HB 27-06: Congressional Reform Resolution (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:43:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 27-06: Congressional Reform Resolution (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: HB 27-06: Congressional Reform Resolution (Passed)  (Read 3153 times)
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2021, 11:03:28 PM »

Would it change people's mind if I write:

"and there is more than one piece of legislation in the queue for the Senate passed legislation slots"

That is when the no debate vote could happen, because there are bills waiting. In other times we have time to properly debate. I forgot to add the queue was for Senate passed legislation because the sentence started with bills originated in the other house.

No, it won't change any ones mind because we don't need unnecessary stalling when there's plenty of debate to read through. If a bill wasn't properly debated in the senate, it says more about bicameralism than it does about how this House should operate.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2021, 11:08:35 PM »

I concur with the Speaker. I have heard enough on this bill and am prepared to move to final vote - hence, my motion.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2021, 01:21:22 AM »

Aye. Personally, I think Poirot has made himself clear and it would be highly unwise to assume either house would always be in a position to debate properly. And that's still better than a scenario where all it would take for a bad bill to become law would be one house's failure to debate properly!
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2021, 12:17:05 AM »

The amendment fails 2-5-0-2. Debate resumes.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2021, 12:17:40 AM »

Motion for final vote, again.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2021, 12:18:28 AM »

24 hours to object to OBD's motion.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2021, 05:45:22 PM »

we don't need unnecessary stalling when there's plenty of debate to read through.

The usual complaint is there is not enough participation and debate. I guess now we prefer silence and quick votes.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2021, 05:57:11 PM »

This has been on the floor for a month and there's been four pages of debate. Don't think that counts as a quick vote, buddy!
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2021, 06:20:28 PM »

I thought the stalling comment was on procedure in general but if it was on this specific bill, I have not seen stalling. If my amendments are considered stalling, it's insulting.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2021, 07:11:51 PM »

I call it like I see it!
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2021, 12:18:59 AM »

Seeing no objection, we will begin a 72-hour final vote on this legislation. Representatives, please vote aye, nay, or abstain.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2021, 12:20:36 AM »

Aye!
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2021, 12:21:02 AM »

Aye!
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2021, 12:35:17 AM »

Aye.
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -7.22

P P P
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2021, 07:47:02 PM »

AYE.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2021, 09:13:23 PM »

Nay

If the House needs to move more quickly to debate legislation passed in the Senate the Speaker or VP or a concerned legislator can raise the problem so the House can take action. That is the voluntary collective effort option. There are also rules  like in Article 4 Section 3 of the House rules and procedures to cloture debate. That is a legislative rule option if needed. At least there is a minimum time of debate on the legislative floor. What this reform does is give people the power to not let a bill passed by the Senate be brought on the House floor. This can be done to the detriment of some Representatives who would like to debate or amend a piece of legislation. That is our role as legislators.

I believe if there are two legislative chambers a bill should be brought to the two legislative floors for examination and debate. I am for the liberty of debate and for the activity the debate brings. I find it anti-game to stop some legilsation from being on the floor. I proposed amendments to limit the scope of this new rule and they were rejected. I proposed getting to a final only when no House member objected, or when there was a queue for the slots reserved for Senate passed legislation. So I vote Nay because this reform goes against my vision of the game, the role of legislators and being fun for everyone.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2021, 10:17:39 PM »

Aye
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2021, 12:33:57 AM »

By a vote of 5-1-0-3, this passes.

I do see what Poirot is saying. I've changed the bill to try and meet him in the middle, and if it turns out in a few months that the new system isn't working, I'm happy to eat crow. But for now, I'm looking forward to giving the new system a chance.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2021, 12:36:35 AM »

It seems I am three minutes late. Anyway, even if my vote no longer counts, I wanted to make my thoughts clear on this.

Where we've ended up is, on the face of it, fairly similar to the cloture and debate-waiving rules currently on the books. However, the resolution gives a partisan majority in either chamber the power to ram a bill through by sacrificing healthy debate – debate that would make a bill better for the people it serves – without adding much in the way of "more efficient legislation"; nothing not already covered by our existing rules, at any rate. This is a long-term sacrifice of legislative ability that lacks substantial return and I don't think I could have voted in good conscience for the final version of this bill.

Nay.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2021, 12:52:22 AM »

A RESOLUTION
To reduce gridlock and streamline Congressional rule changes

Be it resolved by the House of Representatives and Senate assembled:
Section 1. Title

1. This legislation may be cited as the Congressional Reform Resolution of 2021.

Section 2. Amendment to Senate Rules

1. Article 11 of the New Senate Rules Resolution is amended to read as follows.

Quote from: Article 11: Relationship within the Congress
5.) Whenever either house shall consider a bill, order, or resolution that shall have originated in the other, the President of the Congress shall immediately call a vote in that house on whether to immediately pass the legislation, or further debate it.
a.) The President of Congress shall maintain a single thread in which to preside over these votes as held by both houses, and shall regularly update the title of the thread to inform the Congress of what legislation is being considered in which house.
b.) Should the house vote to debate the legislation further, debate shall proceed in a separate thread as established elsewhere in these rules.

People's Regional Senate
Passed 4-2 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,

Section 3. Amendment to House Rules

1. Article 10 of the House of the Representatives Rules and Procedures for Operation is amended to read as follows.

Quote from: Article 10: Relationship within the Congress
5.) Whenever either house shall consider a bill, order, or resolution that shall have originated in the other, following a 48-hour period in which Congress may discuss, but not formally move to modify, the legislation,the President of the Congress shall call a vote in that house on whether to immediately pass the legislation, or further debate it.
a.) Should the house vote to debate the legislation further, debate shall proceed in a separate thread as established elsewhere in these rules.
b.) These votes shall be known as "initial cloture" votes.

People's House of Representatives
Passed 5-1-0-3 in the People's House of Representatives Assembled,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies