Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:20:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 112
Author Topic: Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)  (Read 136551 times)
butWhyNot?
Rookie
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: March 19, 2021, 05:12:09 PM »

She should run for Ohio Secretary of State in 2022. I would love to see her get blown out again.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #201 on: March 19, 2021, 08:13:10 PM »

Now that Fudge has resigned, has the election been scheduled yet?

Primary scheduled for August 3, General for November 2: www.wkyc.com/amp/article/news/politics/elections/election-ohio-11th-congressional-district-november-2-2021/95-1d0a664f-2a11-41a9-8e7e-e16c8497b41b

What on earth? Keeping a seat open for nearly a year - depriving residents of both representation and key constituent services - presumably just to keep the Dems' majority one seat narrower? Is there any other reasonable explanation here? This is something I'd expect from a DeSantis or a Noem, but not DeWine. There should really be some laws in place here about how soon a special election has to be scheduled following a vacancy.

Sadly, the only law in Ohio is that a special has to be held eventually. We're lucky he didn't elect to leave the seat empty until Late 2022 like Rick Snyder did with the Conyers seat in the 115th Congress.

Wow - I’m disgusted. All the institutional barriers that black and brown people face in this country, and DeWine - a supposedly “reasonable” Republican because he subscribes to some common sense beliefs like masks help prevent the spread of disease and Biden won the election - sees fit to deprive hundreds of thousands of black voters of congressional representation as part of a cynical partisan game. This party is truly beyond repair and anyone who continues to support it should feel ashamed.

It seems that in Ohio, specials can only be held in May, August, or November, and May 4th is too early for the primary.

(D) "Special election" means any election other than those elections defined in other divisions of this section. A special election may be held only on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in May, August, or November, or on the day authorized by a particular municipal or county charter for the holding of a primary election, except that in any year in which a presidential primary election is held, no special election shall be held in May, except as authorized by a municipal or county charter, but may be held on the third Tuesday after the first Monday in March.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3501
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #202 on: March 19, 2021, 08:20:47 PM »

New Mexico does it right in terms of timing. And for a special, I think it's ok to have the parties pick the nominees.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #203 on: March 19, 2021, 10:19:14 PM »

She should run for Ohio Secretary of State in 2022. I would love to see her get blown out again.

I didn't know until today that Turner had run for Ohio Secretary of State in 2014 and lost badly. Jon Husted defeated her by 24 points, and she won only two counties that year-Cuyahoga and Athens, the two most Democratic counties in the state. 2014 in general was a horrific year for Ohio Democrats, as all of their statewide candidates lost by double digits, with Kasich's opponent, FitzGerald, losing by 30 points and dragging the rest of the ticket down.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #204 on: March 20, 2021, 09:53:48 AM »

Hopes this propels Amy Acton into Sen and get a good D nominee for Gov, DeWine only won by 3 and Sherrod Brown won in 2018 in a Midterm
butWhyNot?
Rookie
United States
« Reply #205 on: March 20, 2021, 09:56:28 AM »

Nina Turner guaranteed to win with Key Endorsement.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #206 on: March 20, 2021, 07:42:11 PM »

Please stay on-topic for OH-11. Israel/Palestine discussion can take place at International General Discussions.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #207 on: March 20, 2021, 10:28:00 PM »

Hopes this propels Amy Acton into Sen and get a good D nominee for Gov, DeWine only won by 3 and Sherrod Brown won in 2018 in a Midterm

Don’t see how this would affect those races. Also DeWine has showed himself to be quite moderate and an effective leader whose not as overtly partisan as other republicans so it’s almost guaranteed to be out of our reach
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #208 on: March 21, 2021, 01:02:59 AM »

Please stay on-topic for OH-11. Israel/Palestine discussion can take place at International General Discussions.

But what had been said was on-topic for OH-11 on-balance? And it wasn't even "Israel/Palestine discussion," it was just pointing out how a criticism which had been lodged in the thread against Ted Deutch's OH-11 endorsement (so, an on-topic matter) served to invoke an anti-Semitic trope, & didn't really delve beyond that discussion as to how that on-topic criticism was potentially anti-Semitic.

Am I missing something here?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #209 on: March 21, 2021, 07:17:17 AM »

But what had been said was on-topic for OH-11 on-balance? And it wasn't even "Israel/Palestine discussion," it was just pointing out how a criticism which had been lodged in the thread against Ted Deutch's OH-11 endorsement (so, an on-topic matter) served to invoke an anti-Semitic trope, & didn't really delve beyond that discussion as to how that on-topic criticism was potentially anti-Semitic.

Am I missing something here?

I agree that Ted Deutch’s endorsement and the reasoning he gave are relevant to OH-11. It’s that my experience over the last 25 years is that discussion of Israel/Palestine and how it plays into U.S. politics and how people talk about dual loyalties is uniquely incendiary and quickly diverges from the race itself even if it started with a specific endorsement. The original post was reported and excising that but leaving the rest of the discussion it started without risking flare ups again was not possible. That’s all.
Ethelberth
Rookie
Suriname

« Reply #210 on: March 21, 2021, 02:41:44 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2021, 03:08:03 PM by Ethelberth »

Why it takes a year to full a vacant seat.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #211 on: March 21, 2021, 06:08:32 PM »

It won't. It will take eight months. As for why? It's Ohio law. As was said above, there are only three valid special election dates in Ohio: the first Monday after the first Tuesday in May, August, and November. It's also Ohio law that the special election can only be scheduled once a seat is vacant. County Boards of Election are mailing overseas ballots for this year's May primary this week, so the seat is being filled as soon as legally possible.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #212 on: March 21, 2021, 07:26:43 PM »

It won't. It will take eight months. As for why? It's Ohio law. As was said above, there are only three valid special election dates in Ohio: the first Monday after the first Tuesday in May, August, and November. It's also Ohio law that the special election can only be scheduled once a seat is vacant. County Boards of Election are mailing overseas ballots for this year's May primary this week, so the seat is being filled as soon as legally possible.

Fudge resigned 11 days ago, though, so were those ballots already being printed & mailed out by Mar. 10th? Because if not, then it seems to me that they could've just stuck to the original May/Aug. timetable without many (if any) headaches.
Ethelberth
Rookie
Suriname

« Reply #213 on: March 22, 2021, 08:05:29 AM »
« Edited: March 22, 2021, 03:13:45 PM by Ethelberth »

So firstly hunting passanger pigeons and buffalos is time consuming business.
Secondly, it not allowed to ride through wilderness while visiting the closest fur trading post (they do want the Brittish cavalry disrupt elections).
Thirdly, it is considered that it is sin, to use telephone or write letters while talking about earthly matters.

So, it takes about a year to full one vacant seat.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #214 on: March 22, 2021, 12:03:23 PM »

I know, shocking endorsement. Who could've seen this one coming?

BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #215 on: March 22, 2021, 02:41:26 PM »

Fudge resigned 11 days ago, though, so were those ballots already being printed & mailed out by Mar. 10th? Because if not, then it seems to me that they could've just stuck to the original May/Aug. timetable without many (if any) headaches.

Again, the election can't be called until there is an actual vacancy. It would be absurd to allow County Boards of Election to print ballots for a hypothetical election for numerous reasons.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #216 on: March 22, 2021, 03:03:04 PM »

Again, the election can't be called until there is an actual vacancy. It would be absurd to allow County Boards of Election to print ballots for a hypothetical election for numerous reasons.

That's not an answer to the question which I asked. What I pointed to was the fact that the vacancy actually occurred 11 (now 12) days ago, & I asked whether ballots were already in the process of being printed at that point in time - 12 days ago now - when the vacancy became official? If so, then the Aug./Nov. timetable is a totally & completely understandable decision (albeit one with negative consequences) taken in comport with the law on this matter. If not, then I see no reason as to why they couldn't have just stuck with a May/Aug. timetable.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #217 on: March 22, 2021, 03:19:25 PM »

That's not an answer to the question which I asked. What I pointed to was the fact that the vacancy actually occurred 11 (now 12) days ago, & I asked whether ballots were already in the process of being printed at that point in time - 12 days ago now - when the vacancy became official? If so, then the Aug./Nov. timetable is a totally & completely understandable decision (albeit one with negative consequences) taken in comport with the law on this matter. If not, then I see no reason as to why they couldn't have just stuck with a May/Aug. timetable.

Well, once you have the seat officially vacant, you need to open filling, have candidates collect signatures and so on. For an election in May, Ohio law says the filling closes 90 days before the election (February 3) and counties have 12 days to review signatures. Also, the SoS need to certify the ballot to be printed 70 days before the election February 23).

The resignation came in way too late for the legal deadlines.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #218 on: March 22, 2021, 10:45:40 PM »

Only from the most famous representative in the country outside of Nancy Pelosi.

Now will it be enough to propel her over the finish line?
Ethelberth
Rookie
Suriname

« Reply #219 on: March 23, 2021, 01:19:28 AM »
« Edited: March 23, 2021, 01:22:30 AM by Ethelberth »

Only from the most famous representative in the country outside of Nancy Pelosi.

Now will it be enough to propel her over the finish line?

Propably these news will arrive state of Ohio late July, if the roads  good enough, and you do need to paddle all the way up. Hopefully the messanger will not be hijacked by Canadian  or Native American guerillas.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #220 on: March 23, 2021, 06:53:51 AM »

ugh, can OH-11 Dems not get anyone better than Nina Turner?
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #221 on: March 23, 2021, 07:09:52 AM »

What's wrong with Nina Turner? She's awesome.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #222 on: March 23, 2021, 09:20:28 AM »

I mean, she compared voting for Biden to literally "eating a bowl of sh*t," not-so-subtly encouraged people to vote for Jill Stein in 2016, & never even won a contested election (before this primary, that is). Even if one tends to agree with her more often than not on matters of policy, it can't be denied that she can quite literally put a bad taste in people's mouths.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #223 on: March 23, 2021, 11:21:49 AM »

I mean, she compared voting for Biden to literally "eating a bowl of sh*t," not-so-subtly encouraged people to vote for Jill Stein in 2016, & never even won a contested election (before this primary, that is). Even if one tends to agree with her more often than not on matters of policy, it can't be denied that she can quite literally put a bad taste in people's mouths.

To be fair, I think she said that voting for Biden was life eating half the bowl instead of the whole thing.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #224 on: March 23, 2021, 01:18:45 PM »

To be fair, I think she said that voting for Biden was life eating half the bowl instead of the whole thing.

In no way does that somehow put the statement in a better light.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 112  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies