Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:40:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 112
Author Topic: Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)  (Read 136266 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2021, 05:07:09 PM »

Nina Turner's son is a police officer, and her husband is a retired police officer.

Will that disqualify her?

She'll be seen as part of the corrupt system. Once you are a part of the "family", you are complicit.

The Democratic Party has a strain of anti-police sentiment baked in with the leftwing movements.

https://www.democracynow.org/2016/7/18/my_heart_aches_sen_nina_turner

bronz, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent statement were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, & may God have mercy on your soul.

It's not dumb what I said, it is the truth. When people find out that she is connected to cops, she could lose her leftwing base.

No, caricaturing the left as a group that will cancel somebody because their relatives are police officers is indeed dumb.

I see it happen all the time, even in New Jersey. A lot of people have been canceled because they are associated to cops, etc.

I had a friend unfriend someone because her daughter is a cop.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2021, 07:49:55 PM »

Nina Turner's son is a police officer, and her husband is a retired police officer.

She'll be seen as part of the corrupt system. Once you are a part of the "family", you are complicit.

The Democratic Party has a strain of anti-police sentiment baked in with the leftwing movements.

bronz, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent statement were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, & may God have mercy on your soul.

It's not dumb what I said, it is the truth. When people find out that she is connected to cops, she could lose her leftwing base.

No, caricaturing the left as a group that will cancel somebody because their relatives are police officers is indeed dumb.

I see it happen all the time, even in New Jersey. A lot of people have been canceled because they are associated to cops, etc.

I don't know how to say this any more politely, but your sense of scale is off.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2021, 12:03:15 PM »

I don't know how to say this any more politely, but your sense of scale is off.

No, my sense of scale is not off.

It's the truth. You have places like small shops that say they won't serve cops, etc.

Then you want to know why the relationship between cops and civilians are so tense.

I like Nina, she needs to win and she needs to be on the Judiciary Comm., she can handle the Jim Jordans of the world who will deny police brutality.

She's more level headed than Cori Bush
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2021, 03:14:31 PM »

Don't feed the troll, Bruce.
Dipper Josh

« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2021, 04:25:47 PM »

Will be interesting to see if raising this much so quickly ends up discouraging any potential challengers from jumping in.

Possibly. The early Sanders endorsement was probably also critical in getting other potential left-wing candidates to stay out.

Folks, I know this forum severely underestimates the political savvyness of left wingers but come on. There's no way Nina Turner is dumb enough to punt away a safe house seat just so she can be the sacrificial lamb we put up in 2024.

We need somebody who doesn't have something to lose, Ben Jealous maybe?

I am a left-winger, and I don't appreciate how you directed an entire rant at something I didn't say which should have been directed at someone else in this thread. Do better.

I intended to quote the post above yours, I apologize.

Folks, I know this forum severely underestimates the political savvyness of left wingers but come on. There's no way Nina Turner is dumb enough to punt away a safe house seat just so she can be the sacrificial lamb we put up in 2024.

Well, candidates have done so before (e.g., Tulsi Gabbard & John Delaney this cycle), so it's not exactly out of the question, but if her presidential primary chances against Kamala aren't looking so hot (as they presumably won't), then she'd probably just pull a Booker/Inslee/Ryan/Swalwell/Moulton/Rubio/Paul & jump back into her incumbent race before the filing deadline.

I suppose that isn't out of the question, I see it as quite unlikely for a number of reasons. It'd look rather poor on her to jump immediately into a race for higher office as soon as she wins OH-11, and if she did it would immediately draw well funded primary challengers into her district while she's off running the national race. Would they defeat her as an incumbent? Probably not but why cause the trouble. I'm sure she'd know this and act accordingly.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2021, 07:32:27 AM »

To no one's surprise, Justice Dems is backing Turner:

BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2021, 08:52:39 AM »

If Turner does win, which seems increasingly likely to me, I am very doubtful she would run for President in 2024. Maybe someday, there's a strong tradition of left-wing U.S. Representatives from Cleveland making pointless Presidential bids, but not in 2024.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2021, 02:45:10 PM »

lol
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2021, 03:01:22 PM »

lol

You love to see it
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2021, 04:18:18 PM »

What was Biden thinking?
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #135 on: February 01, 2021, 04:25:47 PM »

Welp, the scorching hot takes on the first page are aging horribly, to say the least...
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2021, 02:48:47 PM »

Welp, the scorching hot takes on the first page are aging horribly, to say the least...

I maintain that my reasoning was sound and that Turner still isn’t a lock by any stretch, but I do admit that I was wrong about the Cuyahoga County Dems being able to get their sh!t together (I swear, those clowns can barely even tie their shoes on a good day). 
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2021, 03:28:54 PM »

I hadn't thought to check on this thread, since I assumed it would be a steaming mess of hot takes about Nina Turner, but... wow, people really thought she had no chance? You may not like Turner, but she's not comparable to someone like Cenk Uygur, and while money isn't everything, her name recognition will definitely help her.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2021, 04:37:28 PM »

I hadn't thought to check on this thread, since I assumed it would be a steaming mess of hot takes about Nina Turner, but... wow, people really thought she had no chance? You may not like Turner, but she's not comparable to someone like Cenk Uygur, and while money isn't everything, her name recognition will definitely help her.

I mean, she’d be DOA if the Cuyahoga County Democratic establishment even remotely had its act together, but sadly they still don’t Sad
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2021, 05:03:12 PM »

I am surprised Turner's cop ties haven't damaged her yet

Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2021, 05:04:58 PM »

I am surprised Turner's cop ties haven't damaged her yet

Her cop ties?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2021, 03:31:38 PM »

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2021, 04:53:53 PM »

Her husband and son are police officers. Black police officers are seen as sellouts....I am surprised this hasn't been brought up yet.....

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2021, 04:56:02 PM »

Nina Turner is a great fit for OH
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2021, 04:56:33 PM »

GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2021, 06:03:56 PM »

Obviously I was never one of the people who thought Turner was noncompetitive but one must wonder wtf the Cuyahoga Democrats are thinking. There are now four non-Turner Democrats running for this seat, which does nothing but split the moderate/establishment vote and risk a MI-13 scenario, plus there have been no high profile endorsements of anyone besides Nina Turner, plus she has way more money than everyone else combined. They might as well roll out the red carpet at this point.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2021, 10:23:31 PM »

Obviously I was never one of the people who thought Turner was noncompetitive but one must wonder wtf the Cuyahoga Democrats are thinking. There are now four non-Turner Democrats running for this seat, which does nothing but split the moderate/establishment vote and risk a MI-13 scenario, plus there have been no high profile endorsements of anyone besides Nina Turner, plus she has way more money than everyone else combined. They might as well roll out the red carpet at this point.

Perhaps there was a back room deal to give Fudge a cabinet seat to please African-Americans, while also promising to not oppose Turner from having a congressional seat to give the progressives another darling
englandrightnow
« Reply #147 on: February 06, 2021, 02:45:08 PM »

I hope Nina wins.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2021, 05:15:17 PM »

Barnes isn't really a Democrat, so CCDP had no leverage in keeping him out. He was elected to four consecutive terms in the Ohio House of Representatives from 2010 - 2018 and always caucuses with the Republicans. He is the Ruben Diaz Sr. of this election.
mikhaela
Rookie

« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2021, 09:58:49 AM »

Do we really need another squad member?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 112  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies