Can blacks be racist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:25:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Can blacks be racist?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Can blacks be racist?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 145

Author Topic: Can blacks be racist?  (Read 3668 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2020, 01:04:13 PM »

Some persons of my party said to me that blacks cannot be anti-racist because the systematic repression of other colours is always of white origin, and he got a lot of likes for it. I have said and stated numerous times that this is not true. I've said we're both anti-racists but I do not think his reasoning is correct or that his approach will work and will only feed racism (reactive racism in this case). I've mentioned the example of South Africa (of course as a reaction to white supremacy before the 1990's). Of course, in practice white racism and white supremacism will be far more prevalent. But I do not think they are correct, and because of it, i will likely leave the youth organisation of PVDA permanently because I think they're too radical on that, and refuse to acknowledge that anti-racism can have racist roots too, by saying that all whites or all flemish people are racist, which I can not tolerate.

Debate?

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 01:22:14 PM »

rac·ism
/ˈrāˌsizəm/
noun
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

Unless you want to redefine the word, yes, of course black people can be racist.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 01:25:11 PM »

Yes.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 01:25:51 PM »

Yes. Woke types often assert that racism is only prejudice + power, but the idea that elite corporate blacks in America have no power is absurd. Still, it's silly to insist that a poor black person making an off-color joke about white people is inflicting racism or something.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 01:28:26 PM »

Yes. Most black people obviously have less power to harm people by being racist than most white people do, but the idea that black people can't be racist relies on an ideologized personal-dictionary definition of racism that normal people find utterly baffling.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 03:42:38 PM »

Pleasantly surprised by Atlas' response to this so far.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 04:06:35 PM »

Yes.

But with with far less social consequences and minimal to non existent institutional consequences.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 05:01:35 PM »

Yes, and this can also include in both cases where black people are being racist against other groups AND cases where black people are being racist against their own.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 05:09:57 PM »

According to Bruce Willis in Die Hard with a Vengeance this is indeed the case. But that was just some movie.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 09:30:00 PM »

Yes.  I don’t see anyone arguing otherwise.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2020, 02:10:36 AM »

lol.
wimp
themiddleman
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 06:07:22 AM »

rac·ism
/ˈrāˌsizəm/
noun
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

Unless you want to redefine the word, yes, of course black people can be racist.

isn't "prejudice + power" the new woke definition?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2020, 11:13:07 AM »

Obviously, for example see Uncle Ruckus and Candace Owens
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2020, 11:44:11 AM »

Absolutely. Just like women can be sexist.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2020, 01:04:31 PM »

Depends. Generally yes but people who insist that “saying negative stuff against white people” is racism are wrong with their “reversal racism” talk and mistake the response of the oppressed with the violence of the oppressor.

Kinda like if I criticized USSR and the West for being too violent against Hitler. Like, you really don’t see where the response is coming from?

But racism is inherent to everyone yes, it’s the belief your race group has some supremacy over others or is entitled to more privileges.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2020, 02:00:56 PM »

South Africa is typing...
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2020, 06:30:56 PM »

Yes.

But with with far less social consequences and minimal to non existent institutional consequences.
This caveat assumes black people are the minority in a given state, and that the smaller s minority is, the harder it is for it to be racist. Also, the smaller the majority is, then, the less racist it can be.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2020, 06:33:45 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2020, 06:39:30 PM by Atlanta 1997 World Champs »

Black people don't have the power + privilege

Black people are very prejudiced and bigoted towards other groups however, very prejudiced towards whites and Asians, despite being upset about segregated neighborhoods/schools, etc.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2020, 06:42:22 PM »

Of all the people to trot out the elite-university-diversity-consultant personal-dictionary definition of racism and end the unanimity in this thread, I wouldn't have expected bronz. Masterclass in Atlas trolling.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2020, 07:20:43 PM »

bronz are you telling me you broke the immaculateness of the poll by voting No because in your book "very prejudiced and bigoted towards other racial groups" somehow is not a synonym of "racist"?
That's a doubly grave offense.

Racism is about power, isn't it?
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2020, 07:44:28 AM »

Do bears sh**t in the woods?
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2020, 10:43:38 AM »

According to Bruce Willis in Die Hard with a Vengeance this is indeed the case. But that was just some movie.

Likewise with the portrayal of Juror #10 in the 1997 remake of Twelve Angry Men, which also was just some movie.

A juror has the power over life or death of another human being.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2020, 10:49:56 AM »

Yes, how is this even a question?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2020, 11:03:41 AM »

I am hoping the main organization isn’t as naïve and uninformed about this issue.

One of the issues I’ve noticed about wide swathes of the European left is not being used to and having “incorrect” assumptions about immigrant and marginalized ethnic communities like Irish Travellers, Sinti, and Roma. I’m not surprised given the lack of (visible) diversity in Europe, but stuff like making Grey Wolves terrorists major party members in the Danish Green Party I believe is quite dumb. On the flipside, falling into the trap of smearing against the oppressed by falling through a different set of ignorance is also idiotic (I’m looking at you Swedish KP and Hungarian Workers Party).

A major thing the Youth group, and wider European Left, needs to do is actually focus on recruiting the immigrant community and diaspora in the ghettos to properly deal with this issue. Laki, correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m assuming that the Youth movement you are apart of is 90+% white in both membership and leadership. To properly represent all of the Belgian working class, the PTB-PVDA must resemble Belgium. The benefits is that you reach out to all of the working class, can be more educated on the varying issues affecting the future of the diverse community of working people for the purposes of solidarity, and these new members can rightfully provide critique on issues in their community.

Laki, my best answer if my assumption is correct is to send a complaint through the proper channels that more work needs to be done in recruitment among all of the Belgian working class. If not, I would suggest the party to reach out to like-minded organizations representing the working class in North Africa, the Levant, Central Asia, etc. to educate the party on these issues and be more aware of issues that need to be solved in these growing communities. I’m assuming y’all got good contacts internationally considering that the Belgian Commies organized to what amounts to a party every year or so till 2014.

Exactly what do you mean about anti-white racism in South Africa? The rampant xenophobia and foolishness of the black identitarian parties like BLF and Malema’s personality outfit or issues regarding labor disputes on South African farms? South Africa is weird in it having a very loose structure regarding its centralization that oftentimes leads to a lack of action by the government, leading people to think that vigilante action is the only way to solve things like labor disputes, and pits the various people in the rainbow nation against one another for economic development and patronage—which is why there are two different Zulu parties for the local aristocracy and the Afrikaner party.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2020, 11:10:30 AM »

I am hoping the main organization isn’t as naïve and uninformed about this issue.

One of the issues I’ve noticed about wide swathes of the European left is not being used to and having “incorrect” assumptions about immigrant and marginalized ethnic communities like Irish Travellers, Sinti, and Roma. I’m not surprised given the lack of (visible) diversity in Europe, but stuff like making Grey Wolves terrorists major party members in the Danish Green Party I believe is quite dumb. On the flipside, falling into the trap of smearing against the oppressed by falling through a different set of ignorance is also idiotic (I’m looking at you Swedish KP and Hungarian Workers Party).

A major thing the Youth group, and wider European Left, needs to do is actually focus on recruiting the immigrant community and diaspora in the ghettos to properly deal with this issue. Laki, correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m assuming that the Youth movement you are apart of is 90+% white in both membership and leadership. To properly represent all of the Belgian working class, the PTB-PVDA must resemble Belgium. The benefits is that you reach out to all of the working class, can be more educated on the varying issues affecting the future of the diverse community of working people for the purposes of solidarity, and these new members can rightfully provide critique on issues in their community.

Laki, my best answer if my assumption is correct is to send a complaint through the proper channels that more work needs to be done in recruitment among all of the Belgian working class. If not, I would suggest the party to reach out to like-minded organizations representing the working class in North Africa, the Levant, Central Asia, etc. to educate the party on these issues and be more aware of issues that need to be solved in these growing communities. I’m assuming y’all got good contacts internationally considering that the Belgian Commies organized to what amounts to a party every year or so till 2014.

Exactly what do you mean about anti-white racism in South Africa? The rampant xenophobia and foolishness of the black identitarian parties like BLF and Malema’s personality outfit or issues regarding labor disputes on South African farms? South Africa is weird in it having a very loose structure regarding its centralization that oftentimes leads to a lack of action by the government, leading people to think that vigilante action is the only way to solve things like labor disputes, and pits the various people in the rainbow nation against one another for economic development and patronage—which is why there are two different Zulu parties for the local aristocracy and the Afrikaner party.
I think we are one of the most ethnically diverse Belgian parties, especially from muslim communities (except for jews, a very right-wing demographic here).
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies