MD-SEN 2022: Hogan not running
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:25:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-SEN 2022: Hogan not running
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: MD-SEN 2022: Hogan not running  (Read 3006 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2021, 02:27:51 PM »

Likely D, but Dems are going to be forced to burn lots of money here then (ugh)
UncleSam

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2021, 02:55:34 PM »

If you read the article he basically says what Bullock said: I wanna run for president but am not 100% ruling out a senate bid.

I really don’t think he goes for it. I think he tried a long shot presidential bid in 2024 then, when he loses in the primary, retired to private life.

He’d get clobbered by Van Hollen anyway. If it were an open seat it might be a race to have on the edge of competitiveness.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2021, 06:05:49 PM »

He wouldn’t win a general election anyway, probably wouldn’t even come within 10% of Van Hollen, but I doubt he’d win a primary. Maryland has closed party primaries and Trump would endorse his opponent out of spite.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2021, 06:20:46 PM »

This clown deserves all the humiliation he can get after running this state into the ground on the back of suburban racism for the past six years.

If he actually runs and does better than Steele in '06, then I'll switch my voter registration to Republican.

It's not really suburban racism, it is called common sense.

A lot of voters don't like the way Baltimore is being run, they feel it is dragging the state down. Hogan ran to fix those things. When cities do well, the states do well...
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2021, 06:26:29 PM »

This clown deserves all the humiliation he can get after running this state into the ground on the back of suburban racism for the past six years.

If he actually runs and does better than Steele in '06, then I'll switch my voter registration to Republican.

It's not really suburban racism, it is called common sense.

A lot of voters don't like the way Baltimore is being run, they feel it is dragging the state down. Hogan ran to fix those things. When cities do well, the states do well...

There's a difference between acknowledging the deep systemic rot in the city's governance and wanting to deprive it of state assistance for no clear reason other than cultural grievances. If the Red Line wasn't cancelled and replaced with highway expansions in heavily white areas over racial animus, then what, pray tell, was the reason?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2021, 06:29:36 PM »

The only reason I can think of for Hogan to run is to keep himself relevant for an equally futile 2024 national run. He will be Bullocked/Bredesened but possibly do worse than either of them-I can't see Hogan winning over the Maryland Trumpists anymore.

But unfortunately this will indeed be a very negative side effect. Maybe it'll help convince the party to not spread themselves thin by wasting time contesting Florida, Iowa, and Ohio if they absolutely have to spend money here.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2021, 06:30:16 PM »

You are right. Unfortunately, that means that Chris Sununu, Adam Laxalt, Herschel Walker, Mark Brnovich, and possibly Tulsi Gabbard if she decides to run as a Trump aligned Independent Republican are pretty much assured of victory now.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2021, 06:31:15 PM »

Larry Hogan I think could win as an independent who caucus with the Democrats assuming that Joe Biden gets more unpopular by 2022.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2021, 06:54:17 AM »

He's not going to win, but he might divert some D money from more competitive races. For this reason, I hope he doesn't run.
Leroy McPherson fan
Leroymcphersonfan
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2021, 07:55:56 AM »
« Edited: October 09, 2021, 08:40:01 AM by Leroy McPherson fan »

Will Hogan run?
https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=466328.0
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2021, 08:33:23 AM »

Steele is trying to run for Gov and Hogan wants to run for SEN as well, Hogan said there isn't any time table to run
slothdem

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2021, 08:39:23 AM »

Maryland has the same left trend as Georgia and Virginia, but started out 30 and 20 points to the left of those states. It is the least winnable state for a Republican at the federal level. If Hogan were to run he could return Frederick and Anne Arundel County to the R column, but he would not come within 15 and possibly even 20 points of Van Hollen.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2021, 10:09:18 AM »

I have my doubts he’d even make it out of the primary, and if he did, he still won’t get within 10% of Van Hollen.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2021, 10:10:38 AM »

Maryland has the same left trend as Georgia and Virginia, but started out 30 and 20 points to the left of those states. It is the least winnable state for a Republican at the federal level. If Hogan were to run he could return Frederick and Anne Arundel County to the R column, but he would not come within 15 and possibly even 20 points of Van Hollen.

Anne Arundel might even be too far gone for a moderate Republican to win in a federal race. There’s not many D+15 places Republicans can win at the federal level.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2021, 10:24:34 AM »

Bruh. Larry Hogan is no racist.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2021, 12:18:46 PM »

He could be a reverse Phil Bredesen. He won’t win but he could turn a 25 point loss into a 10 point one. And he might be able to lay out a trap for Democrats to throw away money in a deep red state.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2021, 12:41:15 PM »

He could be a reverse Phil Bredesen. He won’t win but he could turn a 25 point loss into a 10 point one. And he might be able to lay out a trap for Democrats to throw away money in a deep red state.

I don’t buy the “money trap” argument anymore. Democrats won’t lose NH, AZ, NV or GA for a lack of money. Look at the Democratic fundraising numbers compared to the Republicans. It will be for other reasons.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2021, 12:56:16 PM »

I don’t buy the “money trap” argument anymore. Democrats won’t lose NH, AZ, NV or GA for a lack of money. Look at the Democratic fundraising numbers compared to the Republicans. It will be for other reasons.

Well they have a finite amount of resources they can use. Any money spent on MD is money that could easily have been spent elsewhere.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2021, 12:59:35 PM »

Steve Bullock and Phil Bredesen say hello.

He wouldn't stand a chance in a general election for a national election. Unfortunately, his political career ends here since he's also DOA in a presidential primary.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2021, 01:59:38 PM »

He'd be a serious underdog to put it mildly.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2021, 02:17:21 PM »

Well they have a finite amount of resources they can use. Any money spent on MD is money that could easily have been spent elsewhere.

Not gonna matter. The only Senate race Democrats have lost due to a lack of comparative resources in the past decade was Florida in 2018.  That race was obviously an anomaly.m with the unlimited resources of the Republican.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2021, 04:34:39 PM »

He wouldn't stand a chance in a general election for a national election. Unfortunately, his political career ends here since he's also DOA in a presidential primary.

Bredesen still only lost by 10 instead of the usual 25-point loss in TN.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2021, 07:12:56 PM »

Bredesen still only lost by 10 instead of the usual 25-point loss in TN.

If Hogan were to overperform as much as Bredesen did, which was by 15%, he’d still lose by 18 points.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2021, 07:21:53 PM »

Honestly, the biggest issue for Hogan isn't the partisan lean, it's that the two Senators are essentially Generic D and pretty well-regarded. It might have been possible to overcome the partisan lean with a controversial, divisive, or corrupt Senator, but not with Cardin or Van Hollen.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2021, 07:32:42 PM »

Honestly, the biggest issue for Hogan isn't the partisan lean, it's that the two Senators are essentially Generic D and pretty well-regarded. It might have been possible to overcome the partisan lean with a controversial, divisive, or corrupt Senator, but not with Cardin or Van Hollen.

Someone like Hogan can beat a Menendez type....

Likely/Safe D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies