SB 27-09: Housing Reform Act for Needy Atlasians (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:12:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 27-09: Housing Reform Act for Needy Atlasians (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: SB 27-09: Housing Reform Act for Needy Atlasians (Passed)  (Read 2562 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 06:59:19 PM »

what are people's thoughts about a capital spending program on house building?

As I said in a post above while I didn't support such a large amount of spending on one project alone when we've got a defecit (I think the $40 billion price tag could be better spent elsewhere with covid) I do feel there's certainly a good program/spending work that could be put in place.

I'm happy to draft something tomorrow but would be happy to hear thoughts.

I'm not really sure what a "capital spending program" means but write something up and I'll post my thoughts.

Ah sorry I'm speaking in UK budget jargon where we use capital spending as a way of getting around the rules which limited day-to-day spending; basically I'm happy for spending money on a home building program, just different to the one I removed in the amendment.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2021, 11:29:55 PM »

What is the preferred structure for an alternative home program, or is that going to be pursued separately?

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2021, 12:17:08 AM »

What is the preferred structure for an alternative home program, or is that going to be pursued separately?

Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2021, 09:43:51 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2021, 10:03:31 PM by Rep Jessica »

I believe that if we're NOT going to give our SSI/SSD members of society special apartments we better increase the benefits high enough in order to get into one. For those getting 1,000 bucks per month within a region that requires 2,100 dollars/month income it is time to increase their ssi/ssd to that level.

Any bill that doesn't assure these people housing is one that is failing them.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2021, 10:18:12 PM »

Is it currently legal for landlords to deny tenant applications because of housing voucher status? That could be something to address here.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2021, 05:32:18 PM »

Is it currently legal for landlords to deny tenant applications because of housing voucher status? That could be something to address here.

Bumping this question.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2021, 05:25:10 AM »

As things stand now (ie after the Blair amendment), the home program would be pursued in a separate bill? This will would only deal with discrimination in access to housing, but not necesarily build any more units.

Of course we could always bring the part Blair took away back.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2021, 11:26:00 AM »

As things stand now (ie after the Blair amendment), the home program would be pursued in a separate bill? This will would only deal with discrimination in access to housing, but not necesarily build any more units.

Of course we could always bring the part Blair took away back.

That should only be done if their is appetite to resolve the disagreements within a reasonable time frame though.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2021, 02:11:47 AM »

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2021, 03:13:58 AM »

So I'm submitting this amendment to restore the section that Blair removed.

As far as I'm concerned, the housing affordability crisis can only be resolved by increasing the supply. This can be done by relaxing zoning restrictions to incentivize new renting and development (mostly a regional/local issue), subsidizing new building, or both.

Quote from: Amendment
Section III: Federal Housing
i. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is granted $80 billion to construct affordable modular home complexes.
ii. These complexes will provide housing for those who cannot adequately provide for themselves.
iii. The complexes should be able to house up to 10,000 people.
iiia. The recommended locations for construction of the complexes are Colby, KS, Ellisville, MS; Grayson, KY; just outside of Gresham, OR; just outside of Tacoma, WA; just outside of Boise, ID; just outside of Dallas, TX; just outside of San Fransisco, CA; just outside New York, NY; just outside of Chicago, IL; and just outside of Fort Meyers, FL. Federal and local leaders may recommend additional locations. All recommended locations shall be subject to HUD approval based on federal and local assessment of their suitability for added housing.
iiib. Each unit shall be between 400 and 500 square feet of living space.
iiic. Each unit shall meet the electrical and plumbing requirements determined by HUD.
iiid. "Just outside" means within 75 miles of labeled city.
iv. Residents will receive a monthly stipend of $700.
iva. Residents will have access to work opportunities to earn more money.
v. HUD shall work with the regional and local governments to ensure that homeless populations are matched with a home.

Are we satisfied with this?
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2021, 03:19:27 AM »

Looks great, but what’s with the Colby/Ellisville/Grayson locations? Understand that this just reflects how the bill was before, but I’d like to have a conversation about why we would concentrate public housing in areas that are likely to be pretty far from where jobs are
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2021, 03:33:33 AM »

Looks great, but what’s with the Colby/Ellisville/Grayson locations? Understand that this just reflects how the bill was before, but I’d like to have a conversation about why we would concentrate public housing in areas that are likely to be pretty far from where jobs are

They're not mandatory, they're just recommendations. And if we want jobs to come to these places, we need to start somewhere.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2021, 10:07:54 AM »

I don't support that amendment; assuming I haven't missed the window I object.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2021, 10:18:36 AM »

I also object to this amendment on grounds of convenience for traveling. Not all Atlasians live in those areas specified. It will cause delays and citizens will not be able to get to work. The logistical imperfections are numerous. However, this bill has good intent.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2021, 02:26:29 PM »

FWIW this would be the first amendment vote we've had in a while!
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2021, 07:56:09 PM »

Because I think there's some middle ground we can reach here, and because the sponsor of the amendment is no longer in the Senate, I'm actually not going to open an amendment vote and just say that the current amendment is voided by Scott resigning.

Maybe we could do some housing in big metros, and some housing in growing mid-size metros in rural areas? I'm thinking, like, St. George UT, Jonesboro AR, Fargo ND, etc.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2021, 10:43:20 PM »

FWIW this would be the first amendment vote we've had in a while!

MISSION FAILED!!! We'll get it next time!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2021, 04:41:08 PM »

I'm going to be honest & say that I would rather have one bill (as currently drafted) to deal with reforming the law around tenant/housing rights & have a seperate bill that deals with a house-building program.

I'd want that second bill to be much larger & more in detail than a stapled on part of a bill; if we're going to spend a large sum of money I'd want it to be worthwhile.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2021, 04:43:03 PM »

I'm going to be honest & say that I would rather have one bill (as currently drafted) to deal with reforming the law around tenant/housing rights & have a seperate bill that deals with a house-building program.

I'd want that second bill to be much larger & more in detail than a stapled on part of a bill; if we're going to spend a large sum of money I'd want it to be worthwhile.

I'm also aware that this has been on the floor for a long-time & has been one of the few bills that this Senate has been guilty of kicking around where no-one has really opposed it but no-one has championed it.

So I'm going to make myself unpopular & say I'll be motioning for a final vote on the 'skinny' version of the bill within 24 hours unless shouts loadly!
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2021, 12:21:17 AM »

I'm also aware that this has been on the floor for a long-time & has been one of the few bills that this Senate has been guilty of kicking around where no-one has really opposed it but no-one has championed it.

So I'm going to make myself unpopular & say I'll be motioning for a final vote on the 'skinny' version of the bill within 24 hours unless shouts loadly!

24 hours to object to Blair's motion.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2021, 12:23:25 AM »

I have to say that at this point, I would rather get the bill off the floor and do a house-building program separately.

It makes more sense for the housing to be allocated by some sort of formula and empirical data, instead of us just "kicking around," to paraphrase Blair, different cities. That deserves a full legislative debate in and of itself.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2021, 07:25:20 PM »

Like I said a couple weeks ago combinong should only be done of their was the appetite for it, clearly that isn't their.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2021, 03:16:01 AM »

Alright folks. A final vote is now open on this bill. Please vote aye, nay, or abstain.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2021, 09:29:37 AM »

I agree with this bill in principle, so AYE
North Carolina Yankee