Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:49:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 112
Author Topic: Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)  (Read 135648 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2020, 12:35:09 AM »

This is already becoming one of my favourite threads on Atlas.

A bunch of people acting like they're experts in the OH-11 district saying she wont be competitive in the first couple pages, then she breaks a fundraising record and pulls in a slew of endorsements almost instantly.

chef's kiss.

She’s gonna lose, but whatever helps you sleep at night Smiley

Big "Anybody who thinks Nina Turner would win this doesnt understand Ohio politics" energy

I wouldn’t go that far, but she’s certainly got her work cut out for her, that’s for sure.  

On a different note, apparently Emilia Sykes is taking a pretty hard look at running here.  If she does, then the Akron Democratic machine will go all-in for her and she’s probably got the Akron portion of the district locked down.

I wouldn't bet on Sykes running. (Although I wouldn't completely rule it out, either.) She has her eyes on a bigger prize, and if she did win, she would be in trouble quickly. OH-11 is all but guaranteed to recede into Cuyahoga County entirely come redistricting, meaning Sykes would have to move and lose her core primary voting base in the process.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2020, 03:25:22 AM »

A bunch of people acting like they're experts in the OH-11 district saying she wont be competitive in the first couple pages, then she breaks a fundraising record and pulls in a slew of endorsements almost instantly.

chef's kiss.

Big "Anybody who thinks Nina Turner would win this doesnt understand Ohio politics" energy

I wouldn’t go that far, but she’s certainly got her work cut out for her, that’s for sure.  

On a different note, apparently Emilia Sykes is taking a pretty hard look at running here.  If she does, then the Akron Democratic machine will go all-in for her and she’s probably got the Akron portion of the district locked down.

I wouldn't bet on Sykes running. (Although I wouldn't completely rule it out, either.) She has her eyes on a bigger prize, and if she did win, she would be in trouble quickly. OH-11 is all but guaranteed to recede into Cuyahoga County entirely come redistricting, meaning Sykes would have to move and lose her core primary voting base in the process.
What's a bigger prize?
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2020, 03:58:18 PM »

Why would anyone even want this seat, it is 100% going to be redistricting into oblivion.
If the OH-GOP is smart they would break this and the Youngstown seat up while making a Cincinnati Dem pack. The map would look very nice (won’t prompt backlash) and would still be a pretty safe way to net a seat.

I'm pretty sure this is a VRA seat.
Correct. It needs to elect someone black, but does not need to be maj-black.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2020, 04:19:12 PM »

Why would anyone even want this seat, it is 100% going to be redistricting into oblivion.
If the OH-GOP is smart they would break this and the Youngstown seat up while making a Cincinnati Dem pack. The map would look very nice (won’t prompt backlash) and would still be a pretty safe way to net a seat.

I'm pretty sure this is a VRA seat.
Correct. It needs to elect someone black, but does not need to be maj-black.

No it can elect a white person too just like Cohen and Gary Peters.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2020, 06:35:45 PM »

chef's kiss.

What's a bigger prize?

Governor, someday. Sykes might take a detour to Congress, but it would make sense to hold out for the lines to be redrawn if she does. It is moderately likely there will be a Summit County-based U.S. House seat in 2022, and there hasn't really one of those since the 1990s.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2020, 06:46:26 PM »

chef's kiss.

What's a bigger prize?

Governor, someday. Sykes might take a detour to Congress, but it would make sense to hold out for the lines to be redrawn if she does. It is moderately likely there will be a Summit County-based U.S. House seat in 2022, and there hasn't really one of those since the 1990s.

Said house seat can also be Safe R
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2020, 07:25:06 PM »

chef's kiss.

What's a bigger prize?

Sykes has no chance at Governor
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2020, 05:21:21 PM »

That's doubtful. It would be tough to split Summit County twice and have both seats be safe for Republicans.

chef's kiss.

What's a bigger prize?

Sykes has no chance at Governor

Not saying she's likely to win, but it's what she wants most. Sykes styles herself the next Stacey Abrams for a reason.
W
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -8.61

« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2020, 05:21:20 PM »

This is gonna be a very low turnout election, and Turner has a massive cash advantage. It's her game to lose, which is certainly still a big possibility.

This isn't gonna be a Cenk Uygur. For those babbling about the "city political machine being against her," I congratulate Lacy Clay for winning his 11th term in office.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2020, 11:46:32 PM »

Nina Turner's son is a police officer, and her husband is a retired police officer.

Will that disqualify her?

She'll be seen as part of the corrupt system. Once you are a part of the "family", you are complicit.

The Democratic Party has a strain of anti-police sentiment baked in with the leftwing movements.

https://www.democracynow.org/2016/7/18/my_heart_aches_sen_nina_turner

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2020, 11:58:18 PM »

Nina Turner's son is a police officer, and her husband is a retired police officer.

She'll be seen as part of the corrupt system. Once you are a part of the "family", you are complicit.

The Democratic Party has a strain of anti-police sentiment baked in with the leftwing movements.

bronz, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent statement were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, & may God have mercy on your soul.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2020, 12:01:30 AM »

Unless Nina Turner herself is a police officer, this isn't an issue.

Val Demings on the other hand, could be in trouble in a primary for that reason.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2020, 12:16:52 PM »

Nina Turner in........literally hundreds of Republican ads. Nice job, genius.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2020, 09:47:37 PM »

bronz, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent statement were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, & may God have mercy on your soul.

It's not dumb what I said, it is the truth. When people find out that she is connected to cops, she could lose her leftwing base.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2020, 10:43:19 PM »

It's not dumb what I said, it is the truth. When people find out that she is connected to cops, she could lose her leftwing base.

No, caricaturing the left as a group that will cancel somebody because their relatives are police officers is indeed dumb.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2021, 04:42:36 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2021, 04:46:20 PM by gracile »

Turner raised $630K by the end of last year-

Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2021, 04:50:24 PM »

This seat is D+ a bajillion, not an issue. If you're talking about being mentioned in other races nationally, I doubt it; she's hardly a known figure outside of progressive circles and there's limited mileage you can get by tying house members to some backbencher from their caucus.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2021, 04:51:29 PM »

This seat is D+ a bajillion, not an issue. If you're talking about being mentioned in other races nationally, I doubt it; she's hardly a known figure outside of progressive circles and there's limited mileage you can get by tying house members to some backbencher from their caucus.

The establishment always needs a scapegoat when crappy candidates like Shalala lose.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2021, 04:54:19 PM »

Will be interesting to see if raising this much so quickly ends up discouraging any potential challengers from jumping in.
Catalunya
Rookie
Netherlands

« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2021, 04:58:43 PM »

If Nina Turner wins this she will probably be Kamala’s main challenger in 2024.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2021, 05:03:32 PM »

If Nina Turner wins this she will probably be Kamala’s main challenger in 2024.
If Nina Turner is Kamala's main challenger then we'll have a primary that looks a lot like 2000.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2021, 05:08:24 PM »

Will be interesting to see if raising this much so quickly ends up discouraging any potential challengers from jumping in.

Possibly. The early Sanders endorsement was probably also critical in getting other potential left-wing candidates to stay out.
Dipper Josh

« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2021, 04:55:13 PM »

Possibly. The early Sanders endorsement was probably also critical in getting other potential left-wing candidates to stay out.

Folks, I know this forum severely underestimates the political savvyness of left wingers but come on. There's no way Nina Turner is dumb enough to punt away a safe house seat just so she can be the sacrificial lamb we put up in 2024.

We need somebody who doesn't have something to lose, Ben Jealous maybe?
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2021, 04:58:46 PM »

Folks, I know this forum severely underestimates the political savvyness of left wingers but come on. There's no way Nina Turner is dumb enough to punt away a safe house seat just so she can be the sacrificial lamb we put up in 2024.

We need somebody who doesn't have something to lose, Ben Jealous maybe?

I am a left-winger, and I don't appreciate how you directed an entire rant at something I didn't say which should have been directed at someone else in this thread. Do better.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2021, 05:04:30 PM »

Well, candidates have done so before (e.g., Tulsi Gabbard & John Delaney this cycle), so it's not exactly out of the question, but if her presidential primary chances against Kamala aren't looking so hot (as they presumably won't), then she'd probably just pull a Booker/Inslee/Ryan/Swalwell/Moulton/Rubio/Paul & jump back into her incumbent race before the filing deadline.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 112  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies