SB 27-09: Housing Reform Act for Needy Atlasians (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:17:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 27-09: Housing Reform Act for Needy Atlasians (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SB 27-09: Housing Reform Act for Needy Atlasians (Passed)  (Read 2559 times)
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2020, 08:56:55 PM »
« edited: February 25, 2021, 11:33:33 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Quote from: Final House Version
AN ACT
The Housing Reform Act for Needy Atlasians

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,
Section I. Title & Definitions
i. The long title of this Act shall be the "The Housing Reform Act for Needy Atlasians"

Section II: Fair Rent Provisions

i. All disabled and SSI/SSDI recipients shall not pay more security deposit within the Republic of Atlasia because of their disability or needs.
ia. This includes people with little rental history.
ii Landlords shall be banned from setting monthly rent to income requirements higher than 2-1 within their rental agreements or policies to get into an apartment.
iii. All waitlists shall exclude factors such as income requirements higher than twice the rent or rental history.
iv. All peoples making less then $25,000 per year shall be included within the needy category and shall be included within section ii and iii above.
iva. All people within the needy category must be employed or actively seeking employment.

Section III: Federal Housing
i. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is granted $80 billion to construct affordable modular home complexes.
ii. These complexes will provide housing for those who cannot adequately provide for themselves.
iii. The complexes should be able to house up to 10,000 people.
iiia. The recommended locations for construction of the complexes are Colby, KS, Ellisville, MS; Grayson, KY; just outside of Gresham, OR; just outside of Tacoma, WA; just outside of Boise, ID; just outside of Dallas, TX; just outside of San Fransisco, CA; just outside New York, NY; just outside of Chicago, IL; and just outside of Fort Meyers, FL. Federal and local leaders may recommend additional locations. All recommended locations shall be subject to HUD approval based on federal and local assessment of their suitability for added housing.
iiib. Each unit shall be between 400 and 500 square feet of living space.
iiic. Each unit shall meet the electrical and plumbing requirements determined by HUD.
iiid. "Just outside" means within 75 miles of labeled city.
iv. Residents will receive a monthly stipend of $700.
iva. Residents will have access to work opportunities to earn more money.
v. HUD shall work with the regional and local governments to ensure that homeless populations are matched with a home.

Section IV. Expansion of Subsidies
i. HUD is granted $10 billion to expand rent subsidies for low-income and disabled Atlasians
ia. Preference will be given to SSI/SSDI recipients.
ii. These subsidies shall not exceed 50% of rent or $700 per renter, whichever is greater.

Section V: Transportation Subsidies
I. For Transportation for all disabled and needy approved residents of section III.
II. All that are approved shall get free government paid airplane, grayhound bus or train tickets.
III. The government shall grant 30 million dollars yearly for this program.
IIIa money shall be doled out by HUD.
People's House of Representatives
Passed 7-1-0-1 in the House of Representatives

Sponsor: Yankee
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 02:29:59 AM »

Motion to sponsor.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 07:58:02 AM »

This looks like a good bill overall. However I have never been a fan of rent control and I have long thought that the way to go was actually to build more housing to solve the housing problems. So section II.ii should probably be struck down.

I am also not sure about section II.iii; I thought waitlists only happened for public housing?

I am also in opposition to the list of cities dictated in section III.iiia; shouldn't we concentrate more profoundly on areas with a high cost of living? Maybe we should tweak a bit the city list.

But overall a good bill.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 10:11:01 AM »

I do share tack's concerns regarding rent control, so I am going to propose an amendment striking section II.ii.

From my interpretation of the bill, the wait list is meant to apply to Section 8 housing, but the bill doesn't clearly establish that. I'll fix that too.

I'm not sure how we should tweak the city list, but I'll leave it as is until we figure out which cities should be included. Keep in mind that the section isn't binding, though, and the cities listed are only recommendations.

Quote from: Amendment
AN ACT

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,
i. The long title of this Act shall be the "The Housing Reform Act for Needy Atlasians"

i. All disabled and SSI/SSDI recipients shall not pay more security deposit within the Republic of Atlasia because of their disability or needs.
ia. This includes people with little rental history.
ii Landlords shall be banned from setting monthly rent to income requirements higher than 2-1 within their rental agreements or policies to get into an apartment.
ii. All waitlists for public housing shall exclude factors such as income requirements higher than twice the rent or rental history.
iii. All peoples making less then $25,000 per year shall be included within the needy category and shall be included within section ii and iii above.
iiia. All people within the needy category must be employed or actively seeking employment.

i. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is granted $80 billion to construct affordable modular home complexes.
ii. These complexes will provide housing for those who cannot adequately provide for themselves.
iiia. The recommended locations for construction of the complexes are Colby, KS, Ellisville, MS; Grayson, KY; just outside of Gresham, OR; just outside of Tacoma, WA; just outside of Boise, ID; just outside of Dallas, TX; just outside of San Fransisco, CA; just outside New York, NY; just outside of Chicago, IL; and just outside of Fort Meyers, FL. Federal and local leaders may recommend additional locations. All recommended locations shall be subject to HUD approval based on federal and local assessment of their suitability for added housing.
iiic. Each unit shall meet the electrical and plumbing requirements determined by HUD.
v. HUD shall work with the regional and local governments to ensure that homeless populations are matched with a home.

i. HUD is granted $10 billion to expand rent subsidies for low-income and disabled Atlasians
ii. These subsidies shall not exceed 50% of rent or $700 per renter, whichever is greater.

I. For Transportation for all disabled and needy approved residents of section III.
II. All that are approved shall get free government paid airplane, grayhound bus or train tickets.
People's House of Representatives
Passed 7-1-0-1 in the House of Representatives

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 11:55:36 AM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to Scott's sponsorship motions.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 05:11:29 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2020, 05:18:44 PM by Blair »

The pedant in me says that the phrase 'doled' out should be changed...

EDIT: I have some issues with this bill but believe they can be fixed; it seems a bit like a christmas tree bill dealing with several issues; I'll try and get my thoughts up on it soon.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 08:04:05 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to Scott's sponsorship motions.

Seeing no objection, Scott is recognized as sponsor.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 12:51:16 PM »

Senators now have 24 hours to object to the amendment by the bill's sponsor. Tongue
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 03:54:41 PM »

Assuming Scott's amendment has been adopted... I offer the amendment below.

My main concern is that this bill is doing two different things at once; 1.) trying to reform housing laws for those who face discrimination (something I support & easy to do) 2.) Embarking on a huge program of new housebuilding (something I support but not something that is easy to do)

I can't support spending $80 billion on a program that would create a vast number of small modular homes in a random collection of locations & in same cases 75 miles outside of cities; this money could be spent in a much better manner.

I've also struck out the free airplane travel; I might be happy for certain exemptions for rural communities where it can be a lifeline but I can't see the rationale for the government spending in money to subside air travel for no specific purpose

Quote from: Amendment
AN ACT

ia. This includes people with little limited rental history.
ii. All waitlists for public housing shall exclude factors such as income requirements higher than twice the rent or rental history.
iii. All peoples making less then $25,000 per year shall be included within the needy category and shall be included within section ii and iii above.
iiia. All people within the needy category must be employed or actively seeking employment.

I. For Transportation for all disabled approved residents of section III.
II. All that are approved shall get free government paid airplane, grayhoundbus or train tickets.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 04:03:15 PM »

FTR I am happy to support a more measured approach around home building; I'd just rather have the existing section of the bill removed & see what we can work with; there's certainly a strong case for providing funding for it- I just think this needs to be worked on first (rather than me trying to type it out now!)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2020, 06:13:11 PM »

I will make it official I guess

Scott's amendment has been adopted
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2020, 06:18:16 PM »

As for the merits of Blair's amendment I would support a big construction project. However given the budget right now it might be a bad idea to embark in sich a big project. Had it not been for Covid I'd oppose Blair's amendment
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 11:30:41 PM »

24 hours for objections to Blair’s amendment.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2020, 10:41:01 PM »

24 hours for objections to Blair’s amendment.

Seeing no objections, the amendment is adopted.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2020, 12:31:58 AM »

Not that Scott would have objected necessarily but do try to get public feedback from the sponsor before calling for amendment objections.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2020, 01:06:35 AM »

Oh right, I forgot that you need sponsor feedback here. Tongue

Amendment is friendly.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2020, 03:48:40 AM »

Not that Scott would have objected necessarily but do try to get public feedback from the sponsor before calling for amendment objections.

Right, okay.

The amendment is adopted.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2021, 12:29:04 PM »

What is next on this bill?
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2021, 01:35:20 PM »

Hello to my friends in the senate and here is something to consider as you debate and add amendments to this bill. Lets say for example you're disabled living off ssd of $1,000 dollars per month and the only waitlisted places that you can ever consider getting into cost like $600-650/month. The bad news as you look into getting into these apartments is they expect 3 times income to rent. How exactly are our disabled and poor expected to get into a place that demands $1,800/month? Everywhere a disabled person looks it is this way or worst. Of course maybe it isn't this way for 1,000 dollar per month apartments but that would be their entire check.

My point with banning this practice is this. It is the right thing to do.

Please consider that a lot of our homeless are disabled and low income people that literally can't get into an apartment for this reason.

Thank you.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2021, 02:38:00 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2021, 02:41:55 PM by Senator Scott🔔 »

Hello to my friends in the senate and here is something to consider as you debate and add amendments to this bill. Lets say for example you're disabled living off ssd of $1,000 dollars per month and the only waitlisted places that you can ever consider getting into cost like $600-650/month. The bad news as you look into getting into these apartments is they expect 3 times income to rent. How exactly are our disabled and poor expected to get into a place that demands $1,800/month? Everywhere a disabled person looks it is this way or worst. Of course maybe it isn't this way for 1,000 dollar per month apartments but that would be their entire check.

My point with banning this practice is this. It is the right thing to do.

Please consider that a lot of our homeless are disabled and low income people that literally can't get into an apartment for this reason.

Thank you.

Congresswoman,

As someone who is simultaneously disabled and was the caretaker for another disabled person until the end of her life, I can attest to the fact that there is discrimination in housing practices. Our landlord broke over a dozen codes, had us live in an unsafe environment with no running water, cut corners to death, likely evaded taxes, probably wasn't registered, and made no effort to accommodate us or even show basic decency when emergency medical care was needed. But this is a matter of enforcing existing building codes that ensure a reasonable level of security and comfort.

Strict rent control, however, disincentivizes people from renting out at all. As a result, there is less housing to supply and rent becomes more expensive. This is a matter of basic economics but states and cities have unwisely enacted laws that end up hurting the people they are intended to help.

I am fully on board with expanding public housing, but rent control is a failed experiment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2021, 08:23:42 PM »

At some point I really need to get more up to speed on the ins and outs of rent policy/zoning and the like, it really is a place I have only the most basic of knowledge of.

From what I have come to understand is that a lot nimby zoning laws in many areas are a culprit behind the high price tags. Rent control just seems to treat the symptom rather than the problem itself.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2021, 07:44:52 AM »

Yeah I agree with Yankee that rent control is a symptom and not the disease per se, though it is not like rent control makes things any better.

The bill as it stands now however just removes barriers to access to housing for disabled people, which is still a great move; just not one that will deal with the issues of high housing prices for most people.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2021, 07:47:46 AM »

Are there any other suggestions or concerns with the bill as it currently stands?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2021, 06:09:46 PM »

what are people's thoughts about a capital spending program on house building?

As I said in a post above while I didn't support such a large amount of spending on one project alone when we've got a defecit (I think the $40 billion price tag could be better spent elsewhere with covid) I do feel there's certainly a good program/spending work that could be put in place.

I'm happy to draft something tomorrow but would be happy to hear thoughts.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2021, 06:36:54 PM »

what are people's thoughts about a capital spending program on house building?

As I said in a post above while I didn't support such a large amount of spending on one project alone when we've got a defecit (I think the $40 billion price tag could be better spent elsewhere with covid) I do feel there's certainly a good program/spending work that could be put in place.

I'm happy to draft something tomorrow but would be happy to hear thoughts.

I'm not really sure what a "capital spending program" means but write something up and I'll post my thoughts.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies