How The Dutch Economy Shows We Can't Reduce Wealth Inequality With Taxes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:53:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  How The Dutch Economy Shows We Can't Reduce Wealth Inequality With Taxes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Thoughts on the quoted sentence?
Agree (D)

Agree (R)

Agree (I/O)

Agree (S/G/C)

Disagree (D)

Disagree (R)

Disagree (I/O)

Disaree (S/G/C)

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: How The Dutch Economy Shows We Can't Reduce Wealth Inequality With Taxes  (Read 2865 times)
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« on: December 05, 2020, 12:04:35 AM »

"That goes to show that inequality doesn't always cause issues so long as there are equitable systems in place to make sure that everyone genuinely has the ability to rise up, and that the comfort, safety, and well-being of average people is not sacrificed in the name of profits for a few.

I think I somehow managed to make everybody on both the left and the right angry with that sentence."
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 12:15:35 PM »

I wonder who was the S/C/G avatar who voted Disagree, and why.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 12:28:57 PM »

I wonder who was the S/C/G avatar who voted Disagree, and why.

Really curious who the 3 other people who voted Disagree (D, R, I/O) were.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 09:43:07 PM »

Quote from: AAD

What makes this mindset even stranger is that it is the complete opposite of the American attitude to every other facet of life: that everyone can be successful if they just "work hard" and stop being lazy and demanding handouts so if you're not rich you have no excuse.

The evidence suggests that everyone can be above the poverty line if they work a steady job and don't commit one of a pretty small number of errors (basically not taking out enormous debt or having a child with someone who won't help you raise the child)...

But the evidence doesn't really suggest that working hard can result in better educational outcomes for all but very a small number of people; for example, contrary to the criticism, expensive tutoring helps very, very few people on standardized tests. Most see no improvement. Something like a third of students will just never be able to pass Algebra II no matter how hard they work. (Obviously being very lazy can tank your grades, but this is only the problem for a very small number of poor performers.) It seems like IQ (or SAT/ACT score, which is incredibly strongly correlated to IQ) is determined partially by genetics and partially by non-shared environment (ie, not school, not home life, some kind of totally unknown x-factor, hypothesized to be largely determined prenatally because one thing we know makes a difference here, even in the First World, is iodine supplementation, which you should really really really do if you are ever pregnant), and working hard does not help.

What this means is that it's very important that our education system -- which is essentially governmental at this point -- doesn't foreclose access to jobs with dignity to those who can't hack it. "If you're not rich you have no excuse" isn't true; first of all because everyone is rich by the standards of the not-too-distant past, but second because obviously many people don't have the skills, knowledge, or intelligence to become rich by our standards. (Including many very educated people, for that matter). This is totally fine because as long as we incentivize people to grow the pie by having a strongly capitalist economic system, everyone will do better in an absolute sense over time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies