Future Cases Involving Native American Tribal Rights?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:44:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Future Cases Involving Native American Tribal Rights?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Future Cases Involving Native American Tribal Rights?  (Read 557 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2020, 02:27:58 PM »
« edited: December 01, 2020, 02:49:53 PM by Skill and Chance »

Thus far these cases have been decided in favor of the tribe since Gorsuch was seated, but usually by 5/4 votes with Ginsburg in the majority.  The "left/right" order in these cases was very unusual and looked something like this, with Gorsuch being at least the 2nd most likely to favor the tribe's claim:

Left/Expansive view of tribal rights

Sotomayor/Gorsuch
Kagan/Ginsburg
Breyer
Thomas
Roberts/Kavanaugh/Alito

Right/Enforce existing state law

Thomas has shown some interest in enforcing various 19th century treaties, but he usually votes for the status quo anyway and the other 3 conservatives have shown no interest at all in swinging on these issues.
With Barrett replacing Ginsburg and seemingly belonging somewhere in the Roberts/Kavanaugh/Alito camp of legal conservatism, do the tribes have any hope of winning these cases anymore? 

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 02:44:05 PM »

McGirt was almost certainly the last major tribal rights expansion through the judiciary for the next several decades unless court-packing somehow ends up happening or Thomas or Alito dies abruptly. I don't see Thomas evolving on this issue area unless Gorsuch makes an active priority of grooming him into doing so (which I guess he conceivably might).
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 11:07:36 AM »

McGirt was almost certainly the last major tribal rights expansion through the judiciary for the next several decades unless court-packing somehow ends up happening or Thomas or Alito dies abruptly. I don't see Thomas evolving on this issue area unless Gorsuch makes an active priority of grooming him into doing so (which I guess he conceivably might).

Occurs to me that criminal defendants will now also need Thomas to win on originalist arguments.  The libertarian/restore ancient rights path to liberalish decisions has been completely short-circuited.  The institutional stability/don't rock the boat path is still there as Roberts has been effective leaning on Kavanaugh (PA/NC absentee cases, new ACA case oral arguments) and Barrett shows some of the same inclination (census case oral arguments).
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 11:46:13 PM »

I think Gorsuch is going to kind of groom Kavanaugh and Barrett - as the most senior of three very young Justices, he has an easy opportunity to reshape the Court permanently and make it the Gorsuch Court.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies