Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:49:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 112
Author Topic: Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)  (Read 133648 times)
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2020, 07:41:51 PM »

Not a surprise by any means, but Bernie endorses Turner

Would a Bernie endorsement be enough to put her over the top?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2020, 09:09:00 PM »

https://www.cleveland.com/open/2020/12/nina-turner-announces-bid-to-succeed-marcia-fudge-in-congress.html

Turner announced. Looks like she's picked up endorsements from the typical progressive groups as well as Ro Khanna, Cori Bush, and Keith Ellison. Based on comments from yesterday Bernie will also likely endorse soon. Progressives seem to be lining up thus far, let's see if it holds up or can get Turner over the finish line.

Also endorsed by Killer Mike, Danny Glover, and Charlamagne tha God lol
Also endorsing her today: Akron Councilwoman Tara Samples (who ran for Lt. Gov. in 2018), former State Senate Minority Leader Eric Kearney of Cincinnati, and current State Senate Minority Leader Kenny Yuko. I distinctly remember being told in this thread that establishment figures would rally around whoever has the best shot of beating her?

They will.  So far the only endorsement she's gotten that's worth anything in this district is Kenny Yuko's; that was a very good get.  The rest (including Bernie's) aren't really worth much.  Even so, I stand by what I've said before both about her chances and what the Cuyahoga County Democratic establishment will ultimately do.

For example, Eric Kearney is a washed up has-been from Cincinnati who was last seen getting dropped from frigging Ed FitzGerald's ticket due to a series of tax scandals (you could almost say he was FitzGerald's Eagleton).  He has no pull in Cleveland.  Tara Samples is a City Councilwoman from Akron.  That's like bragging about being endorsed by a Staten Island State Rep when you're running in the Democratic primary for NYC Mayor Tongue

What on earth are you saying? Samples LIVES in OH-11. Nina is the frontrunner here, like it or not. There's already stupid squabbling up in Cuyahoga about whether or not Shontel Brown needs to step down from her role as Cuyahoga County Democratic Chairwoman, Cuyahoga County Councilwoman, or both. The establishment has to avoid this sort of sh**t if they're going to win, and they're not at all on track.

I’m saying Akron isn’t gonna decide this thing, Cuyahoga County will.

20% of primary voters are going to be in Akron and there are already 3 Cuyahoga County candidates in this thing. Summit County will matter, and until a Summit County candidate gets in, Tuner should be considered the frontrunner as the one with statewide name ID and a national fundraising apparatus.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2020, 09:16:19 PM »

https://www.cleveland.com/open/2020/12/nina-turner-announces-bid-to-succeed-marcia-fudge-in-congress.html

Turner announced. Looks like she's picked up endorsements from the typical progressive groups as well as Ro Khanna, Cori Bush, and Keith Ellison. Based on comments from yesterday Bernie will also likely endorse soon. Progressives seem to be lining up thus far, let's see if it holds up or can get Turner over the finish line.

Also endorsing her today: Akron Councilwoman Tara Samples (who ran for Lt. Gov. in 2018), former State Senate Minority Leader Eric Kearney of Cincinnati, and current State Senate Minority Leader Kenny Yuko. I distinctly remember being told in this thread that establishment figures would rally around whoever has the best shot of beating her?

They will.  So far the only endorsement she's gotten that's worth anything in this district is Kenny Yuko's; that was a very good get.  The rest (including Bernie's) aren't really worth much.  Even so, I stand by what I've said before both about her chances and what the Cuyahoga County Democratic establishment will ultimately do.

For example, Eric Kearney is a washed up has-been from Cincinnati who was last seen getting dropped from frigging Ed FitzGerald's ticket due to a series of tax scandals (you could almost say he was FitzGerald's Eagleton).  He has no pull in Cleveland.  Tara Samples is a City Councilwoman from Akron.  That's like bragging about being endorsed by a Staten Island State Rep when you're running in the Democratic primary for NYC Mayor Tongue

What on earth are you saying? Samples LIVES in OH-11. Nina is the frontrunner here, like it or not. There's already stupid squabbling up in Cuyahoga about whether or not Shontel Brown needs to step down from her role as Cuyahoga County Democratic Chairwoman, Cuyahoga County Councilwoman, or both. The establishment has to avoid this sort of sh**t if they're going to win, and they're not at all on track.

20% of primary voters are going to be in Akron and there are already 3 Cuyahoga County candidates in this thing. Summit County will matter, and until a Summit County candidate gets in, Tuner should be considered the frontrunner as the one with statewide name ID and a national fundraising apparatus.

1) Jeff Johnson is a joke

2) Bold of you to assume Samples speaks for the Summit County Democratic machine.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2020, 09:18:24 PM »

Not a surprise by any means, but Bernie endorses Turner

Would a Bernie endorsement be enough to put her over the top?

Not necessarily, no, though it's probably useful in getting Turner to consolidate leftist support.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2020, 12:05:16 AM »

2) Bold of you to assume Samples speaks for the Summit County Democratic machine.

1) Jeff Johnson is pretty close to Marcia Fudge. She recruited him to run against Sandra Willians in the 2018 state senate primary. He lost, but Johnson has a base, which will be a super low turnout affair. Every vote matters in this election, and the establishment can't afford a "joke" stealing jokes from Shontel Brown.

2) Samples is pretty popular in Akron! Even if she doesn't speak for the Summit County machine, they're only liable to get seriously invested if a Summit County candidate runs. In their absence, Samples is a strong surrogate to have for a portion of the district that none of the candidates can afford to ignore.

Like her or no, it's delusional to deny that Nina Turner is the front runner at this point.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2020, 12:18:31 AM »

1) Jeff Johnson is pretty close to Marcia Fudge. She recruited him to run against Sandra Willians in the 2018 state senate primary. He lost, but Johnson has a base, which will be a super low turnout affair. Every vote matters in this election, and the establishment can't afford a "joke" stealing jokes from Shontel Brown.

2) Samples is pretty popular in Akron! Even if she doesn't speak for the Summit County machine, they're only liable to get seriously invested if a Summit County candidate runs. In their absence, Samples is a strong surrogate to have for a portion of the district that none of the candidates can afford to ignore.

Like her or no, it's delusional to deny that Nina Turner is the front runner at this point.

I'll grant you 2), but I disagree re: Johnson.  The man is a walking dumpster fire.  Time will tell, I suppose.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2020, 02:49:15 PM »

Turner has raised $270k in the first 24 hours since announcing her campaign. This breaks the previous fundraising record for any Congressional race (previous holder was Wendy Davis).
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2020, 03:28:31 PM »

Turner has raised $270k in the first 24 hours since announcing her campaign. This breaks the previous fundraising record for any Congressional race (previous holder was Wendy Davis).

Nut. This is particularly good because advertising dollars might actually influence the votes of low information primary voters, whereas I suspect that ads have almost no influence on the general elections at this point.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2020, 04:54:49 PM »

Turner endorsed by a transphobe:

Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2020, 05:23:36 PM »

How do we Fudge is getting confirmed for sure, shouldnt we wait until the hearings and the confirmation vote?
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2020, 05:48:06 PM »

She also endorsed Joe Biden back in March. Didn't see any concern trolling then.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2020, 11:04:02 AM »

DNS registrations indicating former State Representative John Barnes plans to enter the race for OH-11 have popped up. Barnes was a DINO in the legislature, never formally caucusing with the Republicans, but he might as well have. Barnes is essentially Cleveland's Ruben Diaz Sr. and won't win over any establishment support in the primary. Still, he has a loyal following that never bucked him despite multiple attempts to have him primaried by more liberal, mainstream Democrats.

She also endorsed Joe Biden back in March. Didn't see any concern trolling then.

Tulsi hadn't outed herself as a pro-life TERF in March.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2020, 07:42:17 PM »
« Edited: December 17, 2020, 07:46:44 PM by Chief Keef for Chicago Mayor »

DNS registrations indicating former State Representative John Barnes plans to enter the race for OH-11 have popped up. Barnes was a DINO in the legislature, never formally caucusing with the Republicans, but he might as well have. Barnes is essentially Cleveland's Ruben Diaz Sr. and won't win over any establishment support in the primary. Still, he has a loyal following that never bucked him despite multiple attempts to have him primaried by more liberal, mainstream Democrats.

She's neither, as far as I can tell.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2020, 08:29:06 PM »

I don’t see how an endorsement that a person didn’t ask for  matter at all.  Sanders got endorsed by Evo Morales and Biden got endorsed by Vincente Fox. If you look you can find bad apples in everyone’s endorsement list
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2020, 11:10:19 PM »

I don’t see how an endorsement that a person didn’t ask for  matter at all.  Sanders got endorsed by Evo Morales and Biden got endorsed by Vincente Fox. If you look you can find bad apples in everyone’s endorsement list

Evo Morales is popular among some segments of Bernie's base.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2020, 01:11:38 AM »

🙋
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2020, 01:13:26 AM »

She's pro life but the terf label is not fair.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2020, 01:15:27 AM »

I believe she has always been in favor of abortion being legal (i.e. pro-choice).
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2020, 01:15:41 AM »

🙋

x2. His endorsement is finking awesome.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2020, 10:48:51 AM »
« Edited: December 20, 2020, 10:53:24 AM by THE BuckeyeNut »

I believe she has always been in favor of abortion being legal (i.e. pro-choice).

It's getting off-topic, but Tusli Gabbard is transphobic (TERF does mean a bit more than that, so perhaps not the right word) and is pro-life. Of course, her endorsement doesn't matter. Nor does Marianne Williamson's. Neither is popular in Northeast Ohio, and neither is in a position to leverage any resources for Tuner's aid. Bernie Sanders isn't particularly popular in this district either, but his support has already been a boon to Tuner's fundraising.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2020, 03:23:50 PM »

It's getting off-topic, but Tusli Gabbard is transphobic (TERF does mean a bit more than that, so perhaps not the right word) and is pro-life. Of course, her endorsement doesn't matter. Nor does Marianne Williamson's. Neither is popular in Northeast Ohio, and neither is in a position to leverage any resources for Tuner's aid. Bernie Sanders isn't particularly popular in this district either, but his support has already been a boon to Tuner's fundraising.

A 20 week abortion ban is as pro-life as ObamaCare is socialist. Tulsi can't be a TERF because she isn't a radical feminist as far as I can tell.

🙋

x2. His endorsement is finking awesome.

I don't know much about Evo Morales, but he seems to be an FF.
Dipper Josh

« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2020, 07:04:20 PM »

This is already becoming one of my favourite threads on Atlas.

A bunch of people acting like they're experts in the OH-11 district saying she wont be competitive in the first couple pages, then she breaks a fundraising record and pulls in a slew of endorsements almost instantly.

chef's kiss.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2020, 07:05:25 PM »

A bunch of people acting like they're experts in the OH-11 district saying she wont be competitive in the first couple pages, then she breaks a fundraising record and pulls in a slew of endorsements almost instantly.

chef's kiss.

She’s gonna lose, but whatever helps you sleep at night Smiley
Dipper Josh

« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2020, 07:23:10 PM »

chef's kiss.

Big "Anybody who thinks Nina Turner would win this doesnt understand Ohio politics" energy
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2020, 07:31:52 PM »

chef's kiss.

Big "Anybody who thinks Nina Turner would win this doesnt understand Ohio politics" energy

I wouldn’t go that far, but she’s certainly got her work cut out for her, that’s for sure.  

On a different note, apparently Emilia Sykes is taking a pretty hard look at running here.  If she does, then the Akron Democratic machine will go all-in for her and she’s probably got the Akron portion of the district locked down.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 112  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies