Any good presidential election computer games?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:34:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Any good presidential election computer games?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any good presidential election computer games?  (Read 1395 times)
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2020, 01:29:12 AM »

I am only familiar with Campaign Trail (pretty good for a free game), President Infinity (not realistic enough to justify buying it), and some emulator of a game that was made in 1992.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 08:24:35 AM »

I am only familiar with Campaign Trail (pretty good for a free game), President Infinity (not realistic enough to justify buying it), and some emulator of a game that was made in 1992.
The Political Process is a good one if you have a windows computer and have Steam.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 04:37:14 PM »

The Political Process is a good one if you have a windows computer and have Steam.
How does it compare to other games (such as Democracy 3) in terms of realism?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 04:45:25 PM »

It's pretty realistic, sure there might be some outdated stuff due to averages of all senate/presidential elections combined to create an average. You can govern and all that as well.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 04:51:51 PM »

It's pretty realistic, sure there might be some outdated stuff due to averages of all senate/presidential elections combined to create an average. You can govern and all that as well.
Please explain what you mean by this.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 04:56:30 PM »

You can't win as a Democrat in Texas or Georgia on the normal modes because of the fact that the Democrats did bad in Senate/Presidential elections until then and you can win as a Democrat in West Virginia, but I'm not sure if you could do it now and Iowa and Ohio is pretty close in elections because of that.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 05:11:04 PM »

You can't win as a Democrat in Texas or Georgia on the normal modes because of the fact that the Democrats did bad in Senate/Presidential elections until then and you can win as a Democrat in West Virginia, but I'm not sure if you could do it now and Iowa and Ohio is pretty close in elections because of that.
Is it possible to adjust this with a DLC?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 05:29:32 PM »

There is a way to change it as people make presets and I'd go to a fan discord server
https://discord.com/invite/wrrUnmh and ask at the #advanced-options and presets section how to change the presets and what are the presets there.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 08:45:35 PM »

https://classicreload.com/win3x-power-politics.html

Long, but fun!
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 04:42:47 PM »

This was the "game from 1992" I was alluding to. I would need help figuring it out.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 06:35:35 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2021, 06:22:29 PM by DT »

The Campaign Trail really is the best presidential campaign simulator available.  The choices you make seem real, imply tradeoffs and dynamically affect the story and events of the campaign.  It satisfies the deep itch that players like us have:  role-playing, as opposed to dressed-up spreadsheets and mathematic resource-management that underly games like President Infinity.

The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 11:09:53 PM »

The Campaign Trail really is the best presidential campaign simulator available.  The choices you make seem real, imply tradeoffs and dynamically affect the story and events of the campaign.  It satisfies the deep itch that players like us want:  role-playing, as opposed to dressed-up spreadsheets and mathematic resource-management that underly games like President Infinity.

This is disappointing if true. The game is alright, but certainly there should be something better from this genre.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 01:24:15 PM »

The Campaign Trail really is the best presidential campaign simulator available.  The choices you make seem real, imply tradeoffs and dynamically affect the story and events of the campaign.  It satisfies the deep itch that players like us want:  role-playing, as opposed to dressed-up spreadsheets and mathematic resource-management that underly games like President Infinity.

This actually hits the nail on the head with PI; I've only ever had one game where I felt a genuine challenge (was Guilani running in 08 against Obama and I must have dumped about £70 million into NY only to lose it by 1% while narrowly losing Virginia & Michigan)

The game eventually becomes stale; even as a low ranking candidate you just camp out in Iowa and watch yourself climb before getting a boost before Super Tuesday. The AI spends money at a stupid rate so you always end up facing bankrupted opponents
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 01:04:02 PM »

There is a way to change it as people make presets and I'd go to a fan discord server
https://discord.com/invite/wrrUnmh and ask at the #advanced-options and presets section how to change the presets and what are the presets there.

I will just add that the developers are constantly upgrading the game as well.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2020, 11:32:50 AM »

This actually hits the nail on the head with PI; I've only ever had one game where I felt a genuine challenge (was Guilani running in 08 against Obama and I must have dumped about £70 million into NY only to lose it by 1% while narrowly losing Virginia & Michigan)

The game eventually becomes stale; even as a low ranking candidate you just camp out in Iowa and watch yourself climb before getting a boost before Super Tuesday. The AI spends money at a stupid rate so you always end up facing bankrupted opponents

I think the problem with President Infinity is more fundamental than that.  Within the current game dynamic, it's at least possible the AI could be modded/improved or buffed in such a way to make the game more challenging. 

However, I think the real reason the game goes stale rather quickly is because leaking a "Power 9" scandal, trumping in a debate, or getting the "Big Mo" is stale when there's no narrative or backstory to accompany it.  What gives IRL presidential campaigns their rhythm and drama are the personalities that inhabit them.  PI ignores this factor by making all candidates and campaigns fundamentally the same.  While different campaigns may have different issues and candidates different characteristics, these dynamics work by simply lying "on top" of the game's base simulation rather than being employed as a way to generate the plot.

The contrast offered by the Campaign Trail is night-and-day.  In a fundamental break from PI and the rest of the campaign management genre, there're no resources (command points, stamina, campaign cash, etc.) to manage.  Instead, the march to election day is conceptualized as a series of mutually-exclusive decisions dynamically presented to the player as the game progresses.  The result is simply genius because it achieves something other campaign management games have not:  a genuine sense of role-playing for the player that allows him to engross himself in narrative scenarios like "what if JFK had run as a champion of civil rights?  Jimmy Carter as an ideological liberal? or Gore had campaigned with Clinton?"  That sense of alternate history is always what players of these games have longed for.  The tradeoff for this type of game is a small number of scenarios and limited replayability, but the game designer was smart to inject some amount of randomness into the design so that the results never seem too pre-cooked.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2020, 08:37:11 PM »

The Campaign Trail really is the best presidential campaign simulator available.  The choices you make seem real, imply tradeoffs and dynamically affect the story and events of the campaign.  It satisfies the deep itch that players like us want:  role-playing, as opposed to dressed-up spreadsheets and mathematic resource-management that underly games like President Infinity.

I think the problem with President Infinity is more fundamental than that.  Within the current game dynamic, it's at least possible the AI could be modded/improved or buffed in such a way to make the game more challenging.  

However, I think the real reason the game goes stale rather quickly is because leaking a "Power 9" scandal, trumping in a debate, or getting the "Big Mo" is stale when there's no narrative or backstory to accompany it.  What gives IRL presidential campaigns their rhythm and drama are the personalities that inhabit them.  PI ignores this factor by making all candidates and campaigns fundamentally the same.  While different campaigns may have different issues and candidates different characteristics, these dynamics work by simply lying "on top" of the game's base simulation rather than being employed as a way to generate the plot.

The contrast offered by the Campaign Trail is night-and-day.  In a fundamental break from PI and the rest of the campaign management genre, there're no resources (command points, stamina, campaign cash, etc.) to manage.  Instead, the march to election day is conceptualized as a series of mutually-exclusive decisions dynamically presented to the player as the game progresses.  The result is simply genius because it achieves something other campaign management games have not:  a genuine sense of role-playing for the player that allows him to engross himself in narrative scenarios like "what if JFK had run as a champion of civil rights?  Jimmy Carter as an ideological liberal? or Gore had campaigned with Clinton?"  That sense of alternate history is always what players of these games have longed for.  The tradeoff for this type of game is a small number of scenarios and limited replayability, but the game designer was smart to inject some amount of randomness into the design so that the results never seem too pre-cooked.

Yeah I basically agree with everything you’ve said in this thread. I still play PI because it’s better than nothing and sometimes I like the resource management side of things where it’s more purely mathematical/strategic and less about role playing the different political stances and policy positions you can adopt, changing historical narratives, etc. like you can with Campaign Trail. But generally I find the latter more interesting. These days when I play PI I usually mess around with the campaigns in the editor significantly, and/or play more evenly matched campaigns (like 2004 which I did earlier today). I also usually skip the primaries because they’re boring and can make the game too easy if you lock up the nomination early and get a huge head start for the general over your opponent.

But yeah, it’s nothing like playing as a Dukakis who goes relentlessly on the attack (I’ve won 1988 on impossible doing that!) or as a moderate, non-treasonous Nixon/Romney ticket in 1968, or a a Truman who doesn’t adopt a Civil Rights plank so he sweeps the South but loses ground in the North. You’re right that in Campaign Trail, unlike PI, it actually feels like the candidates you are playing as matter and aren’t just interchangeable with one another. And similarly, feels like the decisions you make have a real impact and are plausibly based in real history; you’re not just painting the map different colors over time by bombarding states with ads.

A best of both worlds game might combine the more complex campaign strategy elements from PI with more historical scenarios and events you can respond to like in Campaign Trail. Would be an ambitious game to pull off correctly though, and I’m not sure the audience for it is big enough for any developers who might have the resources to do it to bother, sadly.
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 03:50:57 AM »

'The Political Campaign 2016' (Other years are available) was fun until I realized you could just play as Michael Bloomberg and spam the country with TV ads to win in a landslide. It's a winning strategy on any difficulty, every time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies