Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:13:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 112
Author Topic: Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)  (Read 136547 times)
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: March 31, 2021, 07:10:29 PM »

I've said it before, but the Cuyahoga Democrats really blew it on this one. This was definitely a winnable race, if they'd focused on some of Turner's edgier comments on the Democratic establishment, and now it's way too late to turn it around in my estimation.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #251 on: March 31, 2021, 09:01:13 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2021, 09:07:12 PM by Donerail »

A lot of her talk is merely that. I fully expect her to be an indistinguishable progressive in office aside from a few odd comments said here and there for her ventures in wider politics.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnd I’m right

What exactly do you think this shows? Those people are clearly not "DNC operatives" (lmao), they're just career campaign staffers who will be writing press releases and knocking on doors (or whatever a ROD does during a pandemic). You hire people 1. with relevant experience 2. who know the district, and it seems like they both check those boxes.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #252 on: March 31, 2021, 09:09:45 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2021, 09:17:24 PM by brucejoel99 »

A lot of her talk is merely that. I fully expect her to be an indistinguishable progressive in office aside from a few odd comments said here and there for her ventures in wider politics.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnd I’m right

https://mobile.twitter.com/unapologeticYT/status/1376723147500744705

Let me check my surprise meter... nope, still nothing.

Nina Turner will be the 3rd Congressperson endorsed by the DSA, correct?

5th, I believe: AOC and Tlaib (2018), Bowman and Bush (2020).

6th, actually: Bernie (in both his House & Senate campaigns).
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #253 on: April 01, 2021, 01:41:12 AM »

This is already becoming one of my favourite threads on Atlas.

A bunch of people acting like they're experts in the OH-11 district saying she wont be competitive in the first couple pages, then she breaks a fundraising record and pulls in a slew of endorsements almost instantly.

chef's kiss.

She’s gonna lose, but whatever helps you sleep at night Smiley

4 months later and this thread somehow got even more incredible.

I don't have a say on this race nor do I care, but cry me a river. She's running a great campaign that has everyone from the DSA to national unions to local legislators to the Mayor of Cleveland backing her. The next 4 years of Turner-induced intraparty loathing will be as amusing to watch as the last 4 years of pearlclutching. And I can't wait.

"Dread it, run from it, Rep. Turner arrives all the same."
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #254 on: April 01, 2021, 02:25:04 AM »

So when do the executions at FirstEnergy Stadium start?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #255 on: April 01, 2021, 09:11:29 AM »

This is already becoming one of my favourite threads on Atlas.

A bunch of people acting like they're experts in the OH-11 district saying she wont be competitive in the first couple pages, then she breaks a fundraising record and pulls in a slew of endorsements almost instantly.

chef's kiss.

She’s gonna lose, but whatever helps you sleep at night Smiley

4 months later and this thread somehow got even more incredible.

I don't have a say on this race nor do I care, but cry me a river. She's running a great campaign that has everyone from the DSA to national unions to local legislators to the Mayor of Cleveland backing her. The next 4 years of Turner-induced intraparty loathing will be as amusing to watch as the last 4 years of pearlclutching. And I can't wait.

"Dread it, run from it, Rep. Turner arrives all the same."

No one is getting bent out of shape about Turner winning (also, you're late to the party; I already posted my prediction that Turner would lose in that thread for predictions that haven't aged well at least a week ago), so you'll have to get your schadenfreude fix elsewhere.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #256 on: April 01, 2021, 10:47:45 AM »

Nina Turner endorsed by CPC. Not particularly surprising, I guess, but it is notable that Turner seems to be getting support even from mainstream progressives.
That's because the left wing version of the tea party has taken over the Democratic Party.

It has not. It's less than 10% of the Dem caucus.

It has, however, essentially blunted the rise of Warren/Porter like progressives in favor of the Sanders/Corbyn wing.

You have an unhealthy and sightly bizarre obsession with Jeremy Corbyn.

Understatement of the century right here.

But I guess it's natural some people with lower thresholds of rationing capacity would be just as hysterical as the prevailing media narrative was at the time.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #257 on: April 04, 2021, 12:30:23 AM »

Indicate a Nov. 2 special election date in the thread title.

Otherwise, nobody knows when these elections are taking place ...
Lognog
United States

« Reply #258 on: April 04, 2021, 01:44:59 PM »

Literally why do people here hate Turner.

She's a pretty good fit for the district imo
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #259 on: April 04, 2021, 01:49:55 PM »

They hate to see a girlboss winning
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #260 on: April 04, 2021, 03:34:23 PM »

For a bit of a rundown, see:

ugh, can OH-11 Dems not get anyone better than Nina Turner?

What's wrong with Nina Turner? She's awesome.

I mean, she compared voting for Biden to literally "eating a bowl of sh*t," not-so-subtly encouraged people to vote for Jill Stein in 2016, & never even won a contested election (before this primary, that is). Even if one tends to agree with her more often than not on matters of policy, it can't be denied that she can quite literally put a bad taste in people's mouths.

To be fair, I think she said that voting for Biden was life eating half the bowl instead of the whole thing.

In no way does that somehow put the statement in a better light.

There's nothing wrong with it. There are/were many legitimate criticisms of Biden from the left. I say this as someone whose expectations Biden has surpassed, but I really dislike the sentiment from some people that Biden is immune from criticism. He is not the messiah and progressives are allowed to call him out.

Nowhere do I believe that I expressed any sentiments to the effect of implying or even outright stating that I believe that he's immune from criticism, that he's the messiah, &/or that progressives aren't allowed to call him out (though I'll fully admit to expressing my own personal opinion as somebody who disagreed with her "bowl of sh*t" statement that a technicality thereof didn't exactly make it look better from the perspective of somebody who already disagrees with it to begin with). But when SnowLabrador asked, "What's wrong with Nina Turner?," I offered in response a variety of valid reasons that many Democrats can have for not supporting her, just as there can be a variety of valid reasons - including that which both you & Calthrina950 pointed to - that many Democrats can have for supporting her. It's not like this is exactly a situation of mutual exclusivities here.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #261 on: April 05, 2021, 01:22:11 AM »

I mean, she compared voting for Biden to literally "eating a bowl of sh*t," not-so-subtly encouraged people to vote for Jill Stein in 2016, & never even won a contested election (before this primary, that is). Even if one tends to agree with her more often than not on matters of policy, it can't be denied that she can quite literally put a bad taste in people's mouths.

To be fair, I think she said that voting for Biden was life eating half the bowl instead of the whole thing.

There's nothing wrong with it. There are/were many legitimate criticisms of Biden from the left. I say this as someone whose expectations Biden has surpassed, but I really dislike the sentiment from some people that Biden is immune from criticism. He is not the messiah and progressives are allowed to call him out.

Nowhere do I believe that I expressed any sentiments to the effect of implying or even outright stating that I believe that he's immune from criticism, that he's the messiah, &/or that progressives aren't allowed to call him out (though I'll fully admit to expressing my own personal opinion as somebody who disagreed with her "bowl of sh*t" statement that a technicality thereof didn't exactly make it look better from the perspective of somebody who already disagrees with it to begin with). But when SnowLabrador asked, "What's wrong with Nina Turner?," I offered in response a variety of valid reasons that many Democrats can have for not supporting her, just as there can be a variety of valid reasons - including that which both you & Calthrina950 pointed to - that many Democrats can have for supporting her. It's not like this is exactly a situation of mutual exclusivities here.

If that’s it, then the hate is way over blown and incredibly stupid
Lognog
United States

« Reply #262 on: April 05, 2021, 09:03:07 AM »

They hate to see a girlboss winning

This seems true
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #263 on: April 05, 2021, 02:12:12 PM »

All else aside, it still seems a bit unfair to refer to some people's not exactly being thrilled about somebody who wasn't not okay with people voting for Jill Stein & thus indirectly helped to give Trump the White House in 2016 as "incredibly stupid," but sure, whatever floats your boat, I guess.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #264 on: April 05, 2021, 08:19:52 PM »

All else aside, it still seems a bit unfair to refer to some people's not exactly being thrilled about somebody who wasn't not okay with people voting for Jill Stein & thus indirectly helped to give Trump the White House in 2016 as "incredibly stupid," but sure, whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Broke: rehashing 2020

Woke: rehashing 2016

In all seriousness, she'll vote with the dems when she needs to. What she said is stupid, but that's one thing and considering atlas is losing their minds over her, its certainly an overreaction
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #265 on: April 06, 2021, 02:17:07 AM »

In all seriousness, she'll vote with the dems when she needs to. What she said is stupid, but that's one thing and considering atlas is losing their minds over her, its certainly an overreaction

This is quite the overstatement.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #266 on: April 06, 2021, 06:14:29 AM »

Nina Turner is going to be a congresswoman. Oof.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #267 on: April 06, 2021, 10:15:36 AM »

I've read this thread, people are
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #268 on: April 06, 2021, 10:18:58 AM »

I've read this thread, people are

Then you've read a different thread than the rest of us, because in no universe does some people expressing mild-to-moderate displeasure with the Turner candidacy equate to all of Atlas losing their minds.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #269 on: April 06, 2021, 01:16:48 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2021, 01:23:52 PM by GeneralMacArthur »

Why do some people dislike Turner?  It's because of who she actually was from 2015 up through about six weeks ago when she needed to clean up her image to get elected to Congress.

In 2016 she and Tulsi Gabbard were Bernie's two henchwomen who relentlessly promoted conspiracy theories, especially about the DNC.  They would go say all these crazy things while Bernie kept his hands clean and pretended not to know what they were saying.  She was openly encouraging all the crazy s--t at the DNC convention when people were protesting about the rigged election and spreading all sorts of wild conspiracy theories.  She refused to endorse Clinton and kept promoting the Green Party, to the point where she was even offered the Green Party VP nomination which she teased for a while but eventually turned down.

She cleaned up her act a little between 2016 and 2020 because she was trying to become a more mainstream figure, appearing on CNN and such.  But she was still doing a lot of the conspiracy-mongering.  Like when she led that march to the DNC HQ.  Like it's so embarrassing.  Also she's been involved in fringe-y third party movements like the People's Party.  (contrast with Tulsi who ran on an anti-DNC conspiracy theory platform in 2020 like it was still 2016).

During the 2020 election she again functioned as Bernie's attack dog and would go on TV to promote all the smears against Biden, once again including the smears that Bernie didn't want to use himself.  And then after it was all over and Biden won, she famously said that voting for Biden was "like eating a bowl of s--t", once again using her platform to undermine the Democratic nominee just like in 2016.

So that's a pretty quick summary of why people don't like her.  I'm not sure what her actual redeeming qualities are.  In my eyes she's always just been cringey, over-the-top, and hyperaggressive in her demeanor, but I guess some people see that as "passionate" and "energizing."  Even if that were true though, she's spent the last 5 years using that passion/energy for one primary purpose, that purpose being to attack the DNC, Democratic candidates and the Democratic Party.

I'm sure someone will roll in here with a clip of where she used her passion/energy to promote M4A or some other part of the Bernie platform, yes she does also do some things besides attack Democrats but it's mostly just attacking Democrats.  Even 2017-2019 when there was no Bernie to promote, she was on CNN just tearing down Democrats all the time and getting into shouting matches with other pundits.

If she wanted to run on her record and her actual personality, and she won an election anyway, then I would be pretty surprised but hey good for the Bernie win that the voters bought their conspiracy-theory anti-DNC BS.  But that's not what she's doing -- instead she's lying to everyone and pretending she's a good, loyal Democrat.  And spending an enormous amount of money, raised through the Sanders network (not from Cleveland), to hammer home that lie.  So it's doubly insulting because first of all we're getting this lunatic in Congress and second of all she's basically tricking the voters into electing her.

To the Nina fans on here... aren't you embarrassed that she's running by pretending to be someone she's not?  What does it say about her that she basically has to disown everything she's done for the last 5 years, the stuff you loved her for?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #270 on: April 06, 2021, 01:27:13 PM »

Turner (whom I dislike) will be a loyal footsoldier in the ways that matter to Pelosi, just like the rest of the DSA/Justice Dems congresscritters.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #271 on: April 06, 2021, 01:52:30 PM »

Why do some people dislike Turner?  It's because of who she actually was from 2015 up through about six weeks ago when she needed to clean up her image to get elected to Congress.

In 2016 she and Tulsi Gabbard were Bernie's two henchwomen who relentlessly promoted conspiracy theories, especially about the DNC.  They would go say all these crazy things while Bernie kept his hands clean and pretended not to know what they were saying.  She was openly encouraging all the crazy s--t at the DNC convention when people were protesting about the rigged election and spreading all sorts of wild conspiracy theories.  She refused to endorse Clinton and kept promoting the Green Party, to the point where she was even offered the Green Party VP nomination which she teased for a while but eventually turned down.

She cleaned up her act a little between 2016 and 2020 because she was trying to become a more mainstream figure, appearing on CNN and such.  But she was still doing a lot of the conspiracy-mongering.  Like when she led that march to the DNC HQ.  Like it's so embarrassing.  Also she's been involved in fringe-y third party movements like the People's Party.  (contrast with Tulsi who ran on an anti-DNC conspiracy theory platform in 2020 like it was still 2016).

During the 2020 election she again functioned as Bernie's attack dog and would go on TV to promote all the smears against Biden, once again including the smears that Bernie didn't want to use himself.  And then after it was all over and Biden won, she famously said that voting for Biden was "like eating a bowl of s--t", once again using her platform to undermine the Democratic nominee just like in 2016.

So that's a pretty quick summary of why people don't like her.  I'm not sure what her actual redeeming qualities are.  In my eyes she's always just been cringey, over-the-top, and hyperaggressive in her demeanor, but I guess some people see that as "passionate" and "energizing."  Even if that were true though, she's spent the last 5 years using that passion/energy for one primary purpose, that purpose being to attack the DNC, Democratic candidates and the Democratic Party.

I'm sure someone will roll in here with a clip of where she used her passion/energy to promote M4A or some other part of the Bernie platform, yes she does also do some things besides attack Democrats but it's mostly just attacking Democrats.  Even 2017-2019 when there was no Bernie to promote, she was on CNN just tearing down Democrats all the time and getting into shouting matches with other pundits.

If she wanted to run on her record and her actual personality, and she won an election anyway, then I would be pretty surprised but hey good for the Bernie win that the voters bought their conspiracy-theory anti-DNC BS.  But that's not what she's doing -- instead she's lying to everyone and pretending she's a good, loyal Democrat.  And spending an enormous amount of money, raised through the Sanders network (not from Cleveland), to hammer home that lie.  So it's doubly insulting because first of all we're getting this lunatic in Congress and second of all she's basically tricking the voters into electing her.

To the Nina fans on here... aren't you embarrassed that she's running by pretending to be someone she's not?  What does it say about her that she basically has to disown everything she's done for the last 5 years, the stuff you loved her for?

What a bunch of nonsense.

Turner's always been much friendlier with the Democratic establishment here in Ohio than the national party. Very little has changed. (She performed terribly in the election for Secretary of State in 2014, but of the five statewide candidates, she was the base's choice, bar none.) Also, the plurality of Turner's fundraising came from in-state. Not what you've seen from Justice Democrats elsewhere.

I guess what I'm saying here is: stay mad. You don't get the dynamic at play in this election.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #272 on: April 06, 2021, 02:19:17 PM »

I'm not from Ohio so I can't speak to Nina's reputation in Ohio.  Has she even been to Ohio or done anything in the last five years?

She was a part of team Clinton originally in 2015, so based on that she was probably pretty normal, it seems getting into Bernie world and going national made her go off the deep end.

However this is 2021 and 2021 Nina Turner is not 2014 Nina Turner.  She's changed a lot in the last five years, just like Tulsi who was originally a generic D and vice-chair of the DNC.  If she's having to run on her pre-2015 local reputation then that's again trying to erase everything she's done over the last five years which is nothing to be proud of, especially if you're a fan of her because of her recent shenanigans.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #273 on: April 06, 2021, 09:21:15 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2021, 09:26:02 PM by RecoveringDem »

(She performed terribly in the election for Secretary of State in 2014, but of the five statewide candidates, she was the base's choice, bar none.)

What does that even mean lol - she got the lowest vote share of any Dem running statewide in Ohio in 2014. Are you arguing that among the people who did vote straight ticket Dem, they were most excited about Nina? That feels pretty hard to prove.

Edit: sorry, she slightly outperformed scandal-plagued FitzGerald but underperformed the rest. Think my point / question stands.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #274 on: April 13, 2021, 01:51:27 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 112  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies