Libertarian Party Inside Baseball Politics Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:05:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Libertarian Party Inside Baseball Politics Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Libertarian Party Inside Baseball Politics Thread  (Read 6105 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2022, 05:10:07 PM »

An underrated aspect of why the Mises caucus won was that they weren’t complete losers and knew how to have fun on the campaign trail. People like George Phillies, Andy, or Jared are complete buzzkills who come across as stiff. The Mises caucus was wise in elevating a very pretty woman, according to many heterosexual LP members, who had a likable “not that type of girl” “homegirl” attitude. Bilyeu meanwhile had no implicit sex appeal and was unlikable to most of the base.

The only way for the libertarian movement to salvage itself from the massive defeat by quasi-republicans is to reject the old establishment as having failed them. The future of the movement is with people like DW Perry, Adam Kokesh, Arvin Vohra, and Spike Cohen—real libertarians. They need to cast the liberals that caused this major defeat to the curb while building their own movement.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2022, 05:20:23 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2022, 05:23:40 PM by NYDem »

An underrated aspect of why the Mises caucus won was that they weren’t complete losers and knew how to have fun on the campaign trail. People like George Phillies, Andy, or Jared are complete buzzkills who come across as stiff. The Mises caucus was wise in elevating a very pretty woman, according to many heterosexual LP members, who had a likable “not that type of girl” “homegirl” attitude. Bilyeu meanwhile had no implicit sex appeal and was unlikable to most of the base.

The only way for the libertarian movement to salvage itself from the massive defeat by quasi-republicans is to reject the old establishment as having failed them. The future of the movement is with people like DW Perry, Adam Kokesh, Arvin Vohra, and Spike Cohen—real libertarians. They need to cast the liberals that caused this major defeat to the curb while building their own movement.

Yes, clearly the future of the movement is with an Atlas user, a guy who wants to dissolve the USA, a pedophile, and some shirtless brony. A party led by them would return to the <1% status quo of the pre-Gary Johnson era, and would probably never crack 5% in any 3+ candidate race. Then again, the Libertarians are doomed to perpetual failure anyway, so I suppose there’s no harm in abandoning any pretense of being a serious political organization.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2022, 06:41:08 PM »

Yes, clearly the future of the movement is with an Atlas user, a guy who wants to dissolve the USA, a pedophile, and some shirtless brony. A party led by them would return to the <1% status quo of the pre-Gary Johnson era, and would probably never crack 5% in any 3+ candidate race. Then again, the Libertarians are doomed to perpetual failure anyway, so I suppose there’s no harm in abandoning any pretense of being a serious political organization.
These people built the party and reflect what most Libertarians actually are. They are also competent at doing what they are doing and reflect what libertarianism actually is, and people like Kokesh or DWP are the builders of the party from a movement that was taken less seriously than the constitution party to America’s Third Party.
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2022, 02:15:03 PM »

A thread for Libertarians to discuss the party and its figures moving forward.

Wait a minute....I was expecting MLB discussion? Damn.  LOL I'm actually serious.  Wink
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2022, 09:06:02 PM »

DSA’s big tent gets wider

They also are making a new party.

The main LGBT libertarian group has also split.

Safe to say the notion of a fiscally conservative, socially liberal party is long gone.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2022, 02:45:21 PM »

Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2022, 11:43:54 AM »

The national Libertarian Party has also had some...noteworthy content lately, too:

Pretty embarrassing (though not totally surprising) that the most significant third party in the US has devolved into shitposting to appeal to right-wing internet trolls.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2022, 11:58:34 AM »

So what are the disaffiliated parties going to call themselves? Presumably still being on the ballot as "Libertarian" with no modifier would confuse people and perhaps prompt a lawsuit from the national organization.
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2022, 03:03:47 PM »

Is there anything in American politics sadder than the Libertarian Party’s attempts at relevance?
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2022, 05:25:58 PM »

Is there anything in American politics sadder than the Libertarian Party’s attempts at relevance?
The LPNH's attempts
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2022, 06:40:12 PM »

If you guys want to have legitimate, competitive, sane third parties in this country, institute ranked-choice voting. Until that happens, all the third parties will behave like this.
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2022, 12:29:41 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2022, 02:05:37 PM by alex »

The LAMA, the organization that controls the internal affairs of the (non-MC wing of the)Massachusetts LP, state committee unanimously passed a resolution to disaffiliate from the Libertarian National Committee
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2022, 01:36:55 PM »

If you guys want to have legitimate, competitive, sane third parties in this country, institute ranked-choice voting. Until that happens, all the third parties will behave like this.

I don't think FPTP is to blame for the Libertarian Party's behavior.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2022, 06:53:03 PM »

It is completely to blame. I don’t even know why you’d write such a silly comment.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2022, 06:59:35 PM »

It is completely to blame. I don’t even know why you’d write such a silly comment.

Could you elaborate? I genuinely can't tell if you're joking.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2022, 07:08:53 PM »

Could you elaborate? I genuinely can't tell if you're joking.

In a FPTP system, you would have to be stupid, crazy, or unserious to join a third party. Thus the LP (and the Greens and the rest) only attract stupid, crazy, or unserious people. This is why they are and always will be a joke.
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2022, 12:47:11 PM »

Apparently there's also a rump MC LPVA Twitter account out there
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2022, 10:16:26 PM »

First past the post voting requires libertarian party to embrace extremism and general nuttiness. Okay, you go with that.

We're only wackos because the political system forces us to!
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2022, 11:02:17 PM »

Apparently there's also a rump MC LPVA Twitter account out there
Wait, the repeal the 19th people took over the LP?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2022, 11:16:40 PM »

Amazing that the Forward Party isn't even the saddest third party this year.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #120 on: September 13, 2022, 09:28:37 AM »

First past the post voting requires libertarian party to embrace extremism and general nuttiness. Okay, you go with that.

What about this are you not comprehending?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2022, 10:38:27 AM »

To be clear, I buy that a third party could be successful and not have exclusively insane people as members in a system without FPTP.

I just don’t think that the Libertarians would be that party.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #122 on: September 13, 2022, 01:31:09 PM »

To be clear, I buy that a third party could be successful and not have exclusively insane people as members in a system without FPTP.

I just don’t think that the Libertarians would be that party.

You can call it whatever you want. I have no doubt, however, that in a FPTP system there would be a socially liberal, fiscally conservative, freedom-oriented and pro-market party. It would be a serious institution and not a bunch of LARPers in powdered wigs. It would occasionally win elections, probably most commonly in the House. Whether it actually emerges out of the current Libertarian Party is of zero consequence to me.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #123 on: September 13, 2022, 02:15:06 PM »

Why bother with the libertarian-to-fascist pipeline when the fascists can just take over the Libertarian Party?
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2022, 05:42:47 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies