HB 27-06: Congressional Reform Resolution (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:19:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 27-06: Congressional Reform Resolution (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HB 27-06: Congressional Reform Resolution (Passed)  (Read 3157 times)
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« on: December 16, 2020, 11:45:16 PM »

I will sponsor.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 04:25:38 AM »

Nay.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 09:13:32 AM »

While I can't formally object, I don't support this. We've seen unanimous consent used in real life to slow down progress on important bills. I don't want the same thing to happen here.

One more thing. People who, say, aren't Senators, discuss Senate bills in Senate threads all the time. If members of Congress are concerned about something in a bill, and they're concerned that it'll go through their chamber on initial cloture, they can still debate ad nauseam in the other chamber's thread.

How much this rule change affects the amount of debate is entirely dependent on members of Congress -- whether they debate in one thread or another thread, whether they hold things over or not. All this does is give them the option of passing things on a faster timetable. So, I don't think this is necessary.

I'm in the House and focus on House bills. I don't go to Senate threads to see what they are doing before the Senate sends a bill to the House.

If both chambers have to debate on all bills on the two chambers at the same time because maybe you will not have a say when it goes to the other chamber, I guess we might as well have one chamber and not two.

Yes, you have stumbled into the correct position here. There is no reason to have two seperate legislative chambers.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 02:12:08 AM »

There's no need for further amendments here. I think we should vote soon.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 03:49:17 AM »

This shouldn't be a problem. Formally changing the name to "Congressional Reform Resolution".
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 08:38:45 PM »

Friendly, though I'm not sure a 48 hour period is necessary, it doesn't seem too bad and we can always move around in case of an emergency.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 04:36:08 PM »

Nay.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 11:03:28 PM »

Would it change people's mind if I write:

"and there is more than one piece of legislation in the queue for the Senate passed legislation slots"

That is when the no debate vote could happen, because there are bills waiting. In other times we have time to properly debate. I forgot to add the queue was for Senate passed legislation because the sentence started with bills originated in the other house.

No, it won't change any ones mind because we don't need unnecessary stalling when there's plenty of debate to read through. If a bill wasn't properly debated in the senate, it says more about bicameralism than it does about how this House should operate.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 12:35:17 AM »

Aye.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies