Supreme Court will hear case about Medicaid Work Requirements
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:16:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Supreme Court will hear case about Medicaid Work Requirements
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Supreme Court will hear case about Medicaid Work Requirements  (Read 278 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2020, 04:39:30 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/04/politics/supreme-court-medicaid-work-requirements/index.html

The Supreme Court agreed Friday to review whether the Trump administration can allow states to impose work requirements in their Medicaid programs.

The administration had asked the justices in July to reinstate its historic approvals of state work requirements waivers, which it argues may assist certain beneficiaries in transitioning to private policies and may lead to improved health, as well as help states conserve financial resources to provide coverage to others in need.

Lower courts have voided the Department of Health and Human Services' approvals, saying Medicaid's main purpose is to provide health care coverage.

Regardless of the Supreme Court's ultimate decision, work requirements are not expected to last long in the incoming Biden administration, which supports expanding access to coverage, not throwing up roadblocks to Medicaid enrollment.

How will the Supreme Court rule, and which justice will write the Majority Opinion?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 05:15:58 PM »

They won't in the end, though. Biden will moot this case before it's even argued by having his HHS rescind authorization.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 10:20:26 PM »

They won't in the end, though. Biden will moot this case before it's even argued by having his HHS rescind authorization.

Agreed. But looking at the legal issue and the merits, this shouldn't have even come to the Court. There's no justification in any statute to tie work requirements to Medicaid eligibility.

I read the article above and I noticed Judge David Sentelle. I don't remember where I heard that name before, but I'm pretty sure he's a very conservative judge from what I recall.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies