Will GOP turn on Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:14:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Will GOP turn on Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will they?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Will GOP turn on Trump?  (Read 5248 times)
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2020, 08:50:17 PM »

I say yes they'll never let him get the nomination again.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 08:58:45 PM »

Publicly, no. Behind the scenes, maybe.

Unless you're talking about the voters, in which case the answer is no.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 09:17:28 PM »

Publicly, no. Behind the scenes, maybe.

Unless you're talking about the voters, in which case the answer is no.
Behind the scenes, they already have. In fact, I think a large number of them have always been against Trump behind the scenes.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 09:17:56 PM »

For the sake of the country and basic civility, hopefully, but probably not any time soon.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 10:42:10 PM »

They can't do it publicly; he controls the base.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 10:47:44 PM »

Eventually?

Probably. They have turned on just about all of their former idols eventually, after all. Especially the ones who lose elections.

In the immediate future?

Probably not.

Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 10:51:14 PM »

They will if they think it is best for their electoral prospects.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 07:06:23 AM »

The answer you are looking for is no.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 07:53:23 AM »

Maybe not at this moment, but no one backs a loser.  And that's what Trump is--a rare incumbent who lost re-election.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 09:33:16 AM »

Interesting take from you. Why do you say that? If much of the base thinks the election was rigged then the whole 'loser' perception is invalid to them and they'll vote for him again.

I'll say this, I certainly want the GOP to move on from Trump, but I don't suspect they will. Much like the Democrats, there are much better people for the presidency than the people that have been nominated/won elections. And you can still have a Trumpian party on policy with a tough 'says it like it is' sales pitch without the 4th-grade vocabulary, narcissism, petty Twitter posts, and the other negatives that goes along with Trump the person. That's just my POV though.
neostassenite31
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 12:25:14 PM »

Anyone who dares to question and betray the Beloved Glorious Supreme Leader will stand no chance of survival in their next election. Such was true in 2018 and 2020, and such will be true in 2022 and 2024.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 12:36:35 PM »

I'm not saying he will 100% be nominee if he runs, but how does the RNC or congressional leaders stop him? He's still loved among base voters, and they're the ones who elect their nominee. The party elite would never have allowed him to go anywhere in 2016 if there was a chance to stop him.

If Trump isn't the nominee, he either doesn't run for various possible reasons, or his cult just fades away with a majority of GOP voters. But there is no chance party elites stop him in smokefilled rooms. These times are long gone.

And you have become less Trumpish, SN? I'm surprised in a positive way.
neostassenite31
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 01:06:52 PM »

I'm not saying he will 100% be nominee if he runs, but how does the RNC or congressional leaders stop him? He's still loved among base voters, and they're the ones who elect their nominee. The party elite would never have allowed him to go anywhere in 2016 if there was a chance to stop him.

If the so-called closet anti-Trumpers and moderates in the state parties and RNC can bind together and lock the MAGA hardliners out of the RNC leadership and most state party chair posts following next year's election (assuming McDaniel is actually a moderate and not a secret Trumpist agent), they could seriously hinder Trump's 2024 campaign by locking the true MAGA faction out of the RNC and state party affiliated financial and data infrastructure.

In the unlikely scenario that the anti-Trump coalition manages to win the upcoming Republican civil war, and if they're truly willing to bring him down at all costs, they could just cancel the primaries altogether (political suicide) or have the RNC coordinate with the state parties they control and change all of the 2024 primaries to closed elections restricted to state party constitutional officers, most of whom the party chair personally appoints.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 11:13:33 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2020, 11:17:31 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Trump's ability to control the space is what allows him to have such overwhelming influence on the party and command such loyalty. What the going lesson should be is that the people who are seeking to oppose him, need to go hot and heavy on him for the next four years. He declares on the 20th, declare the same date. He calls you a Rino, you call him worse. Get into Twitter wars with him. Crowd the space, raid the echo chamber.

If you want to stop Trump, you need to to out balls him and cuck him into submission.

None of this Craven Cruz hold back and inherit his supporters crap. You want to inherit his supporters, you got to cuck him and make yourself look tougher then he is.  

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 05:14:29 AM »

Only if the GOP collapses in the midterms.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2020, 05:21:33 AM »

Probably by 2024, but not in the next year or so
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2020, 07:16:27 AM »

Only if they think it would benefit them electorally to do so. In other words, no.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2020, 10:27:39 AM »

Trump's ability to control the space is what allows him to have such overwhelming influence on the party and command such loyalty. What the going lesson should be is that the people who are seeking to oppose him, need to go hot and heavy on him for the next four years. He declares on the 20th, declare the same date. He calls you a Rino, you call him worse. Get into Twitter wars with him. Crowd the space, raid the echo chamber.

If you want to stop Trump, you need to to out balls him and cuck him into submission.

None of this Craven Cruz hold back and inherit his supporters crap. You want to inherit his supporters, you got to cuck him and make yourself look tougher then he is.  

Yeah, but the people you're talking about are way too much of a pussy to do any of that. Matter of fact they're probably offended by how I phrased that.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2020, 11:19:50 AM »

Not as long as he is a salient force in GOP politics. As long as he’s got his rallies and 2024 going, they are going to stick by him. The second the grift collapses or he dies or w/e, we will all find out that every Republican was a secret resister against crypto-liberal establishment Trump. As always.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2020, 11:35:09 AM »

Interesting take from you. Why do you say that? If much of the base thinks the election was rigged then the whole 'loser' perception is invalid to them and they'll vote for him again.

I'll say this, I certainly want the GOP to move on from Trump, but I don't suspect they will. Much like the Democrats, there are much better people for the presidency than the people that have been nominated/won elections. And you can still have a Trumpian party on policy with a tough 'says it like it is' sales pitch without the 4th-grade vocabulary, narcissism, petty Twitter posts, and the other negatives that goes along with Trump the person. That's just my POV though.
I don't know I feel they are going to try to stop him from getting the nomination if he runs
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2021, 11:29:18 PM »

Now we know. 
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2021, 11:33:47 PM »

No.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2021, 01:09:22 PM »

No. Trump will be the nominee again if he goes for it, and I'm pretty certain that he will at this point.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2021, 04:47:04 PM »

We knew during the 2nd impeachment vote
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2021, 09:00:59 PM »

No. Trump will be the nominee again if he goes for it, and I'm pretty certain that he will at this point.

All of the Florida Republicans at this point are trying to become his protégé while Pence seeks returning to his graces.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies