Interactions with Politicans ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:02:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Interactions with Politicans ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Interactions with Politicans ?  (Read 5471 times)
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2021, 11:33:54 PM »

To the OP. One unexpectedly unusual interaction occurred back in 2003. I was in Springfield with a group to lobby the legislature on various issues. We were each assigned a set of legislators to meet. One state senator wasn't in his office, but I found him at a dinner at the Governor's mansion that evening and scheduled a meeting for the next day. None of that was unusual, but 6 years later Barack Obama was sworn in as the 44th president. Two years later I was caught by a Reuters camera shaking the hand of George W Bush at a bill signing ceremony in Montgomery IL.

I'm curious as to what your interactions have been like with Madigan and Blago. I assume you've had plenty of interactions with the former and at least a few with the latter.

My first meeting with Blago happened to be at the Bush bill signing I referenced above. We happened to arrive at the same time. He was hoping I might lobby one of the GOP state senators on an infrastructure bill. He invited me to the green room for federal officials, and then suggested I take a front row seat. That led to me being in position to shake Bush's hand after the signing.

I had surprisingly few direct interactions with Madigan despite my years of work in Springfield. Most of my interactions with Dem leadership was with House Majority Leader Currie, who I found to be a pleasure to work with. She retired two years ago.
Wait you were a state legislator in Illinois?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2021, 11:44:40 PM »

To the OP. One unexpectedly unusual interaction occurred back in 2003. I was in Springfield with a group to lobby the legislature on various issues. We were each assigned a set of legislators to meet. One state senator wasn't in his office, but I found him at a dinner at the Governor's mansion that evening and scheduled a meeting for the next day. None of that was unusual, but 6 years later Barack Obama was sworn in as the 44th president. Two years later I was caught by a Reuters camera shaking the hand of George W Bush at a bill signing ceremony in Montgomery IL.

I'm curious as to what your interactions have been like with Madigan and Blago. I assume you've had plenty of interactions with the former and at least a few with the latter.

My first meeting with Blago happened to be at the Bush bill signing I referenced above. We happened to arrive at the same time. He was hoping I might lobby one of the GOP state senators on an infrastructure bill. He invited me to the green room for federal officials, and then suggested I take a front row seat. That led to me being in position to shake Bush's hand after the signing.

I had surprisingly few direct interactions with Madigan despite my years of work in Springfield. Most of my interactions with Dem leadership was with House Majority Leader Currie, who I found to be a pleasure to work with. She retired two years ago.

I found this post of yours quite accurate.

Okay, now I’m convinced people are just making things up, if you’re actually a US Rep or the child of a Senator you want to be nowhere near this place.
Why ? seems like a fairly harmless internet community to be a part of as a politican.

I like sites with a no doxxing policy. Don't hide, but don't advertise.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2021, 11:53:56 PM »

Okay, now I’m convinced people are just making things up, if you’re actually a US Rep or the child of a Senator you want to be nowhere near this place.
Why ? seems like a fairly harmless internet community to be a part of as a politican.

oh sorry about that, you mentioned having met Obama to lobby him for something when he was a state legislature? did anything about him seem interesting when you met him?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2021, 12:03:51 AM »

oh sorry about that, you mentioned having met Obama to lobby him for something when he was a state legislature? did anything about him seem interesting when you met him?

No harm, no foul. In terms of Obama, not really. At that time he seemed typical of the Senate Dems who had just taken control of that chamber after the remap. What made it stand out was the fact that he moved upward so quickly  from then. I wasn't near him again until 2016 when he came to Springfield to speak to a joint session of the IL legislature.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2021, 01:07:09 AM »

No harm, no foul. In terms of Obama, not really. At that time he seemed typical of the Senate Dems who had just taken control of that chamber after the remap. What made it stand out was the fact that he moved upward so quickly  from then. I wasn't near him again until 2016 when he came to Springfield to speak to a joint session of the IL legislature.
Interesting, Did he get any support from Republicans in the legislature for his presidential bid due to a home-state effect?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2021, 08:47:15 AM »

Interesting, Did he get any support from Republicans in the legislature for his presidential bid due to a home-state effect?

He did in the 2008 primary, most notably from Sen. Kirk Dillard who cut a commercial for him. None publically supported him in the general that I know of. Dillard caught flak for the ad in the 2010 governor primary, since by then the polarization of the electorate frowned on such interparty collaboration.
MoreThanPolitics
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 1.50, S: 2.62

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2021, 07:52:18 AM »

Met with (nearly) all local councilors in my district in an event last year, and that's all.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2021, 09:53:47 PM »

John Fetterman follows me on Twitter. Idk if that counts as weird. I pretty much just asked him to and he did.
Ur John fetterman aren’t u?
Flyersfan232

« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2021, 10:02:01 PM »

I met and got a selfie with Senator Richard Blumenthal at a student-sponsored event for a political debate club.

Met Governor Jodi Rell in her office during a field trip and attended a (non-political) speech she gave at my high school. I asked her what it's like being a Republican governor with a Democratic legislature. She said bluntly, "They're a pain in my you-know-what."

Obama gave a eulogy at my high school after the Sandy Hook shooting. It was mostly closed to the public except for victims' families. It was surreal seeing the president speak at my school on such a solemn occasion, but I'm grateful that he did.

I also briefly saw Wolf Blitzer and Anderson Cooper as my parents and I were driving by to pay our respects at the candlelight vigil.

Former NC Governor James Martin spoke at my college. He was a chemistry professor before he went into politics, and he gave a talk about the perceived disconnect between science and religion. I asked him a question, but I don't remember what it was.

Roger Stone joined AAD and made a few posts there, but that was long before I registered.
His account still here?
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2021, 10:10:40 PM »

I met and got a selfie with Senator Richard Blumenthal at a student-sponsored event for a political debate club.

Met Governor Jodi Rell in her office during a field trip and attended a (non-political) speech she gave at my high school. I asked her what it's like being a Republican governor with a Democratic legislature. She said bluntly, "They're a pain in my you-know-what."

Obama gave a eulogy at my high school after the Sandy Hook shooting. It was mostly closed to the public except for victims' families. It was surreal seeing the president speak at my school on such a solemn occasion, but I'm grateful that he did.

I also briefly saw Wolf Blitzer and Anderson Cooper as my parents and I were driving by to pay our respects at the candlelight vigil.

Former NC Governor James Martin spoke at my college. He was a chemistry professor before he went into politics, and he gave a talk about the perceived disconnect between science and religion. I asked him a question, but I don't remember what it was.

Roger Stone joined AAD and made a few posts there, but that was long before I registered.
His account still here?

Roger Stone? He registered on AAD, made a few posts, and left. It was years ago.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2021, 10:18:19 PM »

I have exchanged words with over half a dozen Atlasian presidents that I can think of, so you know, I'm pretty well-connected. Just saying!
Flyersfan232

« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2021, 10:36:46 PM »

His account still here?

Roger Stone? He registered on AAD, made a few posts, and left. It was years ago.
aad?
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2021, 10:49:47 PM »

Atlas After Dark.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2021, 11:01:12 PM »

I saw Monica Wehby in person in 2013 and met Kshama Sawant in 2014.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2021, 01:49:52 PM »

Other than shaking hands (e.g. Robert Kennedy the day before he was assassinated), the one I actually spent some time taking to that is highest up the food chain was Pete Wilson of California. I have spoken to my Congressman Delgado early on in his  campaign. Ronald Reagan called my grandmother in 1981 to wish her a happy 96th birthday. Reagan and my aunt where long time friends from their days as Hollywood actors way back when.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2021, 03:03:10 PM »

* Senator Bill Nelson came to my school when I was 13 and I was the middle school representative in the meeting with him in the library. I mostly talked to Dan Shapiro because I was dreaming to be a diplomat back then, but it was interesting in retrospect.

* MK Itzik Shmuli (Labour)- sent me a WhatsApp wishing me a happy birthday two years ago during the Labour primary. Also spoke to our university's Labour cell when I was there- VERY boring speaker.

* MK Merav Michaeli (Labour, now leader)- took a picture during the Tel Aviv Pride Parade two years ago. She was nice.

* MK Michal Biran (Labour)- sent me a happy birthday WhatsApp during that same primary. Later, after she came to a panel in the university and I had some question for her on the economy, I texted her and instead of replying something general she actually called me and we had a long, interesting talk. Last year, she sent me a WhatsApp talking about some new organization she's founded that works to promote shared parenthood (eg. a gay couple and a straight woman, like she did). I answered warmly and she sent me a picture of her baby Cheesy. This year, before the Labour primaries, she asked me if I know how to vote. Definitely the nicest politician I ever interacted with.

* MK Stav Shaffir (Labour\Green)- I volunteered for her primary campaign two years ago, and she met us at a Jerusalem volunteer meeting. She was very nice in person (specifically remember her hugging the radiator, lol). A year later, during the Labour leadership primary, I volunteered for her as well and she met us again on campus, where she told us some political gossip about Shmuli as well. She didn't recognize me when I asked to take a picture with her in the Tel Aviv Pride Parade that year though, lol.

I also saw Avi Gabbay (former Labour leader- made me like him a lot less each time) speak in person, and Tzipi Livni and Amir Peretz once. Also saw panels with different politicians. The most noteable was a panel in my tiny periphery school where Likud sent their obscure #30 member- Oren Hazan, who after Likud won way more than expected became a controversial celebrity as MK. In another I participated as a protestor- all the leftie forces on campus busted a debate organized by the law student association where they invited the Kahanist Itamar Ben Gvir- we made sure the red line was drawn on these violent racists.

Also Lester Wolff follows me on Twitter
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2021, 03:12:09 PM »

I once ran into Al Franken at a movie theater. This was after the election but before he was seated as Senator, or before even Obama took office (movie was Milk. It was the day after Thanksgiving.)

Real shame that story is kind of ruined now, at the time and for over a decade later I thought it was really cool.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2021, 03:15:14 PM »

* Senator Bill Nelson came to my school when I was 13 and I was the middle school representative in the meeting with him in the library. I mostly talked to Dan Shapiro because I was dreaming to be a diplomat back then, but it was interesting in retrospect.

Aww ngl, I treated Bill Nelson the exact same way the 2nd time I met him because I was much more interested in talking to Joe Biden than I was to Bill. If you're reading this Bill, I'm sorry, I still love you but Uncle Joe was literally right there!!
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2021, 03:29:21 PM »

Aww ngl, I treated Bill Nelson the exact same way the 2nd time I met him because I was much more interested in talking to Joe Biden than I was to Bill. If you're reading this Bill, I'm sorry, I still love you but Uncle Joe was literally right there!!

I thought he was John Glenn for YEARS until I found a newspaper with a piece about this, lol. I just remembered he was a Democrat (because I asked him) and a former astronaut and old so I just assumed Glenn.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2021, 07:47:30 PM »

I can’t believe I’m admitting to this but mid 2017 in the summer, I was at a bar named flats fix with some guys and I struck up a conversation with the cute bartender. After some talking and flirting I managed to talk her to going back to my place. It was just a one night stand and we didn’t exchange numbers but a year later I saw her again...on tv when she was running against Joe Crowley

So, you had a one night stand with the next President of the United States? Awesome!!!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2021, 08:31:51 PM »

I can’t believe I’m admitting to this but mid 2017 in the summer, I was at a bar named flats fix with some guys and I struck up a conversation with the cute bartender. After some talking and flirting I managed to talk her to going back to my place. It was just a one night stand and we didn’t exchange numbers but a year later I saw her again...on tv when she was running against Joe Crowley

So, you had a one night stand with the next President of the United States? Awesome!!!

In actuality, AOC has apparently been with her boyfriend since at least 2016, so either that relationship's a lot rockier than they publicly let on, or occam's razor-ing it, Hindsight's f**king with us.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2021, 08:19:46 AM »

Most MPs I have met but few are of much interest.

Alok Sharma talking with his mouth full and James Cleverly butchering the pronunciation of a constituency name spring to mind though.  Oh, and grumpy Jezza.

Dehenna Davison once sat next to me at a parliamentary event and it took me embarrassingly long to recognise her.  To be fair she was a very new MP however she had featured in quite a few biopics in Tory papers.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2021, 02:21:35 PM »

A family member co-wrote a book - it was a very obscure topic, something about accounting practices, but it had a book launch. Somehow they got Ivan Mikloš, then Slovakia's Minister of Finance to be a special guest. I was 10 at the time (why did I even go there?), so the only thing I remember was being very bored because he was two hours late. But at least I got a photo taken with him lol.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2021, 01:18:18 PM »

John Fetterman follows me on Twitter. Idk if that counts as weird. I pretty much just asked him to and he did.

Malcolm Kenyatta also follows me on Twitter now. Whomever unfollows me last will get my vote.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2021, 11:53:27 PM »

I roomed with Jerome Cavanagh for 12 years in Saskatoon. AMA
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to: