New England Election Game Proposal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:43:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  New England Election Game Proposal
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New England Election Game Proposal  (Read 749 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 29, 2020, 02:58:10 PM »

The previous parliamentary election game I tried twice to start was simply too complicated, and I couldn't figure out the best way to determine the seats. So I am borrowing a map of New England in a proportional representation scenario. The background is that Britain holds on to New England during the revolution, ultimately awarding the Commonwealth of New England a wide deal of autonomy similar to the creation of Canada.

Each player would choose a party and campaign in each province, with the aim of trying to win a majority of the 175 seats (88 for majority). I have to clean the map up more (MA has two more seats than they should) and make the dots of orange into gray. But this will take off quicker because the proportional party list system would make the results way, way, way more easier to simulate. I want to start with the 2010 election, and then do more later on, with the intention of making the mock parliament simulation after the election game portion is completed.

The parties in Parliament are as followed:

Progressive Conservative (Peter MacKay): The Progressive Conservatives are the chief right of center party within New England, advocating a message of liberal-conservatism that promotes free enterprise while preserving the existing social welfare programs. The party is also known for it's staunch support for free trade with it's American neighbors in the United States, Quebec, and Mexico. Led by Nova Scotian MP Peter MacKay, the party is hoping that public dissatisfaction with the embattled government of Prime Minister Chris Dodd will propel them to victory.

Social Democratic & Labor (Chris Dodd): Despite calls for his resignation over allegations of corruption, Dodd has affirmed his intention to lead the SDLP into the next election despite worsening poll numbers. Dodd is convinced that he can turn around the SDLP's fortunes around as the economy worsens, due to the Progressive Conservatives support for austerity at a time when many in New England are suffering from unemployment or financial difficulties.

Liberal - Reform Alli ance (Lincoln Chafee): The Liberal - Reform Alliance was born out of a merger between the dying Liberal Party and the growing Reform Party, with Lincoln Chafee as the party's leader. Running on a pragmatic platform that highlights an agenda of governmental reform, anti-corruption, and a platform that embraces social liberalism, Chafee is hoping that public anger at the two main parties could result in the Alliance becoming the kingmaker in a potential hung parliament scenario.

Bloc Acadian (Dominic LeBlanc): The Bloc Acadian is a regionalist party that promotes Francophone interests. The party is primarily active in Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, and like the Liberals, they could potentially find themselves in a position to support or bring down a government.

Grassroots (Elizabeth May): The Grassroots Party was formed in 1999 when Ralph Nader's Ecology Party merged with a number of smaller provincial parties, such as the Liberty Union Party of Vermont and the Working Families Party of Connecticut, etc, etc. With concerns growing about climate change, the party is hoping to make a historic breakthrough due to the implementation of electoral reform.

So yeah, this project seems more manageable and easily done. If it garners enough interest, I'll launch a sign up thread and flesh out the background more.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 03:46:12 PM »

Grassroots.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 03:51:07 PM »

This thread is just discussion, I still have to make a post about the rules. It’ll be done soon.
RGM2609
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 05:10:37 PM »

I'd be interested in the Liberal-Reform Alliance
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 05:12:12 PM »

Both parties are granted. We’ll need an SDLP and PC player but also a Acadian player as well.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 04:37:36 PM »

Ill take the SDLP if possible
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 12:52:02 AM »

Locking this thread to prevent anyone joining by mistake as its GM is banned.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies