Seniority tiebreakers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:47:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Seniority tiebreakers
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Seniority tiebreakers  (Read 1067 times)
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 09, 2021, 08:00:46 AM »

In terms of seniority, Sheldon Whitehouse and Jon Tester are ranked #28 and #29 respectively, as they both assumed office on 3 January 2007 and population of the respective states (RI and MT) is the effective tiebreaker to determine who is the more senior Senator.

As MT is set to overtake RI in terms of population according to estimates, would this elevate Tester to rank #28 (ahead of Whitehouse) when the census results get released?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 08:38:07 AM »

I looked up the tiebreakers myself and it seems you're right. I'm not sure how it would work, but it would seem like Tester would jump over Whitehouse in that case. After all, the other tiebreakers (like being a former Senator or former House member) would have that individual jump ahead. I don't see how this would be any different.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 10:09:48 AM »

The population tiebreaker is based on State population of the most recent census at the time the Senators took office. So Tester won't overtake Whitehouse, as the 2000 Census results haven't changed. If there's any overtaking, it'll be if Alabama unexpectedly passes Tennessee and they redo the tiebreaker between Tuberville and Haggerty once the 2020 Census results are finally released.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 11:03:00 AM »

The population tiebreaker is based on State population of the most recent census at the time the Senators took office. So Tester won't overtake Whitehouse, as the 2000 Census results haven't changed. If there's any overtaking, it'll be if Alabama unexpectedly passes Tennessee and they redo the tiebreaker between Tuberville and Haggerty once the 2020 Census results are finally released.

Really? I didn't see that anywhere. I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's contrary to other seniority measures and tiebreakers.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 11:12:07 AM »

Really? I didn't see that anywhere. I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's contrary to other seniority measures and tiebreakers.

No?  Being a former member of Congress doesn’t allow you to “leap frog” senators who came into office before you did.  If Obama went back to the Senate sometime later this year, he’d be more junior than all the new senators just inaugurated
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 12:17:20 PM »

No?  Being a former member of Congress doesn’t allow you to “leap frog” senators who came into office before you did.  If Obama went back to the Senate sometime later this year, he’d be more junior than all the new senators just inaugurated

Altho if he'd resumed his Senate seat on January 3, he'd have been the most senior of them.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 02:34:09 PM »

Is this even possible, since the 2020 Census wasn't formally completed by the time they were sworn-in on Jan. 3rd?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 03:54:08 PM »

Is this even possible, since the 2020 Census wasn't formally completed by the time they were sworn-in on Jan. 3rd?

Depends on how they interpret the rule and how the rule is worded. However, the estimates for their States' populations would have to both be radically wrong with Alabama's population much higher and Tennessee's much lower than expected for it to go beyond the theoretical. I strongly doubt that the estimates would change enough for Tennessee to lose a House seat and Alabama to gain a House seat, even with Tennessee still having more people, let alone with Alabama having more. I brought it up mainly because of the new incoming Senators, those two are the only ones whose relative seniority depends upon the State populations tiebreaker.

Weirdly enough, Raffensperger might be able to influence whether Ossoff or Warnock will be Georgia's senior Senator. If he certifies them at the same time, Ossoff will have seniority based on the alphabetical tiebreaker, but if he certifies Warnock first and holds off on Ossoff for a day or more for some reason, such as a recount, then Warnock will be the senior Senator.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 02:27:09 PM »

Depends on how they interpret the rule and how the rule is worded. However, the estimates for their States' populations would have to both be radically wrong with Alabama's population much higher and Tennessee's much lower than expected for it to go beyond the theoretical. I strongly doubt that the estimates would change enough for Tennessee to lose a House seat and Alabama to gain a House seat, even with Tennessee still having more people, let alone with Alabama having more. I brought it up mainly because of the new incoming Senators, those two are the only ones whose relative seniority depends upon the State populations tiebreaker.

Weirdly enough, Raffensperger might be able to influence whether Ossoff or Warnock will be Georgia's senior Senator. If he certifies them at the same time, Ossoff will have seniority based on the alphabetical tiebreaker, but if he certifies Warnock first and holds off on Ossoff for a day or more for some reason, such as a recount, then Warnock will be the senior Senator.
I couldn't find any formal definition of a rule.

The Senate Rules says that it is the sense of the Senate that committee rules should provide for subcommittee assignment by seniority, without defining seniority.

The Foreign Relations committee rules simply copy-pastes from the Senate Rules.

I did find a mention in a senate guide that the use of additional rules is of recent custom, and that before 1953 seniority was determined alphabetically.

I did come across this interesting list.

https://www.senate.gov/senators/Biographical/former_senators_state.htm

There are only 166 living former senators which is interesting given that there are only 100 living senators.

Three states have no former senators.

HI - since 2018 Daniel Akaka died at 93.
KY - since 2017 Jim Bunning died at 85
VT - since2014 Jim Jeffords died at 72

GA has 9 former senators, the most of any.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 03:36:12 PM »

Turns out Padilla ended up senior to Ossoff and Warnock because of the population tiebreaker. Georgia obviously isn't overtaking California any time soon, though.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 11:39:15 AM »

Turns out Padilla ended up senior to Ossoff and Warnock because of the population tiebreaker. Georgia obviously isn't overtaking California any time soon, though.

There certainly are a lot more Democrats willing to admit they're from Georgia now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies