Texas lawmaker to file bill calling for vote on secession from US
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 09:00:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Texas lawmaker to file bill calling for vote on secession from US
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Texas lawmaker to file bill calling for vote on secession from US  (Read 2642 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2020, 07:06:47 AM »

I don't suppose his bill has Texas paying the Federal government back, with interest, for the Republic of Texas debt the U.S. assumed at annexation.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2020, 02:40:32 PM »

I don't suppose his bill has Texas paying the Federal government back, with interest, for the Republic of Texas debt the U.S. assumed at annexation.
Wasn’t the deal that TX reduced its size so that the government would take on their debt? They had land going all the way up to Wyoming iirc
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2020, 03:37:01 PM »

Let Texas, Florida, South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and all of the states in Appalachia, the Ozarka, and the mountain west leave the country and become part of the Republic of MAGA.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2020, 03:57:19 PM »

Ok, I mean we keep the military bases, but otherwise don’t let the door hit you.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2020, 04:45:14 PM »

Let Texas, Florida, South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and all of the states in Appalachia, the Ozarka, and the mountain west leave the country and become part of the Republic of MAGA.

Do you seriously have no empathy for all the minorities, women, LGBT’s, and just people in general this would put in serious danger if that happened?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2020, 04:48:21 PM »

Wasn’t the deal that TX reduced its size so that the government would take on their debt? They had land going all the way up to Wyoming iirc

The western border of Texas was a matter of disagreement that provided the excuse for the Mexican-American War.  A good deal of modern Texas, let alone the absurdly expansive claims of the Republic of Texas were never part of Texas when it was part of Mexico.

1821 Map of Mexico (Wikimedia Commons)

Mexico never formally recognized Texan independence, let alone Texas' expansive territorial claims prior to the Mexican-American War, tho it had grudgingly recognized that it had lost control of the old Imperial province of Texas and that it wasn't worth the effort that would be needed to force Texas back into the Mexican Union.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2020, 05:04:38 PM »

While this would be a terrible idea for all the reasons mentioned, I have to admit there's a certain attraction to removing Ted Cruz and Louie Gohmert from the U.S. political scene.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2020, 06:05:08 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2020, 06:12:59 PM by Cashew »

Do you seriously have no empathy for all the minorities, women, LGBT’s, and just people in general this would put in serious danger if that happened?

Do you seriously have no empathy for all the people with crippling medical debt who could finally have relief if the Republican states obstructing progress finally left the union? I get it would suck for you personally but it's not a black and white issue like you and many others may believe. There are also vulnerable populations living in non atlas blue states that are losers under the status quo of a 50 state union that could benefit immensely if Democrats could finally legislate without Republican obstruction, they just aren't mentioned because we are used to this normal. Let me mention that I would not be very enthusiastic about this happening under the current political alignment with racial polarization in the south leaving blacks underrepresented, but holding that stance does not make you terrible person and the heartstrings game can be played by both sides on this issue.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2020, 07:42:31 PM »

Honestly, let them at this point. Our country is basically two different countries forced into an unhappy marriage at this point.

The only downside is that Texas has the makings of a future sane state and it would be a waste for them to no longer be part of the sane Union when that times comes.

I am a gay liberal democrat in the rural south please for my life’s sake don’t do this

I envision some sort of policy that offers monetary restitution for people like yourself to move to the new Bluenited States (tentative name) where you'd be welcomed and protected. I haven't forgotten about the marginalized or vulnerable left in the seceded Republican states. And it should also work vice versa, if a Republican doesn't want to live in the Bluenited States they should be allowed to have the means to move away. They probably wouldn't be openly persecuted for reasons beyond their control though.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2020, 09:06:33 PM »

I've been warning you that a lot of segregation/separation is coming
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2020, 09:23:44 PM »

Population transfers would have to occur. I would gladly trade all of the Trumpers from my town and county for individuals from Trump states who are minorities, LGBT+, women, and people with the same political views as me.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2020, 09:55:03 PM »

Funny how all the states that want to secede are the ones that are receiving more federal money than they pay--how's that going to work out?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2020, 09:56:18 PM »

Population transfers would have to occur. I would gladly trade all of the Trumpers from my town and county for individuals from Trump states who are minorities, LGBT+, women, and people with the same political views as me.

That is genocide. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2020, 09:58:20 PM »

Honestly, let them at this point. Our country is basically two different countries forced into an unhappy marriage at this point.

The only downside is that Texas has the makings of a future sane state and it would be a waste for them to no longer be part of the sane Union when that times comes.

I am a gay liberal democrat in the rural south please for my life’s sake don’t do this

I envision some sort of policy that offers monetary restitution for people like yourself to move to the new Bluenited States (tentative name) where you'd be welcomed and protected. I haven't forgotten about the marginalized or vulnerable left in the seceded Republican states. And it should also work vice versa, if a Republican doesn't want to live in the Bluenited States they should be allowed to have the means to move away. They probably wouldn't be openly persecuted for reasons beyond their control though.

Hell no. I'm not moving anywhere. The seditious traitors can move to another country if they don't like America. They don't get to have my state, nor can they have anyone else's.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2020, 10:00:33 PM »

Do you seriously have no empathy for all the people with crippling medical debt who could finally have relief if the Republican states obstructing progress finally left the union? I get it would suck for you personally but it's not a black and white issue like you and many others may believe. There are also vulnerable populations living in non atlas blue states that are losers under the status quo of a 50 state union that could benefit immensely if Democrats could finally legislate without Republican obstruction, they just aren't mentioned because we are used to this normal. Let me mention that I would not be very enthusiastic about this happening under the current political alignment with racial polarization in the south leaving blacks underrepresented, but holding that stance does not make you terrible person and the heartstrings game can be played by both sides on this issue.

Not a single blue state has ever established its own single payer health care system, and only a couple have even shown a vague interest. You don't get to throw shade at red state liberals for something your blue state could provide to you but chooses not to.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2020, 10:09:53 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2020, 10:23:50 PM by Cashew »

Not a single blue state has ever established its own single payer health care system, and only a couple have even shown a vague interest. You don't get to throw shade at red state liberals for something your blue state could provide to you but chooses not to.

Who said anything about states establishing their own single payer system, there is a good reason that has not been tried and people look to the federal government instead, I said "republican states obstructing progress" which they can obviously only do through their representatives in congress. I have also thrown no shade at red state liberals, the closest I have come is throwing back a loaded emotional appeal. Please calm down before you misread my intentions once again or say something you will later regret.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2020, 10:35:25 PM »

Who said anything about states establishing their own single payer system, there is a good reason that has not been tried and people look to the federal government instead, I said "republican states obstructing progress" which they can obviously only do through their representatives in congress. I have also thrown no shade at red state liberals, the closest I have come is throwing back a loaded emotional appeal. Please calm down before you misread my intentions once again or say something you will later regret.

"Later regret" ?? Um.... Roll Eyes

Anyhow, there's no reason at all why California can't have its own single payer system. It has more people than Canada, Australia, and a bunch of other countries that have it already. You can just as easily blame the Democratic politicians in Sacramento who could pass single payer tomorrow but won't.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2020, 11:07:42 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2020, 11:14:06 PM by Cashew »

"Later regret" ?? Um.... Roll Eyes

Anyhow, there's no reason at all why California can't have its own single payer system. It has more people than Canada, Australia, and a bunch of other countries that have it already. You can just as easily blame the Democratic politicians in Sacramento who could pass single payer tomorrow but won't.

I don't want to get too deep into this so let me be blunt here, even assuming you are right and California could just through all the hurdles and pass single payer I would be among the likely few who oppose it on the same principle that I use to oppose many of the states environmental regulations, that being that all the states in the union should share in the burden. It's wrong for California to have to pay for a disproportionate amount of the country's sick and disabled population that will inevitably be attracted by the state's healthcare policies. It's wrong for California to go through all this trouble to reduce carbon emissions, (the effects of which will not be localized) when other states do not put in the same effort. It was a real struggle for me to vote yes on prop 15, but I'm not that upset it lost either since that means Texas will not be further rewarded for it's race to the bottom policies. That said now that I have made my view of federal action as the only acceptable option we can move on from this distraction and back to the matter at hand.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2020, 12:21:26 AM »

That is genocide. 

It literally isn't. Where in this is anybody advocating harming or killing anybody?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2020, 01:44:08 AM »

Hell no. I'm not moving anywhere. The seditious traitors can move to another country if they don't like America. They don't get to have my state, nor can they have anyone else's.
I find it ironic you say that secession shouldn't happen but then you want force  Puerto Rico to be a state because it narrowly voted for statehood.

I think secession is garbage and I agree with you on that.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2020, 01:57:00 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2020, 02:00:31 AM by Virginia Yellow Dog »

That is genocide.  

It literally isn't. Where in this is anybody advocating harming or killing anybody?

When there are population transfers, it is more than likely it will be accompanied by violence (hence genocide), and in any event population transfers are a human rights violation since it is next to impossible to ensure they can be truly voluntary.  

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2020, 07:28:41 PM »

Yeah, I know. I'm mostly flippantly exaggerating as a reflection of my exhaustion with what this country has become. In all honesty, much like with a Second American Civil War, secession really wouldn't realistically happen either due to the fact that the divisions in our nation aren't sectarian, like in the 1860's, as much as they are demographic now.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies