Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:27:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 112
Author Topic: Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)  (Read 133600 times)
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2021, 01:44:53 PM »

This is a good get, and surprisingly this union backed Biden pretty heavily in 2020 apparently. It seems like Turner has very deep connections to Cleveland organized labor, which I think might have been overshadowed by all the progressive firebrandiness she's been doing since 2016.

If nothing else, I would really love to see donut twitter/KHive completely lose it and donate tons of money to whatever Republican grifter opposes her.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #176 on: February 23, 2021, 02:14:38 PM »

This is a good get, and surprisingly this union backed Biden pretty heavily in 2020 apparently. It seems like Turner has very deep connections to Cleveland organized labor, which I think might have been overshadowed by all the progressive firebrandiness she's been doing since 2016.

If nothing else, I would really love to see donut twitter/KHive completely lose it and donate tons of money to whatever Republican grifter opposes her.

Donut twitter?
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #177 on: February 23, 2021, 04:42:23 PM »

Donut twitter?

From what I've gathered it's basically moderate hero twitter with the donut with a symbol of bothsidesism, but it still baffles me.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #178 on: February 23, 2021, 05:09:17 PM »

Donut twitter?

Back in 2017, I think, Turner and some other people from Our Revolution tried to goto the DNC HQ to give some policy suggestions or something but were blocked by barricades. They were offered donuts and water, which Turner found insulting given that they weren't being heard, which led to a lot of centrist libs on Twitter adopting it as a symbol of antipathy towards the Bernie wing in general and Nina Turnr/Our Revolution specifically.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #179 on: February 23, 2021, 06:13:19 PM »

Donut twitter?

Back in 2017, I think, Turner and some other people from Our Revolution tried to goto the DNC HQ to give some policy suggestions or something but were blocked by barricades. They were offered donuts and water, which Turner found insulting given that they weren't being heard, which led to a lot of centrist libs on Twitter adopting it as a symbol of antipathy towards the Bernie wing in general and Nina Turnr/Our Revolution specifically.

Literally haven’t heard of this before, but in any case, no one’s gonna donate to Turner’s Republican opponent except the time of Republican who gets duped every two years into donating to whichever random grifter is running against AOC or Maxine Waters.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #180 on: February 23, 2021, 06:48:43 PM »

Obsessed. Kamala is VP and some of y'all still bring these people up no matter how irrelevant they are to the topic at hand.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #181 on: February 23, 2021, 06:57:19 PM »

Obsessed. Kamala is VP and some of y'all still bring these people up no matter how irrelevant they are to the topic at hand.

While I like Harris fine she has the second most toxic Twitter fanbase after Trump.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #182 on: February 23, 2021, 07:03:13 PM »

I can show you numerous examples of pretty prominent members of her Twitter fanbase attacking Turner, if you like. That aside, it was just a silly speculation, I frankly don't actually care much what they do.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #183 on: February 23, 2021, 07:46:55 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2021, 08:35:43 PM by sawx »

Donut twitter?

Literally haven’t heard of this before, but in any case, no one’s gonna donate to Turner’s Republican opponent except the time of Republican who gets duped every two years into donating to whichever random grifter is running against AOC or Maxine Waters.

It's all some weird-ass Online thing that the centrists are doing. I don't think anyone of real consequence there would do it. The only one who would even consider it is Sally Albright, who is such an asshole that Neera thinks she's an asshole.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #184 on: February 23, 2021, 08:05:08 PM »

I know that you are a staunch supporter of Harris, but that doesn't mean that she should be completely shielded from legitimate criticism. And it doesn't mean that supporters or allies of hers should be excused from legitimate criticism either.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #185 on: February 24, 2021, 11:53:21 PM »

Donut twitter?

Yeah, after Trump got elected, her and a bunch of other Green Party / YouTube grifter types came up with a "People's Platform" that was just a rebranding of Bernie's platform.  They've been doing this almost every year -- rehashing the main bumper sticker policies from Bernie's campaign as some new platform or new "movement" or new party, collecting fame/fortune, then immediately forgetting about it.

Anyway, Nina wanted some attention, so she got a handful of her Twitter followers together to go march to the DNC headquarters and hand-deliver the platform to the DNC.  I'm not sure what her followers were told to expect, but Debbie Wasserman Schultz wasn't sitting on her throne waiting for a people's platform.  DNC HQ is just a bunch of low-level staffers and fundraisers.  So for a lack of anything else to do, they just milled around outside for a couple hours and chanted their slogans into a bullhorn and waived signs about the rigged election and livestreamed for their fans.

There were also some barricades in front of the HQ, which Nina claimed were put there specifically to block her from entering.  You can actually see the barricades in question if you just look up the building on street view.  Like, they're always there.

Anyway, some low-level DNC interns decided to bring some refreshments out to the crowd.  Some boxes of donuts, some water coolers, that kind of thing.  Maybe it was a gesture of goodwill.  Maybe the interns actually supported Bernie and Nina and their movement.  But Nina thought it was "seduction":

They tried to seduce us with donuts and water,' she said. 'They’re pompous and arrogant enough to say to the people, you’re not good enough to be on our property — and, oh by the way, we’re just gonna hand you donuts and water over the barricade. That is insulting. Absolutely insulting.

This was such an arrogant, entitled and bizarre thing to say that a bunch of people decided to make fun of her by putting donuts in their Twitter avatars.  The one thing they all have in common is that they think Green Party Nina is a ridiculous clown.  Naturally that makes them an easy target for Nina stans, who do what leftists on Twitter always do by launching 24/7 character assassination campaigns against the most prominent "donut twitter" personalities.

So, that's that story.
Dipper Josh

« Reply #186 on: March 11, 2021, 02:09:14 PM »

Donut twitter?

Yeah, after Trump got elected, her and a bunch of other Green Party / YouTube grifter types came up with a "People's Platform" that was just a rebranding of Bernie's platform.  They've been doing this almost every year -- rehashing the main bumper sticker policies from Bernie's campaign as some new platform or new "movement" or new party, collecting fame/fortune, then immediately forgetting about it.

Anyway, Nina wanted some attention, so she got a handful of her Twitter followers together to go march to the DNC headquarters and hand-deliver the platform to the DNC.  I'm not sure what her followers were told to expect, but Debbie Wasserman Schultz wasn't sitting on her throne waiting for a people's platform.  DNC HQ is just a bunch of low-level staffers and fundraisers.  So for a lack of anything else to do, they just milled around outside for a couple hours and chanted their slogans into a bullhorn and waived signs about the rigged election and livestreamed for their fans.

There were also some barricades in front of the HQ, which Nina claimed were put there specifically to block her from entering.  You can actually see the barricades in question if you just look up the building on street view.  Like, they're always there.

Anyway, some low-level DNC interns decided to bring some refreshments out to the crowd.  Some boxes of donuts, some water coolers, that kind of thing.  Maybe it was a gesture of goodwill.  Maybe the interns actually supported Bernie and Nina and their movement.  But Nina thought it was "seduction":

They tried to seduce us with donuts and water,' she said. 'They’re pompous and arrogant enough to say to the people, you’re not good enough to be on our property — and, oh by the way, we’re just gonna hand you donuts and water over the barricade. That is insulting. Absolutely insulting.

This was such an arrogant, entitled and bizarre thing to say that a bunch of people decided to make fun of her by putting donuts in their Twitter avatars.  The one thing they all have in common is that they think Green Party Nina is a ridiculous clown.  Naturally that makes them an easy target for Nina stans, who do what leftists on Twitter always do by launching 24/7 character assassination campaigns against the most prominent "donut twitter" personalities.

So, that's that story.

Lol

anyway, Local 1199 has just under 30000 members so this is a big pickup.

Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #187 on: March 11, 2021, 02:47:19 PM »

Now that Fudge has resigned, has the election been scheduled yet?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #188 on: March 11, 2021, 03:21:47 PM »

Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #189 on: March 11, 2021, 03:33:25 PM »

Lol

anyway, Local 1199 has just under 30000 members so this is a big pickup.

SEIU 1199 endorsing Nina Turner is actually a major deal.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #190 on: March 18, 2021, 06:10:49 PM »

Another major union endorsement for Nina Turner.

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #191 on: March 18, 2021, 06:17:45 PM »

Primary scheduled for August 3, General for November 2: www.wkyc.com/amp/article/news/politics/elections/election-ohio-11th-congressional-district-november-2-2021/95-1d0a664f-2a11-41a9-8e7e-e16c8497b41b
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #192 on: March 18, 2021, 06:29:20 PM »

Primary scheduled for August 3, General for November 2: www.wkyc.com/amp/article/news/politics/elections/election-ohio-11th-congressional-district-november-2-2021/95-1d0a664f-2a11-41a9-8e7e-e16c8497b41b

What on earth? Keeping a seat open for nearly a year - depriving residents of both representation and key constituent services - presumably just to keep the Dems' majority one seat narrower? Is there any other reasonable explanation here? This is something I'd expect from a DeSantis or a Noem, but not DeWine. There should really be some laws in place here about how soon a special election has to be scheduled following a vacancy.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #193 on: March 18, 2021, 07:05:56 PM »

What on earth? Keeping a seat open for nearly a year - depriving residents of both representation and key constituent services - presumably just to keep the Dems' majority one seat narrower? Is there any other reasonable explanation here? This is something I'd expect from a DeSantis or a Noem, but not DeWine. There should really be some laws in place here about how soon a special election has to be scheduled following a vacancy.

Sadly, the only law in Ohio is that a special has to be held eventually. We're lucky he didn't elect to leave the seat empty until Late 2022 like Rick Snyder did with the Conyers seat in the 115th Congress.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #194 on: March 18, 2021, 07:48:50 PM »

Sadly, the only law in Ohio is that a special has to be held eventually. We're lucky he didn't elect to leave the seat empty until Late 2022 like Rick Snyder did with the Conyers seat in the 115th Congress.

Wow - I’m disgusted. All the institutional barriers that black and brown people face in this country, and DeWine - a supposedly “reasonable” Republican because he subscribes to some common sense beliefs like masks help prevent the spread of disease and Biden won the election - sees fit to deprive hundreds of thousands of black voters of congressional representation as part of a cynical partisan game. This party is truly beyond repair and anyone who continues to support it should feel ashamed.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #195 on: March 18, 2021, 10:21:21 PM »

NNU isn't a major union, lol.  It's basically an arm of the Sanders campaign.  This endorsement is about as valuable as the Kyle Kulinski endorsement.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #196 on: March 18, 2021, 11:58:05 PM »

NNU isn't a major union, lol.  It's basically an arm of the Sanders campaign.  This endorsement is about as valuable as the Kyle Kulinski endorsement.

It is literally the largest registered nurse union in the country with over 150k members.
Don't belittle a labor union just because they campaigned for a politician you don't fancy.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2021, 08:31:20 AM »

Perhaps he wanted it to coincide with the Cleveland Mayoral election in November?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #198 on: March 19, 2021, 09:45:11 AM »

Wow - I’m disgusted. All the institutional barriers that black and brown people face in this country, and DeWine - a supposedly “reasonable” Republican because he subscribes to some common sense beliefs like masks help prevent the spread of disease and Biden won the election - sees fit to deprive hundreds of thousands of black voters of congressional representation as part of a cynical partisan game. This party is truly beyond repair and anyone who continues to support it should feel ashamed.

Total agreement here. I dunno what more to add.

That each state handles special elections for federal office differently isn't good either. Congress should pass a law requirung special elections within 60 or 90 days after a vacancy occurs, for both senate and the House. I know that election law is state law, but since this is federal office, I tend to believe congress may actually have the jurisdiction to rule on said matter.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #199 on: March 19, 2021, 11:49:57 AM »

It's a branch of the AFL-CIO and as noted reps 150,000 people. I know that you brazenly advertise that you have opinions about things you don't know or understand (e.g. socialism), but you could easily have Wikipedia'd this before you posted lol
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 112  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies