Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:37:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 112
Author Topic: Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)  (Read 136486 times)
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: March 23, 2021, 03:36:05 PM »

ugh, can OH-11 Dems not get anyone better than Nina Turner?

What's wrong with Nina Turner? She's awesome.

I mean, she compared voting for Biden to literally "eating a bowl of sh*t," not-so-subtly encouraged people to vote for Jill Stein in 2016, & never even won a contested election (before this primary, that is). Even if one tends to agree with her more often than not on matters of policy, it can't be denied that she can quite literally put a bad taste in people's mouths.

To be fair, I think she said that voting for Biden was life eating half the bowl instead of the whole thing.

In no way does that somehow put the statement in a better light.

There's nothing wrong with it. There are/were many legitimate criticisms of Biden from the left. I say this as someone whose expectations Biden has surpassed, but I really dislike the sentiment from some people that Biden is immune from criticism. He is not the messiah and progressives are allowed to call him out.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #226 on: March 23, 2021, 04:22:46 PM »

I mean, she compared voting for Biden to literally "eating a bowl of sh*t," not-so-subtly encouraged people to vote for Jill Stein in 2016, & never even won a contested election (before this primary, that is). Even if one tends to agree with her more often than not on matters of policy, it can't be denied that she can quite literally put a bad taste in people's mouths.

To be fair, I think she said that voting for Biden was life eating half the bowl instead of the whole thing.

There's nothing wrong with it. There are/were many legitimate criticisms of Biden from the left. I say this as someone whose expectations Biden has surpassed, but I really dislike the sentiment from some people that Biden is immune from criticism. He is not the messiah and progressives are allowed to call him out.

I fully agree with this. Biden has done things which I disagree with (such as his selection of Kamala Harris to be his running mate), and he should be criticized for those things. I also think that this will distinguish Democrats greatly from Republicans, who were largely unwilling to criticize Trump (outside of the isolated few like Sasse and Kinzinger) and who tended to kiss his feet.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #227 on: March 23, 2021, 04:42:34 PM »

A lot of her talk is merely that. I fully expect her to be an indistinguishable progressive in office aside from a few odd comments said here and there for her ventures in wider politics.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #228 on: March 23, 2021, 05:04:46 PM »

Nowhere do I believe that I expressed any sentiments to the effect of implying or even outright stating that I believe that he's immune from criticism, that he's the messiah, &/or that progressives aren't allowed to call him out (though I'll fully admit to expressing my own personal opinion as somebody who disagreed with her "bowl of sh*t" statement that a technicality thereof didn't exactly make it look better from the perspective of somebody who already disagrees with it to begin with). But when SnowLabrador asked, "What's wrong with Nina Turner?," I offered in response a variety of valid reasons that many Democrats can have for not supporting her, just as there can be a variety of valid reasons - including that which both you & Calthrina950 pointed to - that many Democrats can have for supporting her. It's not like this is exactly a situation of mutual exclusivities here.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #229 on: March 24, 2021, 10:54:55 AM »

Nina Turner endorsed by CPC. Not particularly surprising, I guess, but it is notable that Turner seems to be getting support even from mainstream progressives.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #230 on: March 24, 2021, 10:59:08 AM »

Nina Turner endorsed by CPC. Not particularly surprising, I guess, but it is notable that Turner seems to be getting support even from mainstream progressives.
That's because the left wing version of the tea party has taken over the Democratic Party.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #231 on: March 24, 2021, 11:39:29 AM »

That's because the left wing version of the tea party has taken over the Democratic Party.

It has not. It's less than 10% of the Dem caucus.

It has, however, essentially blunted the rise of Warren/Porter like progressives in favor of the Sanders/Corbyn wing.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #232 on: March 24, 2021, 01:05:22 PM »

I remember when she was one of Hillary’s top AA surrogates and one of the most aggressively pro-Hillary politicians in Ohio.  I also remember when she was a DLC-curious third-way type who Republicans were hoping would get this seat instead of Fudge so they could get a ConservaDem in a safe D seat.  Funny how shameless opportunism can change a person’s political views Roll Eyes
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #233 on: March 24, 2021, 02:45:01 PM »

Nina Turner’s ideological shifts and antics reminds me a lot of Eugene Debs, considering he was anti-strike before leaving office. Whatever the root cause, I think it is safe to say that such climbers only stand to leave a beneficial byproduct in their political activity for the working people of this country.

lol @ Ray’s comments. That is sadly untrue
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #234 on: March 25, 2021, 09:16:18 AM »

It has, however, essentially blunted the rise of Warren/Porter like progressives in favor of the Sanders/Corbyn wing.
1. Corbyn is not an American politician so this statement is inherently absurd
2. Sanders is not comparable, especially on Anti Semitism for reasons that should be obvious
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #235 on: March 25, 2021, 09:28:46 AM »

You have an unhealthy and sightly bizarre obsession with Jeremy Corbyn.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #236 on: March 25, 2021, 10:01:25 AM »

2. Sanders is not comparable, especially on Anti Semitism for reasons that should be obvious

*Chris Matthews has entered the chat.*
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #237 on: March 25, 2021, 05:07:58 PM »

*Chris Matthews has entered the chat.*

"SaNDerS wiNnINg NeVaDA iS LiKE tHe NAzIs INvaDinG fRanCe!!!!!"
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #238 on: March 30, 2021, 01:30:49 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #239 on: March 30, 2021, 08:43:04 PM »

Ngl, this is actually a pretty surprising endorsement, as Griffin is very much a member of the establishment wing: he was literally just a Biden delegate last year. He should've been one of the surest gets for Brown, who's obviously much more connected to the Cuyahoga County Dems. Maybe Griffin just sees the writing on the wall & wants to curry favor with his constituents' next member of Congress so he can more easily be able to work with her in the future?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #240 on: March 31, 2021, 08:53:47 AM »

This one sounds like a pretty big deal
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #241 on: March 31, 2021, 11:21:42 AM »

Ngl, this is actually a pretty surprising endorsement, as Griffin is very much a member of the establishment wing: he was literally just a Biden delegate last year. He should've been one of the surest gets for Brown, who's obviously much more connected to the Cuyahoga County Dems. Maybe Griffin just sees the writing on the wall & wants to curry favor with his constituents' next member of Congress so he can more easily be able to work with her in the future?

Yeah, I'm convinced of the bolded now, given the mayor's endorsement.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #242 on: March 31, 2021, 11:58:25 AM »

This one sounds like a pretty big deal

It's over.  Game, set, and match.
Biden 2024
wolfentoad66
Norfolk Island

« Reply #243 on: March 31, 2021, 01:51:07 PM »

Turner has run close to a perfect campaign and I’d be surprised if she doesn’t win by double digits at this point. Can’t wait to see her in Congress.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #244 on: March 31, 2021, 03:31:24 PM »

A lot of her talk is merely that. I fully expect her to be an indistinguishable progressive in office aside from a few odd comments said here and there for her ventures in wider politics.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnd I’m right

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #245 on: March 31, 2021, 03:35:30 PM »

Yeah I was really wrong about this race.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #246 on: March 31, 2021, 03:51:53 PM »

Representative Turner.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #247 on: March 31, 2021, 05:33:00 PM »

Yeah, I'm convinced of the bolded now, given the mayor's endorsement.

The Mayor is probably trying to save his own ass, TBH. He's not exactly popular, and some of his allies recently teased that the Mayor plans to run for an unprecedented 5th term.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #248 on: March 31, 2021, 05:57:48 PM »

Nina Turner will be the 3rd Congressperson endorsed by the DSA, correct?
Biden 2024
wolfentoad66
Norfolk Island

« Reply #249 on: March 31, 2021, 06:20:29 PM »

Nina Turner will be the 3rd Congressperson endorsed by the DSA, correct?

5th, I believe: AOC and Tlaib (2018), Bowman and Bush (2020).
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 112  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies