Wars of the Roses (1454) - Game Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:08:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Wars of the Roses (1454) - Game Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Wars of the Roses (1454) - Game Thread  (Read 1534 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2020, 03:43:27 AM »

By order of the Regent,

His Grace the Duke of Somerset is hereby ordered to trial.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2020, 04:53:41 AM »

The Duke of Somerset welcomes the Regent’s just if tardy decision. He will accept the justice of a trial by his peers, so long as it is not headed by any of his known enemies, the Regent or the Earls of Salisbury or Warwick. Alternatively he is eager to stand trial by battle against any champion whatsoever the Regent chooses to provide.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2020, 10:16:45 AM »
« Edited: December 20, 2020, 12:32:30 PM by DKrol »

End of May, 1454

Duke of Somerset Executed After Trial

For the last three months, Edmund Beaufort, Duke of Somerset, has clamored to all who would listen to his cries that he should stand trial for his alleged crimes. Regent Richard, Duke of York obliged that request - although the jury was filled with York's allies and the chief prosecutors were men of the Neville family. Many expected that jury to acquit Somerset until an explosive piece of evidence was produced by the prosecutors: a letter sent from Somerset, and intercepted by Tower of London guards, to John Tiptoft, Earl of Worcester promising him great riches and success if he rose up against York's regency. This incendiary letter threw the jury completely against Somerset and the vote was unanimous - guilty of treason, with the punishment of death. Somerset was beheaded in London on the last of May, 1454 in a ceremony presided over by the Duke of York himself.

Lords Raises Armies, But Stand at Uneasy Peace as Banditry Continues

Lords across England and Wales raised their troops in large numbers but most gave no orders for those troops. Queen Margaret now commands a personal army of 2,000 men in London and, with her loyal Somerset executed for treason, surely finds herself on the edge of sending them into battle. The Earl of Warwick has been named Captain of an anti-banditry force by the Duke of York, comprised of volunteers from London and Kent and funded by a powerful guild of London merchants, and now commands 1,000 men. His father, the Earl of Salisbury, has raised an astonishing 3,000 men and distributed them across his lands, with the largest contingents stationed at Sheriff Hutton and Bisham Manor. The Earl of Richmond has also raised his own army to ensure the rule of law in Wales, commanding an additional 300 men to fight bandits and thugs. With so many men at arms, many suspect they must be put to use soon. Local bands of bandits have increased their violence and number, especially in the North, with the estates of the Percy family coming under especially heavy raids, as well as those in Cornwall.

Anti-French Propaganda Campaign Leads to Violence in Calais

Richard of York has staked his regency on attacking the French Queen as anti-English, fundamentally foreign, and unfit for English rule. While this has won him support from the common folk of the realm, it has caused him harm and suffering in the last English territory in France. The Garrison of Calais came under heavy attack from French nobility in April, as word of the Regent's remarks spread. The 600 troops stationed there were able to repel the attacks with few casualties, for now, thanks to their strong fortifications but the local populace has turned on the garrison with a hostility not seen in many years and the Lieutenant of the Garrison has sent an urgent letter to York pleading for more support. There are even a few in Parliament going so far as to urge the Regent to abandon Calais all together, writing a pamphlet calling it "an expensive hunk of rock good for providing only two things: the sale of wool and the death of Englishmen".

Tudor Marries Isabella of Scotland as Neville Takes In de la Pole

Sir Owen Tudor, father of the Earl of Richmond, has announced his engagement, and marriage, to Isabella of Scotland, widow of Francis of Brittany. Tudor himself is the widower of the late Queen Catherine of Valois and the stepfather of the King. The marriage reaffirms the elevation of the Tudor family to a place of prominence in the European nobility and leads some to wonder what may come from the young, bold Earls of Richmond and of Pembroke.

While the Tudors arranged a marriage to cement their rise, Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick took to fostering the young John de la Pole, Duke of Suffolk, son of the late William, to build his legacy. Warwick announced that the young Duke would be entering his household in order to be raised in a manner befitting his station in life. De la Pole's mother, Alice Chaucer, is said to have personally approved the mentorship after exchanging letters with Warwick in hopes of erasing the stains of William de la Pole's time in government and death.

Start of Turn Two (June, July, and August, 1454)

Army Strength

Henry VI - Incapacitated
Can raise 2,000 - 6,000

Richard, Duke of York
3,000 Soldiers, near London
550 Soldiers, in Calais
Can raise 2,000 - 4,000 more

Queen Margaret of Anjou
2,200 Personal Guards, in London
Can raise 500 more

Richard, Earl of Salisbury
700 at Bisham Manor in Berkshire
300 at Carlisle
600 at Middleham Castle
200 at the estate in Kendall
500 at Sheriff Hutton
500 at Brancepeth Castle
300 at Bamburgh Castle
Can't raise any more

Richard, Earl of Warwick
1,000 Soldiers, in Kent
Can raise 2,000 - 2,500

Humphrey, Duke of Buckingham
2,000 Soldiers, in Canterbury
Can raise 1,500 - 2,000 more

Henry, Earl of Northumberland
1,500 Soldiers, in Berwick
Can raise 1,000 - 2,000 more

Edmund, Earl of Richmond
1,000 Soldiers, in Carmarthen
Can raise 200 - 1,200 more

Henry, Duke of Somerset
500 Soldiers, in Gloucestershire
Can raise 1,000 - 2,000 more
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2020, 11:40:09 AM »

While noting that my father denied the validity of being tried by a jury of his personal enemies, I accept the manifest evidence of his guilt and vow not to seek redress against the regent or my Neville kinsmen for his death. I am dispatching my brother Edmund to attend the regent’s court and convey the confirmed loyalty of the Beaufort affinity to the highest lawful authority presently acting in the land, our cousin of York.

Henry Beaufort, Duke of Somerset
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2020, 12:29:18 PM »

Seems as though the instability from the Kings condition has spread to the north, once quite peaceful from the instability plaguing England. Luckily, I can assure all of you here that my Eldest son, the Earl of Warwick, is quite adept to take on the job at reining in the highwaymen and villeins across England. As the Duke of York rightfully restarts effective governance throughout England, so will stability and prosperity be restored.

I would like to commemorate the Tudors from Wales for the new marriage. They have grown in importance and clout ever since they realized that their status rests in England. My Brittonic speaking brothers, I’m happy at your delight; and I hope you all continue making the right decisions.

To the new duke of Somerset, let me say that losing a father is a hard affair, especially in these circumstances. I hope for the best for you and your family in these circumstances, and hope for you to work with the rest of England in these tumultuous times.

Let us all give heed to the rightful regent of England in establishing himself across the land.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2020, 12:48:04 PM »

I thank the Earl my cousin for his most fatherly concern.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2020, 04:04:46 PM »

The sins of the father are not the sins of the son.

His Grace the Duke of Somerset, in addition to the protection of His Lordship the Earl of Salisbury, may also consider himself under the protection of myself as Regent and through me, the King. Any harm that befalls him will be in defiance of the crown.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2020, 05:31:33 PM »

I concur with the king, any assistance to the Duke of Somerset or any molestation against him shall leave a reply by the House of Neville. Our doors are always open, and we are always alert.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2020, 09:25:46 PM »

My thanks to my noble cousin the regent.

I do not, however, think anyone would object even to the son of a convicted traitor reminding Lord Salisbury that the Duke of York is not the King, rather regent until his majesty Henry the Sixth recovers or his son the Prince of Wales comes of age.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2020, 12:09:27 AM »

Oh my, seems like the ale is getting to me again. My due apologies.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2020, 05:52:45 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2020, 07:04:29 PM by GoTfan »

By order of the Regent,

Edmund Tudor, Earl of Richmond, is appointed Lord Chancellor of the Kingdom of England. His experience and competence will serve us well as we seek to restore stability to the realm.

We acknowledge that due to his position as the primary defender of Wales, he may be forced to send a representative in his absence.

Richard, Duke of York, Regent of England, Protector of the Realm.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2020, 06:21:56 PM »

Excellent choice by the Regent of England, the Duke of York. The Earl of Richmond is experienced in his craft, and would be an excellent choice as Lord Chancellor.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2020, 02:36:28 AM »

An appointment sure to please his majesty upon his recovery. But the Lord Chancellor, usually though not invariably a cleric, most certainly needs to be at court in his own person to preside over royal justice. I counsel the regent that Jasper of Hatfield, Earl of Pembroke, already renowned in war, supply his brother’s place in Wales. As such he would enjoy my entire support as his nearest neighbour among the tenants in chief of the Crown.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2020, 07:11:20 AM »

The late Edmund Beaufort, for his faults in death, did indeed raise his sword for England against the French enemies. He is to be formally recognised as such.

I also wish to address these rumours that concern the King.

Let it be known: I have not, and never will, seek to claim the crown for myself. As Regent and Lord Protector, I act in the King's name, not as the King. To this, I now swear: I shall not ever seek the crown of England for myself.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2020, 07:13:06 AM »

God bless our noble regent and smile upon this most honourable vow.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2020, 09:02:03 AM »

I do apologize for my insolence in creating this row. In doing so, I do promise to accept any and all responsibilities and prospective punishments to help reform my tongue and drunken stupors.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2020, 02:34:10 PM »

My father, the Lord Owen Tudor, shall act as Lord Chancellor on my behalf while I finish my first job in Wales. I accept this appointment, though I must bring my previous station to a point of transition before accepting it.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2020, 04:00:22 PM »

The concerns of My Lord Richmond are duly acknowledged, and we welcome his father to act in his stead for the time being.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2020, 04:49:05 PM »

Sir Owen Tudor is renowned for his powers of persuasion. The House of Beaufort predicts a dizzying future ahead for him at court.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2020, 01:31:00 AM »

The Regent has a joyous announcement!

As of this day, his daughter Elizabeth is betrothed to Edmund Beaufort, brother to His Grace Duke Henry of Somerset.

As for the young Duke, he is hereby appointed Captain of Calais and charged with its defence. We have already suffered one dramatic defeat on French soil. We shall not suffer another. I give him leave to depart immediately.

May God bless his sword.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2020, 05:19:40 AM »

I rejoice at my brother and cousin’s happiness as I commit myself to the valiant cause of England ahead.

Somerset, Captain of Calais at the Regent’s command
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2020, 12:40:11 PM »

People of Calais! Burghers, soldiers, French or English speaking all.

My father’s father’s father’s father, King Edward III, won your town by the sword. My late father defended her for England in his youth and his maturity both.

The Beaufort arms bear a portcullis. Take this as a token by symbol and by name of my determination to keep Calais inviolate, English and profitable.

I have taken ship among you and among you I will stay, sword in hand for justice, for commerce, for Beaufort, for England and for Calais!

Your Captain,

Henry, Duke of Somerset
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2021, 01:45:49 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2021, 11:37:06 PM by DKrol »

End of August, 1454

Duke of Somerset Captured by Pirates, Held in Low Countries As Calais Comes Under Attack

Only months after his father's execution for treason, Henry, Duke of Somerset has found his own life in a tricky position. After being named Captain of Calais by the Regant, Somerset set sail, via London, to Calais to assume his command. Just past the English coast, however, a band of pirates descended on his retinue and laid siege to the small fleet. Of the three ships carrying Somerset to France, two were sunk in the battle. The third, carrying the Duke himself, was boarded and plundered for loot and hostages. With the Duke a prisoner of the battle, the pirates retreated speedily, towards a known pirate refuge in the Low Countries. Rumors are swirling in enlightened circles that the pirates must have had an informant in either London or Calais to have known when to attack Somerset's fleet, but the number of enemies of Somerset, and especially his late father, are too numerous to provide many clues. The pirates, led by a self-proclaimed Captain Joseph Crabbe, has announced a great bounty for Somerset's return, to be exchanged through merchants in Utrecht.

With the newly appointed Captain of Calais being held by pirates, chaos has erupted in Calais. The Lieutenant of Calais had written to London begging for aid; that aid now lay at the bottom of the English Channel. The French launched a heavy bombardment of the stronghold, using new gunpowder artillery in rapid succession to bring down the guard's defenses. All mercantile trade out of the port has halted, with merchants afraid to send their ships, and the people have been relocated to the deepest heart of the fortifications. The Lieutenant has sent an urgent message to London that Calais is on the verge of falling if conditions do not improve dramatically. Some are calling on the Regent to travel to Calais himself to rally the forces, while the minority party in Parliament becomes more vocal in their call to "abandon Calais with honour".

King Henry's Condition Improves Some

Joyful news spread across the realm in July - King Henry had responded to conversation of those around him. A steward reported that the King had looked at him and seemed to attempt speech while the steward was dressing him. Although the steward said that he could not make out what the King had said, and he has since returned to long bouts of silence and absent mindedness, many in the realm rejoiced at the news of some signs of life and brain activity in the monarch. Priests across the realm have been leading daily vigils and prayer groups, asking God to intervene and restore the King to his previous health. Whether this is a sign of great healing or a momentary improvement remains to be seen.

Salisbury Institutes 'Safety Tax' on Merchants, Peasants for Safe Travel, Spurs Opposition

The merchant class has arisen in an uproar against the Earl of Salisbury's decision to implement a 'safety tax' on merchants and peasants seeking travel across his lands in exchange for protection from bandits. While all acknowledge the plight of banditry across the realm, asking travelers to pay a special tax in order to be safe has raised alarm among many influential guilds and merchants. One notable merchant group wrote a pamphlet on the matter, declaring it "the most basic duty of a Lord to provide for the safe transit through his lands" and decry the 'safety tax' as "a most crass attempt to line the Earl's coffers". In a further move to crack down on bandits, Salisbury used his armies to seize, try, and mass execute scores of men deemed to have "conducted or participated" in banditry. The widows of some of these men, however, claim that their husband's executions were retaliatory in nature and related to a recent campaign against the Percy family. Combined with the 'safety tax' and the questionable legitimacy of these executions, the Earl of Salisbury's standing has taken a hit, with some of his soldiers choosing to desert their positions and return to their homes.

These actions have led Sir Robert Hylton, Baron Hylton, and Sir Thomas Lumley to declare an uprising against Salisbury's rule in County Durham. Hylton and Lumley, styling themselves as the Defenders of the North, issued a decree calling for Salisbury to repeal the new tax and compensate the families of those executed. While Hylton and Lumley are not powerful enough on their own to pose a serious threat to the Nevilles, they could provide a vehicle for the enemies of the powerful Northern family to stir up trouble and violence.

Rumors Swirl of Queen Margaret's Faithfulness

The outpouring of grief by the Queen, Margaret of Anjou at the public funeral for the late Duke of Somerset only fed into the rumor mill of the merchant class that the pair had been lovers and engaged in an affair at the time of his execution. Those rumors were furthered in recent weeks as news of a new lover have emerged. With the arrival of Sir Owen Tudor into London, acting as Lord Chancellor in his son's place, whispers have started that he is her new lover, being known for his love of Queens. Others suggested a brief affair with Henry Beaufort, before his leave to Calais, or perhaps the late Duke of Suffolk. With the King remaining in his catatonic state, public sympathy amongst the merchant class is low for the Queen, while the commoners are more kind hearted, with one local woman saying that she "couldn't bear to see [her] own husband suffer so" and understanding the Queen's desire to "seek comfort".

Beaufort Family Marries York, Other Marriages Look to Build Alliances

Elizabeth, second daughter of the Regent, has married Edmund Beaufort, brother of the now-captured Henry, in a surprising move of alliance building, given that earlier this year the then-Duke of Somerset was executed for treason. Many in the nobility have praised this union as a sign of the Regent's goodwill and compassion, overlooking the sins of the father in favor of unity in the realm. Henry's other brother, John Beaufort, also took a hand in marriage - that of Elizabeth Grey, sister of Richard Grey, Earl of Tankerville. It is also reported that the Tudors are probing many noble families for marriage alliances, which the appointment of the Earl of Richmond as Lord Chancellor has made much more appealing.

Start of Turn Three (September, October, November, 1454)

Army Strength

Henry VI - Incapacitated
Can raise 2,000 - 6,000

Richard, Duke of York
3,000 Soldiers, near London
550 Soldiers, in Calais
Can raise 2,000 - 4,000 more

Queen Margaret of Anjou
2,200 Personal Guards, in London
Can raise 500 more

Richard, Earl of Salisbury
300 at Carlisle
350 at Middleham Castle
350 at Sheriff Hutton
450 at Brancepeth Castle
250 at Bamburgh Castle
700 in Berkshire
Can raise 500 more

Richard, Earl of Warwick
1,000 Soldiers, in Kent
Can raise 2,000 - 2,500

Humphrey, Duke of Buckingham
2,000 Soldiers, in Canterbury
Can raise 1,500 - 2,000 more

Edmund, Earl of Richmond
1,000 Soldiers, in Carmarthen
Can raise 200 - 1,200 more

Henry, Duke of Somerset - Captured by Pirates
200 Soldiers, Captured by Pirates
200 Soldiers, in Gloucestershire
Can't raise any more while captured
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2021, 03:07:10 PM »

So it seems the wives of border bandits have used their tongues to spite me and ruin the repaired relationship between the Houses of Neville and Percy? Let it be known that I only instituted a tax to protect the sanctity of trade in the North, for the benefit of England. I hope me and the Earl of Northumberland can go hand in hand in eliminating the border reveller bandits for good.

On the rebellion in County Durham, they will be pacified. I suggest all the misled men who participate there take my offers of amnesty if they disarm and surrender

On the Issue of Calais, I’ve had enough of leaving it in a precarious situation. 300 fresh recruits will join them to protect against raiding.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2021, 03:36:41 PM »

This insult will not go unpunished.

By the Grace of God, i intend to lead a rescue of the Duke of Somerset and then relieve Calais myself.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies