Jon Ossoff
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:19:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Jon Ossoff
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jon Ossoff  (Read 1989 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2020, 03:05:22 PM »

What is his upsides and downsides?
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 03:40:05 PM »

His upsides are the most important part of him, as that's where is brain sits. His brain is the difference between running for an elected office and not knowing what an elected office is.

His downsides are less important. Below the unsavory bits are his legs and feet. The vast majority of Americans have the ability to use these for personal transportation, a process called walking. This helps him relates to the majority of Americans and his opponent also has this ability.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 05:27:09 AM »

Downsides:

1. He hasn't won the Big Office yet.
2. He is wet behind the ears.
3. He's Jewish... and that will bring out the crazies who will see him... you know. That's their fault and not his, but I think we would get used to it.

Positives:

1. He is really young. He could be the youngest US Senator if elected, and getting an early start in high office can mark a politician who gets an early start on the Presidency. Look at John F. Kennedy and Barack Obama.

2. He is smart... oh, is he smart.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 04:49:39 PM »

Downsides:

1. He hasn't won the Big Office yet.
3. He's Jewish... and that will bring out the crazies who will see him... you know. That's their fault and not his, but I think we would get used to it.

Positives:

1. He is really young. He could be the youngest US Senator if elected, and getting an early start in high office can mark a politician who gets an early start on the Presidency. Look at John F. Kennedy and Barack Obama.

So Ossoff would have to pick a older VP, or someone with experience? Can he do a Clinton-Gore 1992 and reinforce youth with a young governor?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 01:36:13 AM »

Ossoff seems like a good guy but I'm worried that if he loses to Perdue - he is "marked for life" as a loser and thus unable to win any primary. Is he a lawyer? I suppose he could join an atlanta area firm if he becomes politically untenable.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 07:17:03 PM »

Ossoff seems like a good guy but I'm worried that if he loses to Perdue - he is "marked for life" as a loser and thus unable to win any primary. Is he a lawyer? I suppose he could join an atlanta area firm if he becomes politically untenable.

Ossoff is not a lawyer. He is the CEO of a company that produces investigative documentaries.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 08:20:39 AM »

Jon Ossoff will be a star in the new Senate just like Mark Kelly
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 03:08:44 PM »

Downsides:

1. He hasn't won the Big Office yet

Positives:

1. He did win the run-off election, and he holds an office from which several people have won the Presidency. Anyone in the Senate not disqualified due to foreign birth should be considered a potential President until one gets indications to the contrary.

2. He has plenty of time should he have a successful time in the Senate and avoid trouble.

3. F--- antisemitism. Just about everyone with a German-sounding surname experiences it at some point. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 05:42:00 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2021, 12:53:06 AM by pbrower2a »

Back when the New York Times had forums but no paywall, the Forums were lively exchanges of ideas on everything from culture to politics to business. I enjoyed them well. I did run into one fellow who went after me. I took a swipe at some right-wing European politician for his anti-Muslim stance, and this fellow (he went by a name similar to B. Liar), said something like this:

"Hypocrisy comes easily when you think of yourselves as God's Chosen People".

That was strange because I had no idea about its applicability.

OK, so I am a smart liberal with a German-sounding name who hates Nazis. (I brag about my intellect but that is about all that I am, and "Brower" is really Dutch, being associated with an early settler of New Amsterdam). It is impossible to not hate Nazis if one knows about them and what they did unless one is a fascist pig, irrespective of ethnic origins. I am more German in origin than anything else, and to my knowledge I have no Jewish ancestry dating back to at least 1800. I would have passed the ancestry test for the SS, but if I had to choose between being a Jew and being a Nazi I would be a Jew because Judaism would require no ethical compromises and little, if any, change in my cultural values.

This fellow took swipes at just about anyone who disagreed with him on Israel, Jews, and the reality of the Holocaust. I left plenty of hints that I was not Jewish, like not knowing when the Jewish holidays were, not talking about Jewish rituals of coming of age, and suggesting that Nazis were in Hell. The Jews who piled on him didn't pretend to not be Jewish.

I took swipes at all human horrors that could compare in any way to Nazi crimes, including the Atlantic Slave Trade, the Holodomor, the Killing Fields of Cambodia, the horrible Congo "Free" State,   and the mistreatment of First People of the Americas. I recognized that the Jews got more attention for the Holocaust only because they are better writers than the other victims. I attributed the defeat of Hitlerite Germany to Nazi atrocities, exploitation, and brutality... a commonplace assessment. The USA, Britain, and the Soviet Union also had the good Jewish scientists and engineers that the Nazis would have murdered.

Most Germans and German-Americans hate Nazis... as a great and grave disgrace. Thomas B. Liar
couldn't figure that out.

This said, I prefer that antisemites think me Jewish than that anyone think that I be a Nazi.      
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 05:50:24 PM »

Calling it now: Jon Ossoff will be elected president in 2064 after 44 years in the US senate.  He will be the same age as Joe Biden at this point in his 1st term.  The election will be decided in the US House in January after no one gets an EV majority in November (Democrats will dominate the Inland West by this time and have a natural advantage in state delegations).   
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 03:00:56 PM »

Good VP pick for Harris
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 10:36:50 PM »

Maybe.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 10:43:25 PM »

If Abrams wins in 2022

other good vp pick would be Roy Cooper or Gary Peters
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 10:48:40 PM »

If Abrams wins in 2022

other good vp pick would be Roy Cooper or Gary Peters

Peters probably not.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 10:58:34 PM »

Why not?
DS0816
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2021, 07:14:40 PM »

He may end being the Democrats’ Marco Rubio.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2021, 01:06:38 AM »

He is one of 100 Senators, and the US Senate is typically one of the two offices (Governor of a State) that most directly leads to the Presidency. Never mind that the late Tom Bradley had far more responsibilities as Mayor of Los Angeles than did Bill Clinton as Governor of a state with only six electoral votes... Clinton became President and Bradley did not. If it isn't ethnicity -- Rudy Giuliani had far bigger things to deal with as Mayor of New York than did Barack Obama as a US Senator, and Obama became President and Giuliani didn't.

We have yet to have a Jewish President, but that is more a matter of chance than anything else in view of the large number of Jews in high positions in American life. A Jewish President is only a matter of time. More significant -- Ossoff is the youngest US Senator, and by far. Achieving what is often the next step from the Presidency that early suggests extreme or unusual promise so early. He is not ready for the Presidency, but in twelve years he will be in the range of age that one associates with Grant, TR, Kennedy, Clinton, and Obama when becoming President. Figuring that Osoff's Millennial Generation is on the brink of taking a huge role in elections for really high office (including the US Senate and State Governorships), Jon Ossoff is ahead of everyone.

He is not there, and he is not on a sure trajectory. He needs to be re-elected in 2026 to solidify his credibility for the 2036 Presidential election.       
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies