Do you think 2024 and beyond the Republicans can gain with racial minorities?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:04:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you think 2024 and beyond the Republicans can gain with racial minorities?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do you think 2024 and beyond the Republicans can gain with racial minorities?  (Read 1527 times)
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2020, 09:25:05 PM »

Does anyone here thinks that the Republicans 2024 and beyond will try to be more appealing to African Americans, Hispanics, Asians, Natives, multiracial people?
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 09:29:16 PM »

if we'd like to keep winning elections, we have to. I also think people overhype how hard it is to reach out to minority voters. They're people just like anyone else. They want good jobs and strong communities. To make permanent inroads, republicans have to keep at it for cycle after cycle but I've talked to national republicans who are specifically dedicating their time to this. Will Hurd told me about Tony Gonzales about a year ago and was very confident he would retain the seat because Hurd's campaign had passed along their playbook. I didn't believe him at the time but hey. Here we are.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 09:31:48 PM »

Obviously they can; the real question is if they will.

I think if the education divide continues to become the most prominent divide in politics, the racial divides in our country politically will become less extreme. Also; there's no longer one party that is "against" people of color like there has been throughout much of American history. We see both parties electing minorities to congress and both parties with high profile black and Hispanic politicians. With that being said, barring a massive realignment no one saw coming, I think that the Democrat Party will still continue to win the majority of vote from most racial minorities.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 09:35:48 PM »

I honestly think if Texas becomes more slowly out of reach and be more like Georgia today, then there might be some serious push for this strategy.

Or another Republican president winning the EC but losing the PV.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 09:42:42 PM »

Yes. Republicans will find ways to improve with some of these groups because it would be electoral suicide if they didn't. As shown in 2020, it may not look the way conventional wisdom would predict, but it will happen at some point in the near future. If I had to guess, Republicans will probably find it easiest to gain with rural, native-born Hispanics and multiracial voters (especially white/Hispanic and white/Asian) and hardest to gain with Native American and black voters. The next Republican President to win the popular vote has a good chance of winning at least 45% of Hispanics, at least 40% percent of Asians, and at least 50% of multiracial voters. The country gets more ethnically diverse each year, so a continuation of improvement with minority voters is a necessity for the long-term viability for the GOP.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 09:44:40 PM »

Yes. Republicans will find ways to improve with some of these groups because it would be electoral suicide if they didn't. As shown in 2020, it may not look the way conventional wisdom would predict, but it will happen at some point in the near future. If I had to guess, Republicans will probably find it easiest to gain with rural, native-born Hispanics and multiracial voters (especially white/Hispanic and white/Asian) and hardest to gain with Native American and black voters. The next Republican President to win the popular vote has a good chance of winning at least 45% of Hispanics, at least 40% percent of Asians, and at least 50% of multiracial voters. The country gets more ethnically diverse each year, so a continuation of improvement with nonwhite voters is a necessity for the long-term viability for the GOP.

Plus if you think about it, this strategy will help make even California competitive.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 09:53:40 PM »

The GOP will have to give up a lot of their core base (rural whites and white working class) in order to do so. Will they want to do that anytime soon? I doubt it. If the GOP still has an advantage in the Senate and Electoral College, they will have no incentive to "reach out" more to minority voters.

It's similar to the conundrum that the Democratic Party found itself in the 1960s.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 09:55:25 PM »

Yes. Republicans will find ways to improve with some of these groups because it would be electoral suicide if they didn't. As shown in 2020, it may not look the way conventional wisdom would predict, but it will happen at some point in the near future. If I had to guess, Republicans will probably find it easiest to gain with rural, native-born Hispanics and multiracial voters (especially white/Hispanic and white/Asian) and hardest to gain with Native American and black voters. The next Republican President to win the popular vote has a good chance of winning at least 45% of Hispanics, at least 40% percent of Asians, and at least 50% of multiracial voters. The country gets more ethnically diverse each year, so a continuation of improvement with nonwhite voters is a necessity for the long-term viability for the GOP.

Plus if you think about it, this strategy will help make even California competitive.

It would make it closer, but probably still not winnable statewide. They could certainly pick up a lot of heavily Hispanic rural and suburban seats in southern California, but the urban-rural and education divides are probably here to stay, so California Hispanics will probably still be more Democratic than Hispanics in Texas and other more conservative states. The biggest upsides for Republicans would be keeping Texas and Florida Likely R and making New Mexico competitive.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 05:15:55 AM »

Let's not get ahead of ourselves now
EastwoodS

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 05:55:01 AM »

The GOP will have to give up a lot of their core base (rural whites and white working class) in order to do so. Will they want to do that anytime soon? I doubt it. If the GOP still has an advantage in the Senate and Electoral College, they will have no incentive to "reach out" more to minority voters.

It's similar to the conundrum that the Democratic Party found itself in the 1960s.
Bro, chill, where else is will the base be going to ? The Democrats!!? They will vote GOP no matter where they go.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 08:42:39 AM »

Bro, chill, where else is will the base be going to ? The Democrats!!? They will vote GOP no matter where they go.
Is this sarcasm?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 10:32:35 AM »

No our Senate lineup will hold our gains among minorities.  What does the Rs have to offer D's or indies more tax cuts for the rich

Since Covid happened that isnt a selling issue anylonger
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 11:02:50 AM »

No. Also, I never said that they would start to vote for the Democrats. C'mon, be smarter than that.

Those rural and WWC voters would either stop voting or vote for a more conservative third party.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 11:42:09 AM »

Well relative to 2016, in the 2020 exit polls Trump performed:

8% worse with white men
2% better with white women
9% better with black men
9% better with black women
9% better with latino men
5% better with latino women
10% better with 'other' (even if it's not broken down by race/gender)

So they already have made some inroads, and it seems white, upper middle class, college educated, suburban in particular, men are the ones who (presumably) cost Trump the presidency.

Trump's brand of civic nationalism is a step in the right direction, and if he continues in this vein or a successor picks up the mantle there is ample room for growth.
The exit polls are junk, maybe precinct data is better
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 01:19:06 PM »

Yeah, but probably only with certain groups of them at first. Each minority group is much more diverse than people think and won’t swing one way or the other as a monolith.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies