Who do you think the greatest american is?How about for other nationalities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:30:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Who do you think the greatest american is?How about for other nationalities
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Who do you think the greatest american is?How about for other nationalities  (Read 1966 times)
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2021, 10:05:41 AM »

I guess nowadays King Juan Carlos would be nowhere to be seen, Prince Felipe would be lower, if he made it at all and González would not make the top 10. I suppose Saint Teresa may not make it either since religion is weaker now. Adolfo Suárez probably still makes it though, his legacy is viewed more critically but still viewed quite positively. Finally I guess since Columbus' legacy is viewed more negatively these days he might not make it but who knows, maybe the #woke voices are too loud and have less relevance irl and he makes it but in a lower position.

Ramón y Cajal, Picasso, Cervantes would easily make it again.

In their replacement, I suppose Spain might add some more artists, though I guess my countrymen would disappoint me and instead add footballers or something.

Cristoforo Colombo, heretically called Cristóbal Colón by you people, does not belong in a list of Spanish people at all. (sane, normal, Italian)
he doesn't belong on the Italian or American one either

Of the greatest? No, I agree. But I was talking about a list of people in general, and he obviously belongs to the list of Italian people.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2021, 10:06:49 AM »

Of the greatest? No, I agree. But I was talking about a list of people in general, and he obviously belongs to the list of Italian people.
yes, take him so none of the rest of us have to Smiley
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2021, 10:10:19 AM »

yes, take him so none of the rest of us have to Smiley

Very good reasoning Smiley
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2021, 01:59:09 PM »

Belgium:

1   Father Damien
2   Paul Janssen
3   Eddy Merckx
4   Ambiorix
5   Adolf Daens
6   Andreas Vesalius
7   Jacques Brel
8   Gerardus Mercator
9   Sir Peter Paul Rubens
10   Hendrik Conscience

my top:
1. Julien Lahaut
2. Paul-Henri Spaak
3. Achiel Van Acker

Disgusted with King Leopold II on place 13th in Wallonia (nowhere to be seen in Flanders, tho), ew. Julien Lahaut on place 45 in Flanders surprised me. (nowhere to be seen in Wallonia, where he originated from and had much more support)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2021, 06:04:50 PM »

Greatest Briton I'll go with Charles Darwin. Probably the individual whose discoveries have done more than any individual to shape our understanding of man's place in the universe. On another day I might have said Shakespeare or Newton though.

For Scotland, there's Robert Burns, James Watt or Alexander Fleming. Or David Hume or Adam Smith. Difficult to pick between any of those really.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2021, 06:41:52 PM »

I agree, I would even make a claim for him being one of the greatest people ever.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2021, 06:48:03 PM »

As for Denmark it had to choose, but I lean toward Tycho Brahe with Řrsted being the main competitor, most of the other great thing in Danish history were more teamwork, but Brahe did his work very much singlehanded and created much the raw data necessary for other observations of the universe, while his data would likely have been made by other, it could have happen decades later slowing down much of the natural sciences.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies