Representative Paul Mitchell (R-MI) has left the Republican Party.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:50:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Representative Paul Mitchell (R-MI) has left the Republican Party.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Representative Paul Mitchell (R-MI) has left the Republican Party.  (Read 2793 times)
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2020, 10:26:07 AM »

I am happy Talk Elections Forum is treating this as equally significant, valid and courageous as the leap millions of men and women who #DemExited took, who don't happen have a pulpit to virtue signal and angle for a media job. I guess we'll see what happens if Tulsi switches parties in a month, I'm sure her decision would be celebrated as well around here.

Well you know there is a difference between a GOP congressman leaving his party because it supports a baseless attack on democracy and people posting a hashtag because Huh?.
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2020, 10:42:35 AM »

I am happy Talk Elections Forum is treating this as equally significant, valid and courageous as the leap millions of men and women who #DemExited took, who don't happen have a pulpit to virtue signal and angle for a media job. I guess we'll see what happens if Tulsi switches parties in a month, I'm sure her decision would be celebrated as well around here.

Well you know there is a difference between a GOP congressman leaving his party because it supports a baseless attack on democracy and people posting a hashtag because Huh?.
Yes, the difference is that there were 8.5 million Obama-Trump voters, mostly downscale in terms of socioeconomic class (and the bulk of them stayed with him - 88 of the 100 counties that had voted for Gore, Kerry, Obama, Obama stuck with Trump, and 8 more that voted for those four and Clinton flipped) rather than a handful of upper middle class suburban college-educated whites from OC and NoVa. I guess focussing too much on that lot is kind of how we got to where we are today, though. Unsurprising but no less disappointing.

Yes, this has been discussed at length on this forum. I still don't get your argument. "#Walkaway" is a motto of changing electoral bases (which is normal). Mitchell left the party because it supported an undemocratic power-grab (which should not be normal).
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2020, 10:56:46 AM »

Yes, the difference is that there were 8.5 million Obama-Trump voters, mostly downscale in terms of socioeconomic class (and the bulk of them stayed with him - 88 of the 100 counties that had voted for Gore, Kerry, Obama, Obama stuck with Trump, and 8 more that voted for those four and Clinton flipped) rather than a handful of upper middle class suburban college-educated whites from OC and NoVa. I guess focussing too much on that lot is kind of how we got to where we are today, though. Unsurprising but no less disappointing.

Yes, this has been discussed at length on this forum. I still don't get your argument. "#Walkaway" is a motto of changing electoral bases (which is normal). Mitchell left the party because it supported an undemocratic power-grab (which should not be normal).
lol...

Even setting the bolded aside, how is it any different Jeff Van Drew? Both were in districts that were getting harder for them to win, and acted as if they had moral superiority when they were both blatant acts of opportunism.

First of all, Mitchell is retiring, so he's at least not doing it for electoral purposes.
And also ... I don't know what you expect. I might misinterpret you, but it seems to me that you try to insinuate certain hypocrisy concerning party switches, which does not really make sense. Because of course Democrats are happy when Republicans use seats and Republicans are happy when Democrats lose seats. 
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2020, 11:11:07 AM »

lol...

Even setting the bolded aside, how is it any different Jeff Van Drew? Both were in districts that were getting harder for them to win, and acted as if they had moral superiority when they were both blatant acts of opportunism.
Well one is retiring and making a meaningless gesture. But I'm not sure anyone is against party switching on principle.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2020, 11:18:22 AM »

Wow, so brave...
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2020, 02:27:38 PM »

Someone wants that Morning Joe panel job

He’s wealthy and has never sought the spotlight.

And, as far as I know, other than the Jake Tapper interview and maybe some Tweets, he hasn't even been out there on the media trail trying to make a name for himself.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies