S.20.4.9 - Christmas Cheer Act [DEBATE]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:22:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.4.9 - Christmas Cheer Act [DEBATE]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: S.20.4.9 - Christmas Cheer Act [DEBATE]  (Read 1215 times)
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2020, 01:45:14 AM »

AN ACT
to make Christmas wholesome again

Section 1: Naming and Definitions.

I. The name of this act shall be: Christmas Cheer Act

Section 2: Costumes

On Christmas, the following costumes will be worn in the chamber:
I. The Governor will wear a Santa costume
II. The southern speaker will wear an Elf costume
III. The southern delegates will wear a Reindeer costume
III. The southern deputy speaker will wear a Rudolph costume

Section 3: Christmas Card
I. A Christmas card of Benson will be sent to everyone in the South. The Christmas card will say, "Merry Christmas from the Benson family. We wish you the best during these trying times. The Coronavirus pandemic and economic recession has put a lot of stress on everyone. Let the people around you know that they are loved during the holidays, and may God and the South always be with you. Times may be Ruff, but we'll have a bone together when the dust is settled." - Benson

Section 4: Christmas Goodies

I. All "Happy Holidays" signs on government property will be changed to "Merry Christmas"
II. Carrots will have a 0% tax rate until March 1, 2021
III. Chocolate and hot chocolate will have a 0% tax rate until March 1, 2021
III. All elected officials of the Labor party who reside in the South will be sent coal in the mail.
IV. A $100,000 check will be written to the coal mine with the best Labor standards. Only coal mines that employ 50 employees or more are eligible to win this contest. The winning mine must send the southern government their highest quality coal possible.
V. All Elves employed in the south must be guaranteed $200 extra hazard pay until January 1, 2021
VI. All cable news networks will be required to run Holiday movies from 8 PM to 10 PM on the week of December 21 - December 25. It's time to take a break from the news.

Section 5: Funding

I. Labor party officeholders will send a $500 check from their salary to the Southern government to make up for their war on coal and Christmas

Sponsor: DTC (Federalist - Georgia)

At least 48 hours for debate. The gentleman from Georgia is invited to advocate.

(Speaker's note: DTC's immigration bill will hopefully be put on the floor sometime later today, so stay tuned)
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 01:52:49 AM »

This bill is just a bunch of goodies that I think will make the Holiday season a bit better for everyone. This bill is far from complete; feel free to suggest any changes you see fit. You don't have to submit a formal amendment - we'll transcribe your words into an amendment if you don't feel like writing a formal amendment. We'll vote on a bunch of amendments at once after 128 hours have passed.

Everyone is welcome to suggest changes!!!
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 04:25:56 AM »

Regarding Section 2 - are members of the chamber expected to work on Christmas?
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -7.22

P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 02:20:21 PM »

This is overreach and belongs in some kind of alternate history museum where Atlasia is a theocratic nightmare state.

Will be voting NAY on this bill.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 02:37:58 PM »

This is overreach and belongs in some kind of alternate history museum where Atlasia is a theocratic nightmare state.

The War On Christmas continues at full speed. Disgraceful!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 03:40:14 PM »

Some amendments will be needed, but I love to see Section 3!!!
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 05:42:06 PM »

The "War on Christmas" is a pretext to indulge in antisemitism and Islamophobia.  The denizens of Atlasia deserve better than this. 
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 07:23:04 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2020, 07:27:10 PM by Muad'dib (OSR MSR) »

The "War on Christmas" is a pretext to indulge in antisemitism and Islamophobia.  The denizens of Atlasia deserve better than this.  

Firstly, Muslims believe in the Virgin Birth of Jesus. Christmas is about the birth of Jesus. I've been in advent pageants where a large portion of the participants were Muslims. Secondly, Christianity is far more Judophillic than other belief systems. What Christians call the Old Testament is the entire Jewish bible and is a part of canon. Also people refer to "Judeo-Christian values" for reason. The people of the South deserve better than your low effort name calling BS.

Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 10:08:39 AM »

That's not a very cheerful holiday spirit.

Happy holidays to you and yours!
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2020, 12:36:26 PM »

The "War on Christmas" is a pretext to indulge in antisemitism and Islamophobia.  The denizens of Atlasia deserve better than this. 

Imagine unironically thinking this...
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2020, 01:25:56 PM »

I'll start.

AN ACT

I. A Christmas card of Benson will be sent to everyone in the South. The Christmas card will say, "Merry Christmas from the Benson family. We wish you the best during these trying times. The Coronavirus pandemic and economic recession has put a lot of stress on everyone. Let the people around you know that they are loved during the holidays, and may God and the South always be with you. Times may be Ruff, but we'll have a bone together when the dust is settled." - Benson

I. All "Happy Holidays" signs on government property will be changed to "Merry Christmas"
III. All elected officials of the Labor party who reside in the South will be sent coal in the mail.
IV. A $100,000 check will be written to the coal mine with the best Labor standards. Only coal mines that employ 50 employees or more are eligible to win this contest. The winning mine must send the southern government their highest quality coal possible.
V. All Elves employed in the south must be guaranteed $200 extra hazard pay until January 1, 2021
VI. All cable news networks will be required to run Holiday movies from 8 PM to 10 PM on the week of December 21 - December 25. It's time to take a break from the news.

I. Labor party officeholders will send a $500 check from their salary to the Southern government to make up for their war on coal and Christmas

I'm fine with the rest, even the Christmas card from Benson. I'm just worried that 4.1 violates Article 1 Section 3 of the Atlasian Republic's Fourth Constitution.

24 hours to object.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2020, 06:50:08 PM »

I'll start.

AN ACT

I'm fine with the rest, even the Christmas card from Benson. I'm just worried that 4.1 violates Article 1 Section 3 of the Atlasian Republic's Fourth Constitution.

24 hours to object.

I object. Chanukah will be done by the time this bill is passed, and Christmas is very widely celebrated and should be specifically mentioned
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2020, 06:59:33 PM »

I object. Chanukah will be done by the time this bill is passed, and Christmas is very widely celebrated and should be specifically mentioned

Eh, even with Hanukkah over, the idea of the region officially endorsing a religious holiday is still kinda questionable. If the South were a business and not a government entity, I'd rubber stamp it with no qualifications, but I'm just concerned about the constitutional implications of this clause.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2020, 10:43:46 PM »

Eh, even with Hanukkah over, the idea of the region officially endorsing a religious holiday is still kinda questionable. If the South were a business and not a government entity, I'd rubber stamp it with no qualifications, but I'm just concerned about the constitutional implications of this clause.

You realize what our region's motto is, right?
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2020, 12:52:06 AM »

1. I never said I liked our motto.
2. The motto doesn't mention any specific God, whether it be the Christian God, Allah, YHWH, etc. The motto, while still not being good, doesn't respect the establishment of any specific religion. Christmas celebrates the birth of the central figure of a specific religion, Jesus Christ of Nazareth.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2020, 06:46:01 AM »

2. The motto doesn't mention any specific God, whether it be the Christian God, Allah, YHWH, etc. The motto, while still not being good, doesn't respect the establishment of any specific religion. Christmas celebrates the birth of the central figure of a specific religion, Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

Matthew 6:33
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2020, 09:15:08 AM »

Point #1 still applies. It's a terrible motto. We're a government, not a church.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2020, 10:33:59 AM »

Point #1 still applies. It's a terrible motto. We're a government, not a church.

How is the Southern Gov't recognizing Christmas, the most vastly celebrated holiday in our region in December than any other holiday, any more a violation of the Constitution than say, the Federal Gov't recognizing Christmas as a federal holiday? In fact many Southern states already recognize Christmas as a legal holiday and it also has never been any real issue. Christmas also has great importance to the South in regards to the Civil War, as that was a day both sides did not fight. It was a day of peace and rest, and a way for both sides to bond over a common holiday.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2020, 03:59:17 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2020, 04:03:42 PM by Mike Madigan for Illinois House Speaker! »

How is the Southern Gov't recognizing Christmas, the most vastly celebrated holiday in our region in December than any other holiday, any more a violation of the Constitution than say, the Federal Gov't recognizing Christmas as a federal holiday? In fact many Southern states already recognize Christmas as a legal holiday and it also has never been any real issue. Christmas also has great importance to the South in regards to the Civil War, as that was a day both sides did not fight. It was a day of peace and rest, and a way for both sides to bond over a common holiday.

Why is bonding with the Civil War-era South considered a good thing? The ante-bellum South needed to have its society completely destroyed and rebuilt. One of the tragedies of history is that reconstruction ended so soon, if the Radical Republicans had their way, so many of our modern problems would have been fixed. Anyways the antebellum South was based on the idea that human bondage was not only allowed, but in fact was the backbone of their economy. The antebellum South was a despicable society and deserved nothing less than a completion destruction to the very foundations of it. Plus, let's not forget that with the Dred Scott ruling, etc., the South was actually in a very good position before seceding. Yet extremists like Robert Rhett and William Yancey thought it did not go far enough, and started for pushing for secession, and that to to defend a system of human bondage, the South started the war when they didn't need to, and their justification for war was based on pure evil, nothing less than total destruction of their society should be justified.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2020, 04:03:44 PM »

Why is bonding with the Civil War-era South considered a good thing? The ante-bellum South needed to have its society completely destroyed and rebuilt. One of the tragedies of history is that reconstruction ended so soon, if the Radical Republicans had their way, so many of our modern problems would have been fixed. Anyways the antebellum South was based on the idea that human bondage was not only allowed, but in fact was the backbone of their economy. The antebellum South was a despicable society and deserved nothing less than a completion destruction to the very foundations of it. Plus, let's not forget that with the Dred Scott ruling, etc., the South was actually in a very good position before seceding. Yet extremists like Robert Rhett and William Yancey thought it did not go far enough, and started for pushing for secession, and that to to defend a system of human bondage, the South started the war when they didn't need to, and their justification for war was based on pure evil, nothing more than total destruction of their society should be justified.
The point is, both sides came together on Christmas, and put together their differences and not fight.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2020, 04:09:38 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2020, 04:25:21 PM by Mike Madigan for Illinois House Speaker! »

Why is bonding with the Civil War-era South considered a good thing? The ante-bellum South needed to have its society completely destroyed and rebuilt. One of the tragedies of history is that reconstruction ended so soon, if the Radical Republicans had their way, so many of our modern problems would have been fixed. Anyways the antebellum South was based on the idea that human bondage was not only allowed, but in fact was the backbone of their economy. The antebellum South was a despicable society and deserved nothing less than a completion destruction to the very foundations of it. Plus, let's not forget that with the Dred Scott ruling, etc., the South was actually in a very good position before seceding. Yet extremists like Robert Rhett and William Yancey thought it did not go far enough, and started for pushing for secession, and that to to defend a system of human bondage, the South started the war when they didn't need to, and their justification for war was based on pure evil, nothing more than total destruction of their society should be justified.
The point is, both sides came together on Christmas, and put together their differences and not fight.

https://imgflip.com/memetemplate/112135816/my-point-you
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2020, 04:10:09 PM »

Wait lmao why haven't these been talked about. III seems discriminatory, and VI probably s with coverage in Lincoln and Fremont and might violate some censorship laws lol
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2020, 04:24:07 PM »

Wait lmao why haven't these been talked about. III seems discriminatory, and VI probably s with coverage in Lincoln and Fremont and might violate some censorship laws lol

Yeah VI clearly can't be done given how programming is based on media markets, not state or county. Philadelphia's media market for instance covers all of Southeast PA, most of South Jersey, and Delaware's two northern counties. St. Louis' media market covers much of Illinois, including East Saint Louis and much of the Little Egypt region. Also Cincinnati's media market extends into Northeast Kentucky. So, yeah this isn't working, unless you specifically exempt these media markets from it, and there might be more, media markets are a mess, look at this picture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_television_markets#/media/File:United_States_Designated_Market_Areas_2013.svg
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2020, 04:49:48 AM »

Quote from: SuburBAN019

Ah the Irony Wink

I see SuburBAN STILL can't keep to his own lane.

Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2020, 11:58:30 AM »

Honestly I'm against the coal mine reward too.  Coal mines are being phased out across Atlasia.  We don't want to reward corporations who profit off of destroying our planet.

It's not even going to the workers either.  How evil can you get?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies