Describe a George Wallace/Jesse Jackson/Bernie Sanders voter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:36:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Describe a George Wallace/Jesse Jackson/Bernie Sanders voter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a George Wallace/Jesse Jackson/Bernie Sanders voter  (Read 718 times)
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2020, 02:16:22 PM »

some sort of reductionist populist type?
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 02:56:58 PM »

A segregationist who changed their views on race sometime between 1969 and 1983 and became a very liberal Democrat after they changed their views.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 04:21:52 PM »

A segregationist who changed their views on race sometime between 1969 and 1983 and became a very liberal Democrat after they changed their views.

I mean, I know this site regularly quibbles about this, but this type of voter was most likely a very liberal Democrat ALWAYS.  They were simply a liberal Democrat that supported segregation and then one that got over it.  A lot of those people existed, and it's not productive to sweep them under the rug to try to make ideological sorting of the parties into some simple affair.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 04:24:24 PM »

Didn't Wallace actually do reasonably well with working class voters in the Midwest?
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 04:47:30 PM »

I mean, I know this site regularly quibbles about this, but this type of voter was most likely a very liberal Democrat ALWAYS.  They were simply a liberal Democrat that supported segregation and then one that got over it.  A lot of those people existed, and it's not productive to sweep them under the rug to try to make ideological sorting of the parties into some simple affair.

Especially since economics was probably the area that George Wallace differed the least from Bernie Sanders or Jesse Jackson.
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 04:50:59 PM »

Didn't Wallace actually do reasonably well with working class voters in the Midwest?

Yes, and some polling taken after the convention showed him coming in second in the popular vote. Humphrey was able to peel a lot of that back by going after his record on labor issues.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 06:36:10 PM »

Especially since economics was probably the area that George Wallace differed the least from Bernie Sanders or Jesse Jackson.

Exactly.  There were obviously many very conservative Democrats - even on economic issues - that were ardent segregationists, but there were also many who were more liberal on these issues.  The point is that "Southern Democrats" (and, by extension, "segregationists" for much of the Twentieth Century) was a broad term to describe a very ideologically diverse, big tent group.  Even if one wants to maintain that supporting segregation is an inherently "socially 'conservative'" position (I do not agree, but that is beside the point), it does not make all segregationists "conservatives."
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 07:19:57 PM »

Exactly.  There were obviously many very conservative Democrats - even on economic issues - that were ardent segregationists, but there were also many who were more liberal on these issues.  The point is that "Southern Democrats" (and, by extension, "segregationists" for much of the Twentieth Century) was a broad term to describe a very ideologically diverse, big tent group.  Even if one wants to maintain that supporting segregation is an inherently "socially 'conservative'" position (I do not agree, but that is beside the point), it does not make all segregationists "conservatives."

People forget that that's a dynamic that always exists in one party regions and still does today if you look at the range of Democrats in places like Boston, NYC and Boston.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 11:21:27 PM »

People forget that that's a dynamic that always exists in one party regions and still does today if you look at the range of Democrats in places like Boston, NYC and Boston.Chicago.
Fix’d
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies