 13th with a 56-game regular season that will end on May 8th. As a result of the Canada-US Border being closed to nonessential travel, the divisions have been temporarily realigned.

The top 4 teams in each division will make the playoffs.

Teams are currently set to play in their own arenas (likely with either no fans or very limited amount of fans allowed), but could move to at least one neutral hub per realigned division should conditions change.

2020-21 Division Realignment:
  • East: Boston Bruins, Buffalo Sabres, New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals.
  • Central: Carolina Hurricanes, Chicago Blackhawks, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Detroit Red Wings, Florida Panthers, Nashville Predators and Tampa Bay Lightning.
  • West: Anaheim Ducks, Arizona Coyotes, Colorado Avalanche, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota Wild, San Jose Sharks, St. Louis Blues and Vegas Golden Knights.
  • North (Canadian): Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Montreal Canadiens, Ottawa Senators, Toronto Maple Leafs, Vancouver Canucks and Winnipeg Jets.

2019-20 Thread: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=337626.0
Who cares.
You cared enough to sh**t post in the thread.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 02:47:14 AM »

A key hurdle has been cleared for the NHL season to begin, as the league and provincial governments have reached an agreement allowing all 7 Canadian teams to play at their own home rinks.

CBC.ca:
The NHL says it believes it has an agreement with provincial governments on the conditions for its Canadian teams to play out the 2021 season from their home markets.

"On the basis of our discussions in the past week, as well as our exchange of correspondence over the last 24 hours, we believe we are aligned and in agreement on the conditions on which each of our Canadian franchises can begin play in their own buildings for the start of the 2020-21 NHL season,'' deputy commissioner Bill Daly said on Thursday.

CBC News has confirmed the statement, as first reported by Pierre LeBrun of The Athletic.

The seven Canadian teams will be grouped in one division and only play each other for the duration of the 56-game schedule, which is slated to begin Jan. 13.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2020, 11:17:46 AM »

Some people like hockey, some don't. If you don't give a s__t, then don't click on the thread, amd don't post. I get that you're miserable on Christmas, but you can go be a grinch somewhere else.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 11:39:23 AM »

I am so so disappointed they separated Pittsburgh and Columbus in two different divisions. I really hope they were verse that. That was turning into a really cool rivalry
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 01:24:10 PM »

I am so so disappointed they separated Pittsburgh and Columbus in two different divisions. I really hope they were verse that. That was turning into a really cool rivalry

Feel the same too, except with the separation of the Blues and Blackhawks (and the Predators, Stars, and even the Red Wings to some extent) and the separation of the Bruins and Canadiens (necessitated by the closure of the US/Canada Border to nonessential travel). Thankfully, the Pens-Flyers and Pens-Caps rivalries were spared.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 07:09:02 PM »

Feel the same too, except with the separation of the Blues and Blackhawks (and the Predators, Stars, and even the Red Wings to some extent) and the separation of the Bruins and Canadiens (necessitated by the closure of the US/Canada Border to nonessential travel). Thankfully, the Pens-Flyers and Pens-Caps rivalries were spared.

True, but I don't see any conceivable way that could have been done geographically or otherwise. I really hope they go back to the old divisions line up once covid passes
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 01:19:15 AM »

Aren't these just non-permanent COVID divisions?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2020, 03:10:09 PM »

Finally, some hockey news.

Arizona trades Stepan to Ottawa for a 2021 2nd round pick. Nobody wants to take on salary cap right now or pay assets for players without sending salary back, so Ottawa got Stepan for a steal essentially. Really stupid move by Arizona IMO. Stepan is in the last year of his deal, but you could probably get a 2nd rounder for him or better at the trade deadline. Especially if you retained salary. Looks like one of those moves teams make where they save a few bucks but the team gets worse, because the owner is focused on money instead of hockey. They only saved $2 million, and they have to replace him on the roster which is $900,000 minimum. So Arizona loses their best center to save a whopping $1.1 million.

PK Subban in hot water for attending large family Christmas dinner. Different family members from different households all getting together for Christmas to eat (masking impossible), some of them older folks. He shared pictures on social media, which was REALLY stupid of him to do.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 02:18:12 PM »

The new, temporary divisions are OK. But why is Dallas in the Central then and St. Louis in the West?
That's really my only beef.

Hopefully the Preds can turn it around this year, but seems like the chemistry was missing last few years...maybe the right changes were made to fix that hopefully but it's a tough division.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2021, 05:35:02 PM »

Blackhawks lose Toews, Dach, and Nylander basically for the whole season. They still have the greatest American hockey player of all times still in his prime (towards the tail end) and are going to be absolute butt. Stan Bowman had the best hockey dynasty this century and the best Blackhawks of all time and completely wasted it all away these past 5 years. They'll honestly be lucky if they make the playoffs again while Patrick Kane is still on the team. What a shame.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2021, 10:09:39 PM »

Blackhawks lose Toews, Dach, and Nylander basically for the whole season. They still have the greatest American hockey player of all times still in his prime (towards the tail end) and are going to be absolute butt. Stan Bowman had the best hockey dynasty this century and the best Blackhawks of all time and completely wasted it all away these past 5 years. They'll honestly be lucky if they make the playoffs again while Patrick Kane is still on the team. What a shame.
I remember sitting in a hotel bar in Bolingbrook Ill, wearing a hideous bridesmaid dress watching the Blackhawks beat the flyers in 2010, I snuck out of the reception.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2021, 12:52:02 AM »

The new, temporary divisions are OK. But why is Dallas in the Central then and St. Louis in the West?
That's really my only beef.

Hopefully the Preds can turn it around this year, but seems like the chemistry was missing last few years...maybe the right changes were made to fix that hopefully but it's a tough division.

Agree with you on why STL being in the West is an insult to their fanbase, as we won't be playing our three traditional rivals Chicago, Detroit, and Nashville.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2021, 08:18:57 PM »

Zdeno Chara signs with the Washington Capitals!  0_0
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2021, 02:38:18 PM »

Jared Spurgeon is the new captain of the Minnesota Wild.

Ottawa Senators confirmed to have no captain this year.

John Marino signs a 6 year extension with Pittsburgh.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2021, 12:31:02 AM »

Much like Cleveland vs. Pittsburgh.

Is Columbus competitive this year?
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2021, 05:55:43 AM »

Who's ready for the NHL season to begin later today?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2021, 12:56:39 PM »

I am for sure.  Starting off against Filthadelphia is a good way to begin!
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2021, 02:09:18 PM »

I am for sure.  Starting off against Filthadelphia is a good way to begin!

Be careful what you wish for!
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2021, 03:00:03 PM »

Pretty much no. The only thing about the Hawks that will be worth watching is the greatest American hockey player of all time, Patrick Kane. Otherwise this is going to be an absolute butt-dumpster fire of a team with a laughing stock of a coach built by a completely incompetent GM and president. Its probably a good thing that my tv provider refuses to reach a deal with the channel that the Hawks are on. But what a sad state of affairs for a team that used to be the most fun one in the league. What a waste to the prime years of Patrick Kane's career.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2021, 05:35:12 PM »

I drafted my fantasy team last night, 11th pick, I couldn't buy a decent draft position in any sport.  Cry
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2021, 08:55:10 PM »

I remember sitting in a hotel bar in Bolingbrook Ill, wearing a hideous bridesmaid dress watching the Blackhawks beat the flyers in 2010, I snuck out of the reception.

If I wasn't already married....Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies